Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Assorted questions time:

• Whats the hp range I can reliably kill with seeking arrow? Can I hit hidden units with it? EDIT: I can't tell if armor-negating attacks allow an opposing armor roll or not.
  • Magic Duel ignores boosters, gems, Power of the Spheres, Communions and all that, right?
  • How exactly does the HP modification on prophets/pretenders. IIRC, afflictions didn't check against the modified HP, or health was calculated at the end of the turn so you can move wherever with your buffed up health or something complicated like that
  • Battle order is the order on the army screen, top to bottom, right?
  • If my communion masters die, are the slaves free to cast again?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Fat Samurai posted:

Assorted questions time:

• Whats the hp range I can reliably kill with seeking arrow? Can I hit hidden units with it? EDIT: I can't tell if armor-negating attacks allow an opposing armor roll or not.
  • Magic Duel ignores boosters, gems, Power of the Spheres, Communions and all that, right?
  • How exactly does the HP modification on prophets/pretenders. IIRC, afflictions didn't check against the modified HP, or health was calculated at the end of the turn so you can move wherever with your buffed up health or something complicated like that
  • Battle order is the order on the army screen, top to bottom, right?
  • If my communion masters die, are the slaves free to cast again?

if someone is a human you can kill them with seeking arrow sometimes. you can not hit stealthed units but you can hit glamoured units that have not been ordered to hide. armor negating attacks allow a proteciton roll that does nothing i think? . magic duel works off of base paths, so it ignores the things you said as well as ignoring path boost. health for domhealth things is calculated right away, but it leaves the hp at what it was last turn for battles. things that work off of % of hp use the regular total, that is the total after the change, so regen and affliction chance are based off of the hp for the dom that the battle takes place in. if all of your communion masters leave a battle the communion slaves are free to act again, but they take 100 shock damage or whatever, which has dice rolls involved, so they will probably fall asleep

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

Whats the hp range I can reliably kill with seeking arrow? Can I hit hidden units with it? EDIT: I can't tell if armor-negating attacks allow an opposing armor roll or not.
Indie commanders and scouts, plus a lot of mages are reliably killable with Seeking Arrow.

It's 12AN damage with a DRN (2d6 exploding) either way, so it won't always kill 12HP units. Can kill 13hp+ ones if you get lucky, though!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It is 8AN which I think is around 40% to kill a 10 hp indie commander. Races with even 11hp on their mages you will fail a surprising amount. If you hit a target with multiple arrows in one turn the damage stacks and can kill them since regeneration only happens once in the turn order.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Huh I thought it was 12 well there we go I was wrong.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I would like to remind you all that going AI is for CHUMPS and BABIES and you should be ashamed of being such a drat wuss and quitting early.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

GenericOverusedName posted:

I would like to remind you all that going AI is for CHUMPS and BABIES and you should be ashamed of being such a drat wuss and quitting early.
Is it okay to go AI when you lost all your forts and are down to two provinces, no commanders, no gold and no army to speak of or am I a drat wuss? :ohdear:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Decrepus posted:

It is 8AN which I think is around 40% to kill a 10 hp indie commander. Races with even 11hp on their mages you will fail a surprising amount. If you hit a target with multiple arrows in one turn the damage stacks and can kill them since regeneration only happens once in the turn order.

Thans, this was my math. The spell looked kinda pointless as soon as I began thinking about multiple commanders in the same province, and had to check.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

frankenfreak posted:

Is it okay to go AI when you lost all your forts and are down to two provinces, no commanders, no gold and no army to speak of or am I a drat wuss? :ohdear:
You're like a turn away from defeat, stick it out.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

there's no real reason to play at that point

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Hey, I killed four of Ermor's temples and retook my cap (for a turn) in WarCrimes from a two provinces position, and it was the part I enjoyed the most of that game.

Bit of a pity about the other 50 temples, really.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

there's no real reason to play at that point

Spite. Funneling any event gems/other stuff to someone you dislike less.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

frankenfreak posted:

Sure you can go AI then as long as you don't mind being a GIANT BABY.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Hey, I killed four of Ermor's temples and retook my cap (for a turn) in WarCrimes from a two provinces position, and it was the part I enjoyed the most of that game.

Bit of a pity about the other 50 temples, really.

I'm loving that your dumb capital site is still killing any skeletons that spawn there, despite Marignon having been skeletonized for a while.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sure you can go AI then as long as you don't mind being a GIANT BABY.

Giant Baby should be a summon.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
If you never go AI you get to see the score graphs when you die.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

hinnom does this for free

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Timing question. Say I have three provinces, A and C are mine, B is the connector between the two and neutral. An unbeatable tide of monkeys is bearing down on C, which currently houses my pretender. I'm not sure I can take B with my pretender.

