Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
http://youtu.be/C2q2bis6eLE

Also, it occurs to me that there is a far more natural solution to this whole MiniNova v. Microbrute issue. K. Davis simply hasn't matured to this point yet.

You don't call around music stores and look for the best price on a new Microbrute. You wait and you wait and then you buy one for $160 from a guy with a degree in Russian Lit who sells weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

I've got a spare ticket for Autechre at the Electric in Brixton tonight :nomates: If anyone wants it let me know

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
How much to just burn it

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

wayfinder posted:

How much to just burn it

:eyepop:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

http://youtu.be/C2q2bis6eLE

Also, it occurs to me that there is a far more natural solution to this whole MiniNova v. Microbrute issue. K. Davis simply hasn't matured to this point yet.

You don't call around music stores and look for the best price on a new Microbrute. You wait and you wait and then you buy one for $160 from a guy with a degree in Russian Lit who sells weed.

I do not sell weed nor have a degree in Russian lit thankyouverymuch

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I had an Electribe EMX for a while to see if I liked step sequencing. While I did, I couldn't get into the sounds available and it sounded the wrong kind of old. I'm going to wait for a Monomachine to show up used but in the meantime, is spending money on an rm1x worth it? I'm way more familiar with Yamaha's synths than Korg's and I'm wondering if the sound palette will make it worth it for the minimal price, or is it tossing good money after bad? On paper it looks to be a better buy than the EMX but it's money I don't technically need to spend but I like step sequencing and can't justify investing in any Elektron equipment with Christmas around the corner.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I do not sell weed nor have a degree in Russian lit thankyouverymuch

I'm actually in the market for another Microbrute, if you wanna PM tho. You have a white one, right? Any chance it comes with the gig bag?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm actually in the market for another Microbrute, if you wanna PM tho. You have a white one, right? Any chance it comes with the gig bag?

I'm gonna give it to you straight buddy, I've been playing with that gig bag equipped white Microbrute SE for a few days now. It rules. My apologies.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So with the Mother 32 and now the Roland modules released, hypothetically speaking if I were to build a small modular which one would be better and why?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What are your plans for the English Tear?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tayter Swift posted:

What are your plans for the English Tear?

Fully integrate my MS-20 into it since with that I'll have 2 semi-modular synths with the Mother 32 to use as oscillators, filters, or modulation sources. Also, the 32 can sequence the MS-20.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 23, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Gotcha. For what it's worth, I've had great success using the MS20's oscillators via the TOTAL jacks at the top, with the T.EXT knob set to about 9 or so. No need to convert to Hz/V or any of that nonsense.

Mind you I've only tried setting pitch -- haven't screwed around with triggers and all that, but I might soon -- it'd be nice to have a HPF before the Moog's LPF.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
first time flying with my eurorack suitcase. got some additional scrutiny (explosives screen) but overall pretty painless. they didn't even ask what it was.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Yes, this case containing $7,000 worth of electronics is something I intend to detonate...

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Just got word that Roland Australia have pushed back delivery of the Boutique modules to January 2016.
Which is a bit pathetic really.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

A Winner is Jew posted:

So with the Mother 32 and now the Roland modules released, hypothetically speaking if I were to build a small modular which one would be better and why?

Bottom one is more synthesizer but the top one is more interesting imo. I would consider replacing the maths with maybe like a 4ms pingable envelope generator or a MI peaks + some other things, maybe a clock divider of some sort?

In other news the spectral madness mode on clouds is fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3AiDkxDJAE

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I think the top one would give a bit more variety to the sound (the bottom one feels more like a Moog complete voice and a Roland one), but both would make some good sounds I'm sure. I've had Elements for a while and I keep feeling like I'm using it for the same stuff, so I'm not sure if that lack of variety is the module or me; assume it's me for now.

Finally got to play around on the Mother 32 this weekend for about 30-40 minutes; nobody there really had the sequencer figured out so we didn't get to play with that too much beyond play/stop but as a synth voice it sounds pretty good and you can get a good variety of sounds from it. The patch matrix is a bit unintuitive for me but YMMV. Overall it feels like a really solid synth block - probably not something I immediately need given I've got an assortment of voices already but it sounds good (even when not drenched in reverb like most demos) and is a great value for the buck.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

For modular folks, is there any feature or features that makes the Mother-32 more desirable than say an Intelijel Atlantis or anything similar out there? I want one as an analog voice for my electribes to sequence, and because I think it does bass better than my other mostly digital gear does. I mean, are modular folks looking to get a Moog sounding voice, or just the filter, or is it just a value thing?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Thanks for all the feedback so far, but one more question... what's a good 9U case that I can buy and don't have to worry about power supplies or anything like that?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

AxeBreaker posted:

For modular folks, is there any feature or features that makes the Mother-32 more desirable than say an Intelijel Atlantis or anything similar out there? I want one as an analog voice for my electribes to sequence, and because I think it does bass better than my other mostly digital gear does. I mean, are modular folks looking to get a Moog sounding voice, or just the filter, or is it just a value thing?

