Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Surlaw posted:

I love that a cover version of Big Boss wakes up to a cover version of Bowie's song.

fucken BOOM

It's such a great opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kaz sells the world burgers.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Party Boat posted:

fucken BOOM

It's such a great opening.

It really is. As soon as I got to the bleary-eyed POV of V coming to while that song played, I knew I was in for a great game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Speaking of the great opening, is there a way to see it again without starting a new file?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SeANMcBAY posted:

Speaking of the great opening, is there a way to see it again without starting a new file?

Play mission 46

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Saw this in a recent YouTube ad for something or other...

C-3PO is Big Boss???

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mission 46 actually does change things even though people were saying it's the exact same. The opening cutscenes specifically give away most of the twist now where before they were really confusing.

This game is amazing i really don't get the backlash

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Mission 46 actually does change things even though people were saying it's the exact same. The opening cutscenes specifically give away most of the twist now where before they were really confusing.

Mission 46 changes the opening and the ending but everything in-between is the same up to and including the tutorial prompts.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Dewgy posted:

C-3PO is Big Boss???

Nanomachines

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Dewgy posted:

C-3PO is Big Boss???

Boss, that's an enemy death star. A single burst from its laser can tear a planet in half

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

quote:

@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN: Good speculation of MGSV TPP by 2 Japanese best-seller Novelists.

http://webnewtype.com/special/metalgear/en_01/

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's fun but after playing a game like Witcher 3 and seeing what a well crafted open world really looks and feels like it's hard not to be disappointed in TPP.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

notZaar posted:

It's fun but after playing a game like Witcher 3 and seeing what a well crafted open world really looks and feels like it's hard not to be disappointed in TPP.

On the other hand, TPP is fun to actually play. Six of one, half dozen of the other I guess

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

notZaar posted:

I like both games but I can't really see how it's any way fair to compare them two.
MGSV isn't really an open-world game in the same sense as Witcher 3. Is anything TPP is more like a linear game with two very big open maps.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

Nanomachines

...midichlorians?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Witcher 3 has a big and populated open world but it's also a very very very simple one. You have almost no mobility (Geralt can't even take a fuckin' three inch fall without losing 90% of his health) and no real options. It's a fun world to explore for the plot and characters but the actual things you can do in the world are seriously limited to "walk to a place" and "get into sword-fighting range of a dude."

Would I like TPP more if it had a Witcher 3 size and style of world? Oh hell yes. I just also don't think it's remotely feasible for any company to do that. Even GTAV is a case of a wide but shallow world with minimal options.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Witcher 3 has a big and populated open world but it's also a very very very simple one. You have almost no mobility (Geralt can't even take a fuckin' three inch fall without losing 90% of his health) and no real options. It's a fun world to explore for the plot and characters but the actual things you can do in the world are seriously limited to "walk to a place" and "get into sword-fighting range of a dude."

Would I like TPP more if it had a Witcher 3 size and style of world? Oh hell yes. I just also don't think it's remotely feasible for any company to do that. Even GTAV is a case of a wide but shallow world with minimal options.

Yeah, whilst MGSV doesn't have the same sprawling locations of some other open world games, it's significant contribution to the genre and its biggest overall success is definitely intergrating the tight, dense level design and deep, reactive gameplay of a traditionally short and linear style of game into a functioning open world map. Just taking apart a base in free-exploration mode for the hell of it is fun in a way unscripted encounters in Witcher 3 could never be

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also it has needed to be said since Ground Zeroes and has been but I'll say it again: The enemy AI in MGS5 puts pretty much everything else to shame. It's intentionally shackled by low Readiness in TPP but if you unleash it by maxing everything or going into a lv50 FOB you will see how much smarter it is than basically every enemy in every game. If you trip an alarm on a high-level FOB and kill the first 3-4 guys in LOS to you the others will take cover and guard their positions and wait for the guy on the mortar to flush you out. They'll throw grenades if you try to hide and they saw where you went. They'll call for reinforcements and will actually get reinforcements in a large group. They search pretty intelligently (and at high Readiness search in pairs).

Sure they're dumb as bricks when you're just throwing magazines around but that level of escalating competence as punishment for loving up is part of what makes it so great.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah, whilst MGSV doesn't have the same sprawling locations of some other open world games, it's significant contribution to the genre and its biggest overall success is definitely intergrating the tight, dense level design and deep, reactive gameplay of a traditionally short and linear style of game into a functioning open world map. Just taking apart a base in free-exploration mode for the hell of it is fun in a way unscripted encounters in Witcher 3 could never be

Stilwater in SR2 is kinda the high water mark for open world with a fairly deep amount of things to do.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bushiz posted:

...midichlorians?!

Force-tagged soldiers carry force-tagged weapons,
use force-tagged gear.

Midichlorians inside their bodies
enhance and regulate their force-powers.

Fear control.. Hate control..
Suffering control.. Battlefront control.

Everything is cloned, and kept under sith control.

