Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

shut the gently caress up about this forever

Austrian mook posted:

Ya. Platinum is one of the only devs who has the balls to actually put a significant amount of content into the last third of their games. Go look at trophy stats for most games, half of all players here dont even get past the second or third level. This doesn't seem true for japanese games though, maybe a cultural difference? Anyway, my point is that western devs front load all their good stuff and its stupid. gently caress America

bayonetta 2 is also one of the best games ever because it rewards you constantly with new cool poo poo. some items and equips change the way you play the base game; one of the costumes adds a parry function similar to Revengeance. nothing was DLC--all the cool poo poo were old-school unlocks bought with ingame monies and points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Supercar Gautier posted:

The colloquial concept of censorship (rude 'n' lewd things being made less rude 'n' lewd) is different than the legal concept of censorship (a government or other authouritative force limiting someone's speech) and the two should not be conflated. Treating these distinct concepts interchangeably is how you get anime avatar nerds who think it's against the first amendment for a game developer to voluntarily remove panty shots from their own game.

Who's conflating them?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Listen to this man

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Sam Faust posted:

Saying no would have cared if they left the boob slider in, but people would care if they took it out rings a little hollow when you look at the response to when it was first revealed. They took it out because it looked silly, not a big mystery here folks.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642673&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=19

The response to the boobs is tiny compared to the controversy that was Xenoblade X being pretty anime and that Xenoblade was actually very anime as well.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

The colloquial concept of censorship (rude 'n' lewd things being made less rude 'n' lewd) is different than the legal concept of censorship (a government or other authouritative force limiting someone's speech) and the two should not be conflated. Treating these distinct concepts interchangeably is how you get anime avatar nerds who think it's against the first amendment for a game developer to voluntarily remove panty shots from their own game.

You're fighting a losing battle there since we're in a world where people believe that their speech having any consequences whatsoever is oppression of their rights, but more importantly:

MinibarMatchman posted:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked Bayonetta 2 but I feel like it was a bit more disjointed than the first. The subplot with Jeanne feels kind of unnecessary and the whole "go fight demons in hell" was a short aside that has nothing to do with the actual main plot. I think they could have easily fixed this by having one of the main villains just be a hell demon lady or guy whom you see in the background in a few scenes, and have the trip to hell being what is needed to defeat him and weaken the bad guys forces or something.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So I'm playing through bayonetta right now, should I play W101 before Bayo 2?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

greatn posted:

Well his avatar is an eagle so he's a true patriot.

Ahem. That is clearly a peregrine falcon. Trust me. I know birds.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah, go play W101 first so you have a breather from Bayonetta. The games play similarly enough, but 2 does some things differently that'll probably throw you off if you move straight from 1 to 2. I know I was thrown off when I went directly from 1 to 2.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Louisgod posted:

This is a good point, doesn't make sense to not include sliders so your character can be a fat tub of lard with a neckbeard that can't walk more than 50 feet due to their IBS and can't explore New Los Angeles due to the overwhelming feeling of anxiety of being in public. Basically ,me

My sister made her husband at the beginning of Fallout 4 a giant fatass black man with inexplicably pure white hair.
It was hilarious and every game should have that option

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Depends on what you want: more Bayonetta, or a different take on Platinum action.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The response to the boobs is tiny compared to the controversy that was Xenoblade X being pretty anime and that Xenoblade was actually very anime as well.

I'll be honest, I do wish there were an eyeball slider you could move between Human Being and Eyes Take Up 60 Percent of Face

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Silver Falcon posted:

Ahem. That is clearly a peregrine falcon. Trust me. I know birds.

In England "bird" is a somewhat deprecating term for women that objectifies them, so check your priveleges.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

greatn posted:

I'll be honest, I do wish there were an eyeball slider you could move between Human Being and Eyes Take Up 60 Percent of Face

Just have an anime slider. On a scale from Cowboy Bebop to Azumanga Daioh

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Bird slider

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

greatn posted:

Beholder-chan is my waifu.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Junpei Hyde posted:

Doesn't matter, do whatever you'd like.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A tit slider, or a booby slider, if you will

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 23, 2015

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Do W101 first. Play Platinum games in release order.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

IMO they aren't comparable but if you want an easier time of things keep going with Bayo2 simply because it capitalizes on Bayo1. W101 is great but it doesn't do a good job explaining certain things, i.e. how some upgrades are borderline mandatory to survive in encounters. If you start W101 then put it one difficulty notch down--just so you can get used to the combat without frustration.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Junpei Hyde posted:

There are some mechanical differences, but the plots do follow each other directly. W101 controls very differently, but has similar pacing and structure to Bayo 1. I'd honestly say play Bayo 1 and 2 in a row to maximize the experience, then take a break from Platinum games for a couple weeks, then pick up W101 fresh.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

:pedophiles:

EDIT: And I'm done.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 23, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MinibarMatchman posted:

one of the costumes adds a parry function similar to Revengeance.