Mother-32 has a built in 32-step sequencer with memory, midi-to-CV (very important if you're sequencing from an Electribe), a "keyboard" built in and can be bought as a standalone powered/cased module with a dedicated integrated output jack. And it's cheaper than the Atlantis (at least the prices I scanned for it). if you want an Atlantis you're going to have to shell out for two of the four above things to get it to work with an Electribe anyway. The voices will be different sounding, and obviously that's a personal choice, but as a value proposition the Mother 32 is almost impossible to match with the current price of things.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Thanks for all the feedback so far, but one more question... what's a good 9U case that I can buy and don't have to worry about power supplies or anything like that?

Always the best answer to "Which 6U setup is better" :)

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 24, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

stillvisions posted:

Always the best answer to "Which 6U setup is better" :)

It's mostly that there are a ton of options and I really wouldn't want to go down the wrong path since modular is retard expensive.

I mean looking at this based off of peoples recommendations:

That's $3k without a case which I can get this verbose system (which from demo's looks amazing, like a hybrid buchla/euro) for and then I could just add an FH-1 for ipad sequencing and English Tear to for ms-20 integration.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

A Winner is Jew posted:

I really wouldn't want to go down the wrong path since modular is retard expensive.

Unless you forget to get an oscillator/sound source then there really isnt a wrong path. you can get the verbos system and theres enough room for an elements, and the mother 32 can be standalone. You can also sell a couple modules and swap them out as you use it and learn more about what they do / you want.

I'd be hard pressed to justify loosing that much rack space to a mother 32, if i got one it'd stay outside of the case.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Had my first serious love-in with the OP-1 last night, pulling stuff off of FM radio into the tape is not nearly as gimmicky as I thought it would be, and is actually really interesting, especially when overdubbing onto a loop. Also the synths are cool, getting more of the hang of the flow of the thing now.

There's been love for the TNR-i on iOS, and I'm about to get it, but there's also this TNR-e thing, which is, as far as I can tell, basically the same app with different sounds "for dance music and dub step", and a black & red color scheme? For the same price? Anyone used it?

Also, anyone with iMASCHINE 2, does that work with MASCHINE 1.x, or just MASCHINE 2.x on the PC side?

Thanks!

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

stillvisions posted:

Mother-32 has a built in 32-step sequencer with memory, midi-to-CV (very important if you're sequencing from an Electribe), a "keyboard" built in and can be bought as a standalone powered/cased module with a dedicated integrated output jack. And it's cheaper than the Atlantis (at least the prices I scanned for it). if you want an Atlantis you're going to have to shell out for two of the four above things to get it to work with an Electribe anyway. The voices will be different sounding, and obviously that's a personal choice, but as a value proposition the Mother 32 is almost impossible to match with the current price of things.

I know why it would work for me, I was more interested in why people are including it in their modular setups when there are similar complete voice modules out there. Value is as good a reason as any, just wondering if there was something more qualitative, like having a real Moog filter as opposed to a clone.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

AxeBreaker posted:

I know why it would work for me, I was more interested in why people are including it in their modular setups when there are similar complete voice modules out there. Value is as good a reason as any, just wondering if there was something more qualitative, like having a real Moog filter as opposed to a clone.

Good sequencer with some nice features (glide), real moog filter, plus a bunch of other things like standard lfo/env/midi in one package that's dirt cheep in a module with that many features.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

AxeBreaker posted:

For me, I really wanted a Moog style filter and I "needed" some of the utility to round out my case: sequencer, mid->cv, another buffered multi, noise. The price was too good to pass up considering I also get (admittedly less featureful) osc, lfo & envelope basically for free. Interestingly, I had planned to put it into my case but it looks nice enough that I'll keep it as it came since that opens up 60hp in my case...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bolange posted:

Interestingly, I had planned to put it into my case but it looks nice enough that I'll keep it as it came since that opens up 60hp in my case...

...and sets you up to get a second/third one with the scaffolds down the road to make yourself a lil' ministack.