Star War has changed.

(ihatetheprequelsfuckem).

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

if we're still going on the theory that Nojima is just the pen name for Kojima then:

quote:

Nojima: Yeah, I also think that the exclusion of "Kingdom of the Flies" doesn't actually influence the main story. If "Kingdom of the Flies" had been in there, it would have been a pretty long segment by itself, and if you look at V's story as a whole, adding in "Kingdom of the Flies" as well would disrupt its balance. Unless it was spun off as a separate story entirely, it would ruin the structure of V's narrative. My personal guess is that really, they wanted to release it later as DLC, or something like that.
If you play through V to the end, and then go back and play it again from the beginning, you find that there are no lies in the story or the setting, all the way to the finish. But, there's huge room for interpretation. I think that's what it means to "give the game back to the players." Where in the past we on this side of the screen just listened to the messages told to us by Snake and Big Boss, now each one of us is free to express our own message. Us becoming Big Boss completes the saga. Perhaps that was the ultimate aim of Metal Gear.

Mission 51 dlc incoming (plus all the other references to cut stuff that were in the game from date one like the recently released quiet [reunion], yes reunion data was there all along!) and also the game as is, :perfect: just like we already knew and your own interpretation is what happens.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 20, 2015

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Dewgy posted:

C-3PO is Big Boss???

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Ocelot/Miller:"Snake, to understand Greedo,you need to extract someone with the 'Interpreter:Rodian' skill-"
Snake:*Just Fultons a Protocol Droid*
O/M::sigh:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

These people are literally the same person.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's just something adorable about Kojima walking around with a shirt that says gently caress YOU on it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It's missing a lens flare from both of their glasses

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Did someone punch out Kojimas front teeth?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Gortarius posted:

Did someone punch out Kojimas front teeth?

"We all lost something that day, nine years ago."

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Playing the game, I've always felt like Ocelot was playing hooky with the Soviets by being on Mother Base. He went from being one of the most feared interrogators and working with the KGB to taking a vacation in the Indian Ocean. Felt like the Soviets wouldn't have let someone off like that so easily without suspicion, but then again, Ocelot's main ability through the whole series is HYPNOTHERAPY so I guess that could explain away anything.

"Yo guys I know I'm a dangerous man but I'm ditching you."

"No you're not!"

"Yes I ammmmmmmmm" :ocelot: *Starts making hand motions and weeeoooooohh noises* :ocelot:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Willsun posted:

Playing the game, I've always felt like Ocelot was playing hooky with the Soviets by being on Mother Base. He went from being one of the most feared interrogators and working with the KGB to taking a vacation in the Indian Ocean. Felt like the Soviets wouldn't have let someone off like that so easily without suspicion, but then again, Ocelot's main ability through the whole series is HYPNOTHERAPY so I guess that could explain away anything.

"Yo guys I know I'm a dangerous man but I'm ditching you."

"No you're not!"

"Yes I ammmmmmmmm" :ocelot: *Starts making hand motions and weeeoooooohh noises* :ocelot:

Doesn't he say he is on loan from the GRU and that's why he can't act in the field?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah even though Ocelot's loyal to you, he's still an agent of The Patriots and he's also still a part of the GRU. I'm not sure there's a moment in Ocelot's life where he isn't playing every side of the game.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I just recently finished what I'm pretty sure was the last mission. Just trying to figure out what the hell happened.

One of the big questions I have right now is how ocelot mentions after the credits that at some point they have to continue the bosses legacy through BB's clones. And that Ocelot would choose one (Liquid) and Miller would choose the other (Solid). I couldn't think of any reason or motivation these characters would have to do this, it just seemed very arbitrary so it could connect the series together.

Of course I could be missing the bigger picture here so if anyone knows could you explain that point to me?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
That's not quite what they were getting at.

Ocelot explains the secret plan to build a new nation under Big Boss to Miller, basically revealing the whole Venom double thing that Kaz was unaware of. Kaz feels understandably betrayed by this and declares that "Big Boss can go to hell," and vows he'll make the phantom (Venom) and his sons (Solid/Liquid) stronger in order to one day defeat Big Boss. But he'll pretend to be on Big Boss's side until then, so he goes and hangs out with Big Boss in Foxhound. He and Ocelot then warn each other that they'll come into conflict because of their disagreement and might end up having to kill each other. Flash forward in the timeline and you've got Miller helping train Solid Snake (and presumably Liquid, maybe) and possibly trying to turn Venom against Big Boss, and Ocelot working closely with Big Boss and then getting in with Liquid to play all sides and also kill off Miller before MGS1 begins.

One question is when exactly they have this conversation. If it's after the game then Miller doesn't have a lot of opportunity to do much with Eli/Liquid, but he already resents and hates Big Boss without knowing about the Venom thing so mission accomplished there I guess. If it's before the game then Miller might've been loving with Ocelot by protecting Eli so he could stick around and nurse his grudge. Either way Miller's big contribution is to make Solid Snake too good, leading to Operation Intrude destroying Outer Heaven and exposing Big Boss (whether this is because Venom betrays Big Boss or really believes he's Big Boss or Solid just figures out the guy looks exactly like Big Boss isn't clear), and then infiltrating Zanzibar Land and setting the real Big Boss on fire.

