Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

I used the Adonit Jot (both the disc kind and the Touch Pixelpoint). While they both worked, I preferred the disc one over the Touch since it could get a little finicky. The big draw for me on the Touch was the iPad rejecting all input if the stylus was paired while in an app that used Adonit's API. While that part worked well, stylus input with the Touch could go wildly wrong on the Air 2. So I stuck with the Jot Pro, no real complaints. It's a solid accurate stylus.

Yeah I tried one of their disc ones as well but I couldn't get over the feel of this plastic disc mashing against a glass screen, and the sound it made in quiet lecture halls.

The idea is good, though.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

japtor posted:

Does it happen on all videos (i.e. sure it's not the videos themselves?), and does it happen after a restart? Is the second video/audio seemingly random or do you know the source (like another tab/app has it open)?

Random videos though it seems to be music. Not always music from my library. Happens on all videos. No other tabs open. I'll try restarting to see if that helps.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I got my ipad pro and it's cool but I am very annoyed that the keyboard won't ship for a few weeks, so if I want a stand/cover thing I have to wait for the keyboard to show up, or buy a cover now that will be totally useless once I have the keyboard.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I got my ipad pro and it's cool but I am very annoyed that the keyboard won't ship for a few weeks, so if I want a stand/cover thing I have to wait for the keyboard to show up, or buy a cover now that will be totally useless once I have the keyboard.

The cover shows up randomly in the Apple stores near me in the Chicago burbs (I'd rather it was the Pencil)

I have the Logitech CREATE and I picked up the Smart Keyboard today (Apple is currently allowing returns from now through the end of the year). From a usable keyboard perspective, the Logitech wins hands down. It's just so bulky and heavy compared to the sleekness of the Smart Keyboard. I'm going to see if I can adjust to the SK over the next week. Either way, one of them is going back after Thanksgiving.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't want the keyboard case, but I also hate the new virtual keyboard. I wish I could make it use the one regular iPads have.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

What's wrong with it? Finally don't have to go through menus for numbers and punctuation.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flosofl posted:

The cover shows up randomly in the Apple stores near me in the Chicago burbs (I'd rather it was the Pencil)

I have the Logitech CREATE and I picked up the Smart Keyboard today (Apple is currently allowing returns from now through the end of the year). From a usable keyboard perspective, the Logitech wins hands down. It's just so bulky and heavy compared to the sleekness of the Smart Keyboard. I'm going to see if I can adjust to the SK over the next week. Either way, one of them is going back after Thanksgiving.

Please do report back after some time with it. I returned the Logitech because it's rough shite but I only touched the SK for about 5 min and the lack of key travel made me feel like the keys were stuck/broken. Wondering if I could adapt....

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mattavist posted:

What's wrong with it? Finally don't have to go through menus for numbers and punctuation.

I don't like the size of the keys.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCwXiS9K1L4

I had no idea ProCreate could export little vids of your illustrations. Pretty neat!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Went and played with the pro again. It still feels comically huge but I brought with me couple of big rear end PDF plans from work, AirDropped them to it and holy loving poo poo I want a Pro so bad right now. I didn't even need to zoom. I can't imagine how awesome it must be for annotating and marking poo poo up on PDF Expert (which the demo units sadly don't have).

The pencil however didn't feel good. Maybe I was not used to it but it feels like the pressure tip can wear out / break / bend if I'm not super careful with it. Maybe the demo pencil has been getting tons of use.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The pencil however didn't feel good. Maybe I was not used to it but it feels like the pressure tip can wear out / break / bend if I'm not super careful with it. Maybe the demo pencil has been getting tons of use.

To me it felt too slippery / glossy. Meanwhile, it comes with a replacement nib in the box for wearing out.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

For some reason when I watch YouTube videos on my up-to-date Air 2, I get the audio from a second unrelated video playing at the same time. This happens in Safari and the YouTube app. Anyone else getting this?

It's also happened to me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The sideways keyboard is a lot easier to type with. Guess I'll just have to use Awful sideways.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Please do report back after some time with it. I returned the Logitech because it's rough shite but I only touched the SK for about 5 min and the lack of key travel made me feel like the keys were stuck/broken. Wondering if I could adapt....

