Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Roland Jones posted:

Which is one more reason why Black Mist is a very, very effective partner to him; besides balancing out his temperament, their abilities have a very dangerous synergy.
Black Mist is cool because he seems to be more Shigaraki's caretaker than subordinate. Shigaraki clearly calls the shots around here, but it's always Black Mist who has to intervene on his behalf to fix things/ask him what lesson he's learned. It's an interesting spin on the usual bad guy with sidekick dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Roland Jones posted:

words on Shigaraki's power
Yeah, if the "requires all 5 fingers on the object to destroy it" theory is true then that's a really fun way to balance an incredibly broken power. Kind of reminds me of Ryougi Shiki's ability to kill anything, as long as she can get within cutting distance. of wherever its "life" is.

I also think Black Mist is a very effective partner because Shigaraki is very emotionally unstable and as far as we can see, Shigaraki can't do poo poo to hurt Black Mist.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The plot just never takes a chapter off in this one.

The wait for next week is going to be agonizing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Horikoshi should just admit that he didn't send the kids to the mall so that Deku and Shigaraki could meet--he did it so that he could draw everyone in casual clothes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

Another good chapter, what a surprise. Villains tend to be solitary sorts so seeing them interact with one another's always fun. I like Shigaraki more now than I did back when he first appeared, which is a pretty good sign. Typically my opinion of any given villain remains static after their introduction (except in cases where character development is obviously in the cards).

As for his little get together with Deku, there are so many potential reasons for him to spare the kid I'm not even gonna bother speculating until he says something himself.
Do you have an example? I don't read the WSJ translation VIZ puts out, just the printed volumes which I imagine they have a little more time to feel out and care for.
I don't have any shots of the VIZ one, but I find the printed volumes kinda dry and lacking character for a lot of the characters- the printed volumes I have seem better than my recollection of the VIZ online stuff but I kinda recall the VIZ people literally confusing who was talking in some scenes and a lot of character idiosyncrasies not really being represented. Stuff like how Uraraka slips into Kansai dialect when she's flustered or alone.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

You know, it's probably gonna be really awkward if Uraraka learns what happened to Deku after she ditched him.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The WSJ online chapters get dumped on /a/ every week.

Fabricated posted:

I don't have any shots of the VIZ one, but I find the printed volumes kinda dry and lacking character for a lot of the characters- the printed volumes I have seem better than my recollection of the VIZ online stuff but I kinda recall the VIZ people literally confusing who was talking in some scenes and a lot of character idiosyncrasies not really being represented. Stuff like how Uraraka slips into Kansai dialect when she's flustered or alone.

They mis-translate lines too, it's not like they're the super-consistent high-quality guys while FA are the fun ones.

e: it's only 25$ per year though, so you can't really complain. Now that FA isn't putting out the chapter four days in advance, the big knock on WSJ is that their reader sucks and compresses everything. You need to rip it manually to get the base images for them to look good.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 24, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Roland Jones posted:

Tangent, wow, Shigaraki's face is massively hosed up; besides the strange lips (which we've seen before when Shigaraki was watching the tournament) and his eyes being... I don't know how to describe it, he's also got a few scars. Right eyelid, left side of his lip. What the heck messed him up so badly?

Maybe he has the disembodied hands because if he touches himself with his real hands, he gets scarred up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Isn't Ashido's power effectively similar (but better/more versalite than) Shigaraki's? Like, can't she grab a thing and exude strong acid, having the exact same effect? (Granted this ignores whatever is up with all his extra hands.)

I really like Shigaraki as a villain. He has a really interesting/funny/unique personality, which I can't say for 99+% of fictional villains.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well, Shigaraki was presumably the one who destroyed the gate at UA, which I'm not sure if Ashido could do, so I guess his power is even more destructive>

And yeah, I can't wait to see what's up with his other hand ornaments.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well we don't really know the limits of Ashido's powers or Shigaraki's. Ashido's aiming to become a hero anyway, so she would not use her Acid on a dangerous level on a person anyway. (As she can control as strong it is.) Shigaraki if he touches you will probably die. Aizawa if I remember correctly turned it off both times it was used on a person. (When it was used on his arm and broke it before he turned it off and when it was used on Tsuyu.)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
We never did get a sidebar explaining Shigaraki's quirk. And they make a point of saying how he didn't talk about his quirk at all, but couldn't stop raving about Noumu's. Maybe he can disintegrate things instantly. Or has multiple quirks given to him by All For One.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

What if each pair of hands carries a separate set of touch-based powers and he can switch them around as he pleases?

