Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
If someone's taking mod requests, I'd love it if you could take the mining helmet's lamp function and copy it over to the combat helmet, which has a camera/lamp/sensor thing in the model already. Not sure what it's supposed to be since it seems to have no game function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Did the save game cleaner for Skyrim uncorrupt peoples' saves? I'd assume one will be coming for Fallout 4 but I'm a few hours into a recorded run and I'd prefer not retracing my steps but will if it means I won't find myself hosed after 60 hours or whatever.

How can I see what other mods are using dirty edits? Right now I'm using Easy Hacking and Darker Nights, Create Your Own Survival Rebalance and no other ESP mods.

I should've known better than to get on these early day dirty edit shits but I can't help it man I need my MODS

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 23, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

FadedReality posted:

Did the save game cleaner for Skyrim uncorrupt peoples' saves? I'd assume one will be coming for Fallout 4 but I'm a few hours into a recorded run and I'd prefer not retracing my steps but will if it means I won't find myself hosed after 60 hours or whatever.

How can I see what other mods are using dirty edits? Right now I'm using Easy Hacking and Darker Nights, Create Your Own Survival Rebalance and no other ESP mods.

I should've known better than to get on these early day dirty edit shits but I can't help it man I need my MODS

If you've used dirty mods (and there really aren't that many of them, I only know of three - ballistic weave, more armor slots [there's a combined version of these two], and any mod that increases weapon damage with xsnip, which is all of them so far), for less than 5 hours, I'd advise going back. More than that... ehhhhhh.

But the tools used now are safer. Thank God I had made manual hex edits though, glad I don't have to redo all my mods.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
can someone make a mod that replaces the power armor UI with the DOOM ui, bonus points if all guns are 2d shotguns with the same sound effect from doom. also the music.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Is there a nightvision optional upgrade for the power armour helmet? Because if not that's loving stupid.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Is there a nightvision optional upgrade for the power armour helmet? Because if not that's loving stupid.

There is not and yes it sucks and I dont doubt it will be modded in as soon as possible, as it is you can get a perk that lets you have nightvision while sneaking.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Capn Beeb posted:

I just want my dog hat and face paint/scars/eyes from Skyrim.

That's a face of a Psycho Jet fan is there ever was one :q:

Need this option

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

The Iron Rose posted:

If you've used dirty mods (and there really aren't that many of them, I only know of three - ballistic weave, more armor slots [there's a combined version of these two], and any mod that increases weapon damage with xsnip, which is all of them so far), for less than 5 hours, I'd advise going back. More than that... ehhhhhh.

But the tools used now are safer. Thank God I had made manual hex edits though, glad I don't have to redo all my mods.

Yeah gently caress rolling the dice I'm grabbing one of those saves that starts you at the Vault 111 exit and doing it over.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

The Iron Rose posted:

On a related note, I'm branching out, would like to make a weapon rebalance. Just focusing on damage right now (not yet ranged), what weapons would you change, and how? What would you make stronger, weaker?
Echoing the .50 cal sniper needs more power. Its okay but a stealth headshot from it should kill anything but the most badass enemies. It should really be armor piercing too but :shrug:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Azhais posted:

Need this option

This is also good.

Sonofsilversign posted:

Echoing the .50 cal sniper needs more power. Its okay but a stealth headshot from it should kill anything but the most badass enemies. It should really be armor piercing too but :shrug:

I wish you could convert the minigun to fire .50. poo poo, the three barrel slow spin upgrade is modeled after a .50BMG minigun.

At least then maybe I'd use the loving thing.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

This is also good.

I wish you could convert the minigun to fire .50. poo poo, the three barrel slow spin upgrade is modeled after a .50BMG minigun.

At least then maybe I'd use the loving thing.

30mm or get out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Iron Rose posted:

For a working alternative :siren: for the ballistic weave mod as well, use the following:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2228/

combines the two and doesn't contain dirty edits.

