Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

The Sharmat posted:

Trish's mom gets superpowers that make her able to make a person feel responsible for whatever just happened simply by telling them it was their fault.

hey my stepmom has that power too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That's what makes it such a relatable and topical premise for a season.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe after Luke Cage's first season they team up and just have one show called Jessica/Cage.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
sign me up, let's make it 16 episodes this time around

episode 3: Trish's mom escapes certain capture by throwing down a smoke bomb she stole from the Hand in a scene we never saw
episode 7: Trish's mom escapes because Jessica trips on some marbles a neighbor kid down the hall left out
episode 9: Jessica captures Trish's mom and the police take her in, but it turns out her handcuffs were made of delicious licorice and she chews her way to freedom
episode 13: Trish's mom escapes because four random assholes break down Jessica's door and knock her out with a 2x4 -- wait, that's too stupid, that would never happen

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Snak posted:

Maybe after Luke Cage's first season they team up and just have one show called Jessica/Cage.

I was quite seriously just going to suggest the same thing :shobon:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Where would a second season even go? I mean Tennant basically carried the show and I can't imagine watching 13 episodes without him.

I'd be perfectly ok if this didn't get another season. Just leave this as a one and done 13 episodes show.

Now that Sony is playing nice, they might be able to do the Spider-Girl/J. Jonah Jameson plot. I mean, they'd have to rewrite it a little so it's not as derivative of Killgrave as it would be now, but it was kind of interesting. That could lead into a loose adaptation of Pulse as the second half or so of the season.

Jessica would probably work best as a reoccurring character in the other series though, leading up to the Defenders thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I was quite seriously just going to suggest the same thing :shobon:

I'm 100% serious. I don't know what to expect at all from the Luke Cage series, but if it continues to develop their relationship it could make sense to have them become the leads of their own arc.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Why does Luke just bail at the end? First he's insisting on saving Jessica and then gets talked out of it, then won't even stick around to see her? Sort of came out of left field.

Now that I've finished the season I can safely say that, while I liked it, I think Daredevil was a significantly better show. Jessica Jones had too many eye-rolling special effects (omg that jump over the police), plodding episodes, and frankly pretty pointless characters (oh look another Robyn x Malcolm scene).

What it had going for it: a really great villain, a very watchable (although not amazing) lead, and a few pretty entertaining side characters. Daredevil had all that too though. I guess I'd say Jessica Jones dealt with more complex issues as well.

Oh and the intro is rad as hell.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 24, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm still unclear of how he suffered a injury after surviving being blown up. I guess it's to show he really is unbreakable ,but still not sure what happened there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because he can still get a concussion, and he got one hell of a concussion.

Those big fiery movie explosions are relatively weak.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Where would a second season even go? I mean Tennant basically carried the show and I can't imagine watching 13 episodes without him.

IGH seems like something they want to follow up on, but between that and the other child experimentation (that's what IGH is about for Jessica), it seems natural thread for the Nick Cage series, with Jessica playing the supporting role, since she was not as aware of what happened to her as the other kids (including probably Cage) were.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Everyone mentioned a Jessica Jones / Luke Cage show would be great, but they should just go all in with it being Heroes for Hire.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

I'm 100% serious. I don't know what to expect at all from the Luke Cage series, but if it continues to develop their relationship it could make sense to have them become the leads of their own arc.

I hope that the Luke Cage series is just done in a blaxploitation style like Black Dynamite. Iron Fist can be done like a wuxia film.

I don't care if the tone wouldn't match Jessica Jones and Daredevil, just have both of them be throwbacks to the 70s

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

I'm still unclear of how he suffered a injury after surviving being blown up. I guess it's to show he really is unbreakable ,but still not sure what happened there.

I think the kick of getting a shotgun bullet to the underjaw, where there is relatively little muscle, banged up his insides enough to knock him out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Snak posted:

So am I, I'd really love to see the progression of their relationship like they did through the comics :)

Also I really, really, really want for there to eventually be a TV version of that Spider-Man "Woah, I used to have a crush on you!" moment :laugh:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah it makes sense, I just felt it was a bit contrived. He had reason enough to stay away from Kilgrave ,but it wasn't to terrible.The fact that they are not introducing Shang Chi at some point makes me sad.

