Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

I was in ATL last year and happened to be walking behind a group of fresh out of bootcamp guys talking amongst themselves trying to come up with the least awkward way to respond to all the people patting them on the back, cheering, or thanking them. By the time they got to the end of the terminal I think they just wished they didn't have to travel wearing their uniforms so people would leave them alone.

but you might get lots of perks wearing that uniform like free upgrades or extra bag space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Ah, the one thing I forgot about being tied into frequent business travel is the people who give their upgrades to military people. It's fine that they do that, but boy they'd never shut the gently caress up about it. If you think the stereotype of vegans and their self-congratulations is bad, meet one of these fuckers.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

Ah, the one thing I forgot about being tied into frequent business travel is the people who give their upgrades to military people. It's fine that they do that, but boy they'd never shut the gently caress up about it. If you think the stereotype of vegans and their self-congratulations is bad, meet one of these fuckers.

Oh god I know 2 of those, and one is a cross-fitter. I'd rather deal with the "do you know who I am" type of traveler.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I do that occasionally but this is literally the first time I have ever told anyone about it other than the gate agent.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:stare: what route and exactly how much of a bath are they taking on that flight

But of course it's:

It was dxb to mle, at first I thought maybe they were doing a lot of cargo but the holds looked empty too. The way back is more full, but still surprising they aren't using their smallest A330 or something.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about Open and Fair Skies?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Still should use an a330 and shove that 773 into Orlando or Las Vegas or whatever bullshit us market doesn't need it

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Would the Admirals Club at ORD be willing (or able) to change a TV to the Michigan-OSU game this Saturday or are those screens permanently set to CNN/weather? I'd prefer to not have to hold down a spot at an airport restaurant for 3+ hours.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would be very surprised if they weren't already showing that game. Boston sky club always has sox/pats/Bruins/Celtics on one of the TVs by the bar.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Blinkman987 posted:

Never seen an upgrade given to a troop at united. I'm more comfortable not being subjected to out pourings of nationalism on my flights.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
poo poo my suit is all wrinkled up in the suit bag. No time for dry clean. Only thing I can think of is putting it in the shower and soaking some steam.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That works tolerably well as does hitting it with an iron carefully.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Holy poo poo some of you guys are some jaded assholes. I've upgraded service members from time to time; I figure it's the least I can do for people who are willing to fight on my behalf (regardless of whether or not that fight makes sense). I'm also not a jerk about it and try to point out that I'm somehow better than others because of it. If you don't want to do that, no big deal, but don't call other people lovely for doing it unless they're actually doing something lovely.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

caberham posted:

poo poo my suit is all wrinkled up in the suit bag. No time for dry clean. Only thing I can think of is putting it in the shower and soaking some steam.

That plus a light ironing usually takes care of most wrinkles and stuff.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mackieman posted:

Holy poo poo some of you guys are some jaded assholes. I've upgraded service members from time to time; I figure it's the least I can do for people who are willing to fight on my behalf (regardless of whether or not that fight makes sense). I'm also not a jerk about it and try to point out that I'm somehow better than others because of it. If you don't want to do that, no big deal, but don't call other people lovely for doing it unless they're actually doing something lovely.

I wasn't knocking anyone for doing it. Its the people that have to loudly brag about it to literally everyone about how good of a person that makes them that we are bitching about.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Mackieman posted:

Holy poo poo some of you guys are some jaded assholes.
I don't like what we are doing to those kids. I think the corporate promo videos and cheerleading "Our Heroes" is a sick, cynical joke.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're still the worst no matter your justification for being so.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My apologies for not posting the previous post in proper business attire

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

DJCobol posted:

I wasn't knocking anyone for doing it. Its the people that have to loudly brag about it to literally everyone about how good of a person that makes them that we are bitching about.

Sure, that's fair. That sort of horseshit is the same as the jerks who derive self-worth from the status they have with the airline.

sellouts posted:

My apologies for not posting the previous post in proper business attire

I left my top hat at home. :(

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

sellouts posted:

You're still the worst no matter your justification for being so.

gawrsh

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
People say social media taught us to never do anything embarrassing online because it'll be saved forever, and we are always defined by our worst moment. I say that internet forums taught us that long ago.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I don't think I've seen a service member board my delta flight in a long long time.