This should be reflected in the OP ASAP

How do I get this to work? I tried adding the .esp to my data folder but it says I need to enable the mod in the Fallout 4 launcher and I have no idea how to do that.

I'm really bad with mods.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

How do I get this to work? I tried adding the .esp to my data folder but it says I need to enable the mod in the Fallout 4 launcher and I have no idea how to do that.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1920/

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

use nexus mod manager

this is a bad idea for organization purposes.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I restarted once as I got to about lv 20 having ignored the armor and weapon benches. I regretted that and decided to pay a little more attention to my perks.

now it looks like another restart is in order. ugh.
Well, at least I have SSEx now, so I can be a little more crazy with my settlement.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

staberind posted:

I restarted once as I got to about lv 20 having ignored the armor and weapon benches. I regretted that and decided to pay a little more attention to my perks.

Well, at least I have SSEx now, so I can be a little more crazy with my settlement.
Just use a [spoiler]savegame editor or console commands if you need to change things around.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The Iron Rose posted:

this is a bad idea for organization purposes.

Better than having NMM auto-update and gently caress everything up, IMO. If he just wants to activate that one mod there's no need to add more layers, especially garbage like that.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Since the way the weapon components work and how bad the weapon balance is bothers the gently caress out of me, I have a set of overhauls that are dependent on the amount of difficulty it would take to implement the changes when the GECK arrives. So here's an excerpt of a bunch of :spergin: from my sheets of paper because I have autism

This is not a comprehensive list of things I plan to do, but these are the ones that seem easiest to implement (feel free to steal this list because the permissions diarrhea has ruined the Elder Scrolls mod community for years to come :nexus:)

-It makes no sense for a reciever to magically increase bullet damage. Alternatively, it makes no loving sense for a longer barrel to give more accuracy (in some cases it actually reduces accuracy due to hosed twist rate coming out of the barrel, which is the actual factor blah blah blah.)
--Long and short of it is, recievers will instead affect recoil (buffered reciever), rate of fire (polymer reciever), and advanced recievers will have the aforementioned plus bonuses, and length of barrels will affect damage and range instead of accuracy and range (the QUALITY of barrel will affect accuracy.)

-10mm Pistols to be rechamberable to .38, .45, and .44 (ROF reduced, no automatic reciever)
-Magazine-loaded Pipe Guns to be rechamberable to .45, 10mm, 5.56, and 5mm, with the default remaining .38
-Pipe Bolt-Action Rifle to be rechamberable to .308, .44, .50, with the default changed to 5.56mm. Goodbye .38 piece of poo poo.
-Hunting Rifles to be rechamberable to 5.56(ROF bonus), .44, .50, with the default remaining .308
-Semi-Auto Carbines to be rechamberable to 5mm and .308, with the default changed to 5.56mm
-Submachine Guns to be rechamberable to .38 and 10mm, with the default remaining .45.
-Pipe Revolvers to be rechamberable to .38, .308, and .44 :w00t: with the default remaining .45
-.44 Revolvers to be rechamberable to .308 and .50 (ROF severely reduced) :unsmigghh:
-Rechambering requirements reduced to level 2 of Gun Nut and will have their own buffered/polymer/advanced recievers.

-Deliverer Pistol default caliber changed to .38 and base damage reduced accordingly
--You will be able to rechamber it to 10mm or .45 though.

-Pipe Bolt-Action Rifle will be rechambered to 5.56mm, due to how stupidly common that ammo is early on yet you don't get a weapon with that ammo type until halfway into the game for some reason.
--You can still rechamber it to .308 if you by any chance will miss it, don't worry.

-Hunting Rifle base damage substantially increased.

-Shotgun spreads cut to 1/3 of what they currently are. If for some reason you want the absurd spread, there's the sawed-off barrel for that.