What would happen if I move my pretender to B from C with retreat orders. Does he end in A if monkeys take C? Or are retreat targets set as soon as the battle ends? Also, battles happen in random order, right?

PS: Sorry for the delay in cowards, I'm traveling and have to talk to some people on IRC, with limited computer access

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nuclearmonkee posted:

who dares call me

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Timing question. Say I have three provinces, A and C are mine, B is the connector between the two and neutral. An unbeatable tide of monkeys is bearing down on C, which currently houses my pretender. I'm not sure I can take B with my pretender.

What would happen if I move my pretender to B from C with retreat orders. Does he end in A if monkeys take C? Or are retreat targets set as soon as the battle ends? Also, battles happen in random order, right?

PS: Sorry for the delay in cowards, I'm traveling and have to talk to some people on IRC, with limited computer access

He will retreat to A assuming C is lost, retreats are resolved after provinces change hands

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
For some insane reason I've signed up for a game as MA Oceania and I'm kind of puzzling over what the hell I should do with it. Any advice, besides "don't" ?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

For some insane reason I've signed up for a game as MA Oceania and I'm kind of puzzling over what the hell I should do with it. Any advice, besides "don't" ?

If you are thinking of picking Oceana.

https://youtu.be/JUa3ft2nhyA

Don't.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 21, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
What about Vanarus? I'm apparently throwing my hat into the ring as well for some ungodly reason.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

Decrepus posted:

If you are thinking of picking Oceana.

https://youtu.be/JUa3ft2nhyA

Don't.

Don't listen to this guy. I'm playing as MA Oceania and it is awesome, just spam lots of the 3 resource ichtysatyrs and sirens. Use them to raid the crap out of things and kill enemy commanders and then stealth away before they get caught. Pick a pretender god that can beat up small armies and also gives you magic that you don't have. I picked an e3s7 awake kraken and I'm doing very well. Also make sure you grab some coastal provinces and fort them up, and the entire ocean.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Diabl0658 posted:

Don't listen to this guy. I'm playing as MA Oceania and it is awesome, just spam lots of the 3 resource ichtysatyrs and sirens. Use them to raid the crap out of things and kill enemy commanders and then stealth away before they get caught. Pick a pretender god that can beat up small armies and also gives you magic that you don't have. I picked an e3s7 awake kraken and I'm doing very well. Also make sure you grab some coastal provinces and fort them up, and the entire ocean.

I can attest to the efficacy of lovely ichtysatyrs and sirens :negative:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Decrepus posted:

I would like the CONQUEST OF ELYSIUM 4 game to start next week so let me know if you are going to be in it.

Decrepus - Senator
Flavahbeast - as himself
Absum - Australian
Barono - Burgmeister
Roland Jones - Enchanter
Diabl0 - Troll Lorde
Greyjoybastard - High Cultist
Baudin - some kind of dorf or something
Nuclearmonkee - Mictlan
amuayse - Voice of El
Density - Necrodancer

I obviously don't give a crap what you pick so that isn't important, or if you change it. It is going to be during the AGE OF EMPIRES.

A dire portent.

The multiplayer in Conquest of Elysium 4 is Very Bad. It is sequential turns unlike Dom4 and there will be no GGS to tell you when to do your turns. Consequently to be part of this game you will need to be an IRC user so people can yell at you when it is your turn. The pace of this is going to be very slow so be prepared for a long game.

Also, there are NO PASSWORDS at all for your signup. Anyone can connect at any time as any player. Players must be virtuous at all times. The age has also been changed to Dawn of a new Empire because Empire is boring as hell.

Nuclearmonkee is going to host the game, generate the map, and put everyone in the game. Please sign up on the Googledocs sheet. Again there will be an accompanying LP thread being made so take screenshots and type a bunch of retarded poo poo as you go, there is going to be plenty of time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12IFOnLbvQksqmDQ1hCj06zjhhnrWMQqPbLyA5SXvbuI/edit?usp=sharing

Cutoff for signup is going to be Tuesday 7PM EST.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Are the shrapnel games forums always under a google malware warning or have they just been hacked? Trying to get into dom3 (bought it ages ago and slipped off the learning curve) so I can pysch myself into getting dom4 this buying season.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

What's a good research target for MA Tien Chi after Evo 5? I have several ideas (Construction 4 seems a must for boosters and hammers, Conjuration for Summon xPower, and Enchanting and Alteration have some fun buffs), but I'm not sure where to go from here.

What's my midgame? Bigger stacks of communions that rain stones everywhere? Summoned raiders (not sure which ones)? Buffed armies?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
NoobsRus has ended in victory for naked screaming blood soaked ladies! I mean Pangaea!

