Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Rhyno posted:

Best options for storing my extra wheels and tire set? I've been using the plastic bags Tire Barn wrapped them in when I had them mount the winters a few years back but those are pretty close to junk, looking for something that won't rip and tear easily.

Mine sit in the back of an old truck with a less old car cover to keep the dust off. YMMV

RE Block heater: It gets Wisconsin cold, so all over the place. It's better than nothing and only $45 so I guess Merry Christmas dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol please don't tell me one of you guys bought me this

i'm gonna feel really bad that you didn't just adblock dogtrots

(if u did thanks <3)

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 24, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sweet 800XL though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nodoze posted:

This is standard for BMW/Mini

You say that like it makes it any less insane.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Heh seriously, what's next, using a computer to control the ABS module?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Tusen Takk posted:

(if u did thanks <3)

:wink:

1500quidporsche posted:

It's not insane, it actually makes perfect sense. The car needs to know the state of charge of the battery so it can adjust alternator output current to charge it faster if the battery is more depleted, or slower if it's mostly full. This gives you slightly better fuel economy but mostly means the battery lasts a lot more cycles than it otherwise would as it's not just being hit with the max current it will take at all times.

As time passes the battery gets less good at holding a full charge, and the computer knows this, so it lowers the target charge voltage to match the battery.

When you change out the battery for a new one, this learned target voltage has to be reset, so the computer knows it's working with a new battery and thus re-learns the new battery's preferred voltages and whatnot.

It's a complicated system, and yes it's a bit dumb that the car can't detect a changed battery on its own, but it increases the service life of quite a few components and gives you an extra mpg or two for literally no cost to the end user (software doesn't weigh anything) so why not?

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 24, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

1500quidporsche posted:

It's not insane but I'm desensitized to it by virtue of seeing it every day

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Nodoze posted:

This is standard for BMW/Mini

Still absolutely retarded. Realistically I don't believe this actually has that much of an impact on MPG (and even if it did, you'd think it would make more sense to have a control sequence for the optimization of the charging system without having to know the age and capacity specifications of the battery installed in the vehicle) We have methods for measuring the charge state of lead acid batteries without having to know the capacity of the battery, give the ECU a way to measure the state of charge on the battery and have it do whatever wizardry to keep it topped up through normal driving.

The way it's currently done is absurd. Over-complicated and prone to causing problems, definitely the German way.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Heh seriously, what's next, using a computer to control the ABS module?

The difference with the BMW battery bullshit (Yay, alliteration!) being that there's a better way to get the same gains without having your control system fry components when you swap them out for new ones. I swear this has to exist for the sole purpose of forcing people back into the dealers.

That crazy story of the turbo 7 series or some such that eats batteries because they can't reprogram it without enticing a lawsuit is just baffling/infuriating.

I'll go sulk in a corner and curse BMW for a little bit now.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The new ford rangers we have in Aus have an equally stupid trick- they use a smart charge system that only runs the alternator at full capacity for 10 mins after you crank it and then will only keep up with current draw unless you have your foot on the brake. All for emissions reasons.

Sounds fine until you work out that if you leave the keys in the ignition, even turned off, the entire can bus network stays active, pulling about 2A. And every time you open a door, all the Parker lights come on.

So you wind up with a car that drains it's battery at every opportunity, and doesn't fully charge it. So your battery gets lower and lower and lower until you get a no start and have to charge the bastard. And they ship with a calcium maintenance free battery, which LOVES being run down hard repeatedly. We've even had ones where they've been jump started and stalled within 5 mins and won't start again without another jump...

The Mazda BT50 which uses the same engine and drive train has a normal alternator....

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

literally a fish posted:

It's not insane, it actually makes perfect sense. The car needs to know the state of charge of the battery so it can adjust alternator output current to charge it faster if the battery is more depleted, or slower if it's mostly full. This gives you slightly better fuel economy but mostly means the battery lasts a lot more cycles than it otherwise would as it's not just being hit with the max current it will take at all times.

As time passes the battery gets less good at holding a full charge, and the computer knows this, so it lowers the target charge voltage to match the battery.

When you change out the battery for a new one, this learned target voltage has to be reset, so the computer knows it's working with a new battery and thus re-learns the new battery's preferred voltages and whatnot.

It's a complicated system, and yes it's a bit dumb that the car can't detect a changed battery on its own, but it increases the service life of quite a few components and gives you an extra mpg or two for literally no cost to the end user (software doesn't weigh anything) so why not?

Bullshit. You're spouting the dealer's explanation, but are E90 owners seeing longer lasting batteries? Nope. Does this add an additional level of needless complexity that requires a trip to the dealer instead of the local auto parts store? Yep.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

I just use large garbage bags, and a liberal application of 303 aerospace protector to the rubber before tying the bag shut. Store in dark place (indoor preferred, but gently caress toting tires up and down a flight of stairs to the basement twice a year) Deflate to ~8-10psi, reinflate when taking out of storage.

Tires come out nice and supple next year, and garbage bags are cheap.

