Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CommonShore posted:

I just like watching Doctor Who :shobon:

Why are you posting in this thread then :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CommonShore posted:

Shun the non-believer!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CommonShore posted:

Weirdo.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Clouseau posted:

Big Finish put a bunch of their most popular main range titles on sale for the week. Any recommendations?

No idea if the story is good but the artwork for The Wrong Doctors is pretty funny.

Some intense Colin Baker on there.

Somebody Photoshop DoctorWhat's face on this please.

e: The longer I look at it the less funny and more intensely frightening the "younger" Doctor (on the right) looks.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The stories with Sixie and Mel in them tend to be pretty good; that might indicate that its a good'un

Mel is genuinely one of my favourite Big Finish companions: I'm not sure quite why.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I used to have money, you know :cripes:

Edit: Oh my God, the Sixth Doctor is doing companion stories with Jamie and Zoe now? :vince:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 23, 2015

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Clouseau posted:

Big Finish put a bunch of their most popular main range titles on sale for the week. Any recommendations?

Welp, added Rani Elite and Last of the Cybermen to the evergrowing pile. What a wonderful problem having more Doctor Who than you can get around to is to have.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 23, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Watching things for fun is for plebs and morons, sorry.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Spent a lovely 23 minutes or so revisiting An Unearthly Child. I am jaded and cynical in my old age, but I still get a little shiver and thrill when Barbara falls into the TARDIS and we get that first look at its interior, ever. :unsmith:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Wrong Doctors is excellent, a cut above much of the recent Main Range. It's a good script with good jokes and decent action, and it's elevated by DOUBLE COLIN BAKER

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ms Boods posted:

Spent a lovely 23 minutes or so revisiting An Unearthly Child. I am jaded and cynical in my old age, but I still get a little shiver and thrill when Barbara falls into the TARDIS and we get that first look at its interior, ever. :unsmith:

Then the doctor kidnaps them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Then the doctor kidnaps them.

All to rub their faces in it for daring to be concerned about one of their students :allears:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

My dad hasn't watched Doctor Who since 1966 on account of the severe childhood trauma from seeing his hero fall over and some other strange man get up, and there are times like today when I absolutely understand where he's coming from.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

The Wrong Doctors is excellent, a cut above much of the recent Main Range. It's a good script with good jokes and decent action, and it's elevated by DOUBLE COLIN BAKER

Might pick this up come payday then (providing I remember!) - Colin Baker Big Finish is excellent most of the time in my experience - which admittedly is mostly patches of the first 80 or so.

e: I am well aware you take issue with some recent 6 audios, I mean.

ee: I hope everyone I know will be pleased their Christmas presents from me this year will be Big Finish audio dramas.

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 23, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I "take issue" with one specific recent Six audio. Two if you squint.

Which is to say, The Widow's Assassin is dreck and The Last Adventure is terribly unsatisfying.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Makes you think.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Fath is always my answer about. :colbert:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CobiWann posted:

They’re all pretty solid (save for Terror Firma which you either love or…well, Joseph Lidster)…but the best of the best?

The Holy Terror
The Chimes of Midnight
Spare Parts
Davros
The Kingmaker
The Silver Turk
The Rani Elite
The Last of the Cybermen

If I only had to pick three? The Chimes of Midnight, Davros, The Last of the Cybermen

What about Storm Warning? I heard that was supposed to be good, too.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Someone put this in the doctor who wiki page for the latest episode.

quote:

In one scene, there is a poster with a diagram of a flux capacitor, a direct reference to Back to the Future. It is accompanied by writings in Aurebesh, the main alphabet used in the Star Wars franchise. This writing spells out "Delorean", the car used in the Back to the Future franchise.
echoplex!!!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Clara never really worked as a character for me, I never really got a handle on what she's all about. Not criticising Jenna Coleman's acting, she's always been excellent, but the writing for her was all over the place. I've had my criticisms of RTD and Moffat over the years but previous revival companions always felt like they acted in character, they weren't just "the companion" who did what was needed for the plot. Perhaps the problem started when they changed the character from Victorian nanny Clara to modern Clara and didn't really put any thought into how the character is now totally different.

