Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Nope, commit more genocide on rats now please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

McGavin posted:

I don't know... It's like whole generations of those things have died at my hands. Mothers, fathers, grandfathers, little baby rats. Sometimes I wonder if our lives are really more valuable than theirs. You know what I mean?

Nope, no idea what you are talking about. Sounds like your brain is broken, killing more rats should fix it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Night10194 posted:

It might be you just really like guns better than giant hammers and rapiers and poo poo.

I sure hope that isn't the case, I would be very disappointed with myself. For real though, I used melee weapons to a fault in l4d2 and love Berserker in KF2, so I dunno. (Payday has really lovely melee that they keep making worse, so we'll ignore that one.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

McGavin posted:

I don't know... It's like whole generations of those things have died at my hands. Mothers, fathers, grandfathers, little baby rats. Sometimes I wonder if our lives are really more valuable than theirs. You know what I mean?

The rats themselves are very happy to murder their own and also generally launch these huge invasions because there are too many rats and they intend to pare down the population through getting a bunch of their own shanked so they don't all resort to cannibalism. More than they usually do.

Oh, Skaven.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Night10194 posted:

The rats themselves are very happy to murder their own and also generally launch these huge invasions because there are too many rats and they intend to pare down the population through getting a bunch of their own shanked so they don't all resort to cannibalism. More than they usually do.

Oh, Skaven.

I’ve seen it once before in a rat. And I see it now in men. Once one gets a taste for its own kind it can spread through the pack like a wildfire. Mindlessly chomping and biting at their own kind. Nothing but the taste of flesh on their minds. You know the thing about a rat? It’s got no life in its eyes. Black eyes like a doll’s eyes. Don’t seem to be living at all when it comes at you. Until it bites you. And then the eyes roll over white. You don’t hear nothing but the screaming and the hollering…

McGavin fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 23, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Night10194 posted:

Oh, Skaven.

At least this will be a fun bit of trivia the next time I play. :stare:

Also, I heard someone saying that potions of strength work on grenades letting you deal a ton of damage to a rat ogre quickly, anyone know if that's true?

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

McGavin posted:

It’s ok, I got it :)

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

McGavin posted:

I mean there's way way way more of them so I guess objectively our lives are worth more.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Geight posted:

Also, I heard someone saying that potions of strength work on grenades letting you deal a ton of damage to a rat ogre quickly, anyone know if that's true?

This is true. It also affects ranged attacks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Geight posted:

Very true. It also seems to massively increase the beam staff's channeled attack, far more than it does for other attacks.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Night10194 posted:

I mean I feel basically the same way except it was L4D that bored me a ton while I loving love hitting rats, despite knowing they're both well designed games, and I've figured out it's mostly that I really like the melee aspect.

This is me exactly. Shooting guns into zombies isn't that interesting to me, but slicing, chopping, and pounding them to bloody bits just makes me grin like an idiot.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Killing rats is hit or miss on its own.

Killing rats with friends is a joy to all.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Getting two dice when you get both grims, all three tomes, and both loot dice is really sad :(

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I figured out the secret to using the Wizard's Bolt Staff: don't bother with the crappy left click pew-pews. Even on Nightmare, a right click fire lance with the bare minimum of charging will gib through as many clan rats as you can line up. Fully charge it for storm vermins. A minimum lance will hardly even use more heat than the 3-4 pew-pews it takes to kill a little guy.

It is, maybe surprisingly, not that great against roger the rat ogre. One of her big advantages is having unlimited ammo, with slightly longer reload/cooldown times between big shots. Wizard does better keeping the horde away.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 23, 2015

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Why the hell does this game refuse to load 90% of the time? Seriously, if I could, I'd get a refund it's so bad.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nebiros posted:

There's an elf in the party.

Dwarves don't like elves, but they don't hate elves. They did hate elves, but then they fought a massive war with them and now they don't. After they killed their king and took his crown, that grudge got settled.

Also, it's not just dwarves who hate orcs. If you're an imperial citizen, orcs are one of the things that are trying to kill you like all the time, along with beastmen, chaosmen, and diseases from eating the wrong pies. Wood Elves also have serious problems with orcs, who are always gettin into their forests and trying to start fights.
Orcs would work best as a spoiler, showing up in the middle of a battle and fighting everyone. They're not your friends, but they can help you by fighting the ratties before they turn to fight you 'umies and stunty.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

When Heroic Killing Blow procs on a Rat Ogre, does the Rat Ogre body stick around, or does it disappear in a fine red mist like the instakill animation on mooks?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Grondoth posted:

Dwarves don't like elves, but they don't hate elves. They did hate elves, but then they fought a massive war with them and now they don't. After they killed their king and took his crown, that grudge got settled.

Also, it's not just dwarves who hate orcs. If you're an imperial citizen, orcs are one of the things that are trying to kill you like all the time, along with beastmen, chaosmen, and diseases from eating the wrong pies. Wood Elves also have serious problems with orcs, who are always gettin into their forests and trying to start fights.
Orcs would work best as a spoiler, showing up in the middle of a battle and fighting everyone. They're not your friends, but they can help you by fighting the ratties before they turn to fight you 'umies and stunty.

I don't care about 'lore accuracy', I just want to play as Kaptan Bloodflag and stomp some runty gitz.

StringOfLetters posted:

I figured out the secret to using the Wizard's Bolt Staff: don't bother with the crappy left click pew-pews. Even on Nightmare, a right click fire lance with the bare minimum of charging will gib through as many clan rats as you can line up. Fully charge it for storm vermins. A minimum lance will hardly even use more heat than the 3-4 pew-pews it takes to kill a little guy.

