Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Odobenidae posted:

Okay thanks I kinda knew that already but that doesn't explain why they didn't bomb the cities though.

Neuron bombs do less 'physical' damage then a traditional fission/fusion bomb,I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I forget what quest I was doing, but I had Macready taggin along and he randomly shouted "Tunnel Snakes rule!' when we were leaving a basement somewhere. Not sure if that was location specific or he says it randomly when underground. Haven't run into again since.

Edit: Found it, it's during the quest where you find the Railroad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toZOd3N_g1k

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How does settlement building work with the endgame factions? They're all under the auspices of the Minutemen, right? So what happens if I join the BoS or Institute and they tell me to gently caress over the Minutemen? Do I have to wash my hands of all my little sims? Or is there no screw-the-minutemen point in the questlines?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Should I bother moving Fallout 4 over to my ssd? I honestly forgot I had one (and it's where the OS is sitting).

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

RBA Starblade posted:

Should I bother moving Fallout 4 over to my ssd? I honestly forgot I had one (and it's where the OS is sitting).

It's always worth it with Bethesda games. It significantly cuts down on load times.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Doctor Schnabel posted:

How does settlement building work with the endgame factions? They're all under the auspices of the Minutemen, right? So what happens if I join the BoS or Institute and they tell me to gently caress over the Minutemen? Do I have to wash my hands of all my little sims? Or is there no screw-the-minutemen point in the questlines?

I don't think anyone tells you to gently caress over the Minutemen. They're like your default faction you can invest as much or as little in as you want. The choices are between the Railroad, Brotherhood, and Institute as those 3 groups want to destroy each other. Preston just wants you to keep helping settlements because we need all the support we can get.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think anyone tells you to gently caress over the Minutemen. They're like your default faction you can invest as much or as little in as you want. The choices are between the Railroad, Brotherhood, and Institute as those 3 groups want to destroy each other. Preston just wants you to keep helping settlements because we need all the support we can get.
Oh interesting, so the big question in this game is who the minutemen side with in the 3-way conflict? That's pretty neat; once the geck comes out, I can see myself having different settlement aesthetics on future playthroughs, depending on which faction I side with.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Davoren posted:

If Obsidian do get another shot I hope they stick to the west coast side of things.

I see them or Bethesda doing a game that's within 20 or 30 years of the bombs dropping over revisiting the NCR again with how built up it is. Or they might visit Van Buren's Rockies area.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DrBouvenstein posted:

Neuron bombs do less 'physical' damage then a traditional fission/fusion bomb,I believe.

Neutron bombs have smaller explosions but trade for having more powerful bursts of radiation, So they kill people and animals very well but don't damage infrastructure as much.

Salted bombs have smaller explosions but trade for creating intentionally terrible fallout that is far worse than 'natural' fallout of regular bombs and could cover large areas with fatal levels of radiation or the entire world with dangerous levels even with a small number of bombs.

(EMPs trade explosion size for radio wave creation that create currents in metal and damage sensitive electronics and power generation/transmission)

We've seen quite a few cities in the fallout universe now and that sort of stuff seems to be way more the type of bombs used than conventional big blasts. It's all skeletons left exactly where they were when they died.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PantsBandit posted:

It's always worth it with Bethesda games. It significantly cuts down on load times.

Should I copy things manually over or just back up the saves (even though there's cloud saves), delete, then reinstall? I don't do much at all with the ssd so I don't really know what's faster to do.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Should I copy things manually over or just back up the saves (even though there's cloud saves), delete, then reinstall? I don't do much at all with the ssd so I don't really know what's faster to do.

Nah just copy the entire game folder from the steamapps/common on your standard harddrive. You might need to make a steam folder on your SSD, I think Steam will do that for you I just don't remember exactly how if you try to install an unrelated game to your SSD it should automatically make the folder. At that point, delete the game from your steam library and reinstall it. It'll act like it's going to reinstall the whole thing but steam actually will just find existing files. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PantsBandit posted:

Nah just copy the entire game folder from the steamapps/common on your standard harddrive. You might need to make a steam folder on your SSD, I think Steam will do that for you I just don't remember exactly how. At that point, delete the game from your steam library and reinstall it. It'll act like it's going to reinstall the whole thing but steam actually will just find existing files. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Sweet, thanks for the advice!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't imagine playing this not on an SSD, even on my fairly newish computer with everything on a nice big SSD sometimes the load times start to get into the "high" range.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

So am I missing something or is the beam splitter upgrade for laser weapons garbage?

Are you using the Sniper Barrel? Swap it out for an Improved Long Barrel.

Yes, it has lower damage per shot, but the spread pattern is much much better. There's also no charge time so you can just blast away (sniper barrel only delivers full power if you let the 3 lights all blink on).

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 24, 2015

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The Institute paint job is freaking awesome

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

7c Nickel posted:

There's also no charge time so you can just place away (sniper barrel only delivers full power if you let the 3 lights all blink on).

Wait, what? The Laser Sniper has a charge mechanic? :aaaaa:

No wonder it seemed slightly weaker than advertised.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

7c Nickel posted:

Yes, it has lower damage per shot, but the spread pattern is much much better. There's also no charge time so you can just place away (sniper barrel only delivers full power if you let the 3 lights all blink on).