Things did improve with her when Capaldi took over as the Doctor, but they never really landed it.

Hopefully with the next companion, Moffat and pals have a good well defined idea of who this attractive 20something British woman is as a person and can go from there.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Should have just stuck with Victoria nanny Clara.

She had much more depth than "real" Clara - balancing her two lives.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

I used to have money, you know :cripes:

Edit: Oh my God, the Sixth Doctor is doing companion stories with Jamie and Zoe now? :vince:

They already have my money. All of it.

Nah, the Jamie and Zoe thing was part of a trilogy earlier this year, where a future incarnation of the Doctor found himself transported back to an earlier point in his timeline, so you had Seven wth Jo, Six with Jamie & Zoe, and Five with Steven & Vicki.

Though Six did have a brief quadrilogy with Jamie a couple years back.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Seven with Jo? Oh man, I think I need to hear that. Was it any good?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FreezingInferno posted:

Seven with Jo? Oh man, I think I need to hear that. Was it any good?

It wasn't bad, but out of the three, the one with 5, Steven, and Vicki was amazing. Interestingly enough, it basically did the same thing Six's "final" story, The Brink of Death, tried to do, but pulled it of much more successfully.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Someone put this in the doctor who wiki page for the latest episode.
echoplex!!!

Deloreans everywhere

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

It's just one clip, so I don't want to draw any sweeping conclusions, but he sounds really off in that one clip. Not nearly.....gravely enough.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
What did the Doctor say to the Sisterhood of Karn?

"This planet looks like a good place to crash."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

It's just one clip, so I don't want to draw any sweeping conclusions, but he sounds really off in that one clip. Not nearly.....gravely enough.

Well, it's not taking place on the last day of the Time War.

And Matt Lucas confirmed for the X-Mas special. Sadly, he won't be reprising his role as the Jelloid from "The One Doctor"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Well, it's not taking place on the last day of the Time War.

Yeah...but his whole gimmick is being gruff and tired of all these Time Wars. Even his very first line of "Doctor no more..." is raspy as hell.

Again, I don't want to judge the whole performance from like 30 seconds, and I'm still buying the box set. But hopefully he gets more gravely as it goes along.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

And More posted:

What about Storm Warning? I heard that was supposed to be good, too.

Storm Warning is only serviceable, the reason it's recommended is that it's Charlie's introduction.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

Again, I don't want to judge the whole performance from like 30 seconds, and I'm still buying the box set. But hopefully he gets more gravely as it goes along.

He sounds like he's doing an impression of Ian Holm

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cabinet posted:

Makes you think.

So this is by Phil Sandifer, I assume?

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
The difference between Moffat and RTD is when Davies poo poo the bed he only ruined an episode or two.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cerv posted:

You might as well ask for Marvel and DC to concentrate their output on inventive new comics instead of Batman punching the Joker for the thousandth time. It's what the nerd fans want, and that's the only people buying these things. We can cherish the diamonds in the poo poo but the you'll always have the poo poo to sift through.

A page back, but I did want to say this is a little disingenuous. I heard this in a podcast somewhere--I don't remember which--but Marvel's big recent spikes in comic sales aren't related to their movie releases (although there's an okay-sized bump there). The really big hits are when they do things like make Thor a woman or make Ms. Marvel a Muslim. Sure there's always call for the X-Men to fight Magneto or whatever, the loudest nerds will always want that the hardest, and even the new readers brought by those changes will want that. But there's definitely profit and success in actually daring to be interesting and new.

And without knowing figures, I think a similar thing is true for Doctor Who. the biggest hits of the revival haven't just been 'the Doctor fights the Daleks again', they've been weird new ideas like Blink and Flatline, or payoffs like Day of the Doctor. There's no way that's sustainable, we need a standard to keep us there, build up the payoffs and prevent the weird ideas from becoming stale, but the best stories for long-term fans and the ones most likely to bring in newcomers will always be the ones that try to be inventive.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Barry Foster posted:

Storm Warning is only serviceable, the reason it's recommended is that it's Charlie's introduction.

