Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

cheetah7071 posted:

My understanding is this is the best way to do it:

start with 4 stacks
heavy swing
berserk
fell cleave
combo x 2
combo x 3 (back at 4 stacks)
raw intuition/vengeance
fell cleave
infuriate
fell cleave
fracture

This requires you to have a decent chunk of skill speed, but you should be aiming for the 9-hit berserk breakpoint anyways.

Remember, this is a much more ideal form of the fell cleave combo where you can assume that you have the opportunity to do any of this. Even just getting two berserk fell cleaves is a ridiculous amount of burst that ain't nothing to squawk at.

e: worrying about attribute break points in this game is a really, really good way to start hating the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think it's quite evident that the next patch's MSQ will be quite Ul'dah-focused, with the Yda and Papalymo stinger.

I assumed that was supposed to be a hint for 4.0 and Ala Migho liberation.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

paladin rules
eat poo poo

love,

paladin

ps: dork knight lol

I'm sorry Elementary school was a traumatic experience for you, but it's ok law enforcement is a lucrative career choice.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Thanks icam.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

Remember, this is a much more ideal form of the fell cleave combo where you can assume that you have the opportunity to do any of this. Even just getting two berserk fell cleaves is a ridiculous amount of burst that ain't nothing to squawk at.

e: worrying about attribute break points in this game is a really, really good way to start hating the game.

Yeah, that's why I do mine the way I do it (4 stacks the hard way, berserk, cleave, infuriate, cleave, intuition & vengeance, 3 more stacks the hard way, cleave again). My logic being that even if it isn't perfect dps it at least gives me an almost guaranteed chance of pulling off a double berserk cleave without getting interrupted by mechanics, and gives me a solid chance to quickly get to the third before something goes wrong. Perhaps it isn't optimal necessarily, but it's safer.

Even if I do gently caress it up, I'm slightly more baller than the tanks who don't try it at all I guess.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ainsley McTree posted:

Unless it's to try out warrior, I assume you mean.

Speaking of, I've been trying out warrior myself and now that I finally have it up to 54 I need to learn how to triple fell cleave so I can max out my Tomes Per Second

Here's what I've been doing, tell me if I'm dumb and doing it wrong:

Start in Defiance, build up 4 stacks of wrath the slow way
Berserk, switch to Deliverance
Cleave
Infuriate
Cleave
Vengeance (and later, raw intuition when I get it), build up to 5 stacks again
Cleave
Back to Defiance

Is that pretty much it? I mean...it's been working, and I haven't been dying, so I guess it must be fine, but I'm wondering if there's a better way that people are talking about when they talk about triple fell cleaving. Mustn't look incompetent in front of the pubbies

Some combination of:

4 stacks hard way. Maybe Bloodbath oGCD
Internal release oGCD
Heavy Swing
Berserk oGCD
Cleave
Infuriate
Cleave
Three stacks the hard way while weaving in Raw Intuition and Vengeance as oGCDs.
Cleave
Fracture
Crash

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 24, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So have they changed the crazy good classes in pvp or is it still basically warrior/summoner?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that triple fell cleave is good for burn phases or at the start of a fight when all your cooldowns are up, but you don't want to be delaying cooldowns just for the sake of the triple fell cleave. Infuriate is a 60s cooldown and berserk is 90s; you need both for a triple fell cleave.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Some combination of:

4 stacks hard way. Maybe Bloodbath oGCD
Internal release oGCD
Heavy Swing
Berserk oGCD
Cleave
Infuriate
Cleave
Three stacks the hard way while weaving in Raw Intuition and Vengeance as oGCDs.
Cleave
Fracture
Crash

That makes sense. I was overlooking the "heavy swing before berserk so you can go right into the stack-building again" part.

Fister Roboto posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that triple fell cleave is good for burn phases or at the start of a fight when all your cooldowns are up, but you don't want to be delaying cooldowns just for the sake of the triple fell cleave. Infuriate is a 60s cooldown and berserk is 90s; you need both for a triple fell cleave.

That makes sense too. Thanks.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Boten Anna posted:

I'm sorry Elementary school was a traumatic experience for you, but it's ok law enforcement is a lucrative career choice.

rude

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nuru posted:

International Hotels do get a pass in many major areas, yes. But my point was more that US services like Netflix and Hulu will say you cannot access them from outside the US, and the socks proxy gets around it easily whereas VPNs tend to go to services they blacklist.

