Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Aesis posted:

Wow, you need 40 crystalline ore AND 10 guild commendations per recipe of guild armor piece. That means you need whopping 720 crystalline ore and 180 guild commendations for all the pieces :v: Not to mention the fact that nobody knows how to make guild insignia.

The endgame is moving on to a different game before you finish that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm surprised you didn't have access to it sooner, we captured our hall a week later than you guys and we're ~2 days of aetherium away from ours.

well bird, I'm sure they don't force their members to slave away in the mines so you can have nice clothes

Also everything being hated behind a ridiculous grind this xpac has really gotten out of hand. It's so beginner/casual unfriendly, loving Korean mmo's are starting to look more appealing.

A part of me thinks that they put all this dumb rear end gated/grindy poo poo so it keeps people playing and gives then time for content releases. Really stupid.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tricks wants the clothes, I want more minis :colbert:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lyer posted:

Also everything being hated behind a ridiculous grind this xpac has really gotten out of hand. It's so beginner/casual unfriendly, loving Korean mmo's are starting to look more appealing.

A part of me thinks that they put all this dumb rear end gated/grindy poo poo so it keeps people playing and gives then time for content releases. Really stupid.

Yeah, instead of keeping me playing it's more it's turning me off :( I'm not going to even be able to do map completion for a while still and it's very disheartening.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, instead of keeping me playing it's more it's turning me off :( I'm not going to even be able to do map completion for a while still and it's very disheartening.

Just run Chak Gerent until your soul dies, then you won't care about such thing.

"Hey guys join our gerent guild, we got 3/4 lanes last time!" :downs:

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
The grind exists to hide the fact that hot contains about as many new assets as 2 wow patches.

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 24, 2015

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Aesis posted:

Wow, you need 40 crystalline ore AND 10 guild commendations per recipe of guild armor piece. That means you need whopping 720 crystalline ore and 180 guild commendations for all the pieces :v: Not to mention the fact that nobody knows how to make guild insignia.

The crystalline ore requirements on absolutely everything are fairly ridiculous.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I liked how they put the giant zone at the start to make you think the game had content.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Don't worry Arus, after Trump is elected we will invade and you'll be sent to the Canadian work camps, leaving you with no time to play GW2.

I'll do my best to get you an extra poutine ration.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

OzFactor posted:

This is rad, you look like a Space Pirate from Metroid Prime.
Oh poo poo, yeah, haha, that's completely unintended

President Ark posted:

what armor is this, it owns

It's Inquest (Crucible of Eternity dungeon) helm, Priory shoulders/gloves, Primeval (gem store/recent new account bonus set) chest/leggings, Vigil boots. The latter three pieces have a greater contrast than the former, so I have amenity and enameled sky respectively with pyre highlights cause I loving love gem store dyes goddamn

Also there is a very serious problem with that picture being of my charr guardian, and I'm going to actually ask you guys if you can guess! Closest to the right answer will win a prize!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

No aegis

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

gently caress, I went back to double check and you beat me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is the problem that he's a revenant/not using Juggs?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

Is the problem that he's a revenant/not using Juggs?

Yes! Charr who use staves and aren't rev/daredevils hold them in one hand horizontally, and I'm pretty sure I have a screenshot of my guard in that armour holding a staff in their usual pose somewhere back in the thread. PM me ingame for your prize!

I would also have accepted 'tried to pick a hairstyle for my charr rev and couldn't bring myself to not take the goku hair, so decided to make it themed to be an Anti-Illu' but that was less likely to be guessed.

hair game too strong

e:

Fortunately dragonhunters can get rid of aegis in towns for screenshots, making HoT Expansion of the Year

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

Fortunately dragonhunters can get rid of aegis in towns for screenshots, making HoT Expansion of the Year

Wait wait wait wait

we can?!

Crimsonbeak
Nov 7, 2004
The grind really is bad now. Everything is catered to the poopsock who is going to run things hundreds of times. And I can't imagine what a casual player is thinking if they can even get to Dragon's stand since 90% of the instances are empty. The fact that every new map is Drytop 2.0 is terrible. Drytop worked because there were 2 phases that didn't rely on each other and the zone was small enough that you could run from event to event with little issue.

