Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

O'Dim is definitely the most powerful. The guy can stop time which basically makes him a god and nothing like that exists in the books. Those beings in Season of Storms can be insanely powerful when it comes to physical abilities like destroying whole villages but that's not even close to O'Dim doing what he wants with the laws of space and time. Basically there is always some sort of price to pay/method to even the most powerful beings in the books and O'Dim is way too unbalanced in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess the balancer there is that O'Dimm is utterly bound by his word and whatever agreements he makes. Although I'm still not sure if that's a hard and fast rule like the Crones and some other mythological creatures operate under, or just him making things interesting for himself. Also he's incredibly petty and not interesting in world domination or whatever.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's probably a limit he places on himself. If you can have everything, nothing is really worth doing at all. So he plays this little game to keep things interesting.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's probably a limit he places on himself. If you can have everything, nothing is really worth doing at all. So he plays this little game to keep things interesting.

I like that because it has parallels with Olgierd after he stopped feeling much of anything, but it's not actually shown in the game that much if it's true, which would make it a bit of a missed opportunity. I've only played HoS once though so maybe I just missed it.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Maybe his power was more modest originally but stealing people's souls has made him stronger.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
From the game perspective, stopping time doesn't seem an indication of omnipotence, he basically cast a very powerful Yrden on the inn. Nothing that should be beyond a sorcerer or demon. Even Geralt suspects it could just be a conjurers trick.

Of course Gaunter's obviously very powerful but he seems fine to spend his time outsmarting mental midgets like Olgierd.

Does anyone think Ciri wouldn't absolutely house him. Herpa derp I can stop time and torture ghosts oh no why's my head over there and my body way over here, they should be closer.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
None of that should detract from the fact that he's one of the best characters in the game and by far the best villain.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Supreme Allah posted:

From the game perspective, stopping time doesn't seem an indication of omnipotence, he basically cast a very powerful Yrden on the inn. Nothing that should be beyond a sorcerer or demon. Even Geralt suspects it could just be a conjurers trick.
I think he thought that because actually stopping time is on a level of so ridiculously powerful that it's hard to believe. Yrden doesn't do that. No mage can do that. It's unprecedented in the setting.

Supreme Allah posted:

Of course Gaunter's obviously very powerful but he seems fine to spend his time outsmarting mental midgets like Olgierd.
And putting flies in peoples' soup. He's a very petty kind of evil.

Supreme Allah posted:

Does anyone think Ciri wouldn't absolutely house him. Herpa derp I can stop time and torture ghosts oh no why's my head over there and my body way over here, they should be closer.
No, Gaunter would destroy Ciri in any kind of straight up fight when a spoon spontaneously gave her a lobotomy.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Gaunter: Hullo love, they call me Master Mirror. I do dumb weird stuff on a small scale, but maybe it adds up. I stopped time in an inn once!

Ciri: I'm the Lady of Time and Space and can literally go anywhere, anywhen, anytime I want. I decapitated you five minutes ago.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ciri is not nearly as powerful as you're suggesting and has very little control of her powers, particularly in terms of time, which she doesn't understand and virtually never uses.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Hey Sharmat and Palpek, you guys seem the most knowledgeable on the books and I started reading The Last Wish recently, so I was wondering, is Heliotrop is the only sign not included in The Witcher 3? And are all the signs in 3 from the books originally, or are any of them exclusive to the game universe?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
In even casual combat she can literally freeze time and target people and then flash around and sever their spine/brain relationship while they remain frozen. Did anyone, on any difficulty, have even a remotely hard time crushing in any Ciri fight? It was like cathartic cheat-mode.

She does have to curb using her powers in most of the game because of the Hunt, but she also hops between universes at will. I don't see her limits. I think you're under-estimating her.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Beeez posted:

Hey Sharmat and Palpek, you guys seem the most knowledgeable on the books and I started reading The Last Wish recently, so I was wondering, is Heliotrop is the only sign not included in The Witcher 3? And are all the signs in 3 from the books originally, or are any of them exclusive to the game universe?

I've heard Season of Storms introduces a new one but I haven't read it because it's never been translated into English. Heliotrope is in Witcher 2 though its functionality seems largely made up there, with little to do with its book incarnation. Not that I'm complaining because the bullet time bubble was cool and fun. A shame you can't really parry low level mage attacks in the game like Geralt could in the books if he had the right sign up, though. I guess Quen is kinda close?

None of the signs in the game are exclusive to the game, although sometimes what exactly they do is basically made up for gameplay mechanic purposes. I think yrden and aard are probably the closest to their book counterparts in functionality.