I think I'll try your route but sadly the summer wheels will have to sit in the garage as there's no place inside for them.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Look, the IBS is a great feature because of reasons like

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Upgraded my AMD FirePro M5950 Graphics card to a AMD FirePro M5100,

Its the equivilent of an AMD R9 M200x versus the Radeon M6700 that the other one is based on.

Fallout 4 is now pretty damned smooth.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Planning on looking at/hopefully buying an '05 4Runner sometime this week or next. Only, I just realized my truck that I'm daily driving has tags that expire in a few days. I don't want to renew them for $100 if I'm only going to use it for a couple more days, and I don't think "truck" plates work with SUVs in Wisconsin, so I don't think I could transfer it over to the new vehicle either. :sigh:

Oh yeah, for anyone who enjoyed Netflix's Daredevil, one of the several tag along series Jessica Jones went up on Netflix. I only caught the first two episodes so far, but I'm liking it a lot.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 24, 2015

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Found out earlier today that my brother-in-law had his truck broken into last night. Like 2 grand worth of snap on tools stolen, and ofc they weren't paid off.

Fuckin thieves.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

mariooncrack posted:

:ughh:

It's been awhile since I've played any Doom game. I should remedy this.

Last summer I re-bought the whole package from steam, since they're all ported to modern OS systems and they were on sale for like 5 bucks. It was easier than reloading from disc and finding the freeware emulators myself. They even had 3 expansion packs included that I've never played. The third one is hard as hell. I literally started it on easy and there's so little weapons/health that it took me like 20 tries to finish the first level. And this is after playing through doom 1 and doom 2 and 2 other xpacs so I was fully warmed up. It was nuts. Dual revenants in the first level, where you only have a shotgun, what the gently caress.

I got through it eventually but it became one of those sessions where you learn to quicksave after every single enemy is defeated or every door is opened. And some you forgot to stock up at the right time, so you end up hosed.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

Last summer I re-bought the whole package from steam, since they're all ported to modern OS systems and they were on sale for like 5 bucks. It was easier than reloading from disc and finding the freeware emulators myself. They even had 3 expansion packs included that I've never played. The third one is hard as hell. I literally started it on easy and there's so little weapons/health that it took me like 20 tries to finish the first level. And this is after playing through doom 1 and doom 2 and 2 other xpacs so I was fully warmed up. It was nuts. Dual revenants in the first level, where you only have a shotgun, what the gently caress.

I got through it eventually but it became one of those sessions where you learn to quicksave after every single enemy is defeated or every door is opened. And some you forgot to stock up at the right time, so you end up hosed.

I think I own them all on Steam too. If not, there's always a chance I'll pick them up for the next Steam sale. If I remember correctly, Steam gives you the WADs so you can use one of the many DOOM engines. What amazes me is that there's still an active modding community for these games. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSzYliSASKc

I'm assuming you played Final Doom and had the pleasure of completing this map too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCGeNNvG0Z4

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

(if u did thanks <3)

Daaaaamn it's a Microbee. I learnt how to code in binary on one of those things

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So school tossed me an Asus Transformer tablet. Why, I have no idea - it's for the mobile devices portion of the classes, but it's still a Windows 8 machine (i.e. it's basically a quad core Atom netbook), so I really don't see the point.

Said tablet came with a key for 1 year of Office 365 + 1TB of OneDrive (single user, but good for 1 tablet + 1 full PC - I assume the 1TB of space reverts back to the standard free offering after the year is up).

I already have a lifetime 5 PC license for Office 365, along with 40GB of OneDrive storage with it (courtesy of UNT). Worth bothering using this key, or should I try to give/sell it to someone? (it's good until Dec 2016) The tablet only has a 32GB SSD in it, but the 40GB OneDrive account I already have should probably be enough.

Also whoever decided a netbook/higher end tablet should be charged with a 2 amp microUSB charger needs to be tarred and feathered. It's been plugged in for almost 6 hours and hasn't even hit 40%, though it's also been turned on most of that time. Another WTF is the fact that it has a 64 bit CPU, but can't run a 64 bit OS - something about the BIOS only supporting 32 bit OSs?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

mariooncrack posted:

I think I own them all on Steam too. If not, there's always a chance I'll pick them up for the next Steam sale. If I remember correctly, Steam gives you the WADs so you can use one of the many DOOM engines. What amazes me is that there's still an active modding community for these games. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSzYliSASKc

I'm assuming you played Final Doom and had the pleasure of completing this map too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCGeNNvG0Z4

I just looked up what I played on the wiki and I actually gave up the plutonia experiment on map 11. It was just too drat hard. Too many restarts for me to enjoy the game, I used to be hardcore but now I'm more casual than that. I only played doom2 on nightmare once just to see if I could do it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i like playing fallout with god mod enabled because the story is way more interesting than getting slaughtered all the time

welp that's my really bad video game strategy

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I feel like Sigourney Weaver on Galaxy Quest with this BMW/mini ibs system: Yes, it's stupid, but it's my job. If I have to appease the IBS gods once every 3 years to forestall any other electrical problems down the road, I'll do it gladly. Better that than being 'smarter than bmw' and not doing it and loving up all the electrical poo poo in that car, of which there's a lot.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

snap on tools they weren't paid off.