I think it's got quite a bit to recommend it beyond that, the whole setup of the alien culture is quite cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: Star Trek: The Eurovision Frontier

Long Synopsis: The 7th Doctor and Mel stumble into a mixture of diplomatic incident, Eurovision song contest, and shoddy Poirot antics all taking place in an episode of Star Trek. Incompetence, wild deductions, and "humor" abound... also the Doctor almost gets laid.

What's Good:
  • The "Detective" Story. From the moment the Doctor and Mel find themselves on a space shuttle with two dead bodies, they know they've a mystery to solve. Both take very different approaches to this, with the Doctor content to let the clues come to him, sitting back and evaluating data, trying to figure out motivations and actions and solve the puzzle he's discovered. Meanwhile Mel rushes about enthusiastically making wild deductions based on little to no evidence. When the Doctor calmly shoots down her many theories (all of which make sense but are based on absolutely NOTHING), she quickly finds another person to hang out with who seems more willing to put up with her excited but baseless theories. Mel's complete impatience with the usual trappings of the mystery novel is a lot of fun too, at one point the Doctor tries to do the typical parlor "You're probably wondering why I gathered you all here" scene and Mel just irritably insists he stop teasing them with discarded theories and just tell them who the guilty person is. Perhaps the best part though is this brief exchange between the Doctor and Mel, which sums up their respective absent-minded brilliance and eagerness to correct natures:

Doctor: Every Poirot needs his Watson.
    Mel: Hastings.
    Doctor: Lovely place.

• The Star Trek parody. Though the names of the crew is apparently based on Space: 1999, it is very obvious from the get-go that the station, crew and even general settings is meant to evoke Star Trek. A weird mixture of TOS, TNG and DS9 to be sure, but still clearly Star Trek. The space station is called Dark Space 8, an obvious reference to Deep Space 9 - the crew feels like a mixture of TOS/TNG characters, with most of the background adventures they reference being obvious parodies of the type often faced by Captain Kirk and his crew, even the fact the station is hosting an intergalactic conference seems apropos. Given enough time I'm sure they would have started talking about Nazi Planet and Cowboy Planet. When the humor is good natured like that, the parody works quite well, and the (oft-forgotten) use of logbooks as a framing device works quite well, especially in the epilogue.

What's Not:

• Meanspirited. Unfortunately too often the parody falls into meanspirited territory. The Doctor (not the titular character) and the Professor are incompetents, more interested in workplace relationships and reminiscing about past adventures than actually doing their jobs. The reveals for why each are so useless feel especially mean - one is a drunk and the other is a fraud responsible for hundreds of death to satisfy her own desire for excitement/adventure. The latter is at least called out by Mel, who refuses to let the Doctor just smoothly gloss over these crimes. The entire song contest and all the contestants are treated as jokes, stereotypical caricatures in a contest that nobody REALLY cares about apart from the extraordinarily shallow and moronic. Now maybe this is an accurate depiction of Eurovision itself (All I know about it is that all the other countries are in on the joke that the contest exists purely to make sure England doesn't win it, just to see England get mad about it) but when everybody (including the contestants, the commentators, and the station crew) are constantly making fun of the contest it doesn't exactly make me the listener care at all about it.

• The mystery. Almost from the beginning the bad guy seems so obvious, the red herrings so clearly red herrings, that there is a sense it can't possibly be that simple. And then it is. There is no "mystery", the bad guy basically stomps around shouting,"I'M THE BAD GUY AND THESE THINGS I AM SAYING ARE LIES!" while other characters say,"THAT GUY MAY BE A JERK BUT HE'S DEFINITELY NOT THE BAD GUY!". The revelation of the mystery doesn't necessarily always need to be the big moment in the story, but the sense I get from listening to this is that it was intended to be - the Doctor's revelation of the true baddie was meant to make the listener go,"Oh wait that puts all his actions in a new context!" instead of,"Yeah.... obviously?"

• The accents, oh God the accents. Sadly this happens a lot in Big Finish, and there is no exception here. The accents are atrocious - a Valkyrie warrior who bellows and moans in a thick accent constantly and a squeaking Alpha-Centauri style voice for the mouse-like arbiter mean that there is a a constant stream of loud, annoying, grating voices assailing the ears. One alien character can only communicate through a staticky crackling so that is constantly showing up as well. A stronger story would make these bearable, but the plot and characters aren't strong enough and what is meant to be comedic just becomes annoying.

