Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I thought this was going to be a happy ending.

Sorry to hear about the bullshit larches :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Migishu posted:

Sorry to hear about the bullshit larches :(

It's not over yet! :unsmith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Migishu posted:

It kind of does.

This is the last E/N carepost I make on this topic, so let me try to get my point across.

My wife is clearly unhappy with our marriage. I can't fault her for her feelings. I can fault her for the lovely way she handled it, but it's happened, it's done, and being pissy and vindictive about it is going to accomplish nothing but making me pissy and vindictive. I, too, have been dissatisfied with our marriage, to a degree. I love her as much as I ever have, but the truth is that we rushed into our relationship as a double-rebound after her first divorce and the end of an eight year relationship with my ex-fiance.

We have very little in common. She's a country bumpkin Luddite married to a middle class, geeky city boy. Literally Country Mouse and City Mouse get hitched. When we're together, it's always kind of awkward with us trying to enjoy what the other does.

We have two children, one is nearly two and the other is 4 months. Kids are a never-ending, full-time job. It's stressful as poo poo trying to juggle the two of them, and there is absolutely no break from it at all. I love my children more than anything, but sometimes I just don't want to be around them, for my own sanity. I wake up at 5:00, keep them entertained until I leave for work at my lovely job, then come right back home and entertain them until they fall asleep. By then, I'm too exhausted to do anything else, but there's always dishes to wash, messes to straighten, and clothes to fold. We can get a portion of anything done before we physically can't do it anymore and pass out to start the process over again at 5:00.

Every day. There's no end to it. There's no respite. There's not even a light at the end of the tunnel where I can remind myself that if I can just hold onto my sanity for a few more days I'll get a break and can mow the lawn or just sit down and watch a single thirty minute television show.

It never ends and it's suffocating.

So, divorce. We claim joint custody of the children, which means we split our time with them evenly. Alternating weeks, or every two weeks, it means someone gets a break to do their own thing. I can move back to the "city" like I've always wanted to and get a swanky upscale apartment with my new job cash, she can stay in the country and bang whoever the flavor of the week is. Whatever makes her happy. She can find a guy that's into mud riding, country music, and rodeos, and I can focus on myself and maybe find a nice girl who's at least partly into nerd stuff. The kids are young enough that it won't completely gently caress them up, and I'm not going to be an absentee parent. I'm gonna be there every step of the way. Maybe one day I can get out of this place, but that's in the future and I gotta worry about now.

In the end, we both get to pursue what makes us happy, or what we've been lacking in our marriage, while getting court sanctioned breaks from the kids to take care of our personal biz. It's a lot less bleak than the current situation, to me, and I'm kind of excited about it :shrug:

Does any of that make sense?

TL;DR version is that it's a blessing in disguise, so stop feeling sorry for me. We're all gonna be happier for it, or at least I know I will be.

With that said, no word from CE, yet, but a quick update on how things are going:

Remember the HP Z-Series that was the catalyst for my exodus? The one I wanted to price out to replace a near-dead editor in the promotions department? The one CE said was a stupid idea and then spun into his own idea? The one he never ordered?

Guess which editor BURST INTO GODDAMN FLAMES THIS AFTERNOON.

The place is literally burning to the ground already, guys.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
... he never answered whether it was with the CE or not. :ohdear:

Stay strong, fellow single parent dad :smith::hf::smith:

Edit: oh, he just updated.

Kids are tough, Larches. I've kind of been down the same road you're on now. Send me a PM if you want someone to talk to about this.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 24, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

larchesdanrew posted:

Man it hasn't even been 24 hours.

Honestly sometimes I think you're just using this forum as a focus group for the soap opera you're writing. But for now I'll continue believing that all this poo poo is actually your life, and just say good for you for having such a hopeful outlook.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Che Delilas posted:

Man it hasn't even been 24 hours.

Honestly sometimes I think you're just using this forum as a focus group for the soap opera you're writing. But for now I'll continue believing that all this poo poo is actually your life, and just say good for you for having such a hopeful outlook.

I'd watch this soap opera, honestly :v: Good on you for seeing the silver lining in all the bullshit though, Larches. And it tickles a small but very important part of me that the CE's world is already literally bursting into flames without you to pour poo poo on :mmmhmm:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 24, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

It kind of does.