This is really the first problem.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

How did they get in?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Tusen Takk posted:

i like playing fallout with god mod enabled because the story is way more interesting than getting slaughtered all the time

welp that's my really bad video game strategy

i do this also
in it for the story not for the dying and frustration

some texas redneck posted:

So school tossed me an Asus Transformer tablet. Why, I have no idea - it's for the mobile devices portion of the classes, but it's still a Windows 8 machine (i.e. it's basically a quad core Atom netbook), so I really don't see the point.

Said tablet came with a key for 1 year of Office 365 + 1TB of OneDrive (single user, but good for 1 tablet + 1 full PC - I assume the 1TB of space reverts back to the standard free offering after the year is up).

I already have a lifetime 5 PC license for Office 365, along with 40GB of OneDrive storage with it (courtesy of UNT). Worth bothering using this key, or should I try to give/sell it to someone? (it's good until Dec 2016) The tablet only has a 32GB SSD in it, but the 40GB OneDrive account I already have should probably be enough.

Also whoever decided a netbook/higher end tablet should be charged with a 2 amp microUSB charger needs to be tarred and feathered. It's been plugged in for almost 6 hours and hasn't even hit 40%, though it's also been turned on most of that time. Another WTF is the fact that it has a 64 bit CPU, but can't run a 64 bit OS - something about the BIOS only supporting 32 bit OSs?

the Office key isn't really worth poo poo; you can buy a $70 tablet at wal-mart that comes with one of them, no joke :V

You may have noticed that if you open system properties you don't have proper Windows 8, you have "Windows 8 With Bing". "Windows 8 With Bing" is the free-to-OEMs version of windows 8 (that's right fellas no licensing costs) but it has some licensing restrictions such as no more than 2GB of RAM and no 64-bit operation allowed.

The BIOS/EFI in these cheap small tablets is usually limited to 32bit OSes because the 2GB RAM limitation means there's no real reason to run a 64bit OS anyway, and Microsoft won't let them, so why spend money on the 64-bit part of the BIOS/EFI?

the price we pay for cheap tablets... surprised they didn't give you an Android device.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

angryhampster posted:

This is really the first problem.

And that wouldn't be a problem if they were insured, which apparently the second problem.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp posted:

And that wouldn't be a problem if they were insured, which apparently the second problem.

Third. First problem was leaving them in the truck.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

literally a fish posted:

i do this also
in it for the story not for the dying and frustration

is it really that difficult that you need to cheat like that? ive never really considered any Bethesda game particularly difficult and im not even that good at video games

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

88h88 posted:

Third. First problem was leaving them in the truck.

Agreed. You're really asking for it if you leave valuable stuff unsecured like that.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I don't even leave change in my car. Crackheads have got into my roommate's car before and stole some soccer balls and all his loose change.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My mom called last night. She thinks she might have cervical cancer. Heading to a doctor today. She says she has all the symptoms, and she had breast cancer over 20 years ago so she's pretty high risk for cancer in general.

Somebody please tell me it'll be alright. Please. I don't need this right now.

Also she hadn't been to a gyno for seven years, goddamn.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

corn in the fridge posted:

is it really that difficult that you need to cheat like that? ive never really considered any Bethesda game particularly difficult and im not even that good at video games

It's not really THAT difficult, but sometimes the game likes to throw you four deathclaws in a row. I find the whole thing much more enjoyable when I know I won't die.

I usually use "immortal" mode, though, not god mode, because stuff like AP and ammo still apply and you still lose HP, you just can't get below 1hp.

CornHolio posted:

My mom called last night. She thinks she might have cervical cancer. Heading to a doctor today. She says she has all the symptoms, and she had breast cancer over 20 years ago so she's pretty high risk for cancer in general.

drat man, that sucks. I'm sure it'll be OK :glomp:

(gently caress cancer)

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

literally a fish posted:

It's not really THAT difficult, but sometimes the game likes to throw you four deathclaws in a row. I find the whole thing much more enjoyable when I know I won't die.

Idk i haven't played it yet but usually they put that sort of stuff in places you're not really supposed to go yet. Like in new Vegas you could just go straight up the highway to Vegas but you'll get mauled by deathclaws so you have to go all the way round on the otherside of the mountains and by the time youve got to the other end you can take care of the deathclaws and its like :hellyeah:

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

CornHolio posted:

Waiting is the worst part. Yes and no have routes to take in either case, a maybe blows. Hang tough, tard.

MrsAdiabatic fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 24, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Sorry to hear about your mom. :( My HS GF had cervical cancer and my mom had to have a hysterectomy (sp?) half a decade ago so I feel your pain.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Damnit. Sorry, man. :glomp:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Saying a silent prayer for your mom.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I appreciate it guys. I really do. Be sure to tell your loved ones that you love them because you never know how much time you have.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Suicide Bomber comedy option:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Got back yesterday from Minneapolis. The rental car was a 2014 Mazda6 with the 2.0L motor. It returned 35mpg over the course of the trip (~600 miles).

Good car.

• Locked thread