Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
:siren: The More Armor Mod Is Not Safe!! :siren:

checked over the more armor slots mod in fo4edit. It wipes out a shitton of data for pieces of armour and you probably want to be real leery of using it because it's exactly that problem which caused save corruption in skyrim.

I'll be remaking all my mods in fo4edit incidentally.

remove it from your game and ideally go back to a save from before you used it if possible, or you will likely get save corruption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Most of my problems with the game can be fixed with mods. A couple alternate start mods, mute PC voice mod and a whole bunch of guns and crafting and settlement tweaks and I'll be pretty much set.

That's my problem with the game, actually. I feel like they started implementing all of these things, got the base-level mechanics in, and went "Well, people will just mod in functionality for this, so we're good here."

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Ran into a hilarious bug yesterday:

I did the Drug deal quest for Cooke several days ago, and after the boss lady surrendered, she tried to plead for her life but mid-sentence Cooke walked up and shotgunned her point blank in the ear so I thought it was a scripted event and just walked away. Yesterday I happen to be walking by the ambush site and happen to look at the ghoul lady's corpse and the dialog wheel pops up where it left off. Curious I click on the generic "tell me more" option and my character looks at the rotting headless corpse and asks it to explain itself.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

checked over the more armor slots mod in fo4edit. It wipes out a shitton of data for pieces of armour and you probably want to be real leery of using it because it's exactly that problem which caused save corruption in skyrim.

remove it from your game and ideally go back to a save from before you used it if possible, or you will likely get save corruption

Oh, FO4Edit came out? That'll make things much easier. Now we just need Mod Organizer to support Fallout 4 and I'll be pretty golden.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Delerion posted:

We need guns, lots of guns.

After playing FNV with every millenia weapon this game feels like it has 10 weapons total(and on top of that most of them are ugly with bolts on the wrong side)

Yeah, the problem I'm running into is that regular pipe weapons are ineffectual as all hell in enemy hands, lasers are fairly rare and don't do much, plasma outside of gunners hands are non-existant, and the only ones who carry SMGs are triggermen.

There's this giant gulf in the game between raiders using pipes and 10mm pistols and later game enemies who use gamma guns (which are rare enough that leadlining is almost useless), rocket launchers, and fat man nukes. Fallout 3 at least had multiple guns of the same weapon type (hunting rifles, lever actionsand sniper rifles; Chinese and American ARs; a heap of pistols and revolvers); by shuffling off everything into 'pipe' you end up either sleeping through combat or dying in a quarter second.

edit: Also not having a semi-auto sniper rifle is killing me.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 23, 2015

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Weapons are just all hosed up and probably will be until the mod tools come out. Raiders use pipe pistols thar do no damage but super mutants with pipe pistols can tear through power armor. It's just so rear end backwards.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Woebin posted:

I never expected F4 to be competently written seeing as it's Bethesda, but it's kind of amazing how little they seem to have learned from New Vegas in other respects. Did they not even play it?

It is pretty funny actually, I think FO4 is a great game (loads better than FO3 was at release) and while I like how Bethesda streamlined a number of systems and mechanics (sup radiation) the writing is still hilariously bad.

The faction "system" or lack thereof is particularly bad. I don't think I've been able to lock myself out of anything and a few times I've seen characters that you can be a total dick to and still have the same outcome as if you were not a dick to them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The faction system has the same exact problem that Deus Ex: IW had. They don't want to lock players out from content too quickly but it basically ends up with you jerking around all the other factions until the endgame when you finally choose one. They put way less thought into it than Obsidian did with New Vegas.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

The Iron Rose posted:

well rip, I've been using more armor slots all along in my game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

For a working alternative :siren: for the ballistic weave mod as well, use the following:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2228/

combines the two and doesn't contain dirty edits.

This should be reflected in the OP ASAP

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Rirse posted:

In that same note, did Skyrim ever get a mod that ported Oblivion over to it's engine?
TES6 will be released before its finished and then they'll start a project to port Skyrim over to that engine.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

What about this mod instead?

quote:

Not compatible with More Armor Slots by Abbalovesyou or Ballistic Weave Expanded by LordGrievous, but this does everything those two mods did, and more, and also doesn't contain the dirty edits that both of those have from being made with FalloutSnip.

[edit] Slow bus.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Now we just need Mod Organizer to support Fallout 4 and I'll be pretty golden.

I'm waiting on MO to support FO4 before I start installing any mods as well, but it might be a while from the sounds of it. They need to rewrite a lot of code to support the 64bit executable. :smith:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Nexus Mod Manager is perfectly fine given the limited number of mods out there.

