Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

VolticSurge posted:

So,I just grabbed The Consuming Shadow,because it seemed interesting. Did I gently caress up,or is there fun to be had?

there is fun to be had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Ekster posted:

Note that most of Tale of Tales games were funded by art grants from the Belgium government, not because they were actually succesful afaik.

That's a strange complaint because it's common for art projects (that includes movies) to receive public funding in Europe.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

saucerman posted:

That's a strange complaint because it's common for art projects (that includes movies) to receive public funding in Europe.

And most art projects are pretty lovely anyways, so it's really just par for the course.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

saucerman posted:

Mostly because they had a huge meltdown about how the gaming community was going down the tubes because it was no longer supporting them when it had never supported them to begin with.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Mostly because they had a huge meltdown about how the gaming community was going down the tubes because it was no longer supporting them when it had never supported them to begin with.

Who cares?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Ekster posted:

Note that most of Tale of Tales games were funded by art grants from the Belgium government, not because they were actually succesful afaik.

Uwe Boll left one hell of a legacy, didn't he.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Voidspire Tactics I believed in you, and then you crashed because you have trouble calculating electricity being conducted over water tiles.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

saucerman posted:

I don't understand your point but I'm well aware that it's normal in Europe since I live there. It's a policy that gives genuinely good artists a bit of support when they are just starting out but it unfortunately also enables a lot of talentless hacks. Politics aside you'd think Tale of Tales, if they had any merit, would've been able to secure funding outside of grants after releasing multiple games by now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I've said it before but Sunset was a really neat idea that probably would have done well enough if Tale of Tales weren't hacks.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Can someone just tell me the ending to Sunset because I've heard vague statements that it's the most trolly thing ever but there's like no way of looking it up.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

mycot posted:

Can someone just tell me the ending to Sunset because I've heard vague statements that it's the most trolly thing ever but there's like no way of looking it up.

I think I own that and I have a few days off this week, I'll install that tonight.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002
Shadow Warrior unfortunately runs out of legs quite quickly in terms of gameplay variety, and the limited backdrop of the levels do not provide any respite from the repetitive nature of the game. I had a blast for the first few hours but then nothing new came along and I was left to slog through the cookie cutter levels for far too long. I really shouldn't have bothered finishing it. Guilty of wanting to like it I guess.

You hope that the sequel gets those things right or at the very least makes it shorter.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just finished Telltale's Game of Thrones game, and Hahahahaha gently caress you Telltale, you lovely bastards.

It was a pretty solid Telltale game, but it was literally half a story. In true GRRM fashion they managed to make a GoT entry that completely did not manage to tell a complete story. Telltale didn't leave you with a cliffhanger at the end of the season, they actually just stopped the story midway through.

You wanna play a GoT game? The GoT rpg from Spiders is the best one, then this one. Those are the only two GoT games I know of, though.

Telltale made a pretty Game of Thronesy game here, but managed to give a big gently caress you to everyone and decided that if you wanted a complete story, you'd buy the second season. Shitfuckers.

Story-wise, this game sorta felt like an exercise in futility. That's not necessarily the bad part, tragedy can be interesting - the bad part was that it was incredibly contrived futility. All in all, what was there was okay, but it just wasn't interesting or captivating like TotBorderlands or TWalking Dead. By the end I was just like...":shrug: ehhh yup that's over now, I guess".

I'm not going to bother with season 2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/420740/ amusing short cyoa where you must kill your sister. 10 minutes but you can ofc replay it to see what else you can pull off

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/420740/ amusing short cyoa where you must kill your sister. 10 minutes but you can ofc replay it to see what else you can pull off

Now you kill the yandere.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Ekster posted:

I don't understand your point but I'm well aware that it's normal in Europe since I live there. It's a policy that gives genuinely good artists a bit of support when they are just starting out but it unfortunately also enables a lot of talentless hacks. Politics aside you'd think Tale of Tales, if they had any merit, would've been able to secure funding outside of grants after releasing multiple games by now.

So what if they didn't secure funding outside of grants? Who cares. Tale of Tales moved on so you should, too.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

saucerman posted:

So what if they didn't secure funding outside of grants? Who cares. Tale of Tales moved on so you should, too.

I'm not sure if you noticed this, but we discuss bad games in this thread on occasion. We may also touch on the circumstances and ramifications of producing bad games, if we are so inclined.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

did they make a game about schizophrenia?

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm not sure if you noticed this, but we discuss bad games in this thread on occasion. We may also touch on the circumstances and ramifications of producing bad games, if we are so inclined.