I mean, not instantly, but like "Unhook" one set and install another between/during fights when nobody's looking.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vengarr posted:

We never did get a sidebar explaining Shigaraki's quirk. And they make a point of saying how he didn't talk about his quirk at all, but couldn't stop raving about Noumu's. Maybe he can disintegrate things instantly. Or has multiple quirks given to him by All For One.

Yeah, a theory that people have had is that each hand has a different quirk, allowing him to use multiple quirks.

Given the reveal about AFO's power, it might be a way to counteract the "become like Noumu" side effect of being granted extra quirks. Just steal quirks, toss them on hands, and then give them to a guy who can use quirks on contact or some other ability that lets Shigaraki use multiple quirks.

The fact that Shigaraki apologized to his father when All Might knocked the hand off his face is pretty telling. I don't think the father was referring to AFO because Shigaraki refers to AFO as Professor, if I recall correctly. So I'm guessing the hand on his face might be his father's, which is pretty chilling.

Of course, this is all conjecture with little to no actual basis.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Where do Shigaraki's hands go when he's not using them? Do they just kind of crawl off into a crevice somewhere like big spiders? :iiam:

I just had a random thought, but it'd be interesting if Shigaraki's scars and such came from an accident that gave him superpowers, rather than him being born with his quirk like everyone else. Really I am just rooting for this comic to get even more superhero-y than it already is!

Finally: I just have to say how I really love Ashido. She's just so chipper and fun! She was the one doing a big "RAH!" of excitement when they were out at the mall together! And she always looks so spunky and pumped when she's skating around on her acid too. Designwise and just in general she's my favorite girl, with Tokoyami being my favorite boy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrSunshine posted:

Where do Shigaraki's hands go when he's not using them? Do they just kind of crawl off into a crevice somewhere like big spiders? :iiam:

I just had a random thought, but it'd be interesting if Shigaraki's scars and such came from an accident that gave him superpowers, rather than him being born with his quirk like everyone else. Really I am just rooting for this comic to get even more superhero-y than it already is!

Finally: I just have to say how I really love Ashido. She's just so chipper and fun! She was the one doing a big "RAH!" of excitement when they were out at the mall together! And she always looks so spunky and pumped when she's skating around on her acid too. Designwise and just in general she's my favorite girl, with Tokoyami being my favorite boy.

Ashido was very cute when she was raging about being in 4th place during the race between her, Ojiro, Sero, Iida, and Deku.

Bakugou is my favorite character bar none cause I love how creative he gets with his powers. He's a genius but he's a genius who puts in work because he realizes that relying on innate skills isn't enough, especially when that guy he used to look down on is making leaps and strides as a hero.

Tsuyu is another favorite cause she's so chill and relaxed. She's not called the mental pillar of Class A for nothing!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bakugou and Yaoyorozu are my favorites, but they're all good.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i like how the invisible girl gets everyone to go where Shigaraki can run into Deku with perfect timing she's totally a real student guys

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Bakugou and Yaoyorozu are my favorites, but they're all good.

Speaking of Yaoyorozu, it's interesting that while Deku, Todoroki, and Bakugou have "ORIGIN" chapters, Yaoyorozu has a "RISING" chapter.

The ORIGIN chapters have the characters deal with a trauma or flaw or something that keeps them from being a proper hero, which allows them to take their first step in their path to becoming their ideal hero.

On the other hand, the word RISING literally implies rising up.

In other words, she already had what it took to be a hero, but she was just in a slump for a while.

At least, that's my take on it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't Ashido's power effectively similar (but better/more versalite than) Shigaraki's? Like, can't she grab a thing and exude strong acid, having the exact same effect? (Granted this ignores whatever is up with all his extra hands.)

