Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Feel like I'm missing all sorts of good stuff (Dick Trauma) by sticking to only this thread and not the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There's the poo poo pissing you off thread, but I don't know if there's a third shsc drama thread.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Working in IT is the third SHSC E/N thread.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Collateral Damage posted:

Working in IT is the third SHSC E/N thread.

Hey, don't forget about the small shop thread

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

DT are you married? Do you have kids? Have you ever pissed on a native american grave? We need to know these things ahead of time to avoid last minute bombs on our success stories.

Not married, no kids, but I'm a long-time blasphemer who can't so much as get a cup of coffee without taking the Lord's name in vain. Also my soul has been crushed down to a sodden black wad of misery. I was hoping all those years of pressure would've produced a diamond instead.

My money's on getting axed before the end of the year to save them having to do a performance eval. Frankly it's been many years since I worked for anyone I wanted an eval from. I certainly don't need to hear this boss tell me what she thinks my deficiencies are.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

SHSC is the techno-e/n

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dick Trauma posted:

Not married, no kids, but I'm a long-time blasphemer who can't so much as get a cup of coffee without taking the Lord's name in vain. Also my soul has been crushed down to a sodden black wad of misery. I was hoping all those years of pressure would've produced a diamond instead.

My money's on getting axed before the end of the year to save them having to do a performance eval. Frankly it's been many years since I worked for anyone I wanted an eval from. I certainly don't need to hear this boss tell me what she thinks my deficiencies are.

You really need a change of career.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

spog posted:

You really need a change of career.

I disagree, none of his problems arise from the work he's doing. It's all from the people he interacts with.

The career is fine, but working in small businesses is his downfall. DT, you need a giant corporation where you can slink back in to a chair, do some work, get paid, and leave it at that.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Guys, he doesn't care about the paternity test, it doesn't matter to him. He's already said he's determined to love and raise these kids, why does it matter if they resulted from his wrigglers or the other guys?

Aside from the practical issues (divorce, support, medical history) Because that's easy to say in the moment. You don't think it'd eat at anyone? Not really knowing if my children are mine or the result of my wife's infidelity? Maybe larches is a superior evolved human, maybe he's just in shock trying to hold onto something.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It'd be pretty cool if we could stick to "I'm sorry to hear that Larches" without devolving into redpill poo poo, tia

Where's the redpill poo poo?

Anyway, a store manual draft came in. Boss wants me to edit this for grammar and consistency. Here's the introduction, untouched (except to remove identifying information):

quote:

The motto of “Sunnyvale Trailer Park Computer Repair, LLC”: “Help the community and the money will come. It is our duty and privilege to help others as we would want someone to help us.”
We offer a service that is unique to this area. A business that really does care about the local people and their needs. We have to keep in mind that the people that we are serving are counting on us to know how to help them, whatever our duties may be. If they knew how to fix their equipment then they would. No one, even employees, should be made to feel bad in any way about what they don’t know.
Over the years I have come to the understanding that we are not going to please everyone. We are going to have the customers that are hard to deal with. See it from their perspective, they are dealing with something that they see as confusing and often scary. They may be acting out because computers, cell phones, tablets and more have become almost, if not more important than transportation.
They need to be consoled (even if it is there fault) and let them know that it happens to most people and not to worry about it.
Because of our unique Business moto I also know that “MONEY” will come when we need it if we are patient and understanding of others.
Everyone, to my knowledge, has practiced this to the letter and I have been told that our employees on all levels have been extremely patient and respectful. This is what I like to hear and see.
Keep up the Great work every one!
Signed Ricky CEO

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's a whole lot of words used to say very little. Has Ricky considered a career in politics?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Collateral Damage posted:

That's a whole lot of words used to say very little. Has Ricky considered a career in politics?

So I wasn't the only one who felt like they were reading a lot of words and getting nothing out of it?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Where's the redpill poo poo?

It's more that things were headed in that direction, with people responding like you can and should just bail on your kids if you can get away with it (as in those you raised, not necessarily genetically). I believe larches when he says he really loves his kids and that a paternity test or whatever wouldn't change that. And given what his relationship was like it does sound like this is probably the best possible direction for him to go in.