I played EA Agartha and had a really strong early game on the back of troglodytes, which I managed to figure out how to deploy so they trampled indies and didn't get stuck with spears. This transitioned into a powerful midgame based around magma children and olms which I used to brutally murder non-IRC Sauromatia and prompt a long screed from him in this or the PGS thread comparing me to Hitler or something.

Diplomatically I reached out to all of my neighbours that were on IRC (!!Mictlan!! to my north, pangaea to my north east and TNN to my west.) and was on good terms with them all through the game, and this let me focus on people who for whatever reason were not on IRC and allowing me to grab a lot of territory for very little risk.

The game eventually came down to me, Mictlan and pangaea. Mictlan had been unlucky with blood hunting sites and was relatively small, my armies of magma children, earth elementals, olms and blade wind slinging mages made relatively short work of them. They did manage to inflict two major wounds on me though. First, they cast astral corruption which shut down my ability to continue summoning soldiers to replace my losses, and secondly the first storming of their fort proved absolutely disastrous and I lost a massive army.

This was very fuckin bad. That loss represented 52 earth gems, 77 fire gems and 129 water gems going up in smoke, to say nothing of the expensive mages and olms that I'd lost. The loss was avoidable as well, if i'd set my olms to fire largest target they would have stunned that damned statue of the bloody mother and prevented it from dropping any of its really powerful blood spells on my army, which might have been enough to win me that battle.

Just before this battle I broke the seal as well, and that was the most disappointing thing about the whole game. Instead of flying around loving up everyone two God Vessels just sat on a fort of mine and then took a couple provinces over the course of the game and the Legion of Gods. sat in an indie province for the entire remainder, doing absolutly nothing. Oh, one of the god vessels eventualy wandered into a Watcher and Monolith lvl 3 throne. The Monolith won.

The final war with pangea did not start well and did not proceed well at any point. While I'd been losing mages, olms and summoned troops to mictlan he'd built up, stockpiled gems and marshalled a terrifying large force of maenads ready to attack me. Taking down astral corruption was ultimately a mistake as it allowed Pangea to spam globals, including vengeful waters and gift of health.

Those two globals killed me. My mages, especially the big STR ones died like flies to the water elementals and meant attacking him was a losing proposition as I kept having to go back and scope up troops that god dropped or lost a critical buff caster. This was made worse by the fact that my own remote attacks (Earth attack) bounced off of his damned pans and only killed a single one in like 20 casts. Gift of health removed my easiest counter to his maenad swarms in that it made them resistant, or with the right buffs, immune to earthquake. In general I had become so caught in the middle game wars I was involved in that I had failed to diversify properly and my choices were limited to things that turned out not to work that well.

It was also where my loses to mictlan came back and bit me hard. If I’d had that army I might still have been able so push through to their cap and kill their PG that had cast all globals, but I instead had to try and resummons enough troops and could not win that race against armies ready to invade me.
It was a very fun game though, made that way by the players I interacted with and the non-IRC players that I killed with near impunity. I also learnt a lot from it. most importantly is that jaguar warriors can survive without thier heads.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Pity, you cannot use helmets any longer

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Decrepus posted:

A dire portent.

The multiplayer in Conquest of Elysium 4 is Very Bad. It is sequential turns unlike Dom4 and there will be no GGS to tell you when to do your turns. Consequently to be part of this game you will need to be an IRC user so people can yell at you when it is your turn. The pace of this is going to be very slow so be prepared for a long game.

Also, there are NO PASSWORDS at all for your signup. Anyone can connect at any time as any player. Players must be virtuous at all times. The age has also been changed to Dawn of a new Empire because Empire is boring as hell.

Nuclearmonkee is going to host the game, generate the map, and put everyone in the game. Please sign up on the Googledocs sheet. Again there will be an accompanying LP thread being made so take screenshots and type a bunch of retarded poo poo as you go, there is going to be plenty of time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12IFOnLbvQksqmDQ1hCj06zjhhnrWMQqPbLyA5SXvbuI/edit?usp=sharing

Cutoff for signup is going to be Tuesday 7PM EST.

A message from our DEAREST LEADER Kristoffer

quote:

Hi, personally I like to play MP in a two player team vs AI teams.
It is how I and JK mostly playtest the game.
With a two player team you can do your turns simultaneously and chat and explore the game. Very little waiting. We usually play vs two AI teams, one set to baron-duke and one marquis-marquis.
I imagine non-cooperative MP games work best with two teams, as you do only have to wait for one other team.

