Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the knick is so goddamned good. this golden age of tv rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

hunger games: mocking jay 2 is pretty good. probably my fave of the series and a great finale. seems pretty bold that a big hollywood movie would deal with some of the themes.

couple WTF moments though:

how the gently caress do the swamp people sneak up on them in the sewer. these things seem like mindless zombies with teeth. they look around the area, all clear, it's totally silent in an echoey sewer, then bam, they jump from the shadows.

and what the gently caress are they? and if they're genetically modified, brainless people, why the gently caress doesn't the capital use them for labour instead of the districts? genetically engineer a zombie to mine for coal and poo poo. drat.

i've been asking ti through the whole series, but really now, how do the TVs work. Katniss goes and tries to rescue people in District 2 then we see she's being broadcast live to Snow? is there like 1 TV station in this world and the rebels and the capital just take turns hijacking it?

the security cameras show the Capital that katniss is in that cathedral-style apartment place. they send troops to attack, but don't see her on the camera when she leave the scene and hides across the way, even though it's in the exact same place picked up by the camera before.

honestly really good movie though and deals with issues like violence and imperialism more than many sci-fis and certainly big blockbuster ones.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the reason for those things is that Suzanne Collins is a bad writer, hth

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
the zombie things are called "mutts", that's actually the name for any genetically modified thing the capitol makes apparently, like the mutant dogs from the first movie

you'll also notice that that's what katniss calls peeta earlier in the film. I thought it was the typical "government dog" insult at first but it takes on a new meaning in the context of the film

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i'm guessing the bees or whatever are also GMO.

oh here's another thing

when they explain the holo ("pod" detector) thing, they say 3 times that "these are only the pods we know about, there could be more." well, they never actually find and pods that are not on the holo map. really seems like they were trying to foreshadow and then didn't. strong feeling there is a deleted scene or two here.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

pseudorandom name posted:

does the Kindle version faithfully reproduce the tits drawing?

the audiobook version has John Malkovich describing every picture aloud

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

will someone please report back on The Expanse, I read the books but despite how simple they were I feel like syfy can't translate it to film

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
"a bosom that made men dream of peace and plenty forever" is still one of my favorite phrases of all time

yeah I know it wasn't from slaughterhouse 5

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
finished house of Suns this morning

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Man in the High Castle on amazon is extremely mediocre

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shaggar posted:

Man in the High Castle on amazon is extremely mediocre

so best scifi on tv? :v:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
finished jessica jones, it was p great

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

finished jessica jones, it was p great

I thought it was going to be a mediocre dark angel "girl strong" story but then the plot kicked and and welp

i think im on ep 5 now?

dank stuff

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Jessica Jones is alright but you have to ignore that it takes place in the Disney's Marvel's Comic Universe because if it does then it makes no sense

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i have no knowledge of those or any other comic books but i figure that so much poo poo is going on in the mcu that there's no possible way it's all mutually consistent

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
there are a few references to the avengers and "the green guy" and the "flag bearer" but jj is mostly a standalone thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well I just meant that the idea that people know about the existence of super heroes and aliens doesn't jive with the "nobody believes me!" aspect.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trig Discipline posted:

i have no knowledge of those or any other comic books but i figure that so much poo poo is going on in the mcu that there's no possible way it's all mutually consistent

there's a decent amount of tie in for daredevil

the main villain there is getting rich by rebuilding new york after the alien invasion in avengers

and yeah the mcu is mostly "consistent" in the sense that nothing directly contradicts it, but tonally stuff is all over the place

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
daredevil's bad guy makes a load of sense and its a much better written show given what I am sure are strict requirements for tie-ins

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
the first episode of the expanse was pretty good. pacing, graphics and casting was decent, none of the actors felt like they should be back on the streets sucking dick for auditions which is nice for a syfy show

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Yeah the problem with Jessica Jones being in the mcu is that even if you just stick with the television stuff, "there's a powered individual terrorizing new York with his mind control" should be like priority #1 for Coulson et al, and they'd have it solved in like half an episode

I just pretend it's a standalone thing. Not everything has to be tied in and crossed over with everything else

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
tonally all over the place is very deliberate. each individual property is for a different audience segment to cast the widest net and there are plenty of people who won't bother with the movies' overinflated world at stake action melodrama but might like a dark, hard R character piece

haveblue fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 24, 2015

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Yeah the problem with Jessica Jones being in the mcu is that even if you just stick with the television stuff, "there's a powered individual terrorizing new York with his mind control" should be like priority #1 for Coulson et al, and they'd have it solved in like half an episode

I just pretend it's a standalone thing. Not everything has to be tied in and crossed over with everything else

right. also the cop that tried to kill your friend and who you have footage of trying to kill your friend is pretty much the exact witness carrie-anne moss said you needed at the start of the episode. and its way more than enough for the press to get interested, let alone shield or any other of the 100 super hero orgs.

ive only watched to the end of the 3rd ep tho so maybe she wises up and finds the cop she sent home

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

haveblue posted:

tonally all over the place is very deliberate. each individual property is for a different audience segment to cast the widest net and there are plenty of people who won't bother with the movies' overinflated world at stake action melodrama but might like a dark, hard R character piece

yeah but there's no reason for it to be the same universe then

like DC has a separate tv & film universe because 99% of the time there's no reason for dudes from film to come to TV or vice versa

of course they then do dumb things like remove TV characters from rotation when they want to use them in the films, but that's not a requirement

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
who cares about shared universes and canon. they are made up stories with their own tones and narratives

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not just the films, the shows themselves cant be in the same universes.

altho daredevil does a pretty good job w/ it as the people of hells kitchen have been abandoned by everyone including the superheroes. the core theme is good and bad are everywhere and they don't require superpowers. that lets them ignore the mcu because the mcu ignores them.

Jessica Jones would be a single episode of shield where at the end dr who is locked up somewhere with a mind shield macguffin and the last scene would be foreshadowing his future escape.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
shield is a bad show

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
imo Jessica Jones should go around beating up all the bicyclists

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Actually, it is the entire Marvel Comic Universe that is bad.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

shield is a bad show

haven't watched any of the new season. saw the first two and didn't hate them after about halfway through the first one, but then the new one started and i was just like "yeah but there's so much actual GOOD tv right now that i can't be hosed to watch something mediocre"

also gave up on watching nikita for the exact same reason

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I only finished the first season cause people said it got better cause of captain america 2 but it really didn't get better.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Amethyst posted:

who cares about shared universes and canon. they are made up stories with their own tones and narratives

at the date posted:

Actually, it is the entire Marvel Comic Universe that is bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if the second season of daredevil is terrible and full of tie-ins

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats their secret. They're always bad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shaggar posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the second season of daredevil is terrible and full of tie-ins

he's supposed to fight the punisher so probably

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
punisher atleast fits the theme so that's maybe not too bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SynthOrange posted:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Fargo has been pretty sci-fi this season and is also the best show on tv so you should all be watching it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

this is a month too late to be relevant, but:

i watched The Martian. and then i read The Martian.

i liked the movie better than the book. the book is extremely "tell" and the movie really benefits from adding "show" wherever it can.

i nejoyed the part at the end of the book where Watney says "if this were a movie i'd be high-fiving everyone in the airlock" because that's exactly what happens in the movie. i also liked the part where Martinez says "i thought you liked mexican".

anyway, those are some words i wrote. peace.

• Locked thread