Verdant Brink, Auric Basin, and Tangled Depths are all bad versions of this. You have these camps that you need to bring online which involve following a single event chain that each event takes 10 minutes and has you killing hordes of Mordrem that don't give XP or loot. And in the end you get a single event completion then sit around for 2 mins of NPC "story" and then move on to the next event. Then once that event chain is over you basically have this big area where no events really happen, or if they do the area is so large there is no way to know they are happening unless you are right on top of them.

You could fix a lot of the issues with Tangled Depths, and Auric Basin the new maps by making them more like Silverwastes, in that once you finish all of the encampments it triggered the zone meta event. And then for Verdant Brink you turn it in to 3 phase map instead of 2. Where in Verdant once you finish an encampment it opens up a bunch of other events around like defending outposts that lasts in to the night until the choppers come (which should happen with 25 or 30 mins left not 20). I don't know how to fix Dragon's Stand, other than reducing the requirements it takes for the Pact to get up to the Blighting trees and remove all of the timed events so one or two people could at least advance the zone.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

...OK so on testing this properly, while activating Shield of Courage makes the Aegis timer count down from about 25s with the refresh at 75s, it actually switches between 19 and 20 seconds remaining no matter what. So no, Anet didn't fix Aegis ruining screenshots, game is terrible, life is terrible, Christmas is ruined

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Crimsonbeak posted:

The grind really is bad now. Everything is catered to the poopsock who is going to run things hundreds of times. And I can't imagine what a casual player is thinking if they can even get to Dragon's stand since 90% of the instances are empty. The fact that every new map is Drytop 2.0 is terrible. Drytop worked because there were 2 phases that didn't rely on each other and the zone was small enough that you could run from event to event with little issue.

Verdant Brink, Auric Basin, and Tangled Depths are all bad versions of this. You have these camps that you need to bring online which involve following a single event chain that each event takes 10 minutes and has you killing hordes of Mordrem that don't give XP or loot. And in the end you get a single event completion then sit around for 2 mins of NPC "story" and then move on to the next event. Then once that event chain is over you basically have this big area where no events really happen, or if they do the area is so large there is no way to know they are happening unless you are right on top of them.

You could fix a lot of the issues with Tangled Depths, and Auric Basin the new maps by making them more like Silverwastes, in that once you finish all of the encampments it triggered the zone meta event. And then for Verdant Brink you turn it in to 3 phase map instead of 2. Where in Verdant once you finish an encampment it opens up a bunch of other events around like defending outposts that lasts in to the night until the choppers come (which should happen with 25 or 30 mins left not 20). I don't know how to fix Dragon's Stand, other than reducing the requirements it takes for the Pact to get up to the Blighting trees and remove all of the timed events so one or two people could at least advance the zone.

One of ANet's problems with GW2 has always been this. They both feel like they have to cater to poopsockers and they don't plan things for the long term ("so we have this awesome new zone concept, but what will happen in 6 months?")

Likely, unfortunately, it's because poopsockers are the ones who buy the most stuff from the gem store.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Crimsonbeak posted:

The grind really is bad now.

Gold Wars 2: Heart of Taxi

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
So we can all agree game is dead, time to move on to Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade

e; from Behavior Interactive, previously Artificial Mind & Movement Inc. (A2M), the people who thought the studio name A2M was a good idea.

ee; canadian dev company based in montreal, n/m game is doomed

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 24, 2015

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Kenshin posted:

Likely, unfortunately, it's because poopsockers are the ones who buy the most stuff from the gem store.

Arus is casual as gently caress though.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
100 Crystalline Ore for 100 gems! Problem solved.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Crimsonbeak posted:

Kenshin posted:

One of ANet's problems with GW2 has always been this. They both feel like they have to cater to poopsockers and they don't plan things for the long term ("so we have this awesome new zone concept, but what will happen in 6 months?")

