Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ugh, people who think that being a dick is in any way charming are loving intolerable.

My old boss bragged to me once about having been a high school bully. The only reason I didn't lose any respect for him over it was because he had forfeited it long ago by being and rear end in a top hat (and a bully) to me and everyone else in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ugh, people who think that being a dick is in any way charming are loving intolerable.

The boss was weird. I had an LG Nexus 4 at the time, and he'd yell at me about how much better Apple was, and he'd say "You know what LG stands for? LUCKY GOLD STAR HUR HUR HUR." like it was the funniest thing in the world.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aunt Beth posted:

In his defense, the AS/400 was designed as a turnkey midrange machine for companies without IT knowledge or staff to computerize their operations. It was meant to be plugged in, configured by IBM/consultants/etc, and left running until it was replaced by a newer AS/400. Usually someone would be trained up enough to handle backups, PTF's, and IPL, and to dial 1-800-IBM-SERV. Was AS/400 guy brought on specifically as a 400 admin, or was he an accountant or something that wound up taking on 400 duties?

He has a degree, somehow. He used to work in the meat department a local grocery store chain and he was a college softball coach. Somewhere along the line he got moved into IT at the grocery store chain. After a few years there, they were bought out by Kroger (regional grocery store chain) and they didn't need him so they let him go.

The place I'm at know was looking for an IT person ~ 15 years ago, and somehow they chose him, presumably based on IBM experience. They were running Friedman software until 2004 when somehow the decision was made to stay on the IBM and switch to the current package.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The worthless guy that replaced me as I.T. Director back in 2004 is still there. Like most of the people at that company they arrived with the intention of retiring there. Most everyone that worked with me back then is also still there. Only changes in department heads have been due to retirement.

The thought that I might still be there after all these years, my brain turning to jello for lack of any challenge... :yikes:

And of course Tony is still at the old place. He spent the first six years as an I.T. flunky, and has been director the last six.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Che Delilas posted:

My old boss bragged to me once about having been a high school bully. The only reason I didn't lose any respect for him over it was because he had forfeited it long ago by being and rear end in a top hat (and a bully) to me and everyone else in the office.

When I quit my last job and got this one, it was a few weeks after they fired the manager they asked me to replace. The manager treated me like garbage, insulted me, called me extremely obscene names, and in general bullied me. Whatever, but when I quit, the recruiter I was working with mentioned that he gave the company I was interviewing at the managers name to call for a reference. I flipped out, and told the recruiter how badly he treated me, and that I didn't want him as a reference.

The recruiter was shocked, and forwarded me his letter of reference for me, and the guy wrote like poetry about how good I was.

I called the manager, to sort of see what was going on, and he was super friendly. He said he treated me so badly and insulted me because he thought we were friends and just busting each other's balls. It was really strange.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

My IT supervisor just asked me to clarify what "optical drive" meant

My mind is still boggling about this one today.

"What does he mean that the laptop they want to purchase does not have an optical drive?"

*mind races about how to explain that drivers sometimes come on discs -- abruptly shudders to bewildered halt* "... Do you know what an optical drive is?"

"No!"

"It's a CD drive."

"Ohh!"

This person gets paid more than every single technician in the room

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The specialized software needed to run one of our largest sites? Supposedly the licenses were part of the deal when we took over the site. Turns out they weren't!

And the manufacturer found out because the prior owner is now using those licenses at a different site.

And it's going to cost at least $250k, and possibly up to $500k to replace those licenses. The people that handled that deal are going to be doing some sweating. A terrible, rookie oversight.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

The specialized software needed to run one of our largest sites? Supposedly the licenses were part of the deal when we took over the site. Turns out they weren't!

And the manufacturer found out because the prior owner is now using those licenses at a different site.

And it's going to cost at least $250k, and possibly up to $500k to replace those licenses. The people that handled that deal are going to be doing some sweating. A terrible, rookie oversight.