CheeseN1P
May 28, 2010

Sometimes you just gotta shake the shy ones loose.
I wouldn't wait, there are some fun ones and life is to short.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

The Iron Rose posted:

For a working alternative :siren: for the ballistic weave mod as well, use the following:

Lucky me, I only started using it a couple of days ago. :D

...Which is something like 10 hours of playtime. :negative:

If I strip my character, uninstall Old Armor, load up and save the game, then re-load using the new mod, would that keep things safe? Or is it screwed either way?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

isndl posted:

I'm waiting on MO to support FO4 before I start installing any mods as well, but it might be a while from the sounds of it. They need to rewrite a lot of code to support the 64bit executable. :smith:
AFAIK Nexus Mod Manager does the whole profiles thing by creating hard links on the disk instead of trying to hook into the program to present it with a virtual file system like MO does. Seems like that worked out better for them.

I'm saying that because I can't imagine what else would require attention to whether the executable is 32 or 64 bit. Might be completely wrong.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Lucky me, I only started using it a couple of days ago. :D

...Which is something like 10 hours of playtime. :negative:

If I strip my character, uninstall Old Armor, load up and save the game, then re-load using the new mod, would that keep things safe? Or is it screwed either way?

It's better than nothing, but nothing can keep your saves perfectly safe.

Checked over all my mods and they are safe fortunately, since by and large they only make GMST changes or add recipes.

On a related note, I'm branching out, would like to make a weapon rebalance. Just focusing on damage right now (not yet ranged), what weapons would you change, and how? What would you make stronger, weaker?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Whats wrong with nexus mod manager.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

It's better than nothing, but nothing can keep your saves perfectly safe.

Checked over all my mods and they are safe fortunately, since by and large they only make GMST changes or add recipes.

On a related note, I'm branching out, would like to make a weapon rebalance. Just focusing on damage right now (not yet ranged), what weapons would you change, and how? What would you make stronger, weaker?

How about finding the spread values for shotguns and moving the period over to the left one step? :v:

Or comically, add a zero after the number of pellets.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Speaking from experience, if you skip a couple of updates, sometimes it might "forget" any mods you had and start to mess up your entire installation, making it nearly unplayable without restarting all mods and everything.

And sometimes it is just poorly programmed and causes some weird bugs you wouldn't expect of a mod manager.

I still use it because I've prepared my butt for the pain that comes with it, but it's a nice thing to be aware of.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Nowhere near as flexible, stable, or useful as mod organizer. This is especially (well, only) true for Skyrim where it's so much better it literally beggars belief. Keeping your data folder safe is just one part of it - it's faster, easier to use, and has the best integration of texture mods I've ever seen.

Incidentally keep weapon damage suggestions coming!

E: I meant not yet range not ranged, I only mean guns.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Inverness posted:

AFAIK Nexus Mod Manager does the whole profiles thing by creating hard links on the disk instead of trying to hook into the program to present it with a virtual file system like MO does. Seems like that worked out better for them.

I'm saying that because I can't imagine what else would require attention to whether the executable is 32 or 64 bit. Might be completely wrong.

As I understand it yeah, it's mostly because of the VFS thing. I haven't kept up with NMM ever since I made the jump to MO ages ago so NMM doing symlinked profiles is news to me.

Does NMM now allow you to shuffle the load order of conflicting mods without problems? Having to install texture mods in a specific order was a pain in the rear end, especially when you later uninstall one or decide to mix and match.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

isndl posted:

As I understand it yeah, it's mostly because of the VFS thing. I haven't kept up with NMM ever since I made the jump to MO ages ago so NMM doing symlinked profiles is news to me.

Does NMM now allow you to shuffle the load order of conflicting mods without problems? Having to install texture mods in a specific order was a pain in the rear end, especially when you later uninstall one or decide to mix and match.

It only lets you shuffle .esp loadorders afaik. Not texture/sound/whatever load orders, which is a kinda fatal flaw imo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was there a mod out yet that makes guns sound not poo poo? This combat rifle sounds like an airsoft gun.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Did Fallout Mod Manager fall out of favor? Or isn't it F4 compatible yet?

[edit] Seems the original guy isn't making the new FOMM?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 23, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Waiting for a mod that puts permanent rad-fog in all the high geometry areas that Bethesda decided their 5 year old engine could handle. They saved on performance by not having entities cast shadows (and the decision was clearly made early on, because the self-shadowing on the 3D loading screen models shows that the shadows are open-edged/broken for about half of them) and roughing in water volumes and weather occluders with massive six-sided volumes but thought nothing of shoving ten thousand terrain props into every square block of the Financial District. Blow out the midday highs and drop all the distant textures down to poo poo quality, fog rolls in every morning, drop night down to simple lights aside from the "setpiece" hobo drum fires. Game looks fine. You can even have your stupid loving godrays. Aaaagh, so mad at videogaems.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Iron Rose posted:

Nowhere near as flexible, stable, or useful as mod organizer. This is especially (well, only) true for Skyrim where it's so much better it literally beggars belief. Keeping your data folder safe is just one part of it - it's faster, easier to use, and has the best integration of texture mods I've ever seen.

Incidentally keep weapon damage suggestions coming!

E: I meant not yet range not ranged, I only mean guns.

Making the Hunting Rifle/Sniper Rifle more powerful or at least just the .50 upgrade more significant so it isn't outclassed by the Revolver in every way might be good.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Will do.