Then you can use them to make an EP called Bolange Has Two Mommies (at least that's what I'd do).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Some mighty sweet pre-Black Friday deals here (crossposted in iOS-specific thread):

http://discchord.com/blog/2015/11/25/app-sales-black-wednesday.html

This list has already changed between Tuesday and Wednesday so expect several refreshes over the next two days, and probably on Cyber Monday(ugh) too.

If history repeats itself and we get lucky you can expect to see all of the Korg apps on that list come Friday. Gadget is totally worth $20 if you have an iPad.

(It's not doubleposting if it's been a day, right?)

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Control is doing 10% off everything but their cases and used stuff iirc. PCA 'up to 30%' off. Noisebug 15% in-stock plus email them for super secret deals (stuff priced below MAP). Synthcube is 15%. His prices seem higher than Thonk even after shipping across the pond so double check stock and pricing at Thonk before ordering.

Have a happy thanksgiving :beerpal:

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Synthrotek is also 10% off everything (except cases) + free shipping through Sunday

I feel like an idiot for ordering something from them and Synthcube just last week.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

good jovi posted:

I feel like an idiot for ordering something from them and Synthcube just last week.

Don't get anything that electrons flow through that close to Black Friday.
For the three reasoners still around, $99 upgrade special going all the way back to v1 right now. I'm going to jump back in I think.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hoping against hope that someone has the JU-06 on sale, but I know fat chance on a just-released product.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Hoping against hope that someone has the JU-06 on sale, but I know fat chance on a just-released product.

You might be able to apply a storewide coupon or deal to it. Depends on Roland's retailer policies, I guess.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You might be able to apply a storewide coupon or deal to it. Depends on Roland's retailer policies, I guess.

Roland and Boss are usually really stingy about their products never being discounted, but yeah I've seen adds saying that the XA can have store discounts applied to it at I think GC so always try that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Moog (66% off) and Virsyn (50% off) apps are now on sale.

Firo is free (normally $20).

Lotsa other new discounted apps too. Just, like, quadrupled the size of my virtual "rack" while watching football.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Traded my Mopho desktop for a Reface DX today. I never found myself really using the Mopho after getting my fill of its programming paradigm.

The Reface is not bad, and the interface isn't as awful as I expected. The architecture doesn't suck too bad, but I find the feedback to impart a sameyness, but I guess that makes it predictable. I never used a DX with different waveforms so maybe this is old ground. 1 LFO still makes no sense to me, though.

Being able to make SoundBlaster / Genesis style FX while on the couch makes it 100% worth it. Would trade again.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

sliderule posted:

Traded my Mopho desktop for a Reface DX today. I never found myself really using the Mopho after getting my fill of its programming paradigm.

The Reface is not bad, and the interface isn't as awful as I expected. The architecture doesn't suck too bad, but I find the feedback to impart a sameyness, but I guess that makes it predictable. I never used a DX with different waveforms so maybe this is old ground. 1 LFO still makes no sense to me, though.

Being able to make SoundBlaster / Genesis style FX while on the couch makes it 100% worth it. Would trade again.

I like mine! Still trying to get my head around how to get weird glassy leads and glitchy bass and percussion. Every drat tutorial is written for VST's these days, or DX 7 for really old stuff.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Moog (66% off) and Virsyn (50% off) apps are now on sale.

Firo is free (normally $20).

Lotsa other new discounted apps too. Just, like, quadrupled the size of my virtual "rack" while watching football.

Haha, I installed Firo yesterday and was surprised how good it was for a free app. I didn't realize it was normally paid. I really like the layout for changing between scales.

Real content:
Waves Trueverb is free today, via waves.com. I don't think I've played with a pro grade reverb plug ever so this should be interesting.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

AxeBreaker posted:

I like mine! Still trying to get my head around how to get weird glassy leads and glitchy bass and percussion. Every drat tutorial is written for VST's these days, or DX 7 for really old stuff.

Glassy - high ratio modulator, high modulation depth should get you in the right direction.

Glitchy bass + percussion - check out the pitch EG. Try applying it to only the modulators, or only one of them.

Edit: The only thing that's really bugging me about the architecture is that the keyboard level/rate scaling split point is fixed at C3. Microtuning would have been great, but just being able to move the split point would go a long way.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Korg apps and expansions are all 50% off until December 28.

And goon-made classics TC-11 and TC Data are both :10bux: (down $15 and $10, respectively).

Good day for portable softsynths. Meh day for my wallet.