I will say that IT and raising kids is rough, though, since I'm going through exactly that now. I could sort-of deal with the bullshit in my job when I could get up 10 minutes before I had to leave and could unwind as soon as I got home, but that's sure as gently caress no longer possible and after a little over a year it's taking a pretty serious toll on me, which I'm dealing with but it's certainly more challenging than I expected.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ChubbyThePhat posted:

So I wasn't the only one who felt like they were reading a lot of words and getting nothing out of it?

I still have no idea what the company is supposed to do.

Also, gently caress any business that says "The money will come". Not if you don't go get it! A way better agenda is to "Provide value to the community" because that implies you'll get paid for the poo poo you do, that you're important, and you're still contributing to the better good of the customer base.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

I will say that IT and raising kids is rough, though, since I'm going through exactly that now. I could sort-of deal with the bullshit in my job when I could get up 10 minutes before I had to leave and could unwind as soon as I got home, but that's sure as gently caress no longer possible and after a little over a year it's taking a pretty serious toll on me, which I'm dealing with but it's certainly more challenging than I expected.

This is one reason I'm a little hesitant to go out and try to get a new job at a more interesting place. I know that once I get my CCNA I'll really start looking, but I'd like to just move into a different department here if possible. The stress level's almost non-existent here, compared to my last job, where I was basically having panic attacks on Sunday evenings. That was before I had a daughter and I don't want to think about trying to handle a job like that and not having the ~5 hours after work to do whatever I wanted like I did back then.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

univbee posted:

It's more that things were headed in that direction, with people responding like you can and should just bail on your kids if you can get away with it (as in those you raised, not necessarily genetically). I believe larches when he says he really loves his kids and that a paternity test or whatever wouldn't change that. And given what his relationship was like it does sound like this is probably the best possible direction for him to go in.

Oh okay. Yeah I don't think he should bail on his kids, but I can understand the impulse.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I still have no idea what the company is supposed to do.

Also, gently caress any business that says "The money will come". Not if you don't go get it! A way better agenda is to "Provide value to the community" because that implies you'll get paid for the poo poo you do, that you're important, and you're still contributing to the better good of the customer base.
We're a small shop (6 employees at the moment) that fixes computers and consumer electronics and classes for people on computer use and internet security.

His philosophy is essentially based on karma and faith, or in other words complete chance. I'm honestly baffled how this business has survived for 7 years, but it has. He's also a Moonie and a mason, so that's nice too.

Right now his phone keeps going off every 5 minutes with this weird angelic hymn because he can't set his alarm to dismiss instead of snooze.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The conversation about kids and family life that's blurring on the line of personal advice has dragged on enough at this point. I'm one of the first offenders, so my apologies.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

The conversation about kids and family life that's blurring on the line of personal advice has dragged on enough at this point. I'm one of the first offenders, so my apologies.

Goons are just trying to convince dude to reformat and reinstall his life but he keeps obsessing over his backups.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

i love this guy :allears:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
A shell script that makes coffee for you is one thing, but a shell script that is designed so that the coffee is made specifically for you and is set up so that it's ready the instant you arrive at the coffee machine is some next level poo poo.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

A shell script that makes coffee for you is one thing, but a shell script that is designed so that the coffee is made specifically for you and is set up so that it's ready the instant you arrive at the coffee machine is some next level poo poo.

if you're gonna go in, you might as well go in all the way

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

deep impact on vhs posted:

if you're gonna go in, you might as well go in all the way

Is anyone worried about how, exactly, one can open up an SSH instance to a coffee machine? I've not see one that can connect to any sort of computer network, like ever.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

I want to believe, but it reads too much like dailywtf fakeposts to me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

RyuHimora posted:

Is anyone worried about how, exactly, one can open up an SSH instance to a coffee machine? I've not see one that can connect to any sort of computer network, like ever.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some on hackaday or something where someone would wire up a raspi or something to the various buttons. But that would be extremely noticeable.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think it may have been a vending machine that was connected to the network.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Guessing he hacked up one of these guys.

