Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Anidav posted:

Mystery Inc has a better overarching plot fyi. The general impression of "save princess Mabel" feels like a cheap ending.

I couldn't get over how infuriatingly rich those kids are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Anidav posted:

Mystery Inc has a better overarching plot fyi. The general impression of "save princess Mabel" feels like a cheap ending.

That's not the ending that's just Part 2 of a 3 (really 4) part episode. The ending is probably going to be Dipper and Mabel something something the power of twins' bond saves universe

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Everyone gets stuck in the MabelFable, Pacifica ends up bribing all of Bill's buds to get them out.

Splatoon is wrong, love will never will against money.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I would have to agree with those who believe that the overarching plot wasn't really well-handled. My main grips with it being :
- I think it relied too much on "mystery", notably the fact that Stan was chugging along on the main plot while the viewers and the characters trying to figure out the mystery of the author were left mostly in the dark.
- About everything linked to the main plot turned out to be red herrings : the laptop didn't serve any function, Stan's involvement in the greater mystery turned out to be rather minor and some of the things introduced to make us wonder don't seem to fit. Like the bunker, how does it make sense that the Author was implied to be preparing for the Apocalypse, knowing what we now know?

In fact, I would say that there were way too many red herrings. The tapestry with people worshipping Bill? Irrelevant. Gideon making a deal with Bill? Not much came out of it. The laptop? Didn't teach the characters or the viewers anything interesting. Bill's wheel? It could still serve a purpose, but I'm not really optimistic.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

X_Toad posted:

Like the bunker, how does it make sense that the Author was implied to be preparing for the Apocalypse, knowing what we now know?

This actually makes zero sense, what are you talking about? The apocalypse that Ford knew was coming came, why would that rear end in a top hat prepare for it???

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Because his preparations once he came back was to dismantle the portals, try to seal the rift and try killing Bill once he came through, and he's very doubtful that one can survive once Bill arrives. The guy who built the bunker was expecting the Apocalypse to be inevitable and survivable.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

X_Toad posted:

Because his preparations once he came back was to dismantle the portals, try to seal the rift and try killing Bill once he came through, and he's very doubtful that one can survive once Bill arrives. The guy who built the bunker was expecting the Apocalypse to be inevitable and survivable.

Dude did survive in what presumably was Bill's dimension (since the portal was supposed to be the link between the two realities) for several decades and even Sues has become a paragon of the wasteland so it's not out of the question that he could manage a way to survive Bill's apocalypse (if he hadn't confronted Bill as he did last episode)

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

DalaranJ posted:

Animation is so difficult and takes a long time. Who wants to see a puppet show?

Well a storyboard artist's brother and probable themselves made the Potter Puppet Pals. But don't get your hopes up, because they'll be too busy with the unlicensed Gravity Falls animated spin off they're working on.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

X_Toad posted:

Bill is the first world ending threat they have faced but every other episode has dipper and mabel fighting something that could wreck up the town if they didn't stop it. Building a bunker isn't a bad idea if you know zombies are real and that it's only a matter of time before someone raises the dead. Or whatever is on all the other pages we haven't even seen yet.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

X_Toad posted:

I would have to agree with those who believe that the overarching plot wasn't really well-handled.

I think you're just agreeing with yourself here.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

X_Toad posted:

I'm sure that Lee, having been party to Bill's many lies and tricks and atrocities, built the bunker out of fear and desperation even as he sought to stop the apocalypse from happening. You can have more than one plan you know. Lee can build the bunker as a last resort even as he tries more actively to stop Bill, always keeping in the back of his mind that Bill is an immortal demon with tremendous powers and no matter what Lee does, it's entirely possible that he can't stop the apocalypse.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Bill's apocalypse is totally not survivable, which is why none of the protagonists have survived, and neither did Gideon's gang of convicts or the Gravity Falls press.

Your bog-standard "infrastructure has been destroyed and horrible monsters are rampaging across the land" apocalypse is exactly the kind of apocalypse that you survive by hunkering in a camouflaged bunker and hoping you won't get noticed.

