Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Joey Freshwater posted:

Not a movie but I've been watching the first season of Flash on Netflix. Arrow was enjoyable but this thing is garbage.

I watched Episode 10 (I think) last night. It's the one with Captain Cold and Fire Gun Guy, whatever his name is. The climax is they're both in a standoff with police trying to draw the Flash out. Flash shows up to stop them.

Keep in mind that these are two normal humans with Cold/Fire Guns with nothing else special about them. Flash is a superhuman that can run faster than the speed of sound. Fast enough to run up the side of a building. Fast enough that there are three people on bikes that he takes the keys out of the ignitions before they know whats going on. Fast enough to take a picture with a phone, run to get in the picture, and then run back before the phone drops from midair. These are all examples present within the same episode.

But somehow not fast enough to run up to these guys, take their loving guns, knock them on their asses and run off.

Instead he has to SLOW DOWN so that they both hit them with their guns, and they wind up 'crossing the streams' when he moves away.

It also hosed me up that they used the same two lead actors from Prison Break as the cold/fire guys.

This was also right after he met opposite flash for the first time and got beat up because he wasn't fast enough. So he was pushing himself and training hard to get even faster. But not fast enough to punch some dude with a flamethrower....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

EmmyOk posted:

Right but my point is more that he worked on all these massive longterm projects all in the same 10 year span or w/e. It's the sheer quantity of them rather than that they all happen to connect to them. I think I wasn't expecting a formulaic serial I thought it was a bit more highbrow. I don't mean in a pretentious way I just mean I thought it was a different type of show, I like loads of serials!

It moves away from the formulaic stuff partway through season 1. It's worth persevering.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

The flash is either completely immune to all forms of harm or he is constantly exploding people and buildings without even realizing it. Either his reaction time is fast enough to avoid pedestrians while running at near-light speeds or it isn't. If it is, nothing should ever be able to harm him. If it isn't, he is the most destructive force imaginable.

Shai-Hulud posted:

This was also right after he met opposite flash for the first time and got beat up because he wasn't fast enough. So he was pushing himself and training hard to get even faster. But not fast enough to punch some dude with a flamethrower....

He also read 800 pages of some study and was not only able to read it in 5 seconds but process/remember the entirety of it.

e: Which speaks to the guy with the sword and pepper spray. It shows that he can view and process things with amazing speed.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Nov 24, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Joey Freshwater posted:

He also read 800 pages of some study and was not only able to read it in 5 seconds but process/remember the entirety of it.

Can't say how much he actually processed/remembered of it - he basically says that it talks about transmutation, and he happens to know what that is, I think.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Aren't all these complaints about Arrow and The Flash rational complaints?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Can't say how much he actually processed/remembered of it - he basically says that it talks about transmutation, and he happens to know what that is, I think.

Yeah fair enough about remembering it but he still read through it and knew what it said, meaning that he processed at least a good portion of it. Enough of it to know that transmutation was mentioned a few times. No telling if he knew what Transmutation was before or after.

Regardless, if he can do that he should have no problem dodging a sword or pepper spray (or fire/ice guns)

rejutka posted:

I guess it's gotten more in depth than I'd intended but it still bugs me they used the Prison Break guys for the Fire/Ice guys :colbert:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

rejutka posted:

In the sense that they violate their show's internal logic, yes.

In the sense that they matter at all, no.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
All TV shows gradually turn into the same couple of TV shows. I guess it's because there's really a pretty small group of people writing and running them and their ideas of what's good entertainment end up being very homogenous? I don't know man. Like 4 episodes into Orange is the New Black the main lady became suddenly, radically dumber and clueless-er and I was just fuckin done with it, I didn't need to see it all recapitulated dozens of additional times. Or the way everyone on LOST slowly became an interchangeable gun-toting stone badass running down a corridor and around some trees, on their way to finally unlock the secrets of Myst.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ignite Memories posted:

The flash is either completely immune to all forms of harm or he is constantly exploding people and buildings without even realizing it. Either his reaction time is fast enough to avoid pedestrians while running at near-light speeds or it isn't. If it is, nothing should ever be able to harm him. If it isn't, he is the most destructive force imaginable.

Again, the Flash's only weakness is that he constantly forgets that he is, in fact, the Flash. And all of his villains are overcome by remembering that he is the Flash.

EDIT

Shai-Hulud posted:

This was also right after he met opposite flash for the first time

You mean Professor Zoom?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

So does reverse-flash move super slow?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

No, he moves faster duh.
DUH.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

FreudianSlippers posted:

You would not believe how fast that fucker can moonwalk.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EmmyOk posted:

I watched 3 episodes of Fringe before I got too annoyed by the "Oh I worked on a similar project in the 80s..." set-up.

