Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Thanks for the explanation! I guess I'll if I feal a difference when my X450s arrive in 4-6 weeks. ALso i don't know if fine will make me a better writter. But medium feels to fat I have to write big words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The more I use my Metro, the more I like it. Why is my cheapest pen the favorite? :psyduck:

I feel bad for neglecting my Lamy 2000 and my Vanishing Point for so long...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You're a monster. You should send that Lamy and VP to me for their protection

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

The Metro is a bomb-rear end pen, man. No shame in loving it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Anybody have recommendations for cheapish pens with screw caps and clips? Those are the big requirements for my GF. She had a Monteverde Artista Crystal that basically never worked right, so we need to replace it with something. I was thinking TWSBI Eco, since she likes my TWSBI 580 but doesn't want to spend 50 bucks on a pen.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

Anybody have recommendations for cheapish pens with screw caps and clips? Those are the big requirements for my GF. She had a Monteverde Artista Crystal that basically never worked right, so we need to replace it with something. I was thinking TWSBI Eco, since she likes my TWSBI 580 but doesn't want to spend 50 bucks on a pen.

The Pilot 78g is a plastic Metropolitan with a screw cap. You'll probably need to order one from an Chinese retailer on eBay though. I almost like it more than my Metro and Safari

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Thirst Mutilator posted:

The Pilot 78g is a plastic Metropolitan with a screw cap. You'll probably need to order one from an Chinese retailer on eBay though. I almost like it more than my Metro and Safari

Isellpens still has them in stock for $10.

His totally-not-going-out-of-business sale has gotten pretty obscene, $10 bottles of sailor ink, $7 for 80mL Diamine and 3-4$ for 30mL Diamine etc.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I just received what is quite possibly the finest Pelikan fountain pen ever made. Ever will be made, for that matter.

Check this poo poo out:

S'right, $11.99 of pure gold baby. :smugdog:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

I just received what is quite possibly the finest Pelikan fountain pen ever made. Ever will be made, for that matter.

Check this poo poo out:

S'right, $11.99 of pure gold baby. :smugdog:

Green circles and motherfucking butterflies? I think I have a new grail pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

And of course, the most absurd thing is that the thing writes really well. Like, really well. Near glassy smooth, wet, perfectly adjusted out of the package.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I ordered a Jinhao 599 Lamy knockoff to get a friend introduced to fountain pens and the drat thing writes perfectly. :negative:

Hopefully the 750 I ordered writes this well. 2 dollar chinese pens are an addiction I don't mind feeding TBH.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I ordered a Jinhao 599 Lamy knockoff to get a friend introduced to fountain pens and the drat thing writes perfectly. :negative:

Hopefully the 750 I ordered writes this well. 2 dollar chinese pens are an addiction I don't mind feeding TBH.

looks like I need another 599 mine writes like poo poo.. I wonder if it's the converter.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

tater_salad posted:

looks like I need another 599 mine writes like poo poo.. I wonder if it's the converter.

Try different inks, it worked for me. Heart of darkness writes great in my 450 but dried out too quickly in my Safari. Noodler's black works great in both the real and knockoff Lamy.

Whoever said to buy 2 Jinhao's was pretty much dead on.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

I have nothing but bad luck with anything I get from China. In fact, I'm so frustrated at buying pens that don't work, I'm probably just going to wait until I can drop $150 on something nice before I buy another pen.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

grack posted:

And of course, the most absurd thing is that the thing writes really well. Like, really well. Near glassy smooth, wet, perfectly adjusted out of the package.

Because it's a well machined tool intended for daily use instead of an accessoire that happens to write :v:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Try different inks, it worked for me. Heart of darkness writes great in my 450 but dried out too quickly in my Safari. Noodler's black works great in both the real and knockoff Lamy.

Whoever said to buy 2 Jinhao's was pretty much dead on.

3 inks aren't flowing

Yeah I shoulda ordered 2 but they were PRICEY at $5 per pen.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

It always starts with one or two cheap Chinese pens. It always ends with dozens of the loving things everywhere and two blisterbacks of Hero 616s.

My current pair of shirt-pocket pens are 616s with those XXF nibs one of the big Chinese sellers used to carry and caps that I electroplated with copper.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

This is like the steampunk pen future. Pen-punk? Is that a thing? I want a steam powered fountain pen with visible gears and a telescope on it.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Writing a letter to someone railing on the poltroonery of The Academy for dismissing your radical monograph on natural history in copperplate with a fountain pen is about as steampunk as you can get.

I ordered a 3 pack of Pilot Varsitys so that I can practice developing nice handwriting so people will stop making fun of my jerky scribbling. My boss giggled at my signature and asked if I had ever written in cursive before and it made me feel bad. Next time I have to sign documents I will be laying down some motherfucking sweeps and flourishes on that bitch.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 20, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zuph posted:

I have nothing but bad luck with anything I get from China. In fact, I'm so frustrated at buying pens that don't work, I'm probably just going to wait until I can drop $150 on something nice before I buy another pen.

