Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm seeing $850 round trip on Korean Air for roundtrip to Manilla from Chicago.

There is also United for a few more, but I was wondering if Korean Air is good?

My rule of thumb is to always go with the foreign-based airline unless the domestic carrier is presenting you with significant savings. The customer service and in-flight experience tends to be much better.

Also, give your dates of travel so we can see if there's anything else out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm flexible so mid to late March and into April for two weeks. I'd like to leave and come back on a Saturday. I'm not staying in Manilla and will be heading to Iriga City to visit my PeaceCorps friend.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 20, 2015

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Korean is good, Incheon Airport is great. Check if that's actually staffed by Korean or if it's a codeshare with a US airline.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm flexible so mid to late March and into April for two weeks. I'd like to leave and come back on a Saturday. I'm not staying in Manilla and will be heading to Iriga City to visit my PeaceCorps friend.

I've got Korean air out of ORD to MNL 03/23 to 04/06 at $796/pp. 2 hour layover heading to MNL and a 5 hour heading back to ORD. Not terrible for a trans-Pacific flight.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Do airlines have to be in the same alliance in order to be part of the same ticket?

I'm asking because I'm planning to go from Billund, Denmark (BLL) to Santa Cruz de la Palma (SPC), one of the smaller Canary Islands. Just searching with those two airports as parameters I only find flights with at least 2 stops. On one search engine, however, (travelmarket.dk) there is a direct charter flight (Primera Air) from Billund to Gran Canaria (LPA), one of the big Canary Islands. There are also a bunch of flights between Gran Canaria and la Palma operated by local Canarian airlines. My plan is therefore to go BLL -> LPA -> SPC.

Here is my problem: Such a flight doesn't show up on the search engines. So it seems I have to get one ticket BLL -> LPA and then another one for LPA -> SPC. This means I would have to get my luggage and check in again in LPA. There is enough time to do so, but I would rather not do it if I can avoid it.

Am I just poo poo out of luck or is there a way to get both flights on one ticket?

vvvvvvv Yeah ok. Thanks.

Per fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 21, 2015

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You'll have to book separately.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Per posted:

Do airlines have to be in the same alliance in order to be part of the same ticket?

I'm asking because I'm planning to go from Billund, Denmark (BLL) to Santa Cruz de la Palma (SPC), one of the smaller Canary Islands. Just searching with those two airports as parameters I only find flights with at least 2 stops. On one search engine, however, (travelmarket.dk) there is a direct charter flight (Primera Air) from Billund to Gran Canaria (LPA), one of the big Canary Islands. There are also a bunch of flights between Gran Canaria and la Palma operated by local Canarian airlines. My plan is therefore to go BLL -> LPA -> SPC.

Here is my problem: Such a flight doesn't show up on the search engines. So it seems I have to get one ticket BLL -> LPA and then another one for LPA -> SPC. This means I would have to get my luggage and check in again in LPA. There is enough time to do so, but I would rather not do it if I can avoid it.

Am I just poo poo out of luck or is there a way to get both flights on one ticket?

vvvvvvv Yeah ok. Thanks.

You'll need two separate tickets, but you can check each carrier's baggage interline agreement to see if you can check your bags in BLL all the way to SPC. Depending on the airline, it might work.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to get to Central Asia that isn't really expensive. I don't know exact dates yet but I've been using Feb 3 to 23 as a guess, so assume flexible. I'd be flying out of Chengdu and would be okay with basically anywhere in Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, or Dushanbe in Tajikistan. Almaty seems to have the cheapest flights that I can find but I'm not really interested in going there.

Chengdu -> Tashkent would be the ideal route. The cheapest I can find is $1,200 though and is an absurd route of Chengdu -> Xian -> Incheon -> Tashkent.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Play around with skypicker and their radius search. If you think that's an absurd route, I found a Chengdu - Bishkek flight for $900, via Guangzhou, Urumqi and Moscow.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That is a neat site for me right now since I'm pretty wide open about destinations but staring at my wallet with fear.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to get to Central Asia that isn't really expensive. I don't know exact dates yet but I've been using Feb 3 to 23 as a guess, so assume flexible. I'd be flying out of Chengdu and would be okay with basically anywhere in Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, or Dushanbe in Tajikistan. Almaty seems to have the cheapest flights that I can find but I'm not really interested in going there.