-Combat Rifle will be rechambered to 5.56mm because hahahah holy gently caress are you kidding .45 acp on that mag holy poo poo bethesda do you know what guns even are
--Combat Rifle base name changed to "Semi-Auto Carbine"
--The "main name" pool will be changed to "Semi-Auto(default)" "Assault(auto, not-.308)" "Battle(.308)" "Carbine(short barrel)" "Rifle(long barrel)"

-Assault Rifle will always be fully automatic on default
--Assault Rifle base name changed to "Machine Gun"
--"main name" pool changed to "Light (5.56/5mm)", "Medium(.308)", "Heavy(.50)" "Machine Gun"
---yes, I want to make a .50 caliber reciever for this gun :unsmigghh:

-Revolvers and bolt action weapons will have their rate of fire dramatically increased because holy poo poo are you kidding me a .44 shot every 1.5 seconds and a bolt action shot every 3 seconds

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
going back ~14 hours of gametime to replace more armour slots with armoursmith extended.

Not that upset by it, I've been doing mostly side stuff rather than main quest progression and I figure using mods this early with no official tools you should almost expect that things can go wrong.

Is Craftable Ammo (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/798/) likely to have the same problems due to also being made with snip?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

staberind posted:

I probably shoulda mentioned but you may not want to use SSEx yet. It's made with a combination of FalloutSnip and FO4Edit, and edits a few default forms. It looks okay, but it's had a bunch of problems previously with save corruption. It, along with the Deadly Weapons mod, were the two major examples.

Apparently it's fixed now though. I'll wait another couple days myself.

Solemn Sloth posted:

going back ~14 hours of gametime to replace more armour slots with armoursmith extended.

Not that upset by it, I've been doing mostly side stuff rather than main quest progression and I figure using mods this early with no official tools you should almost expect that things can go wrong.

Is Craftable Ammo (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/798/) likely to have the same problems due to also being made with snip?

Not all mods made with xsnip are dangerous, the only problem is that xSnip deletes bytes it doesn't recognize, and that means that default subrecords can be overwritten with null values despite not changing anything.

Fortunately, craftable ammo adds records instead of changing them, which means there's no problem at all. Or at least there shouldn't be.

So, tl;dr:

Mods that alter default forms/records using xSnip can be and most likely are dangerous. Mods that add forms/records using xSnip shouldn't be dangerous. Mods using only FO4edit are safe.

SplitSoul posted:

Better than having NMM auto-update and gently caress everything up, IMO. If he just wants to activate that one mod there's no need to add more layers, especially garbage like that.

Fair enough.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Guess we'll see how far I make it before my main character saves are corrupted lol

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy
I really wish we didn't have to wait for the GECK to change the handgrip on all the pipe rifles except for the revolver rifle to actually use the pistol grip on the stock, in third-person it's fine, in first it's loving terrible.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Someone explain what dirty edit mods are and how to avoid them. I haven't run into any crashes or save corruption so far and I'd like to keep it that way.

Load times and textures taking ages to sharpen still terrible though. I get horrible performance in places without the texture optimization mod, but it has really serious collateral damage. Load times sometimes go up to 5 minutes and textures can need several minutes to reach their actual max resolution with the mod.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I swear this will be my first and last mod request, and only requesting because I honestly can't believe it's not a thing yet: multiple companions.

Thank you modding overlords!

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Party Plane Jones posted:

edit: Also not having a semi-auto sniper rifle is killing me.

Combat rifles do damage comparable to hunting rifles, and can be modified with scopes, suppressors and marksman stocks.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I know, but I loved shooting .50 snipers in New Vegas and offing death claws with a single shot.

Also, .50 is criminally underused and switching a sniper to that doesn't really increase damage much. You're still outclassed by the .44 revolver by a good 20 points at max perks/modifiers.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Since the way the weapon components work and how bad the weapon balance is bothers the gently caress out of me, I have a set of overhauls that are dependent on the amount of difficulty it would take to implement the changes when the GECK arrives. So here's an excerpt of a bunch of :spergin: from my sheets of paper because I have autism

This is not a comprehensive list of things I plan to do, but these are the ones that seem easiest to implement (feel free to steal this list because the permissions diarrhea has ruined the Elder Scrolls mod community for years to come :nexus:)

-It makes no sense for a reciever to magically increase bullet damage. Alternatively, it makes no loving sense for a longer barrel to give more accuracy (in some cases it actually reduces accuracy due to hosed twist rate coming out of the barrel, which is the actual factor blah blah blah.)
--Long and short of it is, recievers will instead affect recoil (buffered reciever), rate of fire (polymer reciever), and advanced recievers will have the aforementioned plus bonuses, and length of barrels will affect damage and range instead of accuracy and range (the QUALITY of barrel will affect accuracy.)

