Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Beta delayed "a few days"
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=202634

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I'm not surprised given what they posted a couple days ago. I think they pushed the 1.5 live on a Friday so I expect them to do the same thing here since it gives time for the servers to stabilise after the Thursday maintenance/powerplay calculation tick.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
That's a kick in the nuts.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Danknificent posted:

That's a kick in the nuts.
No? It's a beta, if it needs to be delayed because there are glaring problems then it's better they delay it and fix stuff before releasing it so that people aren't providing feedback on stuff they actively know is broken.

I realise you're very excited about spacegame following the recent shenanigans with SC but given your account is only 4 days old and you already have the better part of a page of posts in this thread you may want to just chill out a little bit and relax. Elite's development happens at the pace of the Devs, so just go with the flow :)

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
It beats them launching it and, i dunno, it crashing every five minutes and ships flying off into space from physics errors and none of the stations rotating correctly and everything shaking, something along those lines maybe.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
A beta being delayed for a few days isn't a kick in the nuts unless you have weird nuts.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Stanko-Prussian posted:

It beats them launching it and, i dunno, it crashing every five minutes and ships flying off into space from physics errors and none of the stations rotating correctly and everything shaking, something along those lines maybe.

Yeah, but like that thing you're on about, it's at "2.0" now.

Elite hasn't even got 1.5 out the door to regular players yet. Slackers.

Shine posted:

A beta being delayed for a few days isn't a kick in the nuts unless you have weird nuts.

Slap in the face, surely?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shine posted:

Don't kinkshame me :(

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Stanko-Prussian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ztyvBx1R1A

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Wow i haven't thought about dahan gateway in a while, lmao

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Too soon.

RIP ghost station. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5p8YhhaVlA

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Wow i haven't thought about dahan gateway in a while, lmao
I think the best thing about Dahan was where they'd get it working and then the next patch they'd manage to inexplicably break it again. Didn't it even move to another system at some point and it was still broken?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Classic clicks

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Danknificent posted:

That sounds fine to me. I have no idea what I'll end up doing, that's what I'll determine during the beta by doing different things; I'll get more serious when my stats are persistent.

Tell me about the combat skill cap. It's real time legit dogfighting, right? Are there any fighter aces out there? Does pilot skill factor into the game at all?

Dank, while you wait for the game I suggest you watch all of Isinona's videos on YouTube. He flies with flight assist off, aka hard mode, and while everyone else is trying make money and buy bigger ships, he's just pootling around making videos in small ships that have their own sense of narrative. Every video is a little space adventure.

Start with the big video that first got him noticed and start from there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaLJTGHkj8

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

Dank, while you wait for the game I suggest you watch all of Isinona's videos on YouTube. He flies with flight assist off, aka hard mode, and while everyone else is trying make money and buy bigger ships, he's just pootling around making videos in small ships that have their own sense of narrative. Every video is a little space adventure.

Start with the big video that first got him noticed and start from there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaLJTGHkj8

Isinona is playing a very different game from most of the players in ED. He cruises around and just does whatever takes his fancy without considering what is optimal for credits or what ship is OP. It's some form of roleplaying pretty much and he's having a blast. I like to cruise around just doing whatever "feels right" myself, it tends to put a drain on my credits but it's a lot of fun.

He is still putting up videos and I sure as gently caress wouldn't want to get into a fight with him the way he can run circles around people in a Viper.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 24, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Space Skeleton posted:

Isinona is playing a very different game from most of the players in ED. He cruises around and just does whatever takes his fancy without considering what is optimal for credits or what ship is OP. It's some form of roleplaying pretty much and he's having a blast. I like to cruise around just doing whatever "feels right" myself, it tends to put a drain on my credits but it's a lot of fun.

He is still putting up videos and I sure as gently caress wouldn't want to get into a fight with him the way he can run circles around people in a Viper.

That's actually how I play most of the time - scheming and meta-gaming aside, neither which is actually profitable beyond covering ammo expenses :getin:. I probably will never get anything bigger than my Python and my iClipper beyond minor upgrades, and if the Cobra IV is decent, it'll probably become my main ship.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Mercurius posted:

I'm not surprised given what they posted a couple days ago. I think they pushed the 1.5 live on a Friday so I expect them to do the same thing here since it gives time for the servers to stabilise after the Thursday maintenance/powerplay calculation tick.

I assume this will happen, as I am heading out of town on Thursday. :suicide:

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Just got back from my maiden exploration flight up about 4 million credits. Really not terrible for a 1800LY round trip. I got into a pretty much kitted Asp in less than a week and the first two days of that was me flying around Mister Magoo style. I don't see one so I might run up an exploration quick starter guide effort post for the quickest way to go from start to being in an Explorer because I think you could probably do it in under 10-20 hours if you didn't have to figure out the stuff like I did. Then I'll see how it goes might turn it into a mega exploration post.

