Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4775313541/ref=pe_388602_193753042_em_sim_1_ti

Finally my wish for an Idol TRPG has been granted. I saw this previewed in the issue of Role&Roll magazine right before I left Japan and I was super hyped for it to come out. As soon as I'm settled in to my new house I'm ordering it right away. Idolm@ster is one of my favorite game/anime franchises and I can't wait to be able to tabletop it.

Also if anyone is in the Indiana area, I'm going to be setting up a group that meets each month to try out a bunch of different Japanese TRPG systems. I'll translate character creation and enough of the system for folks to understand what they're doing and just explain the rest verbally. I'm pretty confident in my ability to GM fun games using a lot of different settings/rules and mostly I just want to gather up people who want to have fun either enjoying or picking apart crazy Japanese TRPG systems. I'll be based in Lafayette, about 40-45 minutes from Indianapolis, not too bad of a drive for a monthly group.

If you're interested just kick me a PM or e-mail me at tsukiwouru@gmail.com I'll be posting up public recruitment ads once I'm set up in the city, but I'm hoping to maybe have a goon or two in the group because the 'worst tabletop experiences' thread has made me really leery of just grabbing a bunch of random people from off the street to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Tell me more about the "Role & Roll Books", I'm intrigued. I see it's a magazine, is it also a publisher?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Did Amazon.jp reduce their international shipping prices? I just ordered that for $21 shipped to the U.S.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Tell me more about the "Role & Roll Books", I'm intrigued. I see it's a magazine, is it also a publisher?

It's a pretty awesome company all around if you're into Japanese TRPGs. Their magazine usually has at least one thing for each of the RPGs they publish, either supplemental rules or a mini-adventure or campaign hooks and stuff. And they do a ton of stuff; they make all the Saikoro Fiction series, Meikyuu Kingdom, a bunch of other Japanese ones and they even do the localization of Shadowrun. They also do community stuff, like they have a contest for people to design new systems to publish in the Saikoro Fiction series (I believe Card Ranker was a winner one of the years). Their shop in Akihabara is also the best place for buying board games, TRPG books, and they even have space for setting up sessions.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm starting a group that plays a bunch of random Japanese TPRG systems over Skype and Roll20. If you're interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744664

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Try announcing on ADTRW too, people there are chill with tabletops.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Does anyone have links to Actual Play podcasts or write-ups for Double Cross?

I am especially interested in hearing or reading about people playing for the first time. I'm thinking of introducing it to my group but it is a lot more crunchy than our Dungeon World campaign. I'd also be interested in any anecdotes from people in this thread who have taught or learned it - I know combos are a bit confusing at first, but what else?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I'm not very good at doing writeups, but my Double Cross campaign has two sessions done so I can tell you about those.

The campaign is following four groups of Overeds as they go through their own personal arcs and interact with the overarching plot through different angles. Every player has four characters that we bounce between each week. There's a group of students at the local high school, including a UGN Child who is the friend/rival of another player's Shonen Protagonist Transfer Student. There's a group of criminals, existing outside the UGN and FH, who act as a neutral party for both sides while stealing whatever they can with their superpowers. There's a group of UGN agents trying to juggle everything. Finally, there's a group of mature, responsible adults who just happen to have Overed powers (one of them is the student's homeroom teacher).

So far, we've played with the Students and Criminals. The Student game had us really playing up high school drama. Some notable moments included using Overed powers to cheat at a relay race in order to shut up the class rear end in a top hat and a secret meeting in the sports shed (that was a trick by the FH and ended with a Gjaum attack). The players got in to the whole High School angle, and did a great job playing up the petty/SUPER IMPORTANT drama that makes up 90% of a high school student's life. The Criminal session had them stealing a painting out from under the nose of a UGN director, only to have it stolen from them by a FH Haunuman. It was a combination of sneaky heist planning and high action with a super-power car chase battle.