The last time was a guy I sat next to in economy for a 15 hour flight. I taught him how we could have as much beer as we wanted for free. We made an empty beer can pyramid together.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
How does corporate travel expenses typically work for most of you. Does the company reimburse your expenses, hence you getting status and points for flights /hotels on the business dime... Or do most pay for your tickets outright through the corporate credit card so to speak?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Untagged posted:

How does corporate travel expenses typically work for most of you. Does the company reimburse your expenses, hence you getting status and points for flights /hotels on the business dime... Or do most pay for your tickets outright through the corporate credit card so to speak?

Even if you pay on a company card you can earn the program credit; airlines and hotels don't care where the money comes from. Your employer may have policies against you accruing benefits to a personal account, in which case I recommend getting a job somewhere that sucks less.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I use a company hired travel company to book flights and sometimes hotels, and I don't even use a credit card (it gets settled within the corporate account that I don't even see), but still get points. Midjack is right, if the company doesn't even allow you to accrue points its not a good situation.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Untagged posted:

I get to pay with my own credit cards and get reimbursed, he'll yeah double dipping.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware you can still accrue points if you are not the one who technically pays for the bill. I've been eye-balling a job that involves a fair amount of travel, but the company pays for all of it. I was worried I wouldn't get all the sweet points and status upgrades. Have to check and see if they allow employees to transfer the points to a personal account.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Untagged posted:

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware you can still accrue points if you are not the one who technically pays for the bill. I've been eye-balling a job that involves a fair amount of travel, but the company pays for all of it. I was worried I wouldn't get all the sweet points and status upgrades. Have to check and see if they allow employees to transfer the points to a personal account.

No transfer to it, you'll get them directly. If you make your own reservations give the hotel, airline, or rental car place your program number when you make the reservation. If you have a travel agent give them your program numbers and they'll get them on the reservation for you.

You probably won't have a policy that prohibits getting credit for your travel; it was more of an 80s and early 90s thing when some companies treated them like cash.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Depends on your employer. I am frequently (but not always) told "no points" by hotels because of the negotiated discounted rates my agency pays. Hilton is the worst offender, I had about an 8 week stay they refused to even give me nights credit for.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Untagged posted:

Corporate card for everything except plane tickets which bill directly to our corporate accounts with the airlines. So I get hotel, airline, and rental car points but no double dipping with the actual spend. My frequent traveler numbers are attached to my profile in Conqur and are automatically included in my reservations.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 29, 2015

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Barry posted:

I get to pay with my own credit cards and get reimbursed, he'll yeah double dipping.

Same. We have guidelines for flights, rental cars, and daily rate for hotels and meals, but those are flexible depending on where we are that week. I pay for everything with my own credit card, and I am reimbursed usually within a week.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Thoguh posted:

Corporate card for everything except plane tickets which bill directly to our corporate accounts with the airlines. So I get hotel, airline, and rental car points but no double dipping with the actual spend. My frequent traveler numbers are attached to my profile in Conqur and are automatically included in my reservations.

See I use the corporate Amex for everything, but I also personally pay the 95$ a year for the rewards program so I get the air miles and hotel points and also all the amex points. Got an ipad from them !

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Well, I did it:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is that current balance or total flown miles?

If the former - son you need to spend them things
If the latter - congrats (I guess?)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is that current balance or total flown miles?

If the former - son you need to spend them things
If the latter - congrats (I guess?)

Current balance. I have about 700,000 rear end-in-seat miles.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They aren't going to appreciate in value, you know?

Zeroing my one world balance was remarkably liberating a few years ago.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just came back from an eventful MNL-HKG-LHR-CPH flight on Cathay. The first segment had a mothertrucking 777-300 which blew my mind. The last segment had us landing in the worst storm of the year.

Now, on the short-haul 777 they had a weird concept: there was a padded... thing, about the size of your wrist, attached to the left side of the seat belts. What are those?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Airbag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane_airbags

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sellouts posted:

They aren't going to appreciate in value, you know?

Zeroing my one world balance was remarkably liberating a few years ago.

Yeah I am aggressively trying to cut my balance - keep about 150k in reserve for weddings/events emergency but the days of keeping a half mil on hand are over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Midjack posted:

Current balance. I have about 700,000 rear end-in-seat miles.

If you need help with those, let me know. I have an award booking to SCL coming up soon. :cool: