Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i agree, the #1 way for black people to get out from under white oppression is to protest in ways that white people find comfortable and acceptable

Historically? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

Historically? Yes.

I think you'd find that the civil rights movement made white moderates very very uncomfortable.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

The Kingfish posted:

Historically? Yes.

He's made it quite clear that he's not interested in actually succeeding or accomplishing anything so I'd say this moderately valid point is going to fall on deaf ears.

Or rather, be mocked without in any way being substantively responded to.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Radish posted:

because they think that is not inclusive or swayed by "All Lives Matter"

You can think it is not inclusive without thinking everything is equal and just in this world.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

stinkles1112 posted:

To be clear I don't think the slogan is, by far, the primary reason that the movement isn't resonating with moderates, but I think it is a facet, and that it's important to be aware of what works and what doesn't if you want to mount an effective protest.

I dont think its the slogan personally. I think its some of the dumber stunts some people have tried to do in their name. like that library video and the sanders/Hilary stuff. that and the #fuckyouparis poo poo. sure its not big stuff and BLM has come out against all of this poo poo publicaly but it still sadly hurts their position.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

white americans feel like they are overwhelmingly discriminated against so it doesn't seem like converting the statement "black lives matter" into "black lives are the only ones that matter" is in any way a fault with the statement, it is a fault with the internal biases of the individuals who do not want to accept the statement, and the solution is not to coddle and comfort these frankly moronic people

White Americans are also overwhelmingly stupid and easily led by anyone with an ounce of subtlety. I've taken the piss out of my whole immediate family and most of the extended about Black Lives Matter with simple explainations that "No, it's not exclusionary." It's not hard, unless you're so prideful that you refuse to do anything but yell "Racist!" at clouds and expect anyone to give a gently caress.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Trabisnikof posted:

I think you'd find that the civil rights movement made white moderates very very uncomfortable.

I think you will find that leaders in the CRM calculated their protests to win the sympathies of white moderates.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
#BlackLivesMatter reeks of hashtag activism, and sounds like a gimmick. It's like #OccupyWallstreet, but for black people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

stinkles1112 posted:

He's made it quite clear that he's not interested in actually succeeding or accomplishing anything so I'd say this moderately valid point is going to fall on deaf ears.

Or rather, be mocked without in any way being substantively responded to.

ok step one for ending police oppression: badger millenials on twitter to use the corrent slogans

well, i'm doing my part. what about you? what have you done for The Cause recently?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Kingfish posted:

Historically? Yes.

Did you learn this in the type of history book that has illustrations of Jesus riding dinosaurs.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nobody better say anything bad about this twitter hashtag or Im gonna freak out!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Humans Among Us posted:

You can think it is not inclusive without thinking everything is equal and just in this world.

It's about a problem that is affecting a specific segment of the population which is why it sounds exclusive. I don't need to go to breast cancer fundraisers and complain that people die from prostate cancer and why can't their messaging reflect all types of cancer.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

ok step one for ending police oppression: badger millenials on twitter to use the corrent slogans

well, i'm doing my part. what about you? what have you done for The Cause recently?

OK so we've moved from "I think their choice of slogan could probably be better" to "badger millenials on twitter into talking how I like"

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

MLK is much easier to venerate when he's dead and you can cherry pick out the uncomfortable things he said about white liberals.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

It's about a problem that is affecting a specific segment of the population which is why it sounds exclusive. I don't need to go to breast cancer fundraisers and complain that people die from prostate cancer and why can't their messaging reflect all types of cancer.

*sharpies #AllOrgansMatter on a Race for the Cure sign*

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Did you learn this in the type of history book that has illustrations of Jesus riding dinosaurs.

From the type of history book that analyzes the motivations of civil rights leaders and the causes of civil rights reform.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

I think you will find that leaders in the CRM calculated their protests to win the sympathies of white moderates.

They also said and did things that white moderates thought was at best "bad messaging" and at worse "getting uppity".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

I've agreed with you up until this point.

Sorry, but as a boob man I have to say #AllOrgansMatter is actually very offensive to me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

From a few pages ago but people were mentioning that 'Black Lives Matter' implies to some people that only black lives matter, I wondered if 'Black Lives Also Matter' would work until I realised it just spells out BLAM which is a little unfortunate for a group protesting police shootings.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Do you feel that there's ANY capacity in which the current civil rights protests might be improved? Do you think that they have any shortcomings at all? Are you interested in discussing why or why not?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Kingfish posted:

From the type of history book that analyzes the motivations of civil rights leaders and the causes of civil rights reform.

I love the part where they double down on their made-up bullshit and just hope they can ride out the lie. This is so ludicrous it's not even worth arguing with. A minute from now you're going to be ranting about styrofoam rocks in the moon landing photos.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

They also said and did things that white moderates thought was at best "bad messaging" and at worse "getting uppity".