Really looking forward to some of the additional exploration changes.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Danknificent posted:

Tell me about the combat skill cap. It's real time legit dogfighting, right? Are there any fighter aces out there? Does pilot skill factor into the game at all?

It's a game of "who fucks up FA off the least?"

PVE is "who can take advantage of buggy as hell AI and stay behind the biggest most rewarding (to kill) ships the longest?"

I had a hell of a time bounty hunting the big ships until I figured out the way the game handles momentum and thrusters. Also learning that the iClipper has really good thrusters one way and really awful thrusters another way lead me to reevaulate my fighting style and now I'm pretty good at wrecking bigger ships while barely taking damage.

I am probably unforgivably bad in PVP, but I really have no interest in trying that out until I get an IR headtracker so I can track other ships easier.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Something I'm sure that has been mentioned but I missed and just thought about...

How are the rover buggies stored? Are they their own ship modules? Are they stored as cargo?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is it just me or are combat zones a lot more bullshit than they used to be? Spend ages jousting and doing piddling damage, and when they're nearly dead ~4 enemies aggress you and if you don't run instantly you melt in seconds.

:argh:

E: Okay I'm getting frustrated now... are you just meant to frameshift out the moment more than one ship targets you? Because they'll just follow if you fly away, and you can't take down the newcomer because everything takes so. long. to kill.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 24, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

No beta until the 30th :qq:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

more time to make the game better :)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well thanks to <<REDACTED>> runs, I'm closing in on a billion credits of assets. :toot:

You don't need to hide Robigo in this thread, they already know. Of course when 1.5/2.0 drops and we find the crazy bug-induced money-making runs, we can and should use the "REDACTED" moniker.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

No beta until the 30th :qq:

Welp, time to take my new Python on an exploration-trip to visit the five black holes I know the systems of.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Paramemetic posted:

The core gameplay is flying a ship. If you like doing that, the game will be fun. If you need other reasons to play, look toward the Diamond Frogs, because we create a lot of meta reasons to do poo poo. It's best not to grind for cash as your main objective, that path leads to madness (you will realize all too late that money means nothing and burn out).
This is me. I find the basic gameplay of Elite very good but without the impetuous of doing something more meaningful than 'get money' I find it hard to work up enthusiasm about logging on. What does Diamond Frogs encourage and for what purpose?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Since I was an idiot who bought alpha way back in the day, do I get Horizons for free?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Knifegrab posted:

Since I was an idiot who bought alpha way back in the day, do I get Horizons for free?

the fact that we need a chart to keep track of who gets what when is basically the most :frontear: thing possible, but

AndroidHub posted:

And if you're not sure about what to buy, here's a handy infographic about the different options (though the lifetime pass is no longer available.)

It looks like you're good to go.

Pierson posted:

This is me. I find the basic gameplay of Elite very good but without the impetuous of doing something more meaningful than 'get money' I find it hard to work up enthusiasm about logging on. What does Diamond Frogs encourage and for what purpose?

Our Fearless Leader posted:

Performing an honest day's work for food, and killing only for money, the enigmatic band of mercenaries known as "Diamond Frogs" appeared in the latter half of 3301, a year future historians will surely agree is "when it hit the fan."

Led by the charismatic (and probable war criminals) Kermit "Big Frog" Laphroaig, Darth "Bling Bling" Blingcowski, and the legendary Worldship refugee known as the Space Texan, the Diamond Frogs are available for hire. They have laid claim to a small area of space they've dubbed the "Goat-Xihe Cluster," and an agent or contact of theirs can be easily found around there.

The Frogs' chief import is alcohol and narcotics, their main export is REVENGE. And coffee. They really like coffee.

which is to say, do whatever makes pubbies cry or gets us paid, in that order

We're currently working on hardcore expanding, but our crack team of poopsockers top men reverse engineers are continually working on deciphering the ins and outs of the black box that is "Elite Dangerous' background simulator" in order to wreak the most havoc for the least possible effort. The results are usually fun to watch when Frontier doesn't break the entire background sim randomly for days at a time

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 24, 2015

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Something I'm sure that has been mentioned but I missed and just thought about...

How are the rover buggies stored? Are they their own ship modules? Are they stored as cargo?
It sounds like they'll be treated more or less as cargo and you'll need at least 4 tons of space for one.

Knifegrab posted:

Sounds like it. Log in to the Frontier Store and go to My Downloadable Products. If you see "Elite Dangerous - Alpha" or "Elite Dangerous - Premium Beta", then you have a lifetime expansion pass as part of that and don't need to purchase anything else.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Helter Skelter posted:

It sounds like they'll be treated more or less as cargo and you'll need at least 4 tons of space for one.