Chengdu -> Tashkent would be the ideal route. The cheapest I can find is $1,200 though and is an absurd route of Chengdu -> Xian -> Incheon -> Tashkent.

February 4-26, $567USD CTU-TAS with a plane change in PEK on China Southern with an overnight in PEK. $655 for a quick connection in URC.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tashkent is def more interesting than Dushanbe, hth

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Norwegian Air goes from Oakland to Amsterdam, but not from Amsterdam to Oakland. What gives? That just seems really weird to me. Sucks because the other airlines seem significantly more expensive.

Bobalbmi posted:

Real truth question here:

How is Norwegian for long haul? Prices are super low, but the lady is afraid of flying for so cheap for safety and comfort.
I used them to go from Oakland to Copenhagen (initial leg: Oakland to Oslo) and they were fine. Having a 787 was nice, it has a USB port built into the seat's LCD screen, and there's also a regular power plug underneath each seat. I'm really skinny though so I don't know small seats as much.

edit: hmm, the flight from Oakland to Amsterdam isn't direct, maybe it's just that their flight calendar doesn't factor in stopping at hubs going the other way?

edit2: ok yeah, that was why.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 8, 2015

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Trying to fly to india for a wedding...

Departing Washington DC. Need to be in Kolkata, India for a wedding starting noon March 9, 2016 through 3pm on March 11, 2016. I would like to fly business class to and from India. If there is an airline I can fly a B747, that would be cool because I've never flown one. I have American Airlines miles to use

While in india, I would like to do 1-2 day visit to Delhi (long enough for the day trip to Taj and Ft. Agra), Goa and Chennai (on a saturday night) (either before or after the wedding).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dexter6 posted:

Trying to fly to india for a wedding...

Departing Washington DC. Need to be in Kolkata, India for a wedding starting noon March 9, 2016 through 3pm on March 11, 2016. I would like to fly business class to and from India. If there is an airline I can fly a B747, that would be cool because I've never flown one. I have American Airlines miles to use

While in india, I would like to do 1-2 day visit to Delhi (long enough for the day trip to Taj and Ft. Agra), Goa and Chennai (on a saturday night) (either before or after the wedding).

Qatar Airways is in the oneworld alliance, so you should be able to use AA miles, and you can do Washington-Kolkata with a single layover. The other one-stop option is Emirates, but you probably won't be able to use your miles. None of those fly the 747, unfortunately. You could try British Airways to use your miles and possibly get on a 747, but it will probably involve changing planes in India in addition to London. Lufthansa is another big operator of the 747, so you could try an itinerary with them, but I doubt you could do any part of that with AA miles.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Flying BA on miles is a bad value, they're going to kill you on fuel surcharge.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Yep, I ended up doing:
IAD -> DOH -> CCU (Qatar Business)
CCU -> MAA
MAA -> HYD -> GOI
GOI -> DEL
DEL -> DOH -> BOS (Qatar Business)
BOS -> DCA (AA First)

I'm pretty happy!

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
For as little as possible, ideally less than $500, at most $700, I'm looking to vacation somewhere:
- not in the Americas
- ideally warm, but not a deal-breaker
- ideally cheap, but not a deal-breaker
- leaving anytime as of tomorrow and returning by Dec 12
- duration of 2-3 weeks
- not just a beach vacation, but other than that anything goes
- I'm currently in Toronto but am happy to make a side trip anywhere between Chicago, New York, and Boston, make a side trip of it, etc.

Yeah, that's about it. Any leads? Would a travel agent be able to help me with something like this?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Kasumeat posted:

For as little as possible, ideally less than $500, at most $700, I'm looking to vacation somewhere:
- not in the Americas
- duration of 2-3 weeks
- I'm currently in Toronto but am happy to make a side trip anywhere between Chicago, New York, and Boston, make a side trip of it, etc.

Yeah, that's about it. Any leads? Would a travel agent be able to help me with something like this?