-10mm Pistols to be rechamberable to .38, .45, and .44 (ROF reduced, no automatic reciever)
-Magazine-loaded Pipe Guns to be rechamberable to .45, 10mm, 5.56, and 5mm, with the default remaining .38
-Pipe Bolt-Action Rifle to be rechamberable to .308, .44, .50, with the default changed to 5.56mm. Goodbye .38 piece of poo poo.
-Hunting Rifles to be rechamberable to 5.56(ROF bonus), .44, .50, with the default remaining .308
-Semi-Auto Carbines to be rechamberable to 5mm and .308, with the default changed to 5.56mm
-Submachine Guns to be rechamberable to .38 and 10mm, with the default remaining .45.
-Pipe Revolvers to be rechamberable to .38, .308, and .44 :w00t: with the default remaining .45
-.44 Revolvers to be rechamberable to .308 and .50 (ROF severely reduced) :unsmigghh:
-Rechambering requirements reduced to level 2 of Gun Nut and will have their own buffered/polymer/advanced recievers.

-Deliverer Pistol default caliber changed to .38 and base damage reduced accordingly
--You will be able to rechamber it to 10mm or .45 though.

-Pipe Bolt-Action Rifle will be rechambered to 5.56mm, due to how stupidly common that ammo is early on yet you don't get a weapon with that ammo type until halfway into the game for some reason.
--You can still rechamber it to .308 if you by any chance will miss it, don't worry.

-Hunting Rifle base damage substantially increased.

-Shotgun spreads cut to 1/3 of what they currently are. If for some reason you want the absurd spread, there's the sawed-off barrel for that.

-Combat Rifle will be rechambered to 5.56mm because hahahah holy gently caress are you kidding .45 acp on that mag holy poo poo bethesda do you know what guns even are
--Combat Rifle base name changed to "Semi-Auto Carbine"
--The "main name" pool will be changed to "Semi-Auto(default)" "Assault(auto, not-.308)" "Battle(.308)" "Carbine(short barrel)" "Rifle(long barrel)"

-Assault Rifle will always be fully automatic on default
--Assault Rifle base name changed to "Machine Gun"
--"main name" pool changed to "Light (5.56/5mm)", "Medium(.308)", "Heavy(.50)" "Machine Gun"
---yes, I want to make a .50 caliber reciever for this gun :unsmigghh:

-Revolvers and bolt action weapons will have their rate of fire dramatically increased because holy poo poo are you kidding me a .44 shot every 1.5 seconds and a bolt action shot every 3 seconds

I endorse this post.

Thanks to people pointing out dangerous mods. I've been playing with SSEx and more armor for like 15 hours so its probably too late for my save file but some might yet be saved.

SSEx 1.8 is awesome btw. Covenant concrete and metal walls with walkways :hellyeah:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Someone explain what dirty edit mods are and how to avoid them. I haven't run into any crashes or save corruption so far and I'd like to keep it that way.

The engine manages everything in the form of records, so every NPC and object you see in-game has an associated ID. A plugin will say 'here is a new record with an ID of xx000ABC, it has these values', or 'change the values of existing record xx000XYZ to these values'.

A dirty mod will change things that it has no reason to change, sometimes even conflicting with mods that are deliberately changing the same value for a good reason. It became standard practice to use third-party tools to 'clean' plugins of unnecessary edits, because the official modding tools have a tendency to bundle default values even if you didn't touch them.