OK, I only lasted a day on the Smart Keyboard. Can't stand it. Keeping the Logitech and returning the Smart Keyboard.

Smart Keyboard:
The Good:
  • Unbelievably thin as a cover.
  • Keyboard folds away easily out of the way for use as just a stand, or to lay the iPad flat to use a stylus.
The Neutral:
  • The keys were a bit mushy but mostly OK for touch typing.
The Bad:
  • Not enough keys. At the very least give me a "Home" key
  • The top row is too close and I found my fingers brush the screen loving everything up
  • Angle of iPad is too steep
  • Can only use in landscape mode.
  • Expensive as hell.
Logitech CREATE:
The Good:
  • Keyboard feels more or less like a laptop keyboard. There decent springiness and travel. I keep reaching for a touchpad at times.
  • More keys. There's an entire row of keys above the number for functions like screen brightness, volume, music/video controls and LOCK and HOME buttons. HOW THE gently caress COULD YOU NOT INCLUDE THESE APPLE?
  • Very comfortable for long periods of writing, which I am doing more and more on the iPad using Word and/or Pages.
The Neutral:
  • Illuminated keyboard. This almost made it to the "Good" category, but I honestly don't care one way or the other.
  • The angle of the iPad is much better, but I wish there was a way to have a choice of angles.
  • It's not cheap, but it's better than the SK.
The Bad:
  • Bulky as hell. I find I only attach it when I'm going to do long stretches of writing. You can fold it over flat if you want to use a stylus, but the iPad is about an inch above whatever surface you're using.
  • No way to use just as a stand with the keyboard out of the way.
  • Still stuck in landscape to use keyboard. I realize I may have to remove this from my criteria due to the nature of Smart Connector peripherals.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 20, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That's disappointing... Thanks for your impressions. I may just wait it out for some cool future device that uses the smart connector. I may just get a Smart Cover ( I need a cover and a prop-up for movie watching...)

The wireless Apple BT keyboard still works, right?

[Ed] man the Smart Cover looks like it would tip over when being used as a stand.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 20, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It holds pretty well.

For $80 it better.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Btw... Calling it now. Counting the days until in a grand "iPod sock"-like fashion, some kind of grip tape thingy is released for the very awesome but very smoooooth Apple Pencil.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

Btw... Calling it now. Counting the days until in a grand "iPod sock"-like fashion, some kind of grip tape thingy is released for the very awesome but very smoooooth Apple Pencil.
These things will make a big comeback, Apple ones will be $29.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I have a purple one on mine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

japtor posted:

These things will make a big comeback, Apple ones will be $29.

I think it was on Reddit, but someone found out that the metal collar clips from Pentel (pentax? something like that) cheap-rear end mechanical pencils fit it perfectly.

Apple's version will be $39.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
The Russians just used a Pencil.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Do people really prefer using cases here over sleeves? I totally get it for phones but cases totally wreck the iPad experience for me (especially floppy-rear end covers), as :smug: as that may sound. Same goes for aluminum MacBooks. I'd much rather keep my rMBP in a sleeve or on my desk than slap a hardshell on it.

I've had an Air 1 for over a year now and the thing's as naked as when it was pulled out of the box. I keep it in one of these whenever it isn't in use and it's pristine. And I really use my iPad a lot and take it all over.

The Herschel case has probably the best quality I've seen for the price (better if you get it for $13 at TJ Maxx like I did, tho). I think the padding is quite good and the fit and finish are excellent. The outer materials are hardwearing and the fleece interior is a very nice touch.

The only thing worse on an iPad than a case is a case with an attached keyboard, which is why I like this thing. It's portable enough for my needs and the typing experience is much better than most iPad keyboards'. I also like the Keys to Go if you'd rather have some more portability and ruggedness at the expense of typing feel and cost. My girlfriend has a venerable Ultrathin Keyboard, which I personally hate and don't recommend. The build quality's also a little suspect.