I really like Shigaraki as a villain. He has a really interesting/funny/unique personality, which I can't say for 99+% of fictional villains.

Ashido definitely has more utility in her power; Shigaraki's is nothing but offense/destruction. The primary thing in Shigaraki's favor is, I think Ashido has some limits on how much/how fast she can burn through things (she wasn't able to just make a hole through the obstacles the principal dropped in her way in that last test), while I'm betting that Shigaraki has little to nothing he can't destroy when it's in his grip. If he grabs something, it's probably getting destroyed, but, nothing about his power helps him get to that point, as I mentioned earlier, and even then, it's not instant destruction so outside of people like All Might, Noumu, and others who have extreme defenses, more standard offensive powers are probably much more useful. Otherwise, Ashido, as well as a majority of the students really, have better powers, I'd say, or at least powers I think most people would like to have and would get regular use out of.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Speaking of Yaoyorozu, it's interesting that while Deku, Todoroki, and Bakugou have "ORIGIN" chapters, Yaoyorozu has a "RISING" chapter.

The ORIGIN chapters have the characters deal with a trauma or flaw or something that keeps them from being a proper hero, which allows them to take their first step in their path to becoming their ideal hero.

On the other hand, the word RISING literally implies rising up.

In other words, she already had what it took to be a hero, but she was just in a slump for a while.

At least, that's my take on it.

Yeah, she was doing well for a while, but started losing confidence in herself; the test reaffirmed her self-worth. On the one hand, it's arguably pretty similar to the "ORIGIN" thing, but I can definitely see the argument you're making and like it generally.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

What if each pair of hands carries a separate set of touch-based powers and he can switch them around as he pleases?

I mean, not instantly, but like "Unhook" one set and install another between/during fights when nobody's looking.

Yeah I had reached the same conclusion, though more of "have we seen his wrists"? He might just have stumps with plugs that he can put people he's killed's hands on

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, she was doing well for a while, but started losing confidence in herself; the test reaffirmed her self-worth. On the one hand, it's arguably pretty similar to the "ORIGIN" thing, but I can definitely see the argument you're making and like it generally.

To be perfectly honest the first thing that came to mind was Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance despite the fact that I've never played a Metal Gear Game.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah I had reached the same conclusion, though more of "have we seen his wrists"? He might just have stumps with plugs that he can put people he's killed's hands on
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well.

Kinda hope it's true. It'd give Shigaraki a suitably creepy serial killer vibe on top of being a versatile combatant.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Kinda hope it's true. It'd give Shigaraki a suitably creepy serial killer vibe on top of being a versatile combatant.

Hm. If that's how it works, presumably the quirks in the hands are only active when they're not attached. Otherwise, he wouldn't be able to mount the disintegration hands anywhere because getting a firm grip with them would, well, disintegrate him.

That aside, that could be pretty interesting. Personally I think the most likely thing is that he only has the one quirk now, though, but AfO may eventually grant him more as he grows, but it's definitely not the only possibility. Shigaraki being quirkless until he was granted a quirk (or several) would make a neat parallel with Deku.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 24, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

To be perfectly honest the first thing that came to mind was Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance despite the fact that I've never played a Metal Gear Game.

Maybe it was a hint that they're going to use MGR's soundtrack for the Hero Academia 3DS game.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
What little we've seen of Shigaraki when he isn't being a villain gives a hikkimori vibe, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being more of a dark mirror to Deku than he already has been. Deku's support system has been repeatedly emphasized, so I guess Shigaraki will be something like "Deku that never met All Might."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DrSunshine posted:

He keeps them in his handbag.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

LostRook posted:

What little we've seen of Shigaraki when he isn't being a villain gives a hikkimori vibe, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being more of a dark mirror to Deku than he already has been. Deku's support system has been repeatedly emphasized, so I guess Shigaraki will be something like "Deku that never met All Might."
I look forward to finding out about Deku's secret hand collection in future chapters.

Although I guess his compulsive note taking on other heroes is also pretty creepy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Twiddy posted:

I look forward to finding out about Deku's secret hand collection in future chapters.

Although I guess his compulsive note taking on other heroes is also pretty creepy.