You'd think that Marvel making a Shang Chi film for the Chinese market would be a priority for them ,but nope.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

PantsBandit posted:

Why does Luke just bail at the end? First he's insisting on saving Jessica and then gets talked out of it, then won't even stick around to see her? Sort of came out of left field.

Not really. Kilgrave made him say that he forgave Jessica, but he didn't really. He even says as much during their fight.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drifter posted:

I think the kick of getting a shotgun bullet to the underjaw, where there is relatively little muscle, banged up his insides enough to knock him out.

Yeah, important thing to remember with Luke Cage is that his skin is supernaturally resilient but blunt force trauma still does a number on the squishy bits inside.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I liked this show. Support group revolt and Supermax plan were extremely dumb, and I wished her strength was a bit more consistent, but these are minor complaints given how strong it was overall. I worry about how they'll move on without Kilgrave given how integral he was here, though.

My favorite bad line was "It didn't cut" during the bar fight in episode 2 - dude's delivery forced me to pause the show. Luke Cage needs to come out immediately, and I'll be interested to see how the integrate Jessica into his story.

Also, If you're an older black man in Hell's Kitchen and a superhero comes your way, you're pretty much dead already. Please pray for Frankie Faison, everyone.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

Not really. Kilgrave made him say that he forgave Jessica, but he didn't really. He even says as much during their fight.

Oh come on, Luke isn't going to just flat out say "Woah you thought I forgave you? AS IF!" Even if he hasn't really forgiven her, I don't think we can assume one way or the other because of something he says while under Kilgrave's influence.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

He may have still been under the influence of Kilgrave? Is that possible ? Towards the end we don't know how powerful Kilgrave was he said to Jessica before he got the last injection his unfluence lasted more than 24 hours. So it's possible he was like " Kill Jessica, but if you fail etc.. leave her"

Something like that maybe?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hollismason posted:

He may have still been under the influence of Kilgrave? Is that possible ? Towards the end we don't know how powerful Kilgrave was he said to Jessica before he got the last injection his unfluence lasted more than 24 hours. So it's possible he was like " Kill Jessica, but if you fail etc.. leave her"

Something like that maybe?

Everyone at the dock stopped being under his control when he died.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

double negative posted:

I liked this show. Support group revolt and Supermax plan were extremely dumb, and I wished her strength was a bit more consistent, but these are minor complaints given how strong it was overall. I worry about how they'll move on without Kilgrave given how integral he was here, though.

The Supermax plan was bad but it was basically the best plan they could have come up with that works around his ridiculous powers assuming they didn't want to just murder him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Everyone at the dock stopped being under his control when he died.

Oh you are right, but he did leave before Jessica contronted Kilgrave. I dunno it wouldn't surpise me.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The Sharmat posted:

They''ve dealt with PTSD but they brought up the IGH stuff and the origins of Jessica's abilities, so they have an excuse to do survivor's guilt next.

My prediction: the metaphor for an IGH plotline will be the politics of abortion.

The implication is obviously that IGH experimented on Jessica post-accident to turn her into a superhero. "My body, my choice," is a pretty clear subtext to that dilemma since there was clearly no consent, and a plot where Jessica investigates those experiments could probably tie pretty organically to the S1 plot while preserving the sense of feminist critique the show employs.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't actually get the logistics of the Luke Cage control thing at all. Can someone explain it like I'm super dumb?

So Kilgrave actually did find out about Luke's unbreakable skin when Luke tried to attack him that first time, even though the flashback didn't show that? And so he said "Make it seem like I tried to kill you in an explosion, and then wait until after the previous time limit that is no longer the current time limit has passed, and then say that you forgive Jessica in these specific lines of dialogue that I'm giving you now, and then betray her at the last second and kill her however many hours later?"

It seems...really, really contrived.

Heck, what if someone forgets what Kilgrave told to get them to do, simply because it was so complicated?

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 24, 2015

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

My Q-Face posted:

IGH seems like something they want to follow up on, but between that and the other child experimentation (that's what IGH is about for Jessica), it seems natural thread for the Nick Cage series

Child experimentation could be a plausible explanation for Nick Cage and I'm just glad Marvel is finally making him a canonical member of the MCU.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I also think that Luke, as distinct from Simpson, was emotionally stable enough to realize when he woke up that his attempt to get Kilgrave had only complicated things and that if he went after him again it was likely to end with him under his control again and attacking Jessica once more. He knew Jessica was immune (I think he knew that?) and was mature enough to know that despite being bigger and stronger than her that didn't necessarily make him better suited to "solve" the problem.