http://www.mrcoffee.com/coffee-make...C-PSTX91WE.html

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our network connected vending machines have raspberry pi's built in straight from the manufacturer.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
with this lovely new IoT/connected world it wouldn't surprise me if a coffee machine was running sshd

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

deep impact on vhs posted:

with this lovely new IoT/connected world it wouldn't surprise me if a coffee machine was running sshd

... with root login enabled and no passwords.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Right now his phone keeps going off every 5 minutes with this weird angelic hymn because he can't set his alarm to dismiss instead of snooze.
Sounds like he needs to be consoled. Have you told him he shouldn't feel bad about what he doesn't know and that a lot of people have that problem? I'm sure if you do this the bonus will come.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Knormal posted:

Sounds like he needs to be consoled. Have you told him he shouldn't feel bad about what he doesn't know and that a lot of people have that problem? I'm sure if you do this the bonus will come.

its there own fault

The owner is stupid, bigoted (the kind of bigot that pretends he's not but "doesn't approve of the lifestyle", funny story about that actually), arrogant, has serious anger issues he attempts to medicate with liberal application of Xanax, and has a knowledge base that's over a decade old and is built on cargo-cult instruction to begin with. He believes that all computers (no matter what they're used for) should run enterprise-level endpoint antivirus, that having over 3 gigabytes of data on the desktop causes crashes, that Steam was until recently a portal for viruses, spends way too much on "military-grade" motherboards but cheaps out on power supplies... When I first started working here we didn't have proper garbage disposal, and the owner's idea of a trash bin was a garbage bag clamped to his desk. I had to keep harassing him to get a proper trash bin, which he never got, and I had to end up ordering one from Newegg while we bought a bunch of parts.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 24, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Crowley posted:

This. Let's do this.

also: We have heat again! Let's play: "IT - The Sauna"

Ha, my last job had the opposite problem, and always in the winter - the heating system would randomly just break and stop working, but the fan stayed on so it would circulate freezing cold air through the entire floor. Since it was an office that we leased, it was a pain in the rear end having to call building management, who called HVAC techs, who usually didn't show up for hours while we were all huddled at our desks in full winter gear or pulling space heaters out. The coldest I think it got was down in the mid 30s inside, and outside was like 20 below and windy as gently caress. We dealt with that poo poo at least 5 times in less than 3 months, it was ridiculous.

Funny thing about space heaters in that office - apparently the electrical couldn't handle having more than 2-3 heaters going at once. We found out the hard way when two ladies in the office turned on their heaters at the same time and killed power to half the office. This was in spring when temps were in the 60s and 70s, and the office was usually consistently around 72-74 in spring/summer. Then again, if they wore clothes that weren't as thin as loving Kleenex, or layered better, they wouldn't be so goddamn cold, but I digress.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 24, 2015

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sheep posted:

... with root login enabled and no passwords.

All Mr.Coffee's come with built in botnets that hijack Keurigs on the same network and force the lcd screens to read "gently caress you"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nerdrock posted:

Goons are just trying to convince dude to reformat and reinstall his life but he keeps obsessing over his backups.
Someone email me when we start pissing in the computer.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've been kicking back today, thinking of the poo poo show that is that news station already. The CE blaming larches for everything in his absence while infrastructure slowly fails and crumbles around him. Cant wait to hear what lovely cheap fixes he comes up with.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

All Mr.Coffee's come with built in botnets that hijack Keurigs on the same network and force the lcd screens to read "gently caress you"

:lol:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://blog.zipwhip.com/2013/06/18/zipwhip-text-enabling-of-the-delonghi-magnifica-espresso-machine

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's too bad he didn't implement HTCPCP.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I got quitcanned today.

Basically I got pulled into a meeting over an issue that I'd requested escalation in for an onsite engineer but never received a response from on the appropriate team. It was approaching the end of my shift so I handed it off to the next shift coming in to pass off. Apparently they didn't pass it off or put it in, and the issue never got escalated and the client got mad because the ball was dropped.

Basically their version of events was I never did anything for this person. Long story short, I did not back down and was fired for insubordination. gently caress this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jeoh posted:

It's too bad he didn't implement HTCPCP.

It really is.

• Locked thread