As far as rules go, I really recommend giving people some simple powers for free. They aren't going to break things, and they're just so fun to use. I hand out 7 simple powers for free at character creation, so that pure breeds get all of their simples, and the others get to mix and match. If you're keeping characters across sessions, you should definitely let people rebuild their characters after one or two goes. It can be hard to really predict how well various combos will work in practice for people not familiar with the system, so there's a high risk of making a character that doesn't do what you wanted it to. I personally also replaced the concentration power with letting them pick another power of their choice. This lowers the chance of super high roll numbers, and gives them more fun toys to play with.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
That's very helpful, thanks. Sounds like your game is off to an awesome start. Are you using the multiple sets of characters since DC normally assumes shorter campaigns?

What I'm thinking is doing kind of an "origin story" thing. The characters will work their way through a False Hearts facility where they've been kidnapped. I'll set it up so that the players first do some basic skill checks to see the base mechanic, then have them recover a few powers and test them, and then finally give them a combo or two for the session boss. Basically, make up three versions of the pre-gen characters with gradually increasing complexity.

Basically, I'm stealing all the tricks of video game tutorials.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Hardcopies of Ryuutama turned up yesterday! Both versions look super nice.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Yeah, I got mine too. It's really gorgeous and I'm glad I opted for the hardback.

thethirdman
Aug 8, 2007
Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins. Leave death to the professionals.
Got my copy of Ryuutama too! It's beautiful.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Gonna concur with this. I got the hardcover and it's really quite gorgeous. Andy K sure outdid himself this time.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just tried to get a physical copy of Double Cross and the only one on Amazon was $9,999. Ya know, those bullshit prices assholes think up on the impossible hope someone is that dumb. Any place to get a copy for a decent price?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The official Ver. Blue Amusement Store seems to still have it in stock, though it looks like they aren't offering the double pack with the Advanced Rulebook anymore. I know they were looking to do a reprint in the larger format with a clearer layout, so I wouldn't be surprised if it they're just selling down their existing stock at the moment.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot who doesn't scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hopefully, they'll do another print run. PDFs exist regardless.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Haven't seen anyone mention it, but the Faerie Skies book for Golden Sky Stories is out, in PDF and PoD (at a discount if you backed the Kickstarter). It's pretty and shiny and my copy just arrived in the mail today:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I hope that Ryuutama gets a shop release like TBZ did - I just couldn't justify the shipping cost.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Shinobigami Kickstarter is up and running

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Shinobigami is by and far the most popular of the Saikoro Fiction series so it makes sense they would start there. At first I was hoping they might release some of the other books in the Saikoro Fiction series if Shinobigami does well, but since the Shinobigami supplement won't be coming until December 2017 I guess they have their hands full and won't be looking at new projects anytime soon. Still, Shinobigami is really solid and if they picked one Saikoro Fiction book to bring to America that'd be the best one.

(though I still want my English Kill Death Business)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Game looks cool. Might check it one day.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

It's a new Kotodama RPG. I must back it.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I have done some playtests with the translator on the project awhile ago and it is fun! I can recommend it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

aldantefax posted:

I have done some playtests with the translator on the project awhile ago and it is fun! I can recommend it.
What's it play like?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Good, quick, easy to understand much like most Japanese-sourced tabletop RPGs. It has a very simple resolution system and the secrets system is good; this is a game that handles PVP actually pretty tastefully.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Did Tenra Bansho Zero ever get bookmarks? If so, I bought it from their store so how would I get that version?

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

Getsuya posted:

Gundam 0079

So how does this play?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Covok posted:

Did Tenra Bansho Zero ever get bookmarks? If so, I bought it from their store so how would I get that version?

The plaintext version does. I dunno if you get that version if you buy the book, but it couldn't hurt to email Andy and ask.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gao posted:

So how does this play?

I thought that was just Mekton, or was I thinking of a different Gundam game?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Gao posted:

So how does this play?

