Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I missed that. :smith: What with the Russian rhetoric, I was hoping that the one bright spot of the whole Crimea situation would be a nice stable (if still impoverished) territory for the Tatars.

I don't even... Why in the world would anyone take anything Russian official say as approaching the truth!? All the Stalin worshipping sure is a good sign when it comes to Crimean Tatar treatment, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Erm, what?
http://www.worldbulletin.net/news/143844/russian-agents-raiding-homes-of-muslims-in-crimea

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Erm, what?

This is true. Russian authorities stormed into Tatar religious buildings and confiscated books banned by the Russian government. The banned books happened to be holy texts of the Tatars.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Sputnik_Intl/status/668208118296420352/photo/1

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

This is one of my favourite accounts on Twitter. Not 100% hilarity rating but delivers some good chuckles on a surprisingly consistent basis.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Radio Prune posted:

This is one of my favourite accounts on Twitter. Not 100% hilarity rating but delivers some good chuckles on a surprisingly consistent basis.

And of course sometimes you can't tell whether it's them or the original.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

kalstrams posted:

So, the story so far, in my understanding of it, is that group of Crimean Tatars did blow up the power transfer lines. Uhh, reclamation of homeland is a noble prospect I guess, but this is getting into terrorism territory rather quickly. Regarding that video with Ukrainian national guard and police "storming Crimea checkpoints," these checkpoints were there to disrupt food shipments from Ukraine into the Crimea, which basically did little other than to inflict economical damage on Ukrainian entrepreneurs. While Poroshenko has expressed support to this blockade, it does not appear to be legal.

The great issue is that the blockade and bombing up power lines is probably hitting the wrong target rather than anything else, which is the general population in the peninsula not the Russian troops occupying it. The Crimean Tatars have legitimate grievance, but it is hard to see how Crimea is ever going to be rejoined to Ukraine at this point willingly.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

People who had to flee Crimea are also part of the Crimean population. Their interests count, too.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This is true. Russian authorities stormed into Tatar religious buildings and confiscated books banned by the Russian government. The banned books happened to be holy texts of the Tatars.

Fortress of the Muslim was apparently banned by local courts back in 2012 and 2014, but only specific editions/translations. Not sure what exactly is wrong with them.

I wonder how much banned literature they would find if they searched houses or offices of DNR/LNR activists...

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

People who had to flee Crimea are also part of the Crimean population. Their interests count, too.

They do, but cutting power lines to the rest of the population isn't the way of getting their interests advances/rights restored. If anything it tightens Putin's grip by keeping the Crimean population on the defensive, and ever more reliant on the Russian state.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 22, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

They do, but cutting power lines to the rest of the population isn't the way of getting their interests advances/rights restored. If anything it tightens Putin's grip by keeping the Crimean population on the defensive, and ever more reliant on the Russian state.

As always, though, powerless people feel the need to just do something, even if it doesn't really help or is in fact, counterproductive. At least blowing up powerlines makes a statement without killing a shitton of people.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Libluini posted:

As always, though, powerless people feel the need to just do something, even if it doesn't really help or is in fact, counterproductive. At least blowing up powerlines makes a statement without killing a shitton of people.
I'm not sure of the statement made considering that they blew up their own stuff on their own soil. Pragmatically speaking, they have shown slight lack of wit at most.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Wait so who blew up the towers?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

kalstrams posted:

I'm not sure of the statement made considering that they blew up their own stuff on their own soil. Pragmatically speaking, they have shown slight lack of wit at most.

Yeah, counterproductive, as I said. Blowing up Russian soldiers would be more productive, but also kill more people. So these guys are either stupid or the wussiest terrorists ever.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

It is really impossible to know I guess but I guess hanging a flag over the destroyed tower and trying delay the national guard from reaching the site is a pretty clear signal.

Ultimately, I think the bigger issue in some ways, they are playing Putin's game here. If life slowly apart in Crimea under his hand it would be a different matter but I could see this easily being played up as "terrorism" against the population. The Ukrainian government itself is stuck, it doesn't want to actively help Russia but at the same time, but they need to keep power going as well as trade.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Ardennes posted:

It is really impossible to know I guess but I guess hanging a flag over the destroyed tower and trying delay the national guard from reaching the site is a pretty clear signal.

Ultimately, I think the bigger issue in some ways, they are playing Putin's game here. If life slowly apart in Crimea under his hand it would be a different matter but I could see this easily being played up as "terrorism" against the population. The Ukrainian government itself is stuck, it doesn't want to actively help Russia but at the same time, but they need to keep power going as well as trade.

J...John McCain?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Libluini posted:

Actually, long term disruptions to power supply are a really good way to kill a shitton of people. There's a lot of little issues that add up over time to cause a lot of harm.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Actually, long term disruptions to power supply are a really good way to kill a shitton of people. There's a lot of little issues that add up over time to cause a lot of harm.