This is the last E/N carepost I make on this topic, so let me try to get my point across.

My wife is clearly unhappy with our marriage. I can't fault her for her feelings. I can fault her for the lovely way she handled it, but it's happened, it's done, and being pissy and vindictive about it is going to accomplish nothing but making me pissy and vindictive. I, too, have been dissatisfied with our marriage, to a degree. I love her as much as I ever have, but the truth is that we rushed into our relationship as a double-rebound after her first divorce and the end of an eight year relationship with my ex-fiance.

We have very little in common. She's a country bumpkin Luddite married to a middle class, geeky city boy. Literally Country Mouse and City Mouse get hitched. When we're together, it's always kind of awkward with us trying to enjoy what the other does.

Holy poo poo its like Im lookin in a mirror. Not too specifically, but broad strokes kind of thing.

Unrelated to what I just said, but if you wnated to save the thing, did you consider not bringing it up upfront and instead working it from a stealthier angle. Never saying you knew, but implying that maybe you did. This would be predicated on you giving a poo poo and wanting to keep the thing running.

I've been drinking and watching too much fargo/homeland.

If you end up in cleveland for a night on your journey to a new job I'll gladly offer a GoonBnB to you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Larches you're good people.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
Larches, when it's all said and done.

You are a Hero to me.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

larchesdanrew posted:

Does any of that make sense?

Dude, you're good people. Hope it all works out in the end.

larchesdanrew posted:

:eyepop:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Come to the east coast, there's a million production houses out here. I used to work for one in MD and I support a bunch in the New York Metro area. I know you were in broadcast but the jump to production wouldn't be too bad and I know WWE is hiring :v:

Disclaimer: you must be able to tolerate cold weather.

But really man, you are good people and props for not murderizing the CE though I doubt any jury would convict you.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
So a fresh start for you, larches. Never a bad thing.

Go get paid, put up with less bullshit, and work less hours. Enjoy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Fresh start works cleanly only for someone without kids.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

larchesdanrew posted:

Holy poo poo I just binge read all your posts ITT and all I can say is that I wish you all the best man, you deserve it after all that bullshit :stonkhat:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Fresh start works cleanly only for someone without kids.
Um, male privilege + child support

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I will never understand why people have kids.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

beep boop

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

Don't waste your money on me. If you gotta spend something, donate it to charity. I'm sure there's one for single parents or something.

That's what we're trying to get you to do so we can donate to a charity of a single parent. :shepspends:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

As a longtime lurker of this thread, it was a beautiful feeling as I was scrolling through my bookmarked threads and saw 231 new posts, and realized that today was Monday, and what that must mean. As I started reading today's pages I was giddy... then brought down just as quickly.

That's my report on reading this thread today.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

Somebody has gone out of his way to not read anything larches has posted..

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

KoRMaK posted:

I'm not sure if this is a joke post or not, but it's still a lovely thing to suggest.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

Remember the HP Z-Series that was the catalyst for my exodus? The one I wanted to price out to replace a near-dead editor in the promotions department? The one CE said was a stupid idea and then spun into his own idea? The one he never ordered?

:laffo: Jesus, literally 3 days removed from the job and things are going tits up in spectacular fashion. I was tempted to post the "that escalated quickly" Anchorman meme but I spent enough time away from SA while I was hospitalized (sad, I know). I know you said you didn't want to give away anything about your job - is there a way your "mole" can snap pictures of the things that break without including any incriminating details? I'd love a shot of the hallway of dead CFL bulbs and the charred shell of the editor box.

On the upside, glad you're looking at the personal/home situation positively for both parties, whether your wife will see it that way or not. It's a good starting point to recognize the flaws, see where things went sideways, and figure out the rest from there. You're a good dude and no doubt a great dad Larches, wish more people had the outlook and perspective you have during tough times. :cheers:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 24, 2015

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Seriously larches... get a damned paternity test.