Agreed with all this except the last part, I'm casual as poo poo

e:fb really, I clearly kept this tab open too long

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I like the new Sniper outfit. It makes me feel like a snow fairy ninja.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crimsonbeak posted:

This is makes me sad as someone who didn't decide to get the xpac yet. I mean, I know awesome goons are going to be willing to help out with xpac stuff, but knowing just how much grind has been added to the game is making it seem really off-putting to a super casual player like me.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
An MMO that you have to dump a bunch of time in to get anything out?

I'd spit coffee all over the morning paper in surprise at the news, but it costs me nearly a gold per cup and I need the stats buff from it.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I was thinking up wackyness to defend it but yeah this expansion is just a pile of trash. Hope they fix it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The meta events as a whole are kind of bad. Every zone is on a very strict cycle which is basically a straight line of events that starts at a specific time, happens for an hour or two and then repeats. You need to have a couple of hours and they're got to be the right couple of hours or you're not going to get much out of them, and if you don't have that then there's not necessarily a huge amount to do in the zone, particularly when half the adventures are locked. And that's true for every zone in the expansion. At least SW tends to be staggered so you can pretty much always find one at any given stage. You also need to get in to an organised, populated version of the map and not crash or get trapped by the megaserver closing thing, since a small number of players can't accomplish much. At least in Orr if you can't do a temple event chain there's other stuff going on in other parts of the map. The dynamic event system was supposed to make it so we could push and pull on the world and feel like things were constantly changing, whereas there's four new maps and either every map is on a fairly rigid progression or there's not enough people or organisation for anything to happen at all. It's not dynamic at all. It's just disappointing really.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't played in about two weeks and I'm kind of glad to hear I'm not the only one who's just kind of burnt out on this whole expansion thing. I didn't even finish the expansion story--I got bored of doing events to level my masteries and that struck me as a pretty bad sign, considering those events were what was going to be left once I finished the story.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I did what masteries were needed to finish the story, and then immediately lost interest. Not interested in grinding mobs, nor grinding events (I don't have 2+ hours of uninterrupted time to make event exp worthwhile).

I tried doing some map completion (bread and butter of vanilla for my tastes), but just met a lot of not-fun and frustration. Triple that for Tangled Depths. Meh, whatever. On to another game. I'll keep tabs on it, might do a daily here and there, and if they makes masteries fun or introduce something else new, I'll pop back in for a month or what-have-you, but I'm not holding my breath.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

meh I should have just bought character slots with the money. pfft

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Yea, if I ever get a Gerent map to succeed I'll pmuch stick to fractals and the occasional DS. Maybe try the raid for giggles, but honestly don't feel like trying it with pubs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Adhesive Gamin posted:

An MMO that you have to dump a bunch of time in to get anything out?

I'd spit coffee all over the morning paper in surprise at the news, but it costs me nearly a gold per cup and I need the stats buff from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU1JUwPqzQY&t=82s

Guess this manifesto is horseshit now.

:sigh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has been for a while.

Really, though, this expansion just saw ArenaNet doubling down on things I already didn't like about the game, whereas I think I naively hoped those things would be lessened. That's probably the root of my disappointment.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

Has been for a while.

Really, though, this expansion just saw ArenaNet doubling down on things I already didn't like about the game, whereas I think I naively hoped those things would be lessened. That's probably the root of my disappointment.

On the upside, if they follow the pattern they had in GW1, the next expansion will be great.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Harrow posted:

Has been for a while.

The fact that all communication from the gameplay Devs (and in particular the ones working on the classes/elite specs) just abruptly ceased the second HoT went live hasn't helped anything, either.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I think Anet drank too much of the grognard kool aid. Yes people needed more things to do, but making it a larger grind doesn't constitute more content.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I remember when guild decorations were going to cost karma. Now you need 5000 gold for one person to learn scribe, then a further 200g for this

and a gift exploration for this

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Apparently the globe doesn't even spin properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Visidan posted:

I remember when guild decorations were going to cost karma. Now you need 5000 gold for one person to learn scribe, then a further 200g for this

and a gift exploration for this

A clock to see how much time you've wasted and a globe to see where you could've gone instead.

• Locked thread