Supreme Allah posted:

In even casual combat she can literally freeze time and target people and then flash around and sever their spine/brain relationship while they remain frozen. Did anyone, on any difficulty, have even a remotely hard time crushing in any Ciri fight? It was like cathartic cheat-mode.

She does have to curb using her powers in most of the game because of the Hunt, but she also hops between universes at will. I don't see her limits. I think you're under-estimating her.

She doesn't freeze time in combat in the game. Stuff kinda goes slo-mo for gameplay purposes but sit there charging her chain teleport and a guy will run up and hit you. I actually found the very first Ciri segment in the game, with the wolves and the werewolf in Velen, difficult. But only on Death March NG+ because Ciri doesn't seem to scale right.

I'd also point out she almost dies multiple time to fairly mundane foes, including Novigrad temple guards and Whoreson Jr.'s henchmen. She's powerful, but there's a reason she's on the run all the time.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
She never came close to dying when I controlled her.

I suspect you need more practice in your Ciri'ing.

Ciri > Gaunter

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's mostly in cutscenes, granted.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Another thing I was thinking about is the presentation of story in an open world game. The issue in a fantasy open world always seems to be that the story is epic and requires urgency at every turn while the game encourages you to get sidetracked. In that way the game and the story are working against each other and actively take away from both individually.

I think this type of game could have benefited from being open world in the beginning with a story that was really low key and not urgent. And as the story progressed and things became more urgent the world becomes more focused. After the game you can go back to exploring again.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah that is a bit of a problem with the whole Yennefer insisting we've got to save Ciri ASAP she could die at any time and then Geralt running off to do 20 hours of sidequests 100 miles away thing. I'm used to ignoring it though.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
It seems a matter of perspective and circumstance, do this:

Gaunter is placed in a reality where he cannot use his power lest he draw attention & danger to a lot of folks he cares about.

Ciri's loving completely unhinged and just wants to humiliate idiots for fun.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Crap. I'm in the early game of NG+ and the Crow's Perch armorer doesn't have a huge cash reserve yet. I guess she doesn't get that until I get her the Undvik tools. All my loot is so expensive in NG+, I keep having to travel all over to sell it all :(

On the bright side, I used the eternal-potion-duration skill and Superior White Rafford's to cheese the runewright's jade mission, so I got my Severance back on my swords. No way I could play 3/4ths of the game without my whirly flashy spinning globe of death.

Also I didn't like the Viper school armor at first, but after wearing it for a bit it's grown on me. It's got scales and the little tassels look like rattlesnake tails. :3:

edit: whirly flashy slicey wicey

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Supreme Allah posted:

It seems a matter of perspective and circumstance, do this:

Gaunter is placed in a reality where he cannot use his power lest he draw attention & danger to a lot of folks he cares about.

Ciri's loving completely unhinged and just wants to humiliate idiots for fun.

Then she's still a lot worse at it than Gaunter because the power she wasn't using was just inter-universal travel and long distance teleports. Her main thing that she actually has any control over but can't use due to circumstances is basically awesome for running away.

Edit: Also come to think of it I'm kind of doubtful you can fight Gaunter by stabbing him with sharp bits of metal anyway. Seems like the kind of thing someone might have tried at one point.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 23, 2015

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Sharmat posted:

Then she's still a lot worse at it than Gaunter because the power she wasn't using was just inter-universal travel and long distance teleports. Her main thing that she actually has any control over but can't use due to circumstances is basically awesome for running away.

Edit: Also come to think of it I'm kind of doubtful you can fight Gaunter by stabbing him with sharp bits of metal anyway. Seems like the kind of thing someone might have tried at one point.

She had no choice in pretty much all of the situations she found herself in.

Now, you may not be able to hurt Master Mirror with a blade but you sure can fling him into oblivion. Geralt managed it, Ciri'd laugh at him while she did it. She's as smart at Geralt if not more so.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
She's probably smarter than Geralt honestly judging from how she performed with all of Yennefer's sorceress test things in the books. Gaunter will just have to look up somewhat tougher riddle next time that doesn't have a huge hint from his name.

Though she has a way worse temper than Geralt so she might get all frustrated and stupid because of it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm working my way through the books so my perspective may well change; just from what I seen in the games, she's stupid OP.

Anyone still bothering with this thread btw needs to buy a couple of them novels.

Well written, good action.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The difference between O'Dimm and Ciri is that O'Dimm can't be killed. He's immortal, even in Season of Storms all that can be done to those beings is count on their nature to kick in when Geralt kills their host or fights them long enough for them to go away humiliated. Even then Geralt kinda assumes they went back to their world but there's no proof to that. As incredibly powerful as Ciri is she's still very much mortal and decapitating O'Dimm would be as effective as decapitating Olgierd when he was under his protection and we've seen how that went.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

On the other hand though Ciri destroys White Frost...somehow so maybe she could use the same one weird trick to kill O'Dimm.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

One thing I liked a lot about Ciri's power regarding the Witcher ending was how it's pretty obvious the Emperor can tell she's not dead, but that's irrelevant. With no Wild Hunt or anything around to make her limit her powers, there's no point trying to get her to do something she doesn't want since she can just vanish.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah Iris may not be the best sword from a stats perspective but it glows a bunch after you start hitting people with it and amusingly knocks things on their asses.