It's essentially a miniatures game. Grid-based, no actual plot, you just set up missions and run them. Most of the book is dedicated to sperging over minute details of mecha stats. They only had a handful to pick from in that era so they got as detailed as they could with each one. Not really much of an RPG. More like something for the huge Gundam fanatics to recreate their favorite battles with or something like that. I sold it to a Book Off after flipping through it once since it didn't seem like something I'd ever play.

Covok
May 27, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

The plaintext version does. I dunno if you get that version if you buy the book, but it couldn't hurt to email Andy and ask.

No, I got that version. Remembered I had it fairly recently, funny enough. Wish it was on the art version, though. I prefer reading that because pretty pictures.

Tenra looks pretty legit, by the by, but it just seems so much setup for a game that should only be played over 6 hours. I think it probably works better if you carry your characters over. Treating it like an anthology series of plays, if you would.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tenra is a great game but the way it's set up really doesn't work for long term play. You can rewrite that, but it's a good chunk of work getting the new balance correct. Demimonde the Persona-inspired supplement which still isn't out yet promises to be both simpler to set up and more suited to long term play. We'll see though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Covok posted:

No, I got that version. Remembered I had it fairly recently, funny enough. Wish it was on the art version, though. I prefer reading that because pretty pictures.

Tenra looks pretty legit, by the by, but it just seems so much setup for a game that should only be played over 6 hours. I think it probably works better if you carry your characters over. Treating it like an anthology series of plays, if you would.

This is how my group's done it in the past, including past karma/kiai hauls. It's basically like an old TV serial, where you have the same characters with an implied continuity, but the only story that matters is the one in front of you that day. It's worked pretty well so far!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Tenra is a great game but the way it's set up really doesn't work for long term play. You can rewrite that, but it's a good chunk of work getting the new balance correct. Demimonde the Persona-inspired supplement which still isn't out yet promises to be both simpler to set up and more suited to long term play. We'll see though.

I don't mean as one continuous adventure...

grassy gnoll posted:

This is how my group's done it in the past, including past karma/kiai hauls. It's basically like an old TV serial, where you have the same characters with an implied continuity, but the only story that matters is the one in front of you that day. It's worked pretty well so far!

...I mean more like this: an anthology.

How did you handle karma accumulation? As it stands, it'd be easy for everyone turn asura if the game went too long.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I did a six-month or so campaign of Tenra Bansho Zero where they slowly worked to overthrow a corrupt daimyo, it's definitely doable. Players get pretty saavy as far as juggling karma and fates go, I didn't ever find that to be an issue. Really it can handle games at least to the point where people start getting their capstone abilities, at which point you start looking to wind things up as the game really starts breaking up. Granted, balance is wonky and all over the place in TBZ, but high-skill characters only exaggerate that fact.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
And then there're kongohki.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Are they broken ridiculous good?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

I ran a kongohki once as the final fight of a session. It only took one combat round to realize that the expected enemy dice pool should be reached after Overdrive is applied. That first round it loving mauled everyone who attacked it in melee.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Covok posted:

Are they broken ridiculous good?

They gain pretty substantial benefits for treading the knife's edge in karma, and can use Overdrive to reroll and increase their number of successes. They are legitimately combat monsters that can destroy almost any enemy, except maybe literally invincible spirits. They are balanced by being "stunned" whenever they receive aiki...which means the only way to stop them is to feed them more power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Covok posted:

I have a bookmarked PDF on my PC, but it doesn't look like an official one. My official (I think) one doesn't have bookmarks.

Edit: And yeah, Kongohki are horseshit, and intentionally so. They're fun as hell to play, though, particularly if you get the Overdrive martial technique for Double Kongohki Overdrive action. There are too many of my favourite things about TBZ to list but the fact that you basically can't make a bad character is one of them. In a game I was in, one of the best PCs was a guy who didn't even have a special template, he was just a dude who had the Twin Guns martial technique and spent the whole game John Wooing around the place, shooting bullets out of the air. An entire character concept hung off a single optional ability designed for templated characters to splash into. TBZ chargen is amazing.

Doodmons fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 24, 2015

• Locked thread