Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Notorious QIG posted:

yeah i pulled out a piece of paper to figure it out, then when i realized the answer was really mad at bethesda for including a "figure out the code!" segment that was so laughably simple

its a goddamn miracle the institute hasn't already found them
username: password
password: username

fool proof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
oh okay, thanks. like I know the freedom trail is a real thing in Boston but that's all I know. Something about a bell that cracked when it was made but somehow it's still important, and also maybe john adams? idk much about the revolutionary war

I assumed it required a tiny bit of actual knowledge about 1776

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

oh okay, thanks. like I know the freedom trail is a real thing in Boston but that's all I know. Something about a bell that cracked when it was made but somehow it's still important, and also maybe john adams? idk much about the revolutionary war

I assumed it required a tiny bit of actual knowledge about 1776

:mad:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

wait pinterest mom aren't you canadian too? idk anything about 1776 but i bet americans don't know poo poo about Jacques Cartier (right this way)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Blackula69 posted:

wait pinterest mom aren't you canadian too? idk anything about 1776 but i bet americans don't know poo poo about Jacques Cartier (right this way)

I agree, as our premier client state we could stand to learn a lot more about Canada

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

yeah, but I know the liberty bell is in philly

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

oh yeah, right. that was where the continental congress was, right? maybe i'm not so ignorant after all

anyway, learning a lot about boston history and geography via fallout 4. upset that only some NPCs have the accent

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Blackula69 posted:

oh yeah, right. that was where the continental congress was, right? maybe i'm not so ignorant after all

anyway, learning a lot about boston history and geography via fallout 4. upset that only some NPCs have the accent

yeah, philly was the first capital of the us. given the fact that the modern fallouts tend to be very heavily based on revolutionary americana, i suspect fallout 5 will be in philly

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

there's this lady who used to be on a video games podcast I like who actively suppresses her New England accent, which I think is terrible because that accent rules.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:rip: danielle

(it's a rhode island accent)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
park the power armor in the harvard yard

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Notorious QIG posted:

yeah, philly was the first capital of the us. given the fact that the modern fallouts tend to be very heavily based on revolutionary americana, i suspect fallout 5 will be in philly
with the exception of new vegas anyway

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

liberty bells were mass-produced by specialized "statesmen" for the summoning rituals of continental congress members, r ight

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

haveblue posted:

park the power armor in the harvard yard

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

:rip: danielle

(it's a rhode island accent)

it's deffo a class thing because the other guys were all super supportive of her decision to do a crazy thing

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Phoenixan posted:

with the exception of new vegas anyway

sure, but new vegas was also a different company. i expect bethesda to keep doing this east coast americana stuff

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

whats the rest of the world meant to be like in fallout anyway?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
russia is exactly the same as it is today only with mutant bears instead of regular bears

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Awia posted:

europe was mainly destroyed during the war, the nukes were primarily between china and the us, not sure about russia/africa/south america

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

the parking garage across the street from west roxbury station and the general hospital status:

what

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

things were already supposed to be pretty bad in the world before the bombs even dropped, no?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

europe was mainly destroyed during the war, the nukes were primarily between china and the us, not sure about russia/africa/south america

bit rude

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Al! posted:

things were already supposed to be pretty bad in the world before the bombs even dropped, no?

yeah, no more gas, economy is in shambles, everyone hates everyone else

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

thermonuclear car crashes sound p rad tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

yeah, no more gas, economy is in shambles, everyone hates everyone else

the opening in fo4 was incredibly stupid.
"We harnessed the power of the atom for unlimited energy"
"oh poo poo ignore whatever we just said. we ran out of energy for some reason cause we're lazy writers . everything is bad now"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder why no one was pulling the reactor cores out of the cars. Clearly they still have a lot of energy

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shaggar posted:

"oh poo poo ignore whatever we just said. we ran out of energy for some reason cause we're lazy writers . everything is bad now"
That did seem to be really stupid.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Awia posted:

Al! posted:

c&p'd relevant sections from the fo bible timeline:

2051: Seeking to protect business interests and their oil supply, the United States begins to exert increasing pressure on Mexico, citing the political instability and pollution stemming from Mexico as a threat to the United States. Various economic sanctions serve to destabilize Mexico, and the United States military enters Mexico to keep the oil refineries running and making sure oil and fuel continue to make their way north across the border... at Mexico's expense.
2052 (April): The Resource Wars begin. Many smaller nations go bankrupt, and Europe, dependent on oil imports from the Middle East, responds to the Middle East's rising oil prices with military action. The long drawn-out war between the European Commonwealth and the Middle East begins.
2052 (May-July): The United Nations, already suffering, begins to collapse. In a series of heated debates, many nations withdraw from the organization as the UN tries to keep the peace. At the end of July, the United Nations is disbanded.
2053: The socially transmitted "New Plague" arises, killing tens of thousands. The United States closes its borders and the first-ever national quarantine is declared. The source of the plague is unknown, but rumors persist that it is a genetically engineered weapon.
2053 (Dec): Like an exclamation mark on the end of a very bad year, a terrorist nuclear weapon destroys Tel Aviv.
2054 (Jan): Limited nuclear exchange in the Middle East raises fears throughout the world.
2059: The Anchorage Front Line is established, as the United States increases its military presence in Alaska to protect its oil interests. The Anchorage Front Line causes tensions in the United States and Canada, as the United States attempts to pressure Canada into allowing American military units to guard the Alaskan pipeline.
2060: Traffic on the streets of the world stops moving. Fuel becomes too precious to waste on automobiles, so alternatives are explored - electric and fusion cars begin to be manufactured, but factories can only make limited amounts. Pressure on fusion research increases.
2060: The Euro-Middle Eastern War ends as the oil fields in the Middle East run dry... there is no longer a goal in the conflict, and both sides are reduced almost to ruin.
2066: (Spring): As the oil resources dry up across the globe, China's fossil fuel dependency causes an energy crisis in the nation. China, bordering on collapse, becomes more aggressive in its trade talks with the United States. Unwilling to export oil to China, talks between the United States and China break down.
2066 (Winter): In the winter of 2066, China invades Alaska. The Anchorage Front Line becomes a true battleground.
2066 (Winter): As a sign of increasing tension between the two countries, Canada proves reluctant to allow American troops on Canadian soil or allow American planes to fly over Canadian airspace. The United States and Canadian tensions rise, but Canada eventually backs down, and US troops pass through Canada. This sets the stage for the Canadian annexation in 2076.
2076 (August): Food and energy riots begin in major cities throughout the United States. Military units begin to be deployed in cities within the United States to contain rioters, and many temporary jails are constructed. A state of emergency is declared, and martial law soon follows.
2077 (October 23) Great War: Bombs are launched; who struck first is unknown... and it is not even known if the bombs came from China or America. Air raid sirens sound, but very few people go into vaults, thinking it is a false alarm. The Vaults are sealed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shaggar posted:

lol, i didn't even know about that

like, the whole joke with the nuclear power and microfusion cells in fo1 and 2 was that if they had come along a year earlier then they would have solved the energy crisis

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shaggar posted:

lol yup

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Improbable Lobster posted:

lol, i didn't even know about that

like, the whole joke with the nuclear power and microfusion cells in fo1 and 2 was that if they had come along a year earlier then they would have solved the energy crisis

it's a good cinematic overall but yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzlqP1JfP1U

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
we harnessed the atom for unlimited energy, until it was no longer unlimited

also things are bad, but look pretty good until they are destroyed by nuclear hell fire

but trust me, things are bad out there

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

psa: for the least scratched and scuffed and dingy hot pink paintjob, stick with t45 or t60 models

t51 and type x look like they got dredged up from somewhere :(

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Phoenixan posted:

we harnessed the atom for unlimited energy, until it was no longer unlimited

also things are bad, but look pretty good until they are destroyed by nuclear hell fire

but trust me, things are bad out there

tbf i can definitely see the us of the fallout universe continuing to hum along like nothing's going on even when armageddon is nearly there

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Kenny Logins posted:

c&p'd relevant sections from the fo bible timeline:
i remember reading this stuff around the 2003 iraq war and just sitting there thinking like :smith:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

water, farm-able land, mineral exhaustion. there are plenty of things that UNLIMITED POWER can't fix

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

the writing is actually pretty bad for this and a lot of the narration in the game. really cliched

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

the writing is actually pretty bad for this and a lot of the narration in the game. really cliched

it all feels so placeholder, maybe it is

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
didn't the world run out of oil? I mean you need oil for tons of poo poo besides gasoline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
it's just that bethesda's writing is abysmal and they don't know how to portray a dying world or write proper narration

• Locked thread