That's pretty funny, the one hotel I stayed in in Shenzhen was like 30 stories and the wi-fi password was the name of the hotel so god only knows how many natives were hijacking that poo poo

the TV was crazy weird out there too, one night I turned on the hotel TV and one of the channels was playing a low-bitrate web stream of Afro Samurai with Chinese subtitles, like you could see the navigation/info bar at the bottom of the screen and everything

China was loving awesome I think is what I'm getting at

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I RP as an ice mage

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

what the poo poo

why

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

vOv posted:

what the poo poo

why

https://dd.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3u0mwl/ice_mage_dps_test/

This is a humor post. DON'T DO THIS.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I don't have a parser so I'm not sure what average numbers are but that's way above average isn't it

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

The 700's are a bit low.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Line Feed posted:

The 700's are a bit low.

And yet seemingly above average for dungeon finder DPS. This just proves that its people not pushing buttons every 3 seconds.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I just got 780 DPS as an ice mage compared to 1268 DPS with my real rotation (i193 with i200 weapon). Comparing that to pubs is kinda hard because most fights aren't target dummies, but I think an 'average' pub would pull something like 900-1000 on a target dummy? Or maybe I'm wrong.

vOv fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 24, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Putting subjective enjoyment of the current available content aside, there hasn't been a single innovation to the overall structure of trials/raids/dungeons since we finished the HM primals during 2.0 over 2 years ago.

I'm not saying this stuff isn't fun, but here is all we have so far:

1 - Dungeon: teleport to dungeon, run through hallway, fight x # of bosses, kill trash on the way.

2 - Trial: teleport to circle, fight boss while dodging mechanics, get loot.

3 - Raid/24-man: (sometimes) kill meaningless trash in a hallway, get to circle/square with boss, dodge mechanics, get loot.

4 - Quests: talk to NPC, collect/kill 3-5 of something.

5 - Hunts/Diadem: zerg to kill a mob, ignore mechanics, grind indefinitely.

I know everyone's sick of comparisons to FFXI (it's a different game), but the fact is that it makes up a large chunk of MMO experience for a lot of people that play FFXIV, and there was a hell of a lot more content variety 2 years into the game's release than there is in FFXIV. I won't go into the details of how each piece of content was unique, but there was a lot of stuff you could actually do as a guild(see Sky/Dynamis where you actually had to coordinate as a large alliance to get things done).

We haven't had a single "game type" that is fundamentally different from something in the past. There hasn't been anything that has required the coordination of 20-30 people in an FC, which have been boiled down to essentially chat rooms for friends with no significance beyond the airship and EXP bonuses. There is no inter-raid group content, and there is nothing you can do as a large group of friends that couldn't be accomplished just as easily by an uncoordinated mess of 60 strangers. This has resulted in friend silos, with their own LS/voice channels and a feeling of strong disconnect in the community outside of your circle of friends.

I had really high hopes airship was going to be this type of large scale content. Something you could spend all night in with 20-30 people from your FC, spreading out to tackle objectives and meeting again to tackle hard "HNMs." Instead we got instanced hunts.

tl;dr So my question is, do you think it's the small dev team, the limited engine, or something else that is preventing this game from seeing any innovation in the content released? After 7(?) content patches, and an expansion, there hasn't been a single content addition that has been fundamentally different from the content that came with the game.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Someone is gonna justify themselves with this, kill them now

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Putting subjective enjoyment of the current available content aside, there hasn't been a single innovation to the overall structure of trials/raids/dungeons since we finished the HM primals during 2.0 over 2 years ago.

I'm not saying this stuff isn't fun, but here is all we have so far:

1 - Dungeon: teleport to dungeon, run through hallway, fight x # of bosses, kill trash on the way.

2 - Trial: teleport to circle, fight boss while dodging mechanics, get loot.

3 - Raid/24-man: (sometimes) kill meaningless trash in a hallway, get to circle/square with boss, dodge mechanics, get loot.

4 - Quests: talk to NPC, collect/kill 3-5 of something.

5 - Hunts/Diadem: zerg to kill a mob, ignore mechanics, grind indefinitely.

I know everyone's sick of comparisons to FFXI (it's a different game), but the fact is that it makes up a large chunk of MMO experience for a lot of people that play FFXIV, and there was a hell of a lot more content variety 2 years into the game's release than there is in FFXIV. I won't go into the details of how each piece of content was unique, but there was a lot of stuff you could actually do as a guild(see Sky/Dynamis where you actually had to coordinate as a large alliance to get things done).