Compare to, I dunno, "everything is intensively radioactive and temperatures dropped by 30 degrees", "the atmosphere is sucked out", "Earth is flooded under a ten-kilometer-thick layer of lava", or "the planet explodes in a gajillion pieces no smaller than a marble"... Bill is pretty mild so far all things considered.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I would have liked one more season to focus on the characters that kinda got short changed but I'd rather they end it on their own terms then let it drag out until it's terrible like lots of other shows.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

The show has been pretty consistent at being character driven from episode to episode with the metaplot existing just to have some background intrigue. I'm not getting the complaints about it taking over and subsequently being ill-handled. The number of red herrings and swerves strike me as deliberate.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't think it's been ill handled, I just think there's still steam left for episodes involving Pacifica, Robbie, Wendy (but not related to Dipper's stupid crush), Gorney, etc. Saying "short changed" was probably too strongly worded.

I want a spin off show featuring Grenda and Candy.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Radish posted:

I would have liked one more season to focus on the characters that kinda got short changed but I'd rather they end it on their own terms then let it drag out until it's terrible like lots of other shows.

Adventure time has done that and all you hear is people whining nonstop that every side character didn't really need a backstory. (although personally I love it)

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Adventure time has done that and all you hear is people whining nonstop that every side character didn't really need a backstory. (although personally I love it)

I may be incorrect about this, it's been ages since I watched AT, but I could make the argument that the Gravity Falls characters at their creation had fleshed out back stories and the Adventure Time characters back stories were conceived of well after they showed up on the show.
I think that's what's bumming people out here. We know there's more thought out backstory that exists for those characters, we just want to see it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

El Tortuga posted:

I think you're talking about me, and if so, you're giving yourself way too much credit.

True, I was actually just disgusted instead of baffled.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Bill's apocalypse is totally not survivable, which is why none of the protagonists have survived, and neither did Gideon's gang of convicts or the Gravity Falls press.

Your bog-standard "infrastructure has been destroyed and horrible monsters are rampaging across the land" apocalypse is exactly the kind of apocalypse that you survive by hunkering in a camouflaged bunker and hoping you won't get noticed.

Compare to, I dunno, "everything is intensively radioactive and temperatures dropped by 30 degrees", "the atmosphere is sucked out", "Earth is flooded under a ten-kilometer-thick layer of lava", or "the planet explodes in a gajillion pieces no smaller than a marble"... Bill is pretty mild so far all things considered.

Both Stanford's blackboards and the Time Baby's speech make it clear that Bill's presence is enough to ultimately destroy our universe. Hiding in a bunker is pointless. I guess Stanford may have built that for some lesser apocalypse like zombies rising, but we'll never know now, wil we?

At this point I think I'd be happy if Disney made another season without Hirsch, just to fill in some of the plotholes.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I may be incorrect about this, it's been ages since I watched AT, but I could make the argument that the Gravity Falls characters at their creation had fleshed out back stories and the Adventure Time characters back stories were conceived of well after they showed up on the show.
Do you remember Pacifica's character in season 1? That wasn't meant to throw the viewers off, she was really conceived as that mean, prideful, spoiled little girl, completely true to herself and thus Mabel's complete opposite. She was so one-dimensional that the writers couldn't even find a use of her as an antagonist past her introduction. Only some unexpected popularity in the fanbase led to her current character development.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 23, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

don Jaime posted:

Both Stanford's blackboards and the Time Baby's speech make it clear that Bill's presence is enough to ultimately destroy our universe. Hiding in a bunker is pointless. I guess Stanford may have built that for some lesser apocalypse like zombies rising, but we'll never know now, wil we?

At this point I think I'd be happy if Disney made another season without Hirsch, just to fill in some of the plotholes.

Time Baby should know everything worked out if he still existed in the future.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

don Jaime posted:

Congratulations, you've expressed the worst opinion. A creator owned show where the creator voices two of the main characters? Let's do it without him to "fill in plotholes".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

don Jaime posted:

Both Stanford's blackboards and the Time Baby's speech make it clear that Bill's presence is enough to ultimately destroy our universe. Hiding in a bunker is pointless.

Depends. How long is "ultimately"? I mean, we're already aware that the world we're on will ultimately be scorched and then swallowed by the dying Sun, and that knowledge isn't enough to cause us all to commit suicide right now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
After a lot of soul-searching I realised I don't really care how soon and how in general a Disney cartoon ends.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

X_Toad posted:

In fact, I would say that there were way too many red herrings. The tapestry with people worshipping Bill? Irrelevant. Gideon making a deal with Bill? Not much came out of it. The laptop? Didn't teach the characters or the viewers anything interesting.