Essentially the post-credits sequence reveals that Miller felt betrayed and succeeded in defeating Big Boss as revenge (via Solid), but Ocelot turned the tables after MG2 and set up the events of MGS1/2/4 (arguably also via Solid, but also via Liquid). The clones aren't on a particular "side," they're pawns in the game of Big Boss's former allies or the Patriot AIs depending on the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

-snip-

Nevermind, better explanation above.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

That's perfect. I find it hard to keep track of important points after playing this game for 70+ hours. So that clears a lot up, thanks!

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Thinking about it a bit more, what was the reason BB sent Solid to outer heaven in the first place?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Thinking about it a bit more, what was the reason BB sent Solid to outer heaven in the first place?

He wanted to sabotage the mission because he expected Solid to be too green to actually succeed in destroying Metal Gear. Otherwise, I dunno.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Originally? I'm not 100% sure but the original canon is that Big Boss set up Solid Snake to fail. What the failure would've accomplished I'm not sure. It's possible America was just breathing down Foxhound's neck so he had to send in guys to make it look like he was doing something. Solid Snake succeeding was an accident.

Post-MGS5? We don't know. Since the Big Boss in Outer Heaven is actually Venom Snake, it comes down to your interpretation of the final mirror scene and what you think ten years of war without end has done to Venom. If Venom went rogue, then Big Boss needs him killed off ASAP before he blows his cover or otherwise threatens the world. Or maybe Big Boss just wants a loose end tied off. Or maybe he's working with Venom and they're planning Snake to fail still. No way to be sure.

My personal take is that Venom has grown to see himself as a monster and regrets his participation in Big Boss's plan, perhaps finally realizing that Big Boss has played him and subsumed his identity into the myth of Big Boss without giving him any true control over how that myth develops. So in his final act, Venom decides he's going out as Big Boss, taking control of the meme in a way the real Big Boss can't stop: He'll fight Solid Snake as Big Boss and let things fall out as they will from there. By admitting to being Big Boss in front of Solid Snake he fucks over the real Big Boss and forces him to flee to Zanzibar Land, exposed in the eyes of the world as a nuclear-equipped warmonger; effectively as I see it Venom is exposing Big Boss as the demon that Venom knows he's had to become in order to truly be Big Boss. He won't allow Big Boss's image to escape Outer Heaven unscathed.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like how people interpret the ending differently honestly. My personal take:

When he saw his former self, then Demon Snake, then smashed the mirror the reflection was showing the real big boss. I took it to mean that he was fully on board with the idea and was ready to become Big Boss. Like it didn't matter that he wasn't Naked Snake, he was part of the myth of BB, people believed he was BB. Him seeing BB in the shattered reflection was Venom.

To be fair this is colored a bit by the fact that the game takes place in 1984 and has BIG BROTHER BOSS IS WATCHING posters all over the place. If you read 1984 a big part of the ending is that Big Brother is never revealed as a real person, and some characters hint that he's just a concept with a cult built around him. I took the comparison to Big Boss and that sort of thing pretty literally I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine
Kaz infects the world with Chemical Burgers containing parasites.

What was thought to be a joke, is actually a hint on what's to come. Except, it's going to be much uglier, and grittier than we can imagine. Think nanomachines with mutated parasites. Something beautiful being turned evil. Like diamonds.

Chapter 3 will feature Kaz as the Liquid Snake of MGS V. Skull Face was just his pawn, one of the elites in Kaz's crew.

Though I'm still hoping Skull Face is actually just Big Boss and it's all a visual piece on the effects of P.T.SD. Huey lead you to OKB-Zero for a reason, because it's a Diamond Dogs installation, built by Kazuhira. Which is why he got a lovely little boat ride. His girlfriend probably got snipped for similar reasons.

Quiet was created by Kazuhira, and stuck around to get revenge on him. Who she is, still remains a mystery. :dong:

They're not zombies, they're vampires, at least, Del Toro's version of Vampires. The plot of the parasites follows very closely to "The Strain" by Del Toro.

VOL 3 of Portopia contained the credits. "The Lost Tapes" is set to come out in March.

P.T. is a "Guy Savage"-esque nightmare Big Boss is suffering over the loss and murder of The Boss. P.T. likely means "PhanTom", while if you XOF it, becomes "T.P." or, The Pain.

The Colors of P.T.: Red - Venom, Green - Big Boss, Blue - Skull Face, Yellow - The Player (The connection between Venom and Big Boss)

This is more like an open ended TV show than it is a video game. Just like MGS4 was more like a movie. You already bought your pass, so buy MB coins to support development.

Peace!

Chippita fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 27, 2015

• Locked thread