Office Manager, perhaps?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

No, he wouldn't have been part of it. But he also wouldn't have thought to warn the deal makers about that sort of asset transfer, which was a responsibility I took upon myself at the last place, educating deal-makers so they wouldn't screw the company (and me) by failing to include these sort of things.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Last week, I sent a polite, yet scathing email to a consultant about his terrible communication skills.

This week, I find out he's being brought on... as our director.

gently caress me.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

the spyder posted:

Last week, I sent a polite, yet scathing email to a consultant about his terrible communication skills.

gently caress me.

:yotj:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

the spyder posted:

gently caress me.

gently caress that sucks. I sent out an email to a consultant that kept making stupid tickets only to find out he reported directly to one of our C-Levels. His title didn't really match that position for whatever reason.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
That is a sitcom-level turn of events.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

the spyder posted:

gently caress me.

Prison rules are in effect. Show your dominance

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

... ... The boss was fired because he had a reputation of being a jerk. He was like employee 3 of this startup that had grown to midsize, and he felt untouchable. When we had problems with software, he'd call the R&D devs, and their manager, and say:

Boss "Hey, so I'm looking at this unit, is this code supposed to do this?"

Engineer "Yes, that's a feature"

Boss "THEY WHY DOESN"T IT DO THAT YOU IDIOT"

And hang up laughing.

He thought this was funny (I think I read an anecdote about Steve Jobs saying that to the mobile me devs). Eventually he did it to someone that had received a promotion to director of something or other. So when Boss hung up, the guy called the Boss's director and told him to fire Boss. Boss was shown the door the next morning.
... ...

this "Boss", did he per chance move on to a small TV station somewhere in the South? As a CE?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

I am amazed at people who tell me they have been in a IT related job for more than 5 years at any company.

When I was 5 years into my first programming gig, another company came by and offered me 30k more than I was currently making. My employer at the time basically told me I was dumb if I didn't take that offer.

I've been at the same place now for over 10 years, and up until the last 2 years, really liked it. We are in a stable industry, we are growing like crazy, we have a good budget, benefits are good but not outstanding, and I like the area. Its not all perfect, staffing levels are kept low to appease the board, training is hard to get at times, and IT management is simply bad at their jobs.

Last 2 years though have been increasingly miserable, as all the fun things I used to do were moved to another group, our manager is a micro-managing glory hound and staff is being stretched too thin to handle the project load. I'm thinking of bailing after bonuses (hopefully) show up early next year, but I don't know what and where to go.

I do see the show and use the job as a step by the guy currently running our IT section, he is at a job for maybe 2 years, then bails. He's certainly good at promoting himself, not so much for everyone working for him.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was at my first job out of school for 18 months.

5 years at the 2nd job.

I'm 7.5 years at my 3rd job currently.

I'm no stranger of knowing when to bail, but that time hasn't come yet. Growth here has been explosive and the technology has been constantly evolving. I've also garnered 62% in pay increases since I started as well. Recent developments (we were purchased) could make me pause, but so far it's looking very good that I can leverage this to my advantage and that I may have fallen rear end backwards into the best opportunity I could have at this point. Until any of that changes, I don't have much reason to pull up stakes and go elsewhere.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Right around the time I started to think I should move on to the next job, we decided to have a baby, and there's just no way any job in the world is going to be as good for taking care of an infant as my current one, so I ain't going noooowhere.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Right around the time I started to think I should move on to the next job, we decided to have a baby, and there's just no way any job in the world is going to be as good for taking care of an infant as my current one, so I ain't going noooowhere.

Kids will end you. One way or another.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

I've been at the same place now for over 10 years, and up until the last 2 years, really liked it. We are in a stable industry, we are growing like crazy, we have a good budget, benefits are good but not outstanding, and I like the area. Its not all perfect, staffing levels are kept low to appease the board, training is hard to get at times, and IT management is simply bad at their jobs.

Last 2 years though have been increasingly miserable, as all the fun things I used to do were moved to another group, our manager is a micro-managing glory hound and staff is being stretched too thin to handle the project load. I'm thinking of bailing after bonuses (hopefully) show up early next year, but I don't know what and where to go.