Final Thoughts:

Bang-Bang-a-Boom! makes no bones whatsoever about being a comedy, and a parody to boot. Unfortunately, while humor is subjective, I'd argue that the comedy here mostly falls flat, and the parody comes across more mean-spirited than anything else. The cast at least seem to throw themselves into their roles with relish, but the entire story has an air that Big Finish itself wasn't taking things seriously... to the point that it seems to be poking fun at how ridiculous/dramatic/campy the story is... but it is still THEIR story, don't make fun of something that you yourself are producing! A few good moments are surrounded by campy schlock, and the "mystery" itself and the big reveals are so incredibly obvious that it makes you wonder if the Doctor wasn't just holding back on his reveals because he knew there were two hours of content to fill. Comedy is fine and the odd self-effacing story is to be applauded, but it is very very easy to get that stuff wrong, and is such a subjective genre that there is a good chance it is going to fall flat for a significant proportion of viewers. For me it fell flat, and even so soon after listening to it I'm already starting to forget most of it. That's what this ultimately is, a very forgettable story, the primary memory of which will be the mental image of the startled Doctor with his head buried in a large set of breasts (not Peri).

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Compare to how The One Doctor handled satire and fun as opposed to Bang-Bang-A-Boom!. The One Doctor did it so much better...but it also didn't have Patricia Quinn, who was great in this story. I like this story, but it's one that definitely feels like it's "making fun" instead of "being in on the joke."

So I have a problem - I'm trying to write my Face the Raven review, but I really really want to watch The Seeds of Doom...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Compare to how The One Doctor handled satire and fun as opposed to Bang-Bang-A-Boom!. The One Doctor did it so much better...but it also didn't have Patricia Quinn, who was great in this story. I like this story, but it's one that definitely feels like it's "making fun" instead of "being in on the joke."

Yeah, for me parody in general works better when it is good-natured, as opposed to being meanspirited. This just feels too much like the joke is,"Aren't these things silly and to be made fun of!" as opposed to,"Isn't this story silly and fun to listen to!"

CobiWann posted:

So I have a problem - I'm trying to write my Face the Raven review, but I really really want to watch The Seeds of Doom...

If the choice comes down between writing about Doctor Who and WATCHING Doctor Who, I always chose to watch.

Especially that story, it's really good! Not quite as good as The Seeds of Death, but then very little is :allears:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've been watching a lot of Quantum Leap lately, and I really want Scott Bakula as a guest star, just so I can pretend it's a secret crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Radio Times has a Moffat interview, here he talks about the 50th anniversary special:

RT: Let’s talk about the 50th anniversary – you once told me that 2013 was a bit of a nightmare year for you.
Steven Moffat: Yeah, well nobody really noticed how much telly we made during it. Two weeks during which there was a Doctor Who show on every night. It was like a little mini-season that November. Some were saying, “Where are all the extra episodes?” There! Count the minutes.

RT:What was your original plan for the anniversary special?
SM: I didn’t know what we were going to do with the 50th. I wrote The Name of the Doctor [the series seven finale], which built up to a punchline of the Doctor walking into his own timeline to rescue Clara. No idea what he’d find there. I just knew that whatever he found there would launch the 50th.
The first version was David [Tennant], Matt [Smith] and Chris [Eccleston] together. With whatever involvement we could contrive for the other Doctors, but – being brutal – it had to be Doctors that still looked like their Doctors. I know I’m a b*****d but hey, I think Peter [Davison], Colin [Baker] and Sylvester [McCoy] were better deployed in The Five-ish Doctors [a spoof short film] than they could ever be elsewhere.
But I knew that Chris was almost certainly going to say no. I met him a couple of times and he was absolutely lovely. He met with me because he didn’t want to say no through his agent or a phone call or email. He wanted to do it personally. And I three-quarters talked him into it. So I started a version of it but I got to a point where I could go no further unless it was going to be him. I went for another meeting with him and he decided no. His reasons are his business and he’s a very private man. But it’s reasonable to say he really cares about Doctor Who. He’s well versed in what’s happened since he left, and happily chatted away about Amy Pond by name.