Tokoyami told Deku he was going to scare the children with his creepy mumbling this very chapter, even.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

LostRook posted:

Well, Deku has All Might whereas Shigaraki has AFO, though given his current state AFO can't really be hands-on in his guidance of Noumu.

Both All Might and AFO don't seem to be very good at teaching, though. In All Might's case it was because he was able to master the OFA power so easily. In AFO's case, he seems to prefer that Shigaraki learn from failures and humiliation and stuff, and can't really do much when Shigaraki gets all whiny.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Roland Jones posted:

Hm. If that's how it works, presumably the quirks in the hands are only active when they're not attached. Otherwise, he wouldn't be able to mount the disintegration hands anywhere because getting a firm grip with them would, well, disintegrate him.

That aside, that could be pretty interesting. Personally I think the most likely thing is that he only has the one quirk now, though, but AfO may eventually grant him more as he grows, but it's definitely not the only possibility. Shigaraki being quirkless until he was granted a quirk (or several) would make a neat parallel with Deku.

Maybe his original power is the ability to swap/steal body parts.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Vengarr posted:

Maybe it was a hint that they're going to use MGR's soundtrack for the Hero Academia 3DS game.

Well, quirks do appear to be governed by the rules of nature.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Fowl posted:

Maybe his original power is the ability to swap/steal body parts.

Rereading the chapter again, he'd need it if the theory people were posting about swapping hands for powers were true; just noticed that we can clearly see his wrist here and it looks perfectly normal. We get a few other shots at them as well later; tempted to go back and check earlier chapters as well, but, it seems pretty clear.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Agreed, Mina rules.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Roland Jones posted:

Rereading the chapter again, he'd need it if the theory people were posting about swapping hands for powers were true; just noticed that we can clearly see his wrist here and it looks perfectly normal. We get a few other shots at them as well later; tempted to go back and check earlier chapters as well, but, it seems pretty clear.

Both wrists? Maybe only one hand works for that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Invictus posted:

Both wrists? Maybe only one hand works for that.

Yeah, we see his right wrist later a few times as well. Also, he has both right and left hands all over his body, so if he could only swap one hand then half of them would just be decoration, which is even weirder than all of them being for decoration.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Shigaraki won't kill Deku because we've already been promised the forest lodge arc! :argh:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Twiddy posted:

It has since become somewhat endearing to the class now that they know him well, but his note-taking and constant mumbling has been referred to as creepy/weird by both his classmates in middle school and his fellow students at UA. Uraraka is actually kind of unnerved rather than flattered when Midoriya mentions he took notes on her too back during the tournament.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 24, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Shigaraki's power is actually that anything he touches with "his" hands disintegrates.

Turns out this works with remote controlled hands as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Ashido definitely has more utility in her power; Shigaraki's is nothing but offense/destruction. The primary thing in Shigaraki's favor is, I think Ashido has some limits on how much/how fast she can burn through things (she wasn't able to just make a hole through the obstacles the principal dropped in her way in that last test), while I'm betting that Shigaraki has little to nothing he can't destroy when it's in his grip. If he grabs something, it's probably getting destroyed, but, nothing about his power helps him get to that point, as I mentioned earlier, and even then, it's not instant destruction so outside of people like All Might, Noumu, and others who have extreme defenses, more standard offensive powers are probably much more useful. Otherwise, Ashido, as well as a majority of the students really, have better powers, I'd say, or at least powers I think most people would like to have and would get regular use out of.

I think Shigaraki's strength comes more from his skill than his quirk. Like, the fact he managed to catch Aizawa means that he is incredibly skilled, and having great skill combined with his quirk makes it far more dangerous.

Also, yeah, it seems like it can probably destroy anything and do it faster than Ashido's quirk. I doubt Ashido's acid can burn very fast through strong materials like ceramics or people with hardening quirks like Kirishima.

Bad Seafood posted:

Have we seen Shigaraki kill anyone? I find that usually people in manga (at least shounen manga) aren't killers unless we've explicitly been shown them killing someone. Attempting to kill someone doesn't count; there have been many characters who have attempted to kill folks to showcase how bad they are, but never actually end up doing it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 24, 2015