The pew pew works really well against Roger with a strength potion, especially if you have a high regrowth rating on it. It's possible to heal enough that by the time you max heat, you've healed all that you would vent back down to normal.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

McGavin posted:

Kill them all, become king of the rats

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

McGavin posted:

Yeah. They are. Our lives definitely are, yea. Without a doubt. If that makes you feel any better.

So get back to it? Jump right back in there tiger! Get on the horse, Charlie! Bash! Bash 'em up!

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

loving late as poo poo but I can't ignore it, being as that is my steam name

I just want one good two-handed club, just a big loving thing with knobs on it, none of this hammer/axe/sword poo poo, just give me a big goddamned rat bashing stick already!!

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 24, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Geight posted:

Yeah I'm not trying to stomp in here and rain on everyone's parade for having fun with it, more just trying to figure out why -this- horde-killing game is suddenly boring to me when I was perfectly fine wasting hundreds of hours on payday, l4d, KF, etc.

For whatever reason I'm not getting a :hellyeah: feeling when I slay rats, and the game is about slaying rats, so.

:shrug: I really liked L4D but couldn't take L4D2. It's ok to not like games man, you don't have to puzzle out exactly why. Take a break, come back in a week or two and see if it clicks better and the patch/dlc thing whatever it is that is coming up.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Gimnbo posted:

The ragdolling that occurs with the mace is just brutal. It's some Ren and Stimpy poo poo.

Pictured: Motion-capture model for the 2h hammer animation

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

There's a tweet about the December 3 DLC, looks like you can craft poo poo using ore at the altar? The picture just shows a sword or a bow icon so maybe you can't choose which weapon exactly you'll get but hopefully you can choose which character at least.
https://twitter.com/VermintideGame/status/668930929897906176

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The artists need to be shot. It's the guy on the back of the griffons that carries a big hammer, not the griffons themselves.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Tagichatn posted:

There's a tweet about the December 3 DLC, looks like you can craft poo poo using ore at the altar? The picture just shows a sword or a bow icon so maybe you can't choose which weapon exactly you'll get but hopefully you can choose which character at least.
https://twitter.com/VermintideGame/status/668930929897906176

It's possible that the sword and bow could refer to melee and ranged. Perhaps the question mark includes hats and trinkets.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tommofork posted:

The artists need to be shot. It's the guy on the back of the griffons that carries a big hammer, not the griffons themselves.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tommofork posted:

The Griffin is considered the Royal animal of the Empire (sort of like the lion and the unicorn in the UK) so it features heavily in their designs.

The hammer is not only a sign of the Emperor but also Sigmar, the Empire's main God, as the hammer has been passed from Emperor to Emperor ever since Sigmar was given the hammer way back when.

So having the Griffin stylised as holding a hammer isn't actually that unusual, the lion and the unicorn on the British Monarch's coat of arms are holding the shield with the actual coat of arms on it, and the lion is symbolised in the UK all the time.

So yeah, not that weird when you think about it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I hope we get a vampire character next as playable character. Hopefully not one too op though

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Is the soldier Arquebus pure garbage? Seems like a ranged weapon with limited range is a pretty stupid idea.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

Is the soldier Arquebus pure garbage? Seems like a ranged weapon with limited range is a pretty stupid idea.

You're talking about the blunderbuss because the arquebus is a big-dicked ratslayer, but yes the blunderbuss is very bad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The dorf's over-under seems popular enough, though. Is it just the extra shot people like or does it actually do more damage, or have more range, or whatever.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

amuayse posted:

I hope we get a vampire character next as playable character. Hopefully not one too op though

We already have a stuck up tumblr-tard, we don't need two.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I don't know why anyone would want to use the grudgeraker unless you got some AMAZING rolls on a legendary, and even then you want your ranged option to be a special slayer if you're playing soldier/dwarf so it better be tailored for that and not killing swarms. Why use a gun to fruitlessly knock out a few rats when you could CLEAVE 'EM IN TWAIN?! :black101:

Maybe they just don't know any better, idk.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah blunderbuss, not arquebus. Of course my first decent green drop is a blunderbuss. :(

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

But Not Tonight posted:

I don't know why anyone would want to use the grudgeraker unless you got some AMAZING rolls on a legendary, and even then you want your ranged option to be a special slayer if you're playing soldier/dwarf so it better be tailored for that and not killing swarms. Why use a gun to fruitlessly knock out a few rats when you could CLEAVE 'EM IN TWAIN?! :black101:

Maybe they just don't know any better, idk.

Because it lets you play the game like it was Doom? Just because someone plays dwarf doesn't obligate them to snipe all specials ever.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah the grudgeraker is basically what you use if you don't have a set of drakefires. Like, any set of Drakefires.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I have a grudgeraker with double ammo capacity per clip and it's the most :hellyeah: thing ever to spray 4 shotgun blasts into a crowd

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Inaccurate spread weapons like the grudge fucker are still good for taking out some specials. Hook guys and assassin guys get staggered and go down even if they're in a crowd.

I got disconnected during the run to the wagon of two consecutive Nightmare&Grimoire games. On 'Machines of War,' we wiped out two stormvermin patrols - one with a strength potion and a bomb, because it was in the way, and the second during some horde fuckery by accident. I want my loot rolls, I'm ready to cheat now.

I got something called a 'trueflight longbow' for an elf, it's orange and it has 30% more ammo, and 10-20% chance to regain ammo on a kill, and something else with attack speed. Is that good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah that's pretty good

• Locked thread