I hope you find something else man, I cannot believe some of the stories in this thread, yours in particular. I've been in IT since 91 and the poo poo some of you put up with is loving mind-boggling.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Guys, he doesn't care about the paternity test, it doesn't matter to him. He's already said he's determined to love and raise these kids, why does it matter if they resulted from his wrigglers or the other guys?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
It seems to me that this whole sage is a start of a better life for you: some much needed freedom, a more agreeable workplace, ending an unhappy marriage. Sure it's all a bit poo poo now, but there's ample opportunity to create a better life for yourself and very little to nothing holding you back from doing so. Finally you can become that what you've always wanted: vigilante hackerman buffalo killer 3000!

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Erwin posted:

I will never understand why people have kids.

There's this weird thing that two people do together, let's call it something like "sex".

While having "sex", a woman can get pregnant and kids can ensue.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Haquer posted:

There's this weird thing that two people do together, let's call it something like "sex".

I read this in ulillillia's voice and that makes it even better.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Guys, he doesn't care about the paternity test, it doesn't matter to him. He's already said he's determined to love and raise these kids, why does it matter if they resulted from his wrigglers or the other guys?

Because it could affect the outcome of his custody determination?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It matters because if they aren't his then his medical history isn't relevant to them and. And that could cause some trouble in the future.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in.

From now on unless you are on the phone with a client or vendor all conversations are to be made over IM. Vocal conversations are to be kept to a minimum.

I.. I don't....

blackswordca clearly heard the call and is now back to lead us to the promised land of insanity and wtf workplace stories. (again, dear god some of you are cursed)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It matters because if they aren't his then his medical history isn't relevant to them and. And that could cause some trouble in the future.

Medical history is the only reason he should possibly want to do this, unless his lawyer suggests doing it for divorce related reasons.

He wants the kids in his life, don't keep making suggestions that he cut ties with them and move across the country because they're maybe not his.

Be the good dad those kids deserve, larchesdanrew :unsmith:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Haquer posted:

I'm no scientist but I'm fairly certain that not every instance of sex (often intervened with, we'll call them "contraceptives") can result in sex without children.

I'm with Erwin but I get it that people do want to.

And larches, let me know if you need anything so I can assist.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It'd be pretty cool if we could stick to "I'm sorry to hear that Larches" without devolving into redpill poo poo, tia

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It'd be pretty cool if we could stick to "I'm sorry to hear that Larches" without devolving into redpill poo poo, tia

This. Let's do this.

also: We have heat again! Let's play: "IT - The Sauna"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Either that, or rename the thread to the larchesdanrew support and life coach support network and move it to E/N

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

LordVorbis posted:

blackswordca clearly heard the call and is now back to lead us to the promised land of insanity and wtf workplace stories. (again, dear god some of you are cursed)

My money's on Dick Trauma being the newly-returned star of the thread before blackswordca is again.

All bets are off if the word 'entrapment' is involved. :v:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

DigitalRaven posted:

My money's on Dick Trauma being the newly-returned star of the thread before blackswordca is again.

All bets are off if the word 'entrapment' is involved. :v:

Yeah the writing seems to be on the wall again for Dick. Left off the org chart, boss giving him the cold shoulder, company not willing to spend on infrastructure to grow intelligently. Why do the IT gods find Dick Trauma's blood to be the sweetest of all?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah the writing seems to be on the wall again for Dick. Left off the org chart, boss giving him the cold shoulder, company not willing to spend on infrastructure to grow intelligently. Why do the IT gods find Dick Trauma's blood to be the sweetest of all?

Don't forget a bunch of people at his company, including the head of HR that felt it necessary to teach DT a "lesson", were fired recently. The company is in crazy turmoil and DT seems to be caught in the undertow.

DT are you married? Do you have kids? Have you ever pissed on a native american grave? We need to know these things ahead of time to avoid last minute bombs on our success stories.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys, let's not forget there was a time Dick Trauma was posting from the pod and everything was perfect. This stuff could happen to anyone of us.

edit: What I'm saying is you could be next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

TL;DR version is that it's a blessing in disguise, so stop feeling sorry for me. We're all gonna be happier for it, or at least I know I will be.

Sounds cheesy, but with every change comes opportunities. You have the right attitude, you will be fine. even thought the "change" sometimes sucks rear end.

also, MORE CE STUFF PLEASE! the last 4 pages was awesome!

• Locked thread