Pilot FPs are great writers. The Custom series are fairly affordable starting at $70+ to $200 I think.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Writing a letter to someone railing on the poltroonery of The Academy for dismissing your radical monograph on natural history in copperplate with a fountain pen is about as steampunk as you can get.

I ordered a 3 pack of Pilot Varsitys so that I can practice developing nice handwriting so people will stop making fun of my jerky scribbling. My boss giggled at my signature and asked if I had ever written in cursive before and it made me feel bad. Next time I have to sign documents I will be laying down some motherfucking sweeps and flourishes on that bitch.

Your boss is a jerk.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

When you get pretty cursive handwriting, you can sign receipts with dumb poo poo and know with absolute certainty that somewhere along the line if anyone looks at it, they'll get a laugh at something like "Commodore Assbat" jotted on the line in the most prim and proper manner.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Alder posted:

Pilot FPs are great writers. The Custom series are fairly affordable starting at $70+ to $200 I think.

Yeah, the Pilot Custom 74 is on the short list, along with the Lamy 2000, Pelikan M200, Namiki (Pilot) Falcon, and Sailor 1911. Not that I'm anywhere close to actually buying any of them.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Wow I bought a safari And a Lamy converter! And a italics nib! And a couple of Waterman ink bottles!

Goons please tell me it was all worth it and I'll have the time of my life. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for other than high pigment content inks?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you want more or less bulletproof fountain pen ink you can't go wrong with Waterman or Diamine, they'll work in drat near every fountain pen ever made. There are some pigmented inks that are safe to use in fountain pens but very few, and don't use anything labelled "calligraphy" or "drawing". They'll often be either pigmented or have shellac, both of which are bad news for fountain pens.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I have a Lamy safari and I am honestly thinking about getting another I like it so much. Light weight and writes great, my metro is bit more stylish I think but lately I use the lamy more just due to how light it is at work.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm looking at the idea of getting fountain pen gift sets for 3 people. So far the main ones I see are this Lamy one (Al-Star) and this Parker one (Urban).

Both come with the pen, ink cartridges, a bottle of ink, and a converter. The Lamy one comes with a leather case, which is nice. The main reasons I'm hesitating are a. I think the Parker styling looks a bit nicer, especially with the gold trim, and b. some people hate the Al-Star grip. I am also not sure why the Parker gift set that comes with all this stuff is cheaper than just straight up buying an Urban.

I have an Al-Star and it's nice. I've never owned a Parker fountain pen so I have no idea what the quality is like. These gifts are important enough that I want to make sure I'm giving something decent. Opinions?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

guppy posted:

I'm looking at the idea of getting fountain pen gift sets for 3 people. So far the main ones I see are this Lamy one (Al-Star) and this Parker one (Urban).

Both come with the pen, ink cartridges, a bottle of ink, and a converter. The Lamy one comes with a leather case, which is nice. The main reasons I'm hesitating are a. I think the Parker styling looks a bit nicer, especially with the gold trim, and b. some people hate the Al-Star grip. I am also not sure why the Parker gift set that comes with all this stuff is cheaper than just straight up buying an Urban.

I have an Al-Star and it's nice. I've never owned a Parker fountain pen so I have no idea what the quality is like. These gifts are important enough that I want to make sure I'm giving something decent. Opinions?

Goulet has that Al-Star set for way cheaper (http://www.gouletpens.com/lamy-vista-holiday-gift-set/p/LMY-L12HS just an example, they have other colors on their site), and they also have the al star + filofax gift sets too http://www.gouletpens.com/lamy-alstar-filofax-gift-set-orange/p/LMY-L42GB

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Any reason they *have* to be gift sets? You can put together a package of Metro + ink + cartridges for cheaper than both sets you listed and the Metropolitan is a fantastic starter pen.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
They don't have to be gift sets, but these gifts are for an occasion, and the gift sets have box cut to fit for that "everything in its place" look. I'm not really that concerned about the cost, these are gifts for groomsmen, I'm mostly wondering if I should get something nicer rather than something cheaper.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Either would be good. Current model Parkers don't seem to come up much in this thread but they're decent quality. I have a gunmetal IM that's been a very nice pen for the price, it's a smooth writer, looks great and feels very solid.

Honestly there's going to be very little in it apart from looks and price so get whichever you prefer.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

guppy posted:

They don't have to be gift sets, but these gifts are for an occasion, and the gift sets have box cut to fit for that "everything in its place" look. I'm not really that concerned about the cost, these are gifts for groomsmen, I'm mostly wondering if I should get something nicer rather than something cheaper.