The waiting times of hot-seat games is what made us do dominions (and it's pbem structure) in the first place. CoE has always been a more hot-seatish game, and since you do not give orders to be performed under a hosting process, but in sequential turns, it will obviously take more time unless you play in teams.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Are they saying that CoE4 isn't designed for competitive multiplayer??? :monocle:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I was in as Mictlan in Noobs'R'Us

Absolutely amazing game. My momentum was lost in the first year when Arco, loving Arco, tried to pull of the cockiest poo poo I've yet to see in this game. Taking advantage of my lovely dying dominion he flooded my capitol with Sceptics and spammed temples behind a wall of Province Defense. I was a couple of turns away from getting prayed out of existance before I cottoned on and buried him under a wall of jaguars. I had to divert my research into construction to pick up jade knives, divert attack troops in patrolling my capitol and engage in some inefficient attacks to stop his "attack". Afterwards Arco's player revealed he was trying to do the same to two other players at the same time. If he had focused on me I would have died an extremely embarrassing death. Even as it was, I was constantly on the back foot after that.

I had some bad luck in terms of map layout. I had no provinces that had a decent population for blood hunting other than my capitol. Once I took Arco I got three decent locations, but I was already hurting for slaves. I had been intending to fill out my army with beast bats, but without the slaves to cast them I had to switch to plan B.

Plan B was to rush to Alteration 5 for Wooden Warriors and cast Mother Oak to fuel the summoning of jaguars to fill out the armies until I got a real blood economy up. Wooden Warriors carried me through the conquest of Ermor with minimal losses, but my Pretender took such a long time to arrive that I didn't get Mother Oak up until the start of end game. By this point Agartha was clearly in the lead, and his armies would blatantly tear apart what I was planning to do, necessitating a switch to Plan C.

Now, I had been trying to patch together an alliance to dog-pile Agartha since year 1. Unfortunately my potential allies were going AI after losing their Earf Snake, trying to attack me, or had agreed to a 5 year NAP with Agartha, so I could do jack poo poo. But the time Agartha was eating Niffleheim, I managed to convince Pangaea to ally against him. I think we both recognize that we made a mess of diplomacy and should have communicated our plans better, and we basically managed very little.

At this point Plan C kicks in. This was rushing to Const. 6 for Lightless Lanterns and boosters, rushing to Blood 8 for Call Horrors, and empowering the absolute poo poo out of a moon priest in order for him to cast Astral Corruption. Literally multiple hundreds of gems were converted into pearls and jammed down that guy's throat. I made sure to kit him out with boots of youth because having him die of old age would have made me cry irl.

I haven't played this game in over a year, and I remembered Horrors destroying entire armies. Unfortunately they have either been nerfed, or Agartha's armies were the absolute king poo poo (probably the latter). I saw the games final boss, the Eater of God, get paralyzed and picked apart with minimal losses. Plan C was a bust.

At this point I was out of options and forced into the defensive by Agartha's armies. I managed some fairly effective raiding, but my only major victory was Pyrrhic victory at my capitol which clobbered one of Carcer's armies. The bulk of the damage wasn't actually done by my Pretender, who mostly just cast a few useful boosters, but by my researchers - mictlan priests with 5 blood slaves a-piece set to cast leech, and S1 sages boosted by Light of the Northern Star and the other S booster, and then laying into the other army with Mind Burn and Soul Slay. A ton of undead, imps and insects blocked up the gate to the pallisade while those bastards got to works. I had a slight hope I might be able to manage a come-back from a decisive defense, but the losses were catastrophic, and the game was basically over then. The rear end in a top hat moon priest that cast astral corruption was one of the only survivors of the battle, loving over Agartha for a few turns more.

I was extremely confident that Agartha was going to win the game when I went AI, but by the sounds of it there was a tidal wave of Maenads the turn after.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 23, 2015

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

quote:

5 year NAP

:captainpop:

What in the world?? The longest NAP I've ever felt ballsy enough to make has been 2 years...

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Agartha armies are pretty bullshit.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
They are until they drown in maenads and white centaurs.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

How are u posted:

:captainpop:

What in the world?? The longest NAP I've ever felt ballsy enough to make has been 2 years...

I did a 5-turn notice nap once

That game didn't actually end

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How are u posted:

Are they saying that CoE4 isn't designed for competitive multiplayer??? :monocle:

Yep, but in any case the idea of playing it with just two allied teams seems a sensible option.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wouldn't mind teams. If nothing else it'd give me a better opportunity of surviving long enough to do anything instead of getting rushed immediately by monkee or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I love how the poor fucker is not blind despite having no head. That's some G-Virus poo poo there.

EDIT: Umbrella Corporation nation when

• Locked thread