I never used the death shovel but I'm hoping to give it a whirl in the next DLC. :getin:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah that is a bit of a problem with the whole Yennefer insisting we've got to save Ciri ASAP she could die at any time and then Geralt running off to do 20 hours of sidequests 100 miles away thing. I'm used to ignoring it though.

I mean, it's like in FF7 with meteor just chilling and yeah you could save the planet, but I should probably breed golden chocobos first.

At least with FF6 (the superior FF game) it was already the end of the world so loving around making sure everyone had every spell and skill was worth the time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Tirranek posted:

One thing I liked a lot about Ciri's power regarding the Witcher ending was how it's pretty obvious the Emperor can tell she's not dead, but that's irrelevant. With no Wild Hunt or anything around to make her limit her powers, there's no point trying to get her to do something she doesn't want since she can just vanish.

It's more that once it was clear she had no interest whatsoever he just chose to let her go because he's a tremendous dick but he is her father. Same thing happened in the books at one point. It's not just "Oh this is too hard, I give up." Emhyr doesn't do that really. Ever. If he was still determined to find her he'd be enlisting mages everywhere to find a way to track her the way the Hunt does.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Supreme Allah posted:

She never came close to dying when I controlled her.

I suspect you need more practice in your Ciri'ing.

Ciri > Gaunter

Gaunter can walk on invisible stairs in the sky. I haven't seen Ciri sky teleport slash people.

Gaunter > Ciri

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I half expect Gaunter pulled that "Oh technically we're standing on the moon right now" trick on Olgierd just because actually teleporting both of them to the actual moon would be too easy.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I got pretty far into Act 1 before bothering with Gwent, and it looks like there are some missable cards that I... missed?

Act 1 spoilers:
Olivier - He died during a mission for Triss before I could play against him. Some searching online suggests that his card SHOULD show up in the back room of the Kingfisher, but it didn't for me. I found the spot where screenshots show it should be, and nothing is there.

Dinner Party thing - The one where you get the Dandelion card. I did actually win the first match (and got a reward card) with my newbie deck, but the second one stomped me five times straight so I gave up. Is there no way to go back and get the Dandelion card?

Am I out of luck on these two?

I wish they'd put in alternate ways to obtain all of the cards with quest-limited availability, like they did with the Bloody Baron. I don't really care too much about achievements (especially since I'm playing on GOG), but these both seem like really, really good cards that I don't think I can get without restarting/NG+.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

WhiteHowler posted:

I got pretty far into Act 1 before bothering with Gwent, and it looks like there are some missable cards that I... missed?

Act 1 spoilers:
Olivier - He died during a mission for Triss before I could play against him. Some searching online suggests that his card SHOULD show up in the back room of the Kingfisher, but it didn't for me. I found the spot where screenshots show it should be, and nothing is there.

Dinner Party thing - The one where you get the Dandelion card. I did actually win the first match (and got a reward card) with my newbie deck, but the second one stomped me five times straight so I gave up. Is there no way to go back and get the Dandelion card?

Am I out of luck on these two?

I wish they'd put in alternate ways to obtain all of the cards with quest-limited availability, like they did with the Bloody Baron. I don't really care too much about achievements (especially since I'm playing on GOG), but these both seem like really, really good cards that I don't think I can get without restarting/NG+.

For the first of those, you can loot it from his house here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=452352036

I've heard you can get the second in random merchant games if you miss it the first time.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 23, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
That said I always discard the Dandelion card later in the game because my deck was just so OP he sucked by the end. lol

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Why was Vesemir going to give White Raffords Decoction to Leo in Witcher 1 when Leo hadn't undergone mutations and the thing would have just killed him. It's pretty much the strongest potion there is.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The same reason in TW1 that Order Knight's sister got turned into a bruxa even though vampires are a different species and not transformed/undead humans.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'll never play Witcher 1 again until they fix these plot holes.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Men can't have time and space powers from elder blood genes.

Salamanders can't melt steel beams.

MotorCityBadBoy
Nov 15, 2015

The Sharmat posted:

It makes it all the more sweeter though when you go to Skellige without doing her requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The fact that they actually planned for that contingency makes me mourn what could have been in regards to the leveling and progression system even more.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 24, 2015