I do see the show and use the job as a step by the guy currently running our IT section, he is at a job for maybe 2 years, then bails. He's certainly good at promoting himself, not so much for everyone working for him.

I think it depends on who you are really. My current boss understands the game and is giving me 10% pay increase after my fist year, which isn't too bad. But when you are a embedded Linux developer with a nack for kernel development and connecting the kernel to the web using several different languages, AND several released products under your belt, it's hard for recruiters not to offer you way more money than you are currently making after just a few years. The other thing I made sure to do is set the tone with him before he relocated me. I told him that if I got any serious job offers after two years I would tell him about it and we would work something out if possible. If not he will write me a great reference. :unsmith:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I told him that if I got any serious job offers after two years I would tell him about it and we would work something out if possible. If not he will write me a great reference. :unsmith:

When I ran the IT-dept at a technical college I hired a guy who was obviously skilled at IT, but lacked at least some form of a formal "IT" education or workplace experience. Two years later he was a whole different person and worth a lot more than I could pay. When an old friend asked me for leads for a network tech for the (at the time) largest national telco I asked the guy if he'd be interested since it was close to his home, and paid almost double of what he was getting at the time. He rejected the notion outright. "I'm happy where I am, and money isn't all that important."

I told him he was free to use me as a reference, and that he was wasting his talent at a place like ours. He didn't care, and still works there.

He's a goon too, now that I think about it.
GET ANOTHER JOB, P. YOU'RE TOO GOOD FOR THAT PLACE!

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
So if you have a Dell recently and still has the original OS on it (not reimaged) I'd recommend checking it for eDellRoot: http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/11/dell-does-superfish-ships-pcs-with-self-signed-root-certificates/

Fortunately, this one seems to be a lot more difficult to exploit and a fix to remove it has already been released by Dell, but still something to look out for.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 24, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lightning Jim posted:

So if you have a Dell recently and still has the original OS on it (not reimaged) I'd recommend checking it for eDellRoot: http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/11/dell-does-superfish-ships-pcs-with-self-signed-root-certificates/
The funniest thing about this article is that they looked at a screenshot which says the intended purpose of this cert is "All", noted that the private key was included, and then had to pen an update later to say that code signing with this cert is possible.

If you want to remove it, Dell has a Word document here, but the directions are:
1) Stop the Dell Foundation Services service
2) Delete C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell Foundation Services\Dell.Foundation.Agent.Plugins.eDell.dll
3) Go into certmgr and delete the cert

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 24, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
Has Dell been caught actually injecting poo poo into pages with this, a-la Superfish? Or is it just a hole?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Look at this picture for a minute. Then let me tell you a story.

We have 4 divisions of our company. Manufacturing, sales, refurb/recycle, service.

We have 2 locations that are just service, we have 2 locations that are just refurb/recycle, and 2 that are just sales.

We have 2 locations that are combined combined service/sales that are actually their own company.

Some genius decided to make ANOTHER company that combines one to four of these locations. Separate from the other company. Nobody knows where to bill the loving computers and and internet and phone service to, nobody know who's in charge of loving what.

So then I go back to my picture. We're just a piddly company and they have the same problems at loving YUM foods.

You know some fuckhead executive was like LETS COMBINE ALL OUR RESTAURANTS INTO ONE! DO IT NOW!

Then some fuckers in IT got stuck with 'Alright between KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut we've got 3 payroll systems, 3 ordering systems, 3 POS systems, not to mention the inventories for all the companies are in 7 different databases.'

:bang:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nucken Futz posted:

this "Boss", did he per chance move on to a small TV station somewhere in the South? As a CE?

Not that I know of. He's still in the NYC Metro area. I've sort of lost touch with him.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

Now I know where I'm going for lunch at least

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Potato Salad posted:

Has Dell been caught actually injecting poo poo into pages with this, a-la Superfish? Or is it just a hole?