I felt exactly the same way at exactly the same point. I later gave it a second chance, and would you like to buy the first three seasons on Blu because I bought the full box set.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jedit posted:

I felt exactly the same way at exactly the same point. I later gave it a second chance, and would you like to buy the first three seasons on Blu because I bought the full box set.

Are you saying you bought seasons 1-3 on Blu Ray to try the series again and then liked it so much that you bought the whole series?

I gave up initially near the end of the second season but was so happy to give it another go. Same with Don't Trust the Bitch. Speaking of, that show would have been a pretty big hit if not for the title.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Inzombiac posted:

Are you saying you bought seasons 1-3 on Blu Ray to try the series again and then liked it so much that you bought the whole series?

No, just S1. I then picked up S2 and S3 before a deal made it cheaper to buy the whole box than to get S4 and S5 separately, so I have doubles.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FreudianSlippers posted:

No that is the Turtle

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Not a movie but I've been watching the first season of Flash on Netflix. Arrow was enjoyable but this thing is garbage.

I watched Episode 10 (I think) last night. It's the one with Captain Cold and Fire Gun Guy, whatever his name is. The climax is they're both in a standoff with police trying to draw the Flash out. Flash shows up to stop them.

Keep in mind that these are two normal humans with Cold/Fire Guns with nothing else special about them. Flash is a superhuman that can run faster than the speed of sound. Fast enough to run up the side of a building. Fast enough that there are three people on bikes that he takes the keys out of the ignitions before they know whats going on. Fast enough to take a picture with a phone, run to get in the picture, and then run back before the phone drops from midair. These are all examples present within the same episode.

But somehow not fast enough to run up to these guys, take their loving guns, knock them on their asses and run off.

Instead he has to SLOW DOWN so that they both hit them with their guns, and they wind up 'crossing the streams' when he moves away.

It also hosed me up that they used the same two lead actors from Prison Break as the cold/fire guys.

You are probably not going to like Legends of Tomorrow then. Those two Prison Break cold/fire guys are amoungst the leads.

E:
have a trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7LlmaFg0lw

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the episode in question I'm surprised they didn't just have Barry get tagged by the cold gun in the beginning, to stop him outpacing Captain Cold and Heatwave. The gun was literally created by Cisco as an anti-Flash weapon in case Barry was evil like the other metahumans. When Barry is hit by the cold gun it temporarily slows him down substantially.

And Reverse Flash is Eobard Thawne in this continuity, Professor Zoom is season 2's problem.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Nov 25, 2015

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I hate when a person who works a dangerous profession routinely seems to be saved by sheer dumb luck. It seems stupid that they aren't already dead since you can't be that lucky all the time and it only takes one gently caress up to end their story.
Just make them get out of trouble by skill or good planning instead. The tension isn't lost and it makes it so much cooler.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

And another thing! Cisco is held hostage for like, an afternoon, and he creates a gun that turns things into gold. Why does this man have a day job???

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ignite Memories posted:

And another thing! Cisco is held hostage for like, an afternoon, and he creates a gun that turns things into gold. Why does this man have a day job???

Presumably it's fool's gold, or something like that.

Still though. The amount of bullshit tech this guy can pull out of his rear end is impressive.

Oh, but every time the (mid-season-1 spoilers) that rich guy (I forget his name) in his ATOM suit show up and people make allusions to Superman I really have to roll my eyes. I get it. He flies. He played Superman in a movie. Superhero. Yes, he's a man of steel, ho ho ho

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ignite Memories posted:

It's pretty clearly stated that he just wants to work under the guy who played Ed because he's such an ultra super genius, I don't think he's got any money struggles or anything.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ignite Memories posted:

They never explain what her deal is but no way is it real gold.
Cisco is a loveable goof but he's not the type of dude who is much of a self-starter. He needs the structure of employment and a boss.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

With the episode in question I'm surprised they didn't just have Barry get tagged by the cold gun in the beginning, to stop him outpacing Captain Cold and Heatwave. The gun was literally created by Cisco as an anti-Flash weapon in case Barry was evil like the other metahumans. When Barry is hit by the cold gun it temporarily slows him down substantially.

And Reverse Flash is Eobard Thawne in this continuity, Professor Zoom is season 2's problem.

I don't watch the Flash, but this post had me wondering what a company that makes routers and servers has against the fastest man alive. Jealous of his latency?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sneakernet. He could run them out of business.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ryoshi posted:

It's pretty clearly stated that he just wants to work under the guy who played Ed because he's such an ultra super genius, I don't think he's got any money struggles or anything.