Thanks, Captain Obvious. I guess when I said this I didn't really think things through. :rolleyes:

I guess you should ask yourself the question what is more reasonable: The guys disrupting the power supply making long-term plans to kill tons of people like some sort elaborate Tom Clancy plot, or them just wanting to blow something important up without immediately seen as evil terrorists?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Libluini posted:

Thanks, Captain Obvious. I guess when I said this I didn't really think things through. :rolleyes:

They way you phrased it made me think that you genuinely thought attacks on the power grid weren't going to cause lives to be lost.

quote:

I guess you should ask yourself the question what is more reasonable: The guys disrupting the power supply making long-term plans to kill tons of people like some sort elaborate Tom Clancy plot, or them just wanting to blow something important up without immediately seen as evil terrorists?

As with the shooting down of that civilian airliner, intentions don't really matter in the end. :sigh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

As with the shooting down of that civilian airliner, intentions don't really matter in the end. :sigh:

In my opinion, we have on one side clowns who think putting down powerlines is ultimately harmless but makes a widely visible political statement, on the other hand we have clowns who shot a missile at what they thought was a military target, but with the intention to kill. Even when I'm purely concentrating on intentions, but ignore the aftermath, the crazy guys with the BUK still lose the ethical deathmatch. :shrug:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's not a competition, man.

Anyway, in other news, we had some snow last night, and it's really loving cold outside. The Syrian refugees are in for some bad times. Well, worse than before, I mean.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

George W. Bush, obviously.

Wait hang on wrong towers

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

my dad posted:

It's not a competition, man.

It is, actually. Winner get new country!

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
What terrible timing too, I mean the west never gave much more than a face-saving poo poo about Ukraine and Crimea in particular, but relations between Russia and the West are arguably at their highest point due to recent events in Syria / Egypt / Paris. If Russia feels like doing something there you probably won't even hear it mentioned by the west this time beyond 'that's bad I guess :shrug:

Libluini posted:

In my opinion, we have on one side clowns who think putting down powerlines is ultimately harmless but makes a widely visible political statement, on the other hand we have clowns who shot a missile at what they thought was a military target, but with the intention to kill. Even when I'm purely concentrating on intentions, but ignore the aftermath, the crazy guys with the BUK still lose the ethical deathmatch. :shrug:

It's not like these groups are even necessarily directly related. This hurts the most poor crimeans who didn't have much of a say either way a lot more than it hurts the insurgents with the BUK (helps them actually), I really don't get what you hope to gain with this line of argumentation. Not everything is one side vs the other, yay manchester united boooooo liverpool.

kalstrams posted:

This too, what statement? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Libluini posted:

Well, it looks like everyone is powerless, now. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

It's not like these groups are even necessarily directly related. This hurts the most poor crimeans who didn't have much of a say either way a lot more than it hurts the insurgents with the BUK (helps them actually), I really don't get what you hope to gain with this line of argumentation. Not everything is one side vs the other, yay manchester united boooooo liverpool.

Well done, master of overthinking jokes.

You are the final proof that D&D rots your brain.

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

What terrible timing too, I mean the west never gave much more than a face-saving poo poo about Ukraine and Crimea in particular, but relations between Russia and the West are arguably at their highest point due to recent events in Syria / Egypt / Paris. If Russia feels like doing something there you probably won't even hear it mentioned by the west this time beyond 'that's bad I guess :shrug:

You shouldn't confuse Western media with Western governments. Poland is still relocating military troops to the Eastern border and the German military is still building up forces again for the first time since the end of the cold war. And Germany took leadership in the fast response force of NATO training to see how fast they can jump to the Balticum if Russia invades. So generally our relations with Russia are still bad and getting slowly worse.

The events in Syria, Egypt and Paris make us allies of convenience, but this alliance will die together with ISIS's relevance.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 22, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Look, Russia gave the West a puppy; the West can give Ukraine to Russia in exchange! Seems fair.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Look, Russia gave the West a puppy; the West can give Ukraine to Russia in exchange! Seems fair.

Considering how loving worked up westerners get over animals you'd think this was actually the case. Throw in a replacement for Cecil the Lion and you've got a deal!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maybe a piglet to Britain as well.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Nah, they promised the West a puppy, but are going to actually give an elderly dog with rabies.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Another sub-hunt off Scotland

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34896956

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

kalstrams posted:

:chanpop:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

kalstrams posted:

Hahaha

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

kalstrams posted:

:eyepop:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
David Cameron hosed a pig!

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Things are getting worse in Crimea

Power still out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKr5S9kEVqE

Queues for gas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-GkEWCggV0

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
In Far Eastern Europe news, Turkey shot down a russian warplane, so expect Putin to make a display of power somewhere.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
Right, reports are that a Turkish F-16 shot down an "unidentified" plane over it's airspace just by Syrian border. Russians on the other hand have reported that one of their SU-24 planes crashed in northern Syria (both pilots bailing out).
So.... hm... Nah, can't be related at all...

Source

Edit:

Rincewinds posted:

In Far Eastern Europe news, Turkey shot down a russian warplane, so expect Putin to make a display of power somewhere.

Beaten

Edit v2:

BBC headline changed that the Turks actually shot down a Russian plane.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm actually quite surprised that the Russians haven't built new power cables to replace the Ukrainian ones. I mean, it's been almost a year already, and if I was annexing a territory, securing things like electricity and water would be on the top of my to-do list afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mother russia needs that steel for more bombs

• Locked thread