Soft synths and music apps are one of my primary iPad uses so I'm naturally curious about the Pro. I haven't seen it in person yet but the sense I'm getting is that, for me, it would benefit from exactly the same treatment. No hard case or floppy bits and a separate keyboard for when you need it. The ProCREATE looks godawful for when you want a tablet and I couldn't fathom making an already big tablet even bigger.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I used the tech21 case on my mini 2 and now I have an apple silicone case on my mini 4.

I also keep it in a neoprene sleeve when I'm traveling with it.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I prefer sleeves too and also carried my Air 1 naked in a sleeve. My mini 4 has the smart cover on until I find a sleeve that I like.

Also carried my original iPad Gen1 naked too.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
How do you prop it up if you don't use a case?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I like the smart case. It's a bit different on a mini in my opinion, because the thing is light and small enough to hold like a folded over magazine for a long time. Mini sized iPad forever.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-GamePad-Stand-Cradle-Nintendo-U/dp/B009AFLXTS

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stefan Prodan posted:

I honestly don't prop it up very often. I keep some cheap little stands around for the rare occasion that I do.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It's really dumb now Apple ships the iPad Pro with the same 12W charger. It doesn't output the proper full amperage for the Pro and it charges dog slow, which is really disappointing my dad. I ordered him a $10 24W Anker, but still, why did Apple do this? Saving 2 cents per unit doesn't seem worthwhile for a blatantly underspec charger.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 23, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Killer Queen posted:

It's really dumb now Apple ships the iPad Pro with the same 12W charger. It doesn't output the proper full amperage for the Pro and it charges dog slow, which is really disappointing my dad. I ordered him a $10 24W Anker, but still, why did Apple do this? Saving 2 cents per unit doesn't seem worthwhile for a blatantly underspec charger.

So does the thing die when you use it plugged in like an iPad with an iPhone charger? Because that would be funny if true.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

Killer Queen posted:

Don't 24w chargers split that over two ports? And wasn't the iPad 4's battery even bigger than the Pro's?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MrNonacho posted:

Don't 24w chargers split that over two ports? And wasn't the iPad 4's battery even bigger than the Pro's?
Either the 3 or the 4, yeah. I still have a pair of 15W from that era that I use instead of the 12W that came with my Air 2.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MrNonacho posted:

I don't think it splits it down the middle. According to the spec sheet it has a "pool" of 5V@4.8A available. It will probably supply whatever the upper limit of the charging circuitry in the device will take (up to 24W). I imagine if you charge a phone and an iPad it will first split, and if one device doesn't pull the full 12W, the surplus will go over the 2nd port (if the device will take that much).

I've got one on the way, and I'll compare charge times on my Pro. I don't feel like cracking it open to put a volt-meter on it to verify.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

flosofl posted:

I don't feel like cracking it open to put a volt-meter on it to verify.

Do it for science! :science:

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Does anyone with a Pro have Final Fantasy VI? Want to get it but not gonna drop the cash if it doesn't work on larger screens.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I do not expect devs to bother addressing, but the larger screen of the Pro does definitely show a bit more rough edges in game assets, etc...

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Mattavist posted:

Does anyone with a Pro have Final Fantasy VI? Want to get it but not gonna drop the cash if it doesn't work on larger screens.

I've got one and VII and they suffer the same thing most apps do these days- they're just upsized apps at this point so yeah, the assets are a bit rough but it's playable.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got an Adonit Jot Touch Pixelpoint but I can't tell if it's defective or if I'm doing something wrong.

I've followed the pairing videos on my iPad Air1 for several specifically-supported apps, but when I do the "hold stylus to the circle on the screen with the stylus powered on" nothing happens.

The thing doesn't even work as a regular dumb capacitive stylus... Is it supposed to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
I'm tired of using a case which will inevitably shatter into a million pieces and want to go with a sleeve and something like the Smart Cover that has a stand, since usually I transport the iPad (Mini 2) in a bag. Over half of my usage is propped up landscape and I'm coming from a case with a bunch of different angles but I usually only use the top two or three. I'm hearing some mixed reviews on how the Smart Cover works as a stand - are there any good alternatives? I obviously don't care about the protection part, just being able to prop the thing up without enclosing it in a huge thick plastic case.