We see his family in one episode and it's implied they're pretty well off.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

In the comics, Zoom and Professor Zoom are different people. In the show, the season 2 bad guy is just called Zoom but is apparently more of a mix of some other comic villains anyway. Or so I gather from what people who've actually read the comics say.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I would think the Flash could make a lot of money as a courier.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
TV shows with theme music an order of magnitude louder than the general dialogue volume. I'll be trying to watch an episode in the middle of the night while everyone is asleep and the opening is a reasonable volume, then the theme starts and suddenly I'm front stage at a live concert and smacking the volume down button like it dispenses money, only for it to drop the volume back down afterwards forcing me to turn the volume up again.

It's so common that I keep my hand on the remote out of sheer habit for the first ten minutes of any show.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Geez, where to put this. Here I guess.

I get irrationally irritated at selective censorship when movies are aired on regular TV. They'll show people bleeding to death and brains getting blown out but apparently the word "poo poo" is just too much. Stuff like "Scarface" and "Goodfellas" come to mind, even though there "gently caress" is usually the big offender. I don't even know why they try to show movies like these, "Pulp Fiction" for example, on regular TV. Even the dubbing bugs me more often than not because it's usually so goofy.

I was watching a National Geographic documentary about Viet Nam that contained truly horrific stuff. Piles of dead bodies, gruesome injuries, guys getting burned or shot up, real blood everywhere, dead babies and children...but they were beeping out the word "poo poo" since that might disturb me.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
^ first time I ever saw Scarface was the BBC edit.
"How's you get that scar?, from eating pineapple??"

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

BiggerBoat posted:

Geez, where to put this. Here I guess.

I get irrationally irritated at selective censorship when movies are aired on regular TV. They'll show people bleeding to death and brains getting blown out but apparently the word "poo poo" is just too much. Stuff like "Scarface" and "Goodfellas" come to mind, even though there "gently caress" is usually the big offender. I don't even know why they try to show movies like these, "Pulp Fiction" for example, on regular TV. Even the dubbing bugs me more often than not because it's usually so goofy.

I was watching a National Geographic documentary about Viet Nam that contained truly horrific stuff. Piles of dead bodies, gruesome injuries, guys getting burned or shot up, real blood everywhere, dead babies and children...but they were beeping out the word "poo poo" since that might disturb me.

I think I've ranted about this before, but my go-to example for this is Comedy Central showing Hot Fuzz. They censored out all the 'fucks', 'shits', etc., but left the scene where the reporter's head is graphically, explosively crushed completely uncut.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In a similar vein, the MPAA / movie studio self-censorship around nudity is bizarre. You can show a man's naked rear end, for comedic purposes or a love scene, and get a PG rating, but even implied female nudity that doesn't show anything can get you a PG-13 for "Some Adult Content." And a gay or lesbian kiss automatically gets a PG-13 rating, no matter what context, for "Adult Themes."

I also wonder where movie characters buy those L-Shaped sheets that people lay in immediately after having sex. Somehow James Bond's side of the sheet goes all the way down to 1cm above his pubes, but the exotic she-devil to his left has the exact same sheet up to her collarbone.

Leon Trotsky 2012 has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Nov 27, 2015

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009
Without that TV censorship, we wouldn't have the Big Lebowski finding strangers in the alps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcKBcZzGdA

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

That's actually a pretty comedic example though

e: the weirdest editing I ever experienced was watching the Clooney movie Up In The Air on a Delta international flight. They apparently decided to cut out pretty much every specific scene of airline travel, and since that's pretty much the central conceit of the whole movie, the whole thing made no loving sense. I would love to know the reasoning behind that

WeAreTheRomans has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Nov 27, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Robocop and "Melonfarmer" and "Once, I even called him Airhead"

But there was always respect.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"Yippee-ki-yay, Mr. Falcon" is top tier, especially since there was nobody called Mr. Falcon.

I'm also partial to "forget you".

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I know one of them as Yippee-ki-yay, Kemosabe.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I wish I could get ahold of the ITV shown-in-the-afternoon edit of Robocop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

That's actually a pretty comedic example though

e: the weirdest editing I ever experienced was watching the Clooney movie Up In The Air on a Delta international flight. They apparently decided to cut out pretty much every specific scene of airline travel, and since that's pretty much the central conceit of the whole movie, the whole thing made no loving sense. I would love to know the reasoning behind that

Possibly because they were flying a different airline, and Delta didn't want to advertise the competition.

Another reason is I heard that planes really don't want you thinking about flying/possibly crashing whilst you are up in the air. So they usually won't show any films to do with explosions/hijackings/air-rage etc.

And on the funny censorship thing: one of the best is an Eddie Murphy movie, (I forget which), where they changed motherfucker to 'monkeyfeather'. Something I try to do as often as possible nowadays.