Woebin posted:

I never expected F4 to be competently written seeing as it's Bethesda, but it's kind of amazing how little they seem to have learned from New Vegas in other respects. Did they not even play it?

This really isn't the right thread for this discussion. Check one of the other two linked in the OP. You are more likely to find people that want to discuss the flaws of Fo4, and Bethesdas shortcomings.

The Iron Rose posted:

I will pull it from the OP, if its in there cant remember right now.

The Iron Rose posted:

Done.

The Iron Rose posted:

This is a much more difficult problem than it at first seems, when something goes up in level it just gets more HP, so at what level are you balancing? If you balance for high level, it makes early levels cake and everything will die in one shot.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 23, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Is there anything that lets you remap all the control keys rather than just a few of them?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

This is a much more difficult problem than it at first seems, when something goes up in level it just gets more HP, so at what level are you balancing? If you balance for high level, it makes early levels cake and everything will die in one shot.

This is somewhat fixed by the fact you have to be a certain level for certain gun mods.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

The Iron Rose posted:

A good start might be adressing some of the weirdness of weapons as they are. Someone on Reddit tested a bunch of stuff and there's all sorts of jankiness involving weapons hitting twice sometimes, sometimes negating immunity and sometimes not.

Some of the highlights:

-Bleed weapons are insanely strong on anything that fires multiple pellets quickly
-Fire weapons are absolutely worthless after early levels
-The shotgun mod for plasma rifles is worse than the short barrel in every respect
-BUT if you have an explosive plasma gun, the shotgun mod causes a weird bug that adds a shitload of damage
-Two-shot modifier only doubles base damage

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

LumberingTroll posted:

This really isn't the right thread for this discussion. Check one of the other two linked in the OP. You are more likely to find people that want to discuss the flaws of Fo4, and Bethesdas shortcomings.
Yeah, wasn't looking to start a discussion, just a general comment. To bring it around to being more modtalky though, I'm looking forward to the proper toolset being released so people can implement stuff that's missing. Hardcore mode seems like such an obvious thing to implement on release of an open world post-apocalyptic thing like this, especially since NV did it.

Also it might be out of the purview of mods to fix entirely, but goddamn do I hate the one-dimensional enemies Bethesda implemented. Super mutant areas being uniformly covered in gore and stuff is dumb as hell.

Anyway it's cool that modding is happening already, this is a good thread.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

MO is also great for allowing you to custom set what folder should be the Data folder when installing a mod, and which files to not even bother extracting (readmes, screenshots, etc). I eagerly await the 64bit/FO4 update, but Nexus will do for now.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

The Iron Rose posted:

I would make the Institute laser weapons as good or slightly better than the commonwealth laser weapons. The Institute works constantly to make their weapons better, the commonwealth weapons were just picked up of the ground 200+ years ago.

i still wouldn't use them tho, their first person models are loving gigantic

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

NickPancakes posted:

MO is also great for allowing you to custom set what folder should be the Data folder when installing a mod, and which files to not even bother extracting (readmes, screenshots, etc). I eagerly await the 64bit/FO4 update, but Nexus will do for now.

Yeah, I was surprised to find the new Nexus Mod Manager using a virtual data directory, which is pretty cool and similar to how MO handles things. MO's ability to see what is overwriting what is very nice, though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dongattack posted:

I would make the Institute laser weapons as good or slightly better than the commonwealth laser weapons. The Institute works constantly to make their weapons better, the commonwealth weapons were just picked up of the ground 200+ years ago.

i still wouldn't use them tho, their first person models are loving gigantic

This is true and I agree.

I'd like to also suggest a minigun damage-per-round boost. From what I think it is currently (8 or so?) to 12 as a base perhaps, and see if thats too much? Either way, just increase it by either 33% or 50% depending along with each of the upgrades, if thats also tweakable atm.

The thing eats ammo like nobody's business anyways.

I'd say honestly, the 50 cal is a bit weak for being a 50 cal... but then again, ammo for it is surprisingly plentiful and cheap compared to NV so Im unsure :(

Flamer just hitting harder seems kind of cheap. Wish there was some way to make it stack burning damage by default (less than the burning you get from legendaries damage-wise, but still something like that).

FreelanceSocialist posted:

Just do the bayonet upgrade on the minigun and shred people to death for zero ammo.

One day, modders will animate it so you rev-up the barrel and blades when you stab with it. Then, it will be the attack mode of kings.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 23, 2015

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
Just do the bayonet upgrade on the minigun and shred people to death for zero ammo.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lmfao dedicated magic damage is a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd kill for the magic legendary weapon thing to instead be weapon mods you can add yourself though, fire effects and multiple projectiles from guns as a magic effect is pretty lame vs. being able to cook up some hot-rodded pipe pistol to do all that. The gently caress can't I combine a bunch of stealth boys onto combat armor myself? How did this legendary gear get the effect?

• Locked thread