This explains a lot about Righteous Authority after I threw that on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do weapons that need to charge work in VATS? Is it assumed you max charge?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If you're at all perplexed by how nuclear bombs function in Fallout, I strongly recommend you find and read a copy of Bomboozled: How the U.S. Government Misled Itself and Its People into Believing They Could Survive a Nuclear Attack. The core of the book is the doublethink the US government wanted people to believe. You were expected to believe that nuclear warheads were going to destroy the human race and its civilization entirely, and that nuclear combat could be survived and rebuilt from if you did your (patriotic) duty, with American Products And Materials that will surely survive the nuclear war.

Fallout depicts both of those things at the same time. A ruined wasteland that killed almost everyone and everything, but a lot of people/stuff survived because America Was Prepared.

(my apologies to the poster who first suggested the book)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Is it normal that most stuff in Boston only scales up to level 8 or 13? I'm level 23 and still got stuff to explore around Diamond City but unless it's some Super Mutants in close range or exploding cars, nothing feels appropriate level even assuming I only play on Normal.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Randler posted:

Is it normal that most stuff in Boston only scales up to level 8 or 13? I'm level 23 and still got stuff to explore around Diamond City but unless it's some Super Mutants in close range or exploding cars, nothing feels appropriate level even assuming I only play on Normal.

The game is scaled more like Morrowind than Oblivion. From Sanctuary Hills to Diamond City are low to mid level areas. If you want to hit tougher stuff, you need to push out towards the coasts or swamp or glowing sea.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Dear people in the Fallout universe, instead of scrapping cinder blocks to get concrete you could just, you know, use them to build something. Just sayin'.

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I can't imagine playing this not on an SSD, even on my fairly newish computer with everything on a nice big SSD sometimes the load times start to get into the "high" range.

I play on an old 1TB hard drive (which was pretty fast for its time)
The load times seem the same, I think gamebyro is just a horrible engine for open world games

Witcher 3 even had better load times when loading an entire continent of stuff

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

I see them or Bethesda doing a game that's within 20 or 30 years of the bombs dropping over revisiting the NCR again with how built up it is. Or they might visit Van Buren's Rockies area.
Bethesda is pretty adamant about not doing that. New Vegas was originally intended to take place closer to the original Fallout in the timeline, but Bethesda wouldn't allow them.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Melted_Igloo posted:

I play on an old 1TB hard drive (which was pretty fast for its time)
The load times seem the same, I think gamebyro is just a horrible engine for open world games

Gamebryo is 18 years old and Bethesda is still using it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im finding that starting melee out is pretty drat hard, raiders can chunk me on hard pretty consistently whereas my first range smart dude was on very hard without any issues till a mini nuke landed on my head.

Maybe I'll make a ninja pistolero instead.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Dogmeat ready for war! :3:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MrQwerty posted:

Gamebryo is 18 years old and Bethesda is still using it.

What does that even mean? What do you even think "gamebryo" is or does?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
If you move all settlers off of a settlement, and I guess all water, food, and other supplies, would that settlement still get attacked?

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007

Presto posted:

Dear people in the Fallout universe, instead of scrapping cinder blocks to get concrete you could just, you know, use them to build something. Just sayin'.

I really wish they would fix the walls in the castle and put a proper door, it could be like the only settlement that never gets attacked
That way you can put all the cool stuff there that you want to build without fear of all of it going poof

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What does that even mean? What do you even think "gamebryo" is or does?

it's an 18 year old engine, that handles all assets of a piece of software developed on its platform, that is starting to show its age in load times; specifically because of how it handles assets.

Also, the train car in broken steel is a good demo of this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Melted_Igloo posted:

I really wish they would fix the walls in the castle and put a proper door, it could be like the only settlement that never gets attacked
That way you can put all the cool stuff there that you want to build without fear of all of it going poof

It's actually the one settlement that absolutely does get attacked.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'd rather see Obsidian do a Chicago one, with actual ruined skyscrapers and miles of el/coal/cable car tunnels.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I actually hope somebody is saving good screenshots of all the magazine covers, they're pretty good.

I want a properly restored texture for this one.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Cait wants me to go to Vault 95 with her. I checked my map and it's in the rear end end of freaking nowhere. I'm lvl 29, not sure if I'm high enough, but gently caress it. Strap on your legendary weapons, load up on explosives, drugs, food and strong alcoholic beverages, and let's make the journey. We're heading straight down there!

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Iceshade posted:

Cait wants me to go to Vault 95 with her. I checked my map and it's in the rear end end of freaking nowhere. I'm lvl 29, not sure if I'm high enough, but gently caress it. Strap on your legendary weapons, load up on explosives, drugs, food and strong alcoholic beverages, and let's make the journey. We're heading straight down there!

Nothing there that Psychojet can't handle

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Internet Kraken posted:

I want a properly restored texture for this one.

So many of the covers would be great tattoo ideas.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MrQwerty posted:

it's an 18 year old engine, that handles all assets of a piece of software developed on its platform, that is starting to show its age in load times; specifically because of how it handles assets.

Also, the train car in broken steel is a good demo of this.
the term you are looking for is actually "bethesda's logic engine"

gamebryo is a rendering tech, nothing more

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Iceshade posted:

You'll be fine. Think I did it in the early 20s and felt a little underleveled. You're probably at the right level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Moxie posted:

Nothing there that Psychojet can't handle

I wish I could grow Hubflowers.

• Locked thread