Simpson kept looking to retake control/regain his sense of power (if only over his own destiny) and screwing things up - I'd like to think that Luke was able to accept his powerlessness and step aside for a better suited person to do it for him, without feeling like that in some way reflected poorly on his manhood.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Edit: Yeah that's spot on about Luke I think.

Xealot posted:

My prediction: the metaphor for an IGH plotline will be the politics of abortion.

The implication is obviously that IGH experimented on Jessica post-accident to turn her into a superhero. "My body, my choice," is a pretty clear subtext to that dilemma since there was clearly no consent, and a plot where Jessica investigates those experiments could probably tie pretty organically to the S1 plot while preserving the sense of feminist critique the show employs.

I don't think the show is an exclusively feminist critique and to say that glosses over the effort they took to show so many different kinds of abuse, abuse victims, abusers, and reactions to said abuse.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Xealot posted:

gosh I hope so

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I don't actually get the logistics of the Luke Cage control thing at all. Can someone explain it like I'm super dumb?

So Kilgrave actually did find out about Luke's unbreakable skin when Luke tried to attack him that first time, even though the flashback didn't show that? And so he said "Make it seem like I tried to kill you in an explosion, and then wait until after the previous time limit that is no longer the current time limit has passed, and then say that you forgive Jessica in these specific lines of dialogue that I'm giving you now, and then betray her at the last second and kill her however many hours later?"

It seems...really, really contrived.

Heck, what if someone forgets what Kilgrave told to get them to do, simply because it was so complicated?

The flashback only portrayed Luke's lie to Jessica. We don't know how much of that was even true.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah unlike Simpson Luke specifically avoids Kilgrave and when Jessica tells Luke her plan he says " Good for you".

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

The Sharmat posted:

The Supermax plan was bad but it was basically the best plan they could have come up with that works around his ridiculous powers assuming they didn't want to just murder him.

How so? Doesn't seem like it'd be all that hard for him to get around, or even exploit her imprisonment.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Again, it's not good. I just can't really think of anything better if we're operating under the assumption that just using a sniper rifle is not an option.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Now that at least two of the Defenders have secretaries, I hope there's some lighthearted scenes between them in Defenders.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Aphrodite posted:

The flashback only portrayed Luke's lie to Jessica. We don't know how much of that was even true.
That is...well, dumb. Flashbacks portrayed in live action only show what actually happened, or should only show that. Jessica isn't seeing Luke's flashback, the audience is. If the gist is that Luke told her a fake story then they should've just had Luke tell her about it verbally, without the flashback.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The flashback was only to Luke in the car with Kilgrave he doesn't go into it anymore than that. People saying it shouldn't have focused on Kilgrave as much ,but seriously if anything it had to. He's such a present threat that you do pretty much have to ignore everything else. Jessica only elected to help that one client because she thought Kilgraver sent her.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Nothing in the flashback contradicted whatever Kilgrave may have ordered Luke to do afterwards. And he could easily have given a broad order like "secretly work for me. Also, express my love to her with these lines I wrote for her."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The Sharmat posted:

I don't think the show is an exclusively feminist critique and to say that glosses over the effort they took to show so many different kinds of abuse, abuse victims, abusers, and reactions to said abuse.

I didn't say it's exclusively a feminist critique, that's just a prominent fixture of its chosen themes.

I'm not entirely sure how Netflix Marvel can organically keep their series walled gardens, though. Daredevil was barely mentioned at all in this show, but Luke and Jessica are so intertwined at this point, I can't imagine Luke Cage not incorporating her pretty substantially. And now that Claire is in the mix, I can't imagine Daredevil will be able to ignore the existence of either Luke *or* Jessica. It's the "why don't they just call Tony Stark?" problem, but with people who live a stop away on the ACE. I can only imagine Defenders will be a slow build, starting with cameo roles for this or that reason across the remaining series going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think Defenders is only going to be 6 episodes.