I think the only place now in the Americas that you can reliably get to on that budget in that timeframe is Iceland. It won't be warm, but it'll hit the rest of your checkboxes. You can get to Beijing or Shanghai for ~800. There have been some deals on India around that price on Secretflying recently, but not last-minute. Good luck.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Kasumeat posted:

- not in the Americas
- duration of 2-3 weeks

Yeah, you're not having all those things. Iceland is a decent option, but anything more adventurous is going to require more money.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kasumeat posted:

- not in the Americas
- duration of 2-3 weeks

Is that the price of the flight, or the vacation? This:

http://www.kayak.com/explore/YTO/20151119,20151231/

is good for seeing where you can get to and it does look like you have some Caribbean/Latin America options, but if that's your total budget, yeah...

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mackieman posted:

Yeah, you're not having all those things. Iceland is a decent option, but anything more adventurous is going to require more money.

Iceland in December would be the exact polar opposite of what he wants. It's cold, snowy, and mostly dark (5-7 hours of daylight).

Kasumeat posted:

- not in the Americas
- duration of 2-3 weeks

I've got YYZ to Rio de Janeiro November 23 to December 7th for $509 on Air Canada. I know it's in the Americas, but it checks all of your other boxes.

Oddly enough, Portugal is cheap right now too. I've got YYZ to Lisbon, Portugal with a departure date of November 28th and coming back December 11th. Direct flight with SATA (:shrug:) $549 I'm seeing similar prices to Madrid.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 20, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I've got YYZ to Rio de Janeiro November 23 to December 7th for $509 on Air Canada. I know it's in the Americas, but it checks all of your other boxes.

Oddly enough, Portugal is cheap right now too. I've got YYZ to Lisbon, Portugal with a departure date of November 28th and coming back December 11th. Direct flight with SATA (:shrug:) $549 I'm seeing similar prices to Madrid.

Are you sure you're not looking at things in USD? Because the CAD is poo poo right now, I get the Rio flight at $678 CAD, assuming it's the same one, and $549USD is definitely over 700 Canadian.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

HookShot posted:

Are you sure you're not looking at things in USD? Because the CAD is poo poo right now, I get the Rio flight at $678 CAD, assuming it's the same one, and $549USD is definitely over 700 Canadian.

Stupid CAD. :argh: Yes those are USD prices. Also, holy poo poo what happened to the Canadian dollar.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh yeah, boy, I don't know that you can go anywhere outside of the Americas for that much in CAD. 500-700 CAD = 375-525 USD.

Just go to Costa Rica. It's in season and ticks all the boxes other than the Americas thing.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Iceland in December would be the exact polar opposite of what he wants. It's cold, snowy, and mostly dark (5-7 hours of daylight).

Lisbon is exactly what I ended up doing! It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but as you've all mentioned it's not gonna get any better than that. Thanks thread.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Kasumeat posted:

Lisbon is exactly what I ended up doing! It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but as you've all mentioned it's not gonna get any better than that. Thanks thread.

Awesome, glad we were able to help. Portugal and Spain are on my short list of next places to see.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Awesome, glad we were able to help. Portugal and Spain are on my short list of next places to see.

I'm doing Lisbon and Porto in January, high on my list as well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Stupid CAD. :argh: Yes those are USD prices. Also, holy poo poo what happened to the Canadian dollar.

Turns out our economy is 100% oil based.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

^
lol

Mackieman posted:

I'm doing Lisbon and Porto in January, high on my list as well.

I'm pretty drat jealous of the price available to him. $549 trans-atlantic to a desirable location is amazing. Not that I'm considering a trip, but I can't get within $200 of that price anywhere along the eastern seaboard.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Not sure if this is the best thread, but thought someone in here might be knowledgeable...

I'm a US Citizen and I hold a passport with a Business Visa for India. I got it from work a while back, and turns out after apply for the visa changed roles in the company and have very little business need to go to India.

I am headed to India for a wedding soon. Do I need to apply for a different type of visa or is mine going to be fine? (it's valid for several more years)

Thanks!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

dexter6 posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread, but thought someone in here might be knowledgeable...

I'm a US Citizen and I hold a passport with a Business Visa for India. I got it from work a while back, and turns out after apply for the visa changed roles in the company and have very little business need to go to India.