We haven't had a single "game type" that is fundamentally different from something in the past. There hasn't been anything that has required the coordination of 20-30 people in an FC, which have been boiled down to essentially chat rooms for friends with no significance beyond the airship and EXP bonuses. There is no inter-raid group content, and there is nothing you can do as a large group of friends that couldn't be accomplished just as easily by an uncoordinated mess of 60 strangers. This has resulted in friend silos, with their own LS/voice channels and a feeling of strong disconnect in the community outside of your circle of friends.

I had really high hopes airship was going to be this type of large scale content. Something you could spend all night in with 20-30 people from your FC, spreading out to tackle objectives and meeting again to tackle hard "HNMs." Instead we got instanced hunts.

tl;dr So my question is, do you think it's the small dev team, the limited engine, or something else that is preventing this game from seeing any innovation in the content released? After 7(?) content patches, and an expansion, there hasn't been a single content addition that has been fundamentally different from the content that came with the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3tyrsw/is_the_dev_team_too_small_is_the_game_engine/

cite your sources

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
on an unrelated note, the diadem and exploratory missions seem really neat

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm actually surprised you can hit 700 dps as an "ice mage" and it's extra sad that I've seen way worse than that in exdr.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Diadem is dumb

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

ilifinicus posted:

Diadem is dumb

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

Diadem is dumb

Diadumb.

Chinese Batman
Jun 28, 2008

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

Diadem is dumb

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm trying to imagine how you stand while licking someone's thigh.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

vOv posted:

Lalafells

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

vOv posted:

Lalafel to someone normal size, I'm guessing.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

Diadem is dumb

Belzac posted:

ilifinicus posted:

Diadem is dumb

KaneTW posted:

ilifinicus posted:

Diadem is dumb

Hahahahaha

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

Diadem is dumb

:agreed:

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Diadem is great

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Loot in this game is pretty boring and having it be randomized and obtained from boring rear end grinds does not make it more fun but it probably makes it less fun

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ainsley McTree posted:

That makes sense. I was overlooking the "heavy swing before berserk so you can go right into the stack-building again" part.

You can Internal Release and Berserk in the same GCD and you should avoid getting in the habit of using Vengeance as part of the rotation because there are lots of fights where you have to switch to tanking something in between combos and it's nice/required to have Vengeance available.

Also if you have the skillspeed/haste always Fracture before your last Fell Cleave or else you lose out on 10% crit on it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
For MCH AoE trash mobs, what's the best strategy? Using grenado shot drains your TP like crazy, whereas spread shot isn't so bad. I generally throw out the bishop turret, then after a little while replace it with rook and use promote for a TP gain after using spread and grenado (after a hot shot), but I bet I can do a little better here.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eej posted:

Also if you have the skillspeed/haste always Fracture before your last Fell Cleave or else you lose out on 10% crit on it.

You need a lot of skill speed or a scholar with Selene or an astro giving you the arrow to do this reliably. Whenever I try to do this without any of those things, my berserk wears off right before I hit the last fell cleave. A fracture with +10% crit is not worth the risk of missing out on a berserked fell cleave.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Touchfuzzy posted:

Hahahahaha

Diadem is dumb because it requires me to do boring rear end content for an expected time of literally thousands of hours if I want to get BIS.

gently caress that with a chainsaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

seiferguy posted:

For MCH AoE trash mobs, what's the best strategy? Using grenado shot drains your TP like crazy, whereas spread shot isn't so bad. I generally throw out the bishop turret, then after a little while replace it with rook and use promote for a TP gain after using spread and grenado (after a hot shot), but I bet I can do a little better here.

Burn your cooldowns unless you're saving them for a boss within 90 seconds of the trash pack dying (3 mins for Raging). Same with Hypercharge on the Bishop. Hotshot and DoT everything. Wildfire the thing with the most HP, stay on that target, burn your Reload for the potency bonus and go to town, ensure you're weaving your oGCDs and Quick in between AoE. I'll normally Grenado down to using Invigorate then make a call on how fast things are dying and either alternate Grenado and Spread or just drop to Spread. Obviously keep Hotshot up above all else. Once down to 300ish TP, either lob down a Rook and boost (which will maybe buy you another two Spread before you're on fumes) or switch to single target and whittle off mobs low HP to high. Basically you want to come out of every AoE pack exhausted of TP and cooldowns and run a boosted Rook as you move to the next.

• Locked thread