RT: What was the deal with John Hurt coming in at the last minute?
SM: We had to work out what else to do. At that point neither David nor Matt were under contract either. I had Jenna [Coleman]. And I did come up with a plotline that was just Jenna. It was a nightmare. We’re weeks from filming. A production team is assembled, people are doing storyboards and I don’t even know if anyone who has ever played the Doctor is going to be in it.
And meanwhile the entire internet is finding my email and sending me the most hideous death threats. Because I haven’t got William Hartnell back! And I’m thinking, “Well, one: he hasn’t answered the phone. I don’t know why...” But never mind him – I’m not sure if David and Matt are doing it either. I’m crouched in the corner of my office wondering, “What the f*** am I going to do!”
So then David and Matt come on board and the BBC are waiting for my big idea. I remember saying to Marcus [Wilson, producer], “What if there was an incarnation of the Doctor none of us knew about? And, coincidentally, he was played by the most famous actor in the world? Specifically someone who might have been cast as the Doctor during the long hiatus. For instance, John Hurt...”

RT:Really, his name sprang to mind first off?
SM: Yes, because his Doctor had to be battle-weary, the one so sick of the Time War that he was going to do this.

RT: Didn’t John Hurt say something like “I received the script on Friday and was on set on Monday”?
SM: It wasn’t quite as fast as that but it was bloody fast. He was top of our list. I wrote the War Doctor script and we sent it off to John Hurt, assuming that was the beginning of a frantic two weeks of sending it off to every actor you’ve ever heard off and got Janette Krankie. And – God bless him for ever! – he said yes almost immediately. That was the first stroke of luck we had on that sodding show.
And how good was he! One moment as the Doctor and he nails it. He totally gets it. And he was lovely about being in it. I wasn’t there on his last day, but he gave a little speech and said something like: “I don’t want anyone to think I took this lightly or thought I was slumming it. This really meant something to me, to be the Doctor.” He was quite insistent, saying to me and to others: “So I am properly Doctor Who now. I am a Doctor Who. I can say it?” He loves the fact that he’s Doctor Who. Only having to stay in Cardiff for three weeks, he gets to be Doctor Who.

RT: You enjoy all eras of the programme really, don’t you?
SM: I had an epiphany on 1980s Doctors. I’ve always loved Peter Davison. I think he’s lovely and I don’t care who knows it. And I’ve come to really like Sylvester McCoy. His first year [1987] is a bit of a disaster but the other two years are great. And for my son Louis, unequivocally, his favourite Doctor is Sylvester.

RT:Has he met him?
SM: When we were at the 50th [anniversary party] at the BFI, surrounded by the great and the good, Louis clutched my arm and said, “Dad, is that Sylvester McCoy?” “Yes, it is.” “Dad, can I meet him?” “I’m sure I can arrange that.” Later Louis says, “Please, I need to meet him.” So I get a message up to Sylvester asking him to hang around, “My son wants to meet you.” This will make you fall in love with Sylvester as the best Doctor ever.
I took Louis up and, across the room, Sylvester saw us arriving. He leapt up from a sofa – and he’s not a young man – and he spun his walking cane like the Doctor’s umbrella and said, “Louis, Louis! I’m falling over. Could you just come and help me?” So Louis rushed over and helped Doctor No 7 and he thanked him very much. He’d turned into the seventh Doctor like that [clicks fingers] and I cannot now hear a bad word about his Doctor.

RT: The icing on the cake was getting Tom Baker to do a cameo towards the end of the special. How did that come about?
SM: Tom Baker, that was sort of awesome. That voice, unchanged since the 70s, those eyes, that smile – all back on the Doctor Who set. And everyone just standing there, staring. Like after all this time on Doctor Who, Doctor Who had turned up. Wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but he was word perfect, showed up with all his business sorted out, and nailed it, take after take. Magical. I can say I was actually there, the day Tom Baker came back.

• Locked thread