"discuss"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

saucerman posted:

The conversation was actually about how Tale of Tales did not move on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ghostlight posted:

You can't expect him to actually read a thread AND post in it. I mean, really, it's not like he's Superman or Jesus or something.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Ghostlight posted:

They make art, they can never just move past and heal.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

mycot posted:

I haven't heard of this one but if you want to hear about the most extreme troll artsy ending look up Secrets of Rætikon. I almost couldn't believe it when I was witnessing it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

I haven't heard of this one but if you want to hear about the most extreme troll artsy ending look up Secrets of Rætikon. I almost couldn't believe it when I was witnessing it.
Was that the game that tried to make a point about exploiting nature by using Pong?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

anilEhilated posted:

Was that the game that tried to make a point about exploiting nature by using Pong?
Yes in the final epic sequence you sacrifice all the animals that you released during the game and the screen just switches to pong. There is absolutely no build-up to that whatsoever but you should weep at humanity destroying nature for entertainment and you're guilty, you're playing a game you monster. It was such a cheap shot at profundity completely removed from the narrative and the game's esthetic that I could only laugh at it.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Games are art.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

Yes in the final epic sequence you sacrifice all the animals that you released during the game and the screen just switches to pong. There is absolutely no build-up to that whatsoever but you should weep at humanity destroying nature for entertainment and you're guilty, you're playing a game you monster. It was such a cheap shot at profundity completely removed from the narrative and the game's esthetic that I could only laugh at it.

Was this the game where you fly around and collect birds and triangles or something

It was interesting, but I stopped because it was getting grindy and I wasn't that big a fan of Ecco, which it's pretty similar to

Wtf, why is autocorrect autocapitalizing Ecco

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Assassins Creed Syndicate early thoughts:

It is pretty fun, and looks REALLY pretty. There are little splashes of color and texture everywhere. It seems like a little bit more of a stealth game than previous titles; enemies now are able to hear noises you make moving around or killin dudes. However, it's still trivial to clean up your messes if you get caught.

My only complaint is that it feels like the game skipped a cutscene. On the way into London, Jacob is all,
"I'm gonna found a totally bitchin street gang. With uniforms. We're gonna call ourselves the Rooks. That is my man child dream."
Then, after completing my first post-intro mission, the facility I took over just got swarmed by like dozens of Rooks in full uniform. Like, the game just kinda skipped that gang getting formed :psyduck:

Other than that, though, it's been pretty cool so far.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

duckfarts posted:

Wtf, why is autocorrect autocapitalizing Ecco

Same reason that mine corrects and autocaps "Applebee's" or "GameStop". Welcome to out cyberpunk corporate overlord future.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

deadly_pudding posted:

My only complaint is that it feels like the game skipped a cutscene. On the way into London, Jacob is all,
"I'm gonna found a totally bitchin street gang. With uniforms. We're gonna call ourselves the Rooks. That is my man child dream."
Then, after completing my first post-intro mission, the facility I took over just got swarmed by like dozens of Rooks in full uniform. Like, the game just kinda skipped that gang getting formed :psyduck:

He doesn't really form the gang as much as force the Blighters to join his side, from what I remember.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
lol "Guys, I don't think this AssCreed plot seems very cohesive."

:laugh:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Drifter posted:

lol "Guys, I don't think this AssCreed plot seems very cohesive."

:laugh:

It's usually pretty coherent, though? AC 2-4 pretty much kept their poo poo together, quality of that poo poo aside.

Anyway, it doesn't distract from what I actually come to an AssCreed for, which is climbing buildings and getting historical figures to say Famous Quotes to me. I think the series hit peak "Forrest Gump" in 3, when Ben Franklin told Hatham Kenway like his full treatise on the benefits of loving older women, as though it was a prepared speech, just to make small talk when they first met by chance in town. The scene is fantastic, and Kenway is just kind of enduring it all, "Yeah, that's great. I'll keep that in mind, guy."

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
The first people Jacob recruited weren't blighters, but like the local gang that was being overrun by the blighters. They were already in green. Jacob comes in and is like "You work for me now."

Pretty much like Branding in SoM

Edit: They were called The Clinkers.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The main plot in London is good, but the modern day/ancient alien stuff makes no sense to me at all. The (spoiler for a "'bonus" area that opens later in the game) World War I stuff contains all kinds of dumb exposition from the alien ghost computer whatever.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

deadly_pudding posted:

It's usually pretty coherent, though? AC 2-4 pretty much kept their poo poo together, quality of that poo poo aside.

AC3 was actually a huge clusterfuck of "who the gently caress are these people and what do they have to do with anything?" (besides being drawn from the cliffnotes version of the American revolution)

In other news, anyone got a reasonably good explanation on why demos went the way of the dodo? So many games I'd love to try, and not a single one I can actually try out before buying.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Xander77 posted:

In other news, anyone got a reasonably good explanation on why demos went the way of the dodo? So many games I'd love to try, and not a single one I can actually try out before buying.

Demos require effort to make and we're pretty much proven to actually decrease sales of games.

With the advent of YouTube and twitch, you can see pretty much everything you would want from a game to make the purchasing decision yourself.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Demos largely went away due to them costing more sales than they drew in for the larger developers. There could be a lot of reasons behind that, such as the game actually being bad, the demo being bad, the demo being unrepresentative and so on. This combined with the increased development costs and times, they've been cut by almost all of the big players in the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Palpek posted:

There should already be a tag for games based on youtube celebrities because http://store.steampowered.com/app/403700/

Didn't Yahtzee design games before doing the video stuff? I remember playing some 2D game that was a lot like Gunpoint before Gunpoint ever existed

• Locked thread