It's really more just a hole. It's supposed to help provide System Info through the Dell Support site - http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/direct2dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2015/11/23/response-to-concerns-regarding-edellroot-certificate - but is shown to be exploitable to fake certified software and websites.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

unclenutzzy posted:

The amount of sugar and salt in any of their foods is horrifying. Please don't kill yourself.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Been at my current job for about 4 and a half years now, and there are several factors that make me want to leave. Biggest one is that I am just plain bored with the job. There is not really any challenge in it except for a few odd tickets that come in. The second is the people that escalate tickets to me. They have no idea how to troubleshoot, so they take down almost no information and then send a ticket to my team. Got one today for the fingerprint scanner on their phone not working after an upgrade. No idea what was upgraded (recent vendor upgrade, OS upgrade). Turns out it was for a feature that is not even supported by the vendor, and they have been told this in the past.

Since my boss refers to as the best troubleshooter on the team, I know I cannot go anywhere else in the company.

Then there is the salary. I am well paid for what I do, but I know I could get more doing the same thing elsewhere in the same metro area.

I do like my commute though. It is 30 minutes by train and that is with a transfer to another line. Five minute walk from my apartment to the station, and five minutes to my office from the other station. That is almost unheard of here.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

poo poo pissing me off: I work for a natural gas company. There is apparently some kind of breakdown in union negotiations so they've come up with the great plan to have other people from the company train to do emergency work, if it ends up being needed. I had a safety meeting this morning and then had fire school where I got to extinguish a giant natural gas fire (which was kinda cool actually).

Instead of being at work. My director chose me to go, along with someone else I work with and himself. Neither of those guys is here.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

unclenutzzy posted:

I don't see you here, dawg

(who gets it, come on, who gets it)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress printers.

More importantly, gently caress people who still need printed poo poo. It's the year 2015, I shouldn't need to take a full printed copy of my new lease to town loving hall to get the water turned on. :argh:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

More importantly, gently caress people who still need printed poo poo.

We've been using Google Apps in our classrooms for some time now, largely in part due to the collaborative services users have access to with their documents. It works great to share assignments for marking, editing, whatever, but every once in a while we have a staff member who just needs everything printed. It's a pain in the rear end because Google Cloud Print is hot garbage poo poo, and it ends up just wasting everyone's time.

And, you know, gently caress Printers.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Let's put 20 new IP based printers on a network out of DHCP leases, then open up a bunch of tickets because our phones/computers/whatever stopped working.

In short: gently caress Printers.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

DigitalMocking posted:

Let's put 20 new IP based printers on a network out of DHCP leases, then open up a bunch of tickets because our phones/computers/whatever stopped working.

In short: gently caress Printers.

While the printers certainly are stupid here; I'm thinking this is more one of those fancy layer 8 issues known as 'gently caress people'.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

gently caress printers.

More importantly, gently caress people who still need printed poo poo. It's the year 2015, I shouldn't need to take a full printed copy of my new lease to town loving hall to get the water turned on. :argh:

Even worse: lovely offices that only accept faxed documents. Can't drop it off. Can't email it. Screw that.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

Crowley posted:

I follow the Washington Redskins on FB just to be able to talk American Football with my sister and dad. They play in red, and.. um.. they're not doing too well I guess.
It's definitely a rebuilding year for them.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Google Butt Print

God bless cloud 2 butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

myron cope posted:

poo poo pissing me off: I work for a natural gas company. There is apparently some kind of breakdown in union negotiations so they've come up with the great plan to have other people from the company train to do emergency work, if it ends up being needed. I had a safety meeting this morning and then had fire school where I got to extinguish a giant natural gas fire (which was kinda cool actually).

Instead of being at work. My director chose me to go, along with someone else I work with and himself. Neither of those guys is here.

I got to learn how to operate a camera and went to the 2012 presidential debates in Denver as part of an emergency standby crew. I'm generally pro-union but it was a cool thing to do, not as cool as putting out a giant natural gas fire though.