Normally a dirty mod is not a big deal because they're changing things back to default values or otherwise 'safe' values (e.g. careless modder moves a table by accident, not a problem unless another mod tries to move the same table). The current crop of dirty mods are slightly more dangerous because they're making changes that are not fully understood due to the lack of official tools and while the game engine is accepting those changes without any complaints, it's also lacking any sanity checking the official tools would have provided. The mods in question are straight up deleting data, and nobody knows why that data is there to begin with; they may be necessary for the game to function correctly. The same thing happened with Skyrim, and the result was game instability.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Sonofsilversign posted:

I endorse this post.

Thanks to people pointing out dangerous mods. I've been playing with SSEx and more armor for like 15 hours so its probably too late for my save file but some might yet be saved.

SSEx 1.8 is awesome btw. Covenant concrete and metal walls with walkways :hellyeah:

Ill take a look at it.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

heads up: millenia released a retexture for the double barrel shotgun
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2211/

(why the hell are all my guns vibrating in TFC mode also what the heck is that cross-hatching)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm at like 80+ hours and I basically added in the More Armor mod as soon as it was released, so starting over really isn't an option. Guess I'll rush to see the poo poo ending. What would be more stable, keeping this jank mod going or switching to the new safe one? I know neither option is particularly safe, but I want to see if I can keep this savefile alive until I beat the game. Then again since I've been using the mod for like 40 hours now it's probably going to hold on until I can finish the game off.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm at like 80+ hours and I basically added in the More Armor mod as soon as it was released, so starting over really isn't an option. Guess I'll rush to see the poo poo ending. What would be more stable, keeping this jank mod going or switching to the new safe one? I know neither option is particularly safe, but I want to see if I can keep this savefile alive until I beat the game. Then again since I've been using the mod for like 40 hours now it's probably going to hold on until I can finish the game off.

I should note that save corruption won't instantly and horribly destroy your save. All I can say is stop using the mod as soon as possible. It's not like there are orphan scripts, so theoretically you should be fine so long as you're not actually uh, using it.

But I wasn't around when this exact problem happened for Skyrim mind you, so I don't know exactly what the effects can extend to.

As an example, that the early version of of SSEx broke 126 different doors in game when it overwrote the default form.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2228/

Is this bad for gamesaves?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fereydun posted:

heads up: millenia released a retexture for the double barrel shotgun
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2211/

(why the hell are all my guns vibrating in TFC mode also what the heck is that cross-hatching)

It begins :getin:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

N
It was made in Fo4edit it's fine

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From 4chan: Someone managed to port a functioning version of the previous games' Chinese Assault Rifle into FO4. Very impressive without the creation kit. Note that it has a number of, uh, issues, but it does work as a weapon over top of whatever they replaced with it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

A mod that eliminates getting into and out of power armor, as well as the delays at the armor/weapons crafting station so that you click and are instantly in crafting mode and click again and are instantly out would own.

Not a request. Just dreaming :(

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

how does this look as a first balance pass?

Mind you, I can change magazine sizes as well, though that's untested for nwo:

http://pastebin.com/iY6byBww

This is mostly just editing damage values right now since that's simple, easy changes to make in FO4edit. More serious changes will take more research.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 24, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

CJacobs posted:

From 4chan: Someone managed to port a functioning version of the previous games' Chinese Assault Rifle into FO4. Very impressive without the creation kit. Note that it has a number of, uh, issues, but it does work as a weapon over top of whatever they replaced with it.
that's neat- i wonder if it's different from this guy who ported in stuff from skyrim:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/2540/

there's something i'm curious about though: do weapons have firing animations in fo4?
every time i've looked it seems like weapons don't actually animate when you fire them- pistols don't have their slide pull back, the bolts on rifles don't move, your guy even doesn't have a recoil animation- it's just your cursor that's moving
does the game even support third persson weapon anims?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

LumberingTroll posted:

Ill take a look at it.

While your at it touch of green should really be in the op if its not already. Its easily my favorite of the early mods.

(id link it but im pp sorry)

• Locked thread