If you want something a little classier for groomsmen, I think this would be a good option - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NSCAA8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=6JAB2HQIUOW4&coliid=I4B92CWZDGE2A&psc=1

A little more expensive than the Parker and it's not in a gift set but I think it's a better looking pen. Add a converter, a bottle of Waterman Serenity blue and a pack of cartridges and it's not too far off the cost of the Lamy set either.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

If you want something a little classier for groomsmen, I think this would be a good option - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NSCAA8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=6JAB2HQIUOW4&coliid=I4B92CWZDGE2A&psc=1

A little more expensive than the Parker and it's not in a gift set but I think it's a better looking pen. Add a converter, a bottle of Waterman Serenity blue and a pack of cartridges and it's not too far off the cost of the Lamy set either.

Yes they look nice and the price is very low considering the normal retail price, but both the hemispheres I have write like poo poo and Waterman cartridges evaporated to half the contents in about a year time.

For gifting they look great and for people who hardly ever use a fountain pen you would be right. If you want to bring them over to our side, Metropolitan is the way to go.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Wow, okay, I haven't bought a Hemisphere recently but you're the third person who's said they've had issues with an Essential labelled model. A little disappointing from Waterman. Okay, feel free to ignore that suggestion.

Parker pens tend to be pretty reliable writers, the Urban linked should be fine.

unicorn dreams
Feb 6, 2015
I've had my Lamy Al-Star for a couple months and I'm enjoying it immensely. Now I'm thinking I want more pens, and looking around on edjelley.com, I saw the Platinum Preppy. I'm thinking of getting this set form Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IU3US7O/ref=s9_hps_bw_g229_i4). This question is probably silly, but would it be better to stick with disposable cartridges ($ speaking)? How insane would it be to buy a converter for the Preppys and use bottled colored ink for these guys?

(I also have a converter for my Lamy but haven't jumped in on the bottled ink game yet... I'm a bit intimidated by the bottled stuff/don't know where to start.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks everyone, I ordered the Urbans. And. uh, one for myself.

unicorn dreams posted:

I've had my Lamy Al-Star for a couple months and I'm enjoying it immensely. Now I'm thinking I want more pens, and looking around on edjelley.com, I saw the Platinum Preppy. I'm thinking of getting this set form Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IU3US7O/ref=s9_hps_bw_g229_i4). This question is probably silly, but would it be better to stick with disposable cartridges ($ speaking)? How insane would it be to buy a converter for the Preppys and use bottled colored ink for these guys?

(I also have a converter for my Lamy but haven't jumped in on the bottled ink game yet... I'm a bit intimidated by the bottled stuff/don't know where to start.)

I don't know anything about the Preppy specifically, but generally cartridges are comically more expensive ($/ml). So no, I get that it's a cheap pen, but that doesn't change the math on the ink. I also find that my pens write better with a converter and bottled ink than cartridges. The main thing about bottles is that people tend to overbuy ink, getting lots of bottles because they want the colors. I don't recommend that. It is possible that you're considering getting inks to match each pens; I personally think that would be nuts, although I suspect others from this thread have done exactly that.

Pick a shade you like from a well-regarded manufacturer and you should have no problems. I am partial to J. Herbin and others like Waterman; both are considered good, well-formulated brands.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

guppy posted:

The main thing about bottles is that people tend to overbuy ink, getting lots of bottles because they want the colors. I don't recommend that. It is possible that you're considering getting inks to match each pens; I personally think that would be nuts, although I suspect others from this thread have done exactly that.

Just get a bunch of ink samples and a blunt syringe. I still haven't bought a whole bottle of ink.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

guppy posted:

The main thing about bottles is that people tend to overbuy ink, getting lots of bottles because they want the colors. I don't recommend that. It is possible that you're considering getting inks to match each pens; I personally think that would be nuts, although I suspect others from this thread have done exactly that.

Pick a shade you like from a well-regarded manufacturer and you should have no problems. I am partial to J. Herbin and others like Waterman; both are considered good, well-formulated brands.

Do not listen to this man and buy all the inks.

GoodBee posted:

Just get a bunch of ink samples and a blunt syringe. I still haven't bought a whole bottle of ink.

Listen to this man instead. Depending on you location, some inks might be really cheap such as Diamine in Europe.
Ooooh sparkly!
95 colors?
Music!
Flowers!

The last one and the sparkly one make me super greedy. For context, I hardly write two pages a day.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

If you don't have at least one bottle of every shade or 10 bottles of a single color you are fond of then, well, you are doing this hobby wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

My Man Shran posted:

If you don't have at least one bottle of every shade or 10 bottles of a single color you are fond of then, well, you are doing this hobby wrong.

Do not forget to argue about it with strangers on the internet. Just look up how many blue-blacks there are and everyone has a different favorite. Would be much simpler if everyone would agree that Sailor blueblack is the best blueblack.