Which costume is this? I suck at all Platinum games except Revengeance for some reason so this should help me. Does W101 have something like that too?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

Which costume is this? I suck at all Platinum games except Revengeance for some reason so this should help me. Does W101 have something like that too?

I think it was link's, but I also think there is an accessory that grants it too. W101 also has one.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sam Faust posted:

I think it was link's, but I also think there is an accessory that grants it too.

The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa, the timing for the parry is much more strict than Revegeance though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Andrast posted:

The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa, the timing for the parry is much more strict than Revegeance though.

It also almost completely breaks the game, so if you want to still be challenged don't pick this up.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

To clarify, a parry in Bayonetta has about the same timing as a parry-counter in Revengeance, if I remember right. Also the Link costume is objectively the best one for flat out giving you a fourth accessory ability (you can't change it, but it's the goddamn parry) and I believe using the swords with the Link costume allows you to hit flaming enemies without taking damage because you're really using the Master Sword.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

It also almost completely breaks the game, so if you want to still be challenged don't pick this up.

You do know Bayonetta 2 has multiple difficulty settings, right?

The moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is not going to trivialize infinite climax or anything.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Andrast posted:

You do know Bayonetta 2 has multiple difficulty settings, right?

The moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is not going to trivialize infinite climax or anything.

I did know that, but if youre playing the game on medium you probably are just playing it the whole way through. Im just letting someone know that the game isnt designed around having access to a parry. Use it if you want, but it trivializes most enemies, especially if you already are good at it from playing Revengence.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4cJh2YgrKE

A biography of Iwata in video form and a really well done one at that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rexroom posted:

:pedophiles:

EDIT: And I'm done.

It's really stupid to remove something as minor as a boob slider in an T rated game. Like a pointless change that did not require man hours to fix.

Then again this is a system which was designed with a barely used tablet controller for 90% of it's games that is more expensive than the E-Sports Xbox One Controller. So good and sensible decisions have never been at the forefront.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 23, 2015

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Probably getting a Wii U for christmas and I was wondering if you still access the Wii Virtual Console library through the wii u?

I realize this may have been answered and that this will probably get lost in the shuffle but I figured I'd ask since I've been told conflicting things.

Also, how much longer will they be making games for the WII U before the Phase it out in favor of the new thing. Beyond handheld consoles, I've been out of the video game loop since I was a kid so forgive my ignorance here.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SylvainMustach posted:

Probably getting a Wii U for christmas and I was wondering if you still access the Wii Virtual Console library through the wii u?

I realize this may have been answered and that this will probably get lost in the shuffle but I figured I'd ask since I've been told conflicting things.

Also, how much longer will they be making games for the WII U before the Phase it out in favor of the new thing. Beyond handheld consoles, I've been out of the video game loop since I was a kid so forgive my ignorance here.

The NX is probably coming somewhere around 2016-2017 and knowing Nintendo support for the wii-u is going to stop 6 months before the NX launches.

If you're looking for a console with longevity that persists past it's successor get a Playstation.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Taint Reaper posted:

Then again this is a system which was designed with a barely used tablet controller for 90% of it's games that is more expensive than the E-Sports Xbox One Controller. So good and sensible decisions have never been at the forefront.

I hear they just locked the boob slider behind an amiibo

Sorry about your luck

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Trent posted:

I hear they just locked the boob slider behind an amiibo

Sorry about your luck

Actually it's more than likely hidden in a menu command that can be reactivated with a hex editor or action replay device. Character Customization screens always have a slew of manipulating values so while it's not visually present it's still in the game's code and just needs to be turned on. Unless they did a really stupid thing and removed the modifier points and gave the US player character a whole different rig.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SylvainMustach posted:

If you use the Wii transfer utility, you can transfer the VC games you bought on the Wii to play on your Wii U. They will be in "Wii Mode" and not be able to use the gamepad, but you can play them just fine. Some of them you can buy again (at a reduced price) to play on the Wii U proper and get a couple of new features, like save states and gamepad functionality. However not all of the Wii's Virtual Console library has been updated for this.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

A tit slider, or a booby slider, if you will

heh heh gonna turn the "Tit" slider alllll the way up

ah man what the hell

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Saoshyant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4cJh2YgrKE

A biography of Iwata in video form and a really well done one at that.

Man, Itoi's farewell is really touching. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hyrule Warriors question: I notice the 3DS is getting *new characters*.

Is the WiiU version going to get the new characters as well?

• Locked thread