I thought I saw it as a unique slot in outfitting. I doubt I'll be able to dig up the image/video where I saw it, though.

I still can't tell for sure, but it seems like it just goes in any 4+ ton cargo slot and does not have a unique slot.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
You know, it follows that fighters will probably work the same way as long as it's a launch-capable ship.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Pierson posted:

Our main schtick is the same as any goon group in any game - we want to have fun. Because ED doesn't always provide player-level fun at a regular level, we often make fun for ourselves.

One thing we've been working on doing is expanding Diamond Frogs through the BGS. The reason this is Good and Fun is because we're an Anarchy system - wherever we spread and take over becomes an anarchy, without cops or laws or rules. This works well with our narrative of being scorned veterans of the Revolutionary Jotunheim Republic.

We also do PVP and PVE for hire, though the hiring system isn't great (we have a ledger of people what owe us lots of money but we haven't collected because cargo transfer sucks). There is a pubbie group called EIC that likes to hire us to provide event security or other things for them when they do gimmick stuff.

Overall, we are working to being recognized by the devs as a "triple elite" group. This gives us a batphone to influence game development as part of a bigger council. We're close to making this happen.

Additionally, we revert to old staples. The other week some space communists poo poo talked our knowledge of the background simulator, so we bottomed out their influence in their home system. The current slow moving state of the BGS? Basically our fault for doing that, as it caused a lot of people to cry about how a large, coordinated group can accomplish more than a small, uncoordinated group, and how this isn't fair.

For Horizons, we plan to have some of our space Trumps fly capital ships that we will let multicrew stage fighters and buggies out of. We also have plans to attempt to ramp a buggy off a mountain and onto the back of an anaconda which will then drag it into space and see if that works.

As the game develops more into its social/multiplayer elements (it has been showing signs of doing, FDev seems to be relenting on their policy of trying to prevent players from playing together), we'll of course be on the front of that.

If nothing else, you can always feel part of whatever is going on. Right now, for example, Diamond Frogs have expanded into a nearby system, and are in a civil war there. You can help the cause by going and shooting up those CZs for the Diamond Frogs. A lot of times, our missions are not easily comprehensible at the boots on the ground level, but the political intrigue ensures comedy payoffs when we are successful. We also have a few old feuds that will probably be settled soon as things develop. Check out our thread in PGS for the latest.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Okay see now that I can get behind. Reinstalling.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You at least convinced me to start following the PGS thread again :v:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I didn't realize Frogs were so active

Might have to fly back to you guys

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Adult Sword Owner posted:

We almost always have something going on, but even when we don't, Diamond Frog space is very close to excellent RES and mining systems, so it's a nice place to hang around even when you aren't paying attention to whatever operations are going on.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Can second this. Flew with a goon wing for the first time this morning in the current combat zone. Being a scrub in an Eagle I died about five times but it was the most fun I've had in a long time in Elite. As said before, one of the nice things about the Diamond Frogs is that since they're neutral you're not hampered by big power alignment stuff. You can pretty much do what you want with a bunch of coold people.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Glad to have you! I confess I have taken a week or two off from playing (still reading Intel and scheming on a daily basis) because Fallout 4 but also just to unwind before Horizon beta drops.

Here is what changes since the Big Harry days:

The running gag of Diamond Frogs is they are scam artists always looking to make more money, and do heroics entirely by accident (or "for kicks").

Our stations are Anarchies so No-fire zones, speed limits, and dumping fines do not exist. Loitering and shooting the station more than once are still killing offenses.

Our system, 63 G. Capricorni (aka "Mother Goat") has over 9 billion (American billion) citizens, nine stations, and twelve planets, no gas giants. One still has rings. The system is about centered in civilized space, so a lot of cool places are within 80 ly away.

Our local cluster has a high tech system almost exactly like Beta-1 Tunacae, but Xihe also has a rare. Something to grab before setting of to afore-mentioned cool places! So we call it the Goat-Xihe Cluster :v:

Meta-gaming! I still am not sure what this means exactly but if it means loving with other players we gots it. With friendly interdictions (unless they run) to provoking a war with a song, good times are ahead for you.

Organization! We are on inara.cz and currently #3 in size. Go there and register if you are not already.

And that is my press release thank u for proofing it :jiggled:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Literally Kermit posted:

..but also just to unwind before Horizon beta drops...

I think this is a lot of us. I know I'm unwinding.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Paint packs for the Diamondbacks have hit the store.

Also some techno skins for the culture.

And :siren:flag skins for the cobra:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Either someone fatfingered that or frontier have hired sandi gardner.

• Locked thread