The laptop was how the audience was introduced to McGucket's prior life and his involvement with the Author. There was even a whole episode where the kids had to track McGucket down and try to get access to his memories, remember?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't remember that well, but wasn't the bunker like a separate lab?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a difference between "things that will not be explained" and a "plot hole", which implies something that cannot be explained given what's known. Maybe Pacifica's forebears worshiped Bill or maybe they just bought the tapestry secondhand, there are possibilities, we just won't find out.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

don Jaime posted:

It honestly doesn't seem weird that a guy who is so paranoid he writes journals in invisible ink and installed anti-mind reading plates into his own brain is paranoid enough to want to own a bunker. Once someone gets paranoid enough they pretty much always own a survival bunker somewhere for one reason or another. It doesn't have to be bill related and the show doesn't really need to go into details on what exactly if anything he was specifically planning to use it for. Maybe it's where he planned to stick his family while he went out to go punch bill or whatever.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Cloks posted:

Congratulations, you've expressed the worst opinion. A creator owned show where the creator voices two of the main characters? Let's do it without him to "fill in plotholes".

Hey, it worked for the Boondocks...

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It honestly doesn't seem weird that a guy who is so paranoid he writes journals in invisible ink and installed anti-mind reading plates into his own brain is paranoid enough to want to own a bunker. Once someone gets paranoid enough they pretty much always own a survival bunker somewhere for one reason or another. It doesn't have to be bill related and the show doesn't really need to go into details on what exactly if anything he was specifically planning to use it for. Maybe it's where he planned to stick his family while he went out to go punch bill or whatever.

He already has a bunker under the house. Why would he need a second one? It would make more sense if one was Stanford's and the other is the author's, but they're the same person.

Cat Mattress posted:

Depends. How long is "ultimately"? I mean, we're already aware that the world we're on will ultimately be scorched and then swallowed by the dying Sun, and that knowledge isn't enough to cause us all to commit suicide right now.

I'm left with the impression the universe would be destroyed across time, as in the world of dinosaurs would explode just as much as the world of today, and even Time Baby couldn't get away. I'm also assuming none of the Weirdmaggedon events will not have happened once Bill is sealed away, but I could be wrong.

Cloks posted:

It tasted bad when I thought it. But I would like some more good episodes before it goes, and that's not 100% dependent on Hirsch. And there are a hell of a lot of plotholes left.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

don Jaime posted:

He already has a bunker under the house. Why would he need a second one? It would make more sense if one was Stanford's and the other is the author's, but they're the same person.

You mean the bunker in the basement that houses an extra dimensional portal? Yeah that sounds like a real safe place to hide out in an apocalypse, what could possibly go wrong there.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

don Jaime posted:

Do you really think no one anywhere owns two bunkers? Batman has a whole bunker cave under his house and he still has like 8 billion bunkers and safehouses and extra cars and suits seemingly in every single building in gotham. It's not really a plot hole that you dislike the number of bunkers a guy owns and think he could have made due with just one bunker.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Rudoku posted:

Hey, it worked for the Boondocks...

And Community too! :v:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Mabelland is pretty awesome.

Waddles bus!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I appreciate that Dipper immediately knows something's wrong with this reality bubble. It's refreshing.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I hate Dippy-Fresh SO MUCH :argh:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'll admit, I teared up a little at Dipper's speech.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
The resistance existing was cliche but you need a big fight. One more monster sized episode to go :ohdear:. And we still can't see Stan's title card eyes :ohdear: :hf: :ohdear:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I could watch the various '80s and '90s gags in Mabelworld ALL DAY. Dippy-Fresh is literally this guy from the BK Kids Club.

Relevant plot stuff:

- Who created the barrier? Grunkle Stan? McGucket? Blendin? Is the true purpose of Gravity Falls to contain Bill?
- Pacifica and McGucket are among the survivors in the Shack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like how the hunky bros now exist in the "real world" (at least according to some philosophical definitions of reality.)

• Locked thread