"ugh, don't they realize how bad it looks to get blasted with fire hoses? terrible optics. why don't they just move to the side?"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously if "Black Lives Matter" is enough to get someone to sour on the whole justice for black victims of police brutality thing he or she isn't a "moderate." They aren't saying "kill whitey" as their rallying cry and saying that their phrasing is too aggressive or not inclusive is just looking for a reason to dismiss them.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I love the part where they double down on their made-up bullshit and just hope they can ride out the lie. This is so ludicrous it's not even worth arguing with. A minute from now you're going to be ranting about styrofoam rocks in the moon landing photos.
You don't know what you are talking about :(

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

stinkles1112 posted:

Do you feel that there's ANY capacity in which the current civil rights protests might be improved? Do you think that they have any shortcomings at all? Are you interested in discussing why or why not?

whether i do or not is a distinct coversation from me breaking your balls over your avowed belief that part of the reason white america rejects black opinions is because a group of disconnected protesters rallied behind the incorrect hashtag

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm baffled as to why people keep engaging with Popular Thug Drink.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Step one for ending police oppression: Don't have millenials involved in the process, stick with geriatrics.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Kingfish posted:

You don't know what you are talking about :(

I'm the black daughter and granddaughter of bonafide civil rights activists who marched with Dr. King but sure, tell me all about how white people were just peachy-keen with their protests and never tried to murder my grandma with rocks.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Step one for ending police oppression: Don't have millenials involved in the process, stick with geriatrics.

I'm not sure if only having elderly cops would stop them from shooting black people. It would probably reduce the beatings.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

#AllHolidaysMatter

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Ohio Valley style pizza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bqyyOX8NAo

Freeze the frame at 9 seconds, you get a good look at it. You cook the sauce super loving hot and put the cheese on after it comes out of the oven. It's ridiculously crunchy.

Here, the process in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inz8FN0ci9I

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
If you don't know enough to understand that hashtag black lives matter is not inherently saying that hashtag black lives matter more than hashtag white lives then you probably would not exactly be swayed to their cause by a name change.

On the other hand the very name reeks of disorganized twitter slacktivism and I really wish the movement had chosen a better name somehow.

#NotSureHowIFeelAboutTheseBadOptics

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

We'll just get all black people to save enough little old ladies so they start baking them pies and apologizing for the whole "up yours friend of the family" thing earlier.

Of course, the black people and little old ladies will have the good sense not to mention that to anyone so we're back at square one. :(

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

whether i do or not is a distinct coversation from me breaking your balls over your avowed belief that part of the reason white america rejects black opinions is because a group of disconnected protesters rallied behind the incorrect hashtag

Ok so now I see where the disconnect is. I'm not intending to overstate the importance of a dumb hashtag. It's a facet of the problem but not the most important, or even necessarily a major one, but it's the one that came up in the thread so that's what I talked about.

Although, if you want to win over millenials you pretty much have to be a pro-tier hashtagger, so maybe it IS more important than I thought....

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

Ohio Valley style pizza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bqyyOX8NAo

Freeze the frame at 9 seconds, you get a good look at it. You cook the sauce super loving hot and put the cheese on after it comes out of the oven. It's ridiculously crunchy.

Here, the process in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inz8FN0ci9I

This sounds iffy but I am willing to try it and be wrong in my love for all pizzas except for godless sauceless pizza.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

If you don't know enough to understand that hashtag black lives matter is not inherently saying that hashtag black lives matter more than hashtag white lives then you probably would not exactly be swayed to their cause by a name change.

The only problem is that the "white moderate" looks at the name and thinks "well, yeah, duh?" and nothing else.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Radish posted:

Fair enough but i hope you realize this is a much better response than dismissing everyone instantly for being racists that want to discredit the BLM movement. Thanks ( sincere, i think this is the best argument so far, i'd also like to see a rebuttal maybe )

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 23, 2015

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Radish posted:

This sounds iffy but I am willing to try it and be wrong in my love for all pizzas except for godless sauceless pizza.

My mom is a diabetic and has to order sauceless pizza and it just fills me with existential despair every time :smith:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm the black daughter and granddaughter of bonafide civil rights activists who marched with Dr. King but sure, tell me all about how white people were just peachy-keen with their protests and never tried to murder my grandma with rocks.

The highly effective civil rights era protests were designed to alienate white middle class moderates from the caustically racist working class and southern whites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hand wringing over nomenclature is busy work for people who can't be on the front line

BLM should start showing up to protests armed as is their constitutional right.

stinkles1112 posted:

My mom is a diabetic and has to order sauceless pizza and it just fills me with existential despair every time :smith:

Bad news because the bread is what is bad for diabetics

• Locked thread