I am headed to India for a wedding soon. Do I need to apply for a different type of visa or is mine going to be fine? (it's valid for several more years)

Thanks!

Enter business on the entry forms and then do whatever the hell you want. I have a 10 year business visa for China and I've gone on personal trips with no issues. No one cares what you're doing once you're there unless you're doing something in need of watching.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I just wanted to share some experiences and ask some questions since I'm on babby's first business trip.

China Southern Airlines: I flew CZ658, from San Francisco to Guangzhou --I chose the flight because I'm not paying for it and it's the only direct flight on that route (that I'm aware of). It was my first time on a 787 and while the purplish electronically dimming windows were kind of annoying, it's the quietest and most vibration-free plane ride I've been on. Also, the cabin pressure was significantly better than anything else I've flown on, my ears never popped. The major downside was that the economy seats have no cushioning are probably designed to Asian people specifications. I'm 6'2" and I had to toss the magazines from the seat pocket onto the floor to fit. I've never had that happen before.

However I can't recommend China Southern unless you speak Chinese or know somebody who does. They don't have US-based customer service nor are their English-speaking agents fluent. Perhaps they'll get better in time. They asked everybody to fill out a review of the flight online. I thought it was for internal use, but they actually just want you to post positively on an Australian flight-review site to boost their rating... Sketchy.

Last night I canceled my China Southern return flight and bought a flight to Taipei on Tuesday for a few days vacation before I go home on the 29th.

Here's where things get a little strange. Hipmunk found a multi-city ticket from CAN-TPE-SFO on China Airlines (CI522 and CI4), but the ticket wasn't bookable on China Airlines' website. Priceline continually failed at checkout despite listing it. I found the same ticket on Expedia and it wouldn't book either. Eventually, I was able to book the ticket through Hong Kong's Expedia and got a confirmation.

Should I be concerned about this?

Despite paying for economy seats, my ticket is coded 'W', which means premium economy, I think. I discovered this when I tried to choose seats and found that my first flight's seat was already assigned to a seat in premium economy. I can't choose seats for my second flight, China Airlines' website says that all seats are already selected.

I read that Taiwan's civil aviation authority requires that new planes rack up mileage before they're used for international travel, which explains them using a 777-300ER for a 2-hour flight. I'm extremely stoked I got upgraded seats.

However, I'm worried about not being able to choose a seat for the TPE-SFO flight. How likely am I to be kicked off if I check-in online and show up to the airport two hours early? My gut tells me that I'm the first to go since I have a premium seat at a cheap price. I'm flying with one other person, if it makes a difference.

Thanks guys :)

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

meatpotato posted:

I just wanted to share some experiences and ask some questions since I'm on babby's first business trip.

China Southern Airlines: I flew CZ658, from San Francisco to Guangzhou --I chose the flight because I'm not paying for it and it's the only direct flight on that route (that I'm aware of). It was my first time on a 787 and while the purplish electronically dimming windows were kind of annoying, it's the quietest and most vibration-free plane ride I've been on. Also, the cabin pressure was significantly better than anything else I've flown on, my ears never popped. The major downside was that the economy seats have no cushioning are probably designed to Asian people specifications. I'm 6'2" and I had to toss the magazines from the seat pocket onto the floor to fit. I've never had that happen before.

However I can't recommend China Southern unless you speak Chinese or know somebody who does. They don't have US-based customer service nor are their English-speaking agents fluent. Perhaps they'll get better in time. They asked everybody to fill out a review of the flight online. I thought it was for internal use, but they actually just want you to post positively on an Australian flight-review site to boost their rating... Sketchy.

Last night I canceled my China Southern return flight and bought a flight to Taipei on Tuesday for a few days vacation before I go home on the 29th.

Here's where things get a little strange. Hipmunk found a multi-city ticket from CAN-TPE-SFO on China Airlines (CI522 and CI4), but the ticket wasn't bookable on China Airlines' website. Priceline continually failed at checkout despite listing it. I found the same ticket on Expedia and it wouldn't book either. Eventually, I was able to book the ticket through Hong Kong's Expedia and got a confirmation.

Should I be concerned about this?

Despite paying for economy seats, my ticket is coded 'W', which means premium economy, I think. I discovered this when I tried to choose seats and found that my first flight's seat was already assigned to a seat in premium economy. I can't choose seats for my second flight, China Airlines' website says that all seats are already selected.

I read that Taiwan's civil aviation authority requires that new planes rack up mileage before they're used for international travel, which explains them using a 777-300ER for a 2-hour flight. I'm extremely stoked I got upgraded seats.

However, I'm worried about not being able to choose a seat for the TPE-SFO flight. How likely am I to be kicked off if I check-in online and show up to the airport two hours early? My gut tells me that I'm the first to go since I have a premium seat at a cheap price. I'm flying with one other person, if it makes a difference.

Thanks guys :)

The 787 has the worst legroom in all configs except JAL's 2-4-2

CAN-TPE is not a domestic flight. They might be using the 77W just because they don't want it to sit around between longer missions. Also, many Asian flights are flown with widebodies even though they're short flights. Lots of 777 domestics in Japan, China and Korea. If your ticket shows up on the airline's website you don't have reason to be worried. If you get kicked off, they need to reroute you. In many jurisdictions (no idea about China), you can get compensation for delays as well. Showing up early always helps.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Whip Slagcheek posted:

^
lol

I'm pretty drat jealous of the price available to him. $549 trans-atlantic to a desirable location is amazing. Not that I'm considering a trip, but I can't get within $200 of that price anywhere along the eastern seaboard.

SATA has a cheap Boston-Lisbon route too, usually costs around $270-300 each way. Here's some random dates,.

Note that for some reason it's usually a little cheaper to buy their flights as two separate one-way tickets instead of a round trip for the same dates.

edit also that is not an unusual price for SATA. That's about what I paid around 18 months ago too.

duralict fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 22, 2015

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Geriatric Pirate posted:

The 787 has the worst legroom in all configs except JAL's 2-4-2

CAN-TPE is not a domestic flight. They might be using the 77W just because they don't want it to sit around between longer missions. Also, many Asian flights are flown with widebodies even though they're short flights. Lots of 777 domestics in Japan, China and Korea. If your ticket shows up on the airline's website you don't have reason to be worried. If you get kicked off, they need to reroute you. In many jurisdictions (no idea about China), you can get compensation for delays as well. Showing up early always helps.

You are correct, CAN-TPE is an international flight, despite what the Chinese government pushes on its people. I had a driver here tell me that soon Japan and Korea must admit their Chinese heritage and ought to be reunified with China too, not just Taiwan :wtf:.

I meant to say long-distance overseas travel. I can't find the rules in English, but this is what a Chinese-speaker told me as an explanation for them using a 777-300ER. I can't verify it myself though.

Thanks for the soothing words, I'm only worried because I have work the day after I get back.

Hunter2 Thompson fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 23, 2015

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I would recommend contacting the airlines directly to confirm your flight every time you book 3rd party. Especially if traveling on sketchy airlines.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone dealt with a situation where a return flight A<->B was much more expensive (like almost 2x) than B<->A?

My aunt wanted to come over for the holidays from a 3rd world shithole but couldn't afford the tickets, so I offered to check it out for her, and it turned out that anything going FROM there is almost twice as much as I paid to go THERE like in March, and still more expensive than going in this direction right now. Any ideas how to get around this?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 23, 2015

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone dealt with a situation where a return flight A<->B was much more expensive (like almost 2x) than B<->A?

My aunt wanted to come over for the holidays from a 3rd world shithole but couldn't afford the tickets, so I offered to check it out for her, and it turned out that anything going FROM there is almost twice as much as I paid to go THERE like in March, and still more expensive than going in this direction right now. Any ideas how to get around this?

Regularly. Some tickets don't have a round trip pricing component so the ticket prices as two one-ways. Because of market-based pricing, one segment can be vastly more expensive than the other. Not much you can do about it unless you find a nice hidden city ticket or change origin/destination. Nearby airports are usually the best way to overcome this sort of issue. If you'll provide the to/from and some dates, we'll take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Different countries have different peak travel seasons and airport taxes etc. Try alternative dates and/or round about routes.