Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Imagine Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey as two boxers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Rodyle posted:

They would look at each other across the ring, walk into the middle, air guitar, and gently caress off to the Circle K to hang out together.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
It may just be a matter of seeing Bogus Journey way before Excellent Adventure, but I enjoy it much more. Excellent Adventure felt a bit empty and plodding when I finally got around to seeing it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Heteroy posted:

It may just be a matter of seeing Bogus Journey way before Excellent Adventure, but I enjoy it much more. Excellent Adventure felt a bit empty and plodding when I finally got around to seeing it.

No that's pretty accurate. Bogus Journey is by far the better movie of the two.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Heteroy posted:

I feel the same way and have legit seen Bogus Journey 10+ times and Excellent Adventure 2-3.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Excellent Adventure has that loving dope Extreme song so it's pretty debatable, I'd say.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Both have great soundtracks, but Bogus Journey has Sir James Martin, head of the Faith No More Spiritual and Theological Center.

STATION!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Squirt.

THat is all.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rodyle posted:

Dan Carlin got into bad movie podcasts?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I didn't ever pay attention to the boxing stuff because I was so absorbed, and I wish it hadn't been pointed out to me because he really does do it all the time. He even does it in CS!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It helps that I'm a wrestling fan but I was weeping with laughter at the idea of "Weekend At Vince's" and everything associated with that tangent.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It helps that I'm a wrestling fan but I was weeping with laughter at the idea of "Weekend At Vince's" and everything associated with that tangent.

It's how No Holds Barred got made. Almost unrelated side tangent but that podcast with stone cold where Vince describes the rush of pushing an unawares person into a pool. Pure Vince

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I thought it was going to be Vince hanging with all the dead wrestlers, what I got was as good. The glorious Linda poo poo was great.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
*Insert horrible offensive joke about Owen Hart here*

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Tracula posted:

*Insert horrible offensive joke about Chris Benoit here*

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That was the best THIS IS WHAT THE MOVIE SHOULD BE GUYS they've ever done. Get the gently caress on it, WWE Films.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it was going to be Vince hanging with all the dead wrestlers, what I got was as good. The glorious Linda poo poo was great.

Steve's "YERRRRRR FAAAAAAHHHHHHHRD!" was shockingly pro tier.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
I was disappointed there was no reference to how the Undertaker fit into this pitch.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think I'd still rather see Weekend at Bernesia, but that's just me.

I'm kind of wondering what lovely Christmas movie they're going to do in about a month.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm kind of wondering what lovely Christmas movie they're going to do in about a month.

Speaking of which, of all the lovely Christmas movies they've done, what's everyone's favorite?

Mine's gotta be One Magic Christmas. What an unbelievably depressing story, and in the end Santa is some kind of Nazi psychopomp.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I would love for it to be Santa's Slay.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'm partial to Eight Crazy Nights. That movie is :psyduck: as hell.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I'm partial to Eight Crazy Nights. That movie is :psyduck: as hell.

Also a great example of a movie that they fucken despise

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

If they wanna go the screwed up Christian Christmas movies route they could go with the Christmas shoes or saving christmas

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Christmas-themed Animation Damnation?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I have to say one thing about The Flophouse is the very consistent running time. Granted I do like rambling tirades and stupid voices but to always keep it under an hour makes it much more manageable.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tracula posted:

*Insert horrible offensive joke about Owen Hart here*

Also I'm gonna quote myself here but man. Vince pissed people off enough lately bringing up Ric Flair's dead son so he might as well have done his own version of Weekend at Bernie's.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Tracula posted:

I have to say one thing about The Flophouse is the very consistent running time. Granted I do like rambling tirades and stupid voices but to always keep it under an hour makes it much more manageable.

I earnestly don't understand people who want podcasts to keep it short. More free poo poo that I like? Nooooo thank you!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

honestly if a podcast is <90 mins it aint even worth my time

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
The great thing about hour long podcasts is not having to find something else to listen to when it stops. It's nice to have a variety of lengths though - shorter ones for shorter things, like hanging out the washing, longer ones for longer things like doing a whole bunch of [insert whatever it is that you do, I was going to say pattern making for me] or a long commute. It's a bit annoying when they're less than 15 minutes long though, particularly if some of that time is taken up with sponsorship messages.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

User-Friendly posted:

I earnestly don't understand people who want podcasts to keep it short. More free poo poo that I like? Nooooo thank you!

It's not that I dislike free content. Just that odd tangents can wear thin. For example Worst Episode Ever so absorbed in their own lovely voices and impressions that I have to shut it off after a while because it's clearly only entertaining to them.
I guess it's that I like a consistent running time more than keeping it short, really.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

User-Friendly posted:

Yeah but poo poo can get so long it just becomes unrealistic unless you only listen to a couple of shows. Like the Giant Bombcast runs a good three hours on the regular, and that's just loving crazy. I guess if you're the type of person who can listen to shows while doing something else that's fine, but stuff's a commute/travel time filler for me predominantly, and with the other stuff I listen to, I ain't got time for three hours of the same poo poo. Plus keeping to a relatively strict time constraint helps - in theory - keep everything on track and cuts down on rambling.

I mean in the case of The Flop House that obviously doesn't work, but Kalans gonna Kalan.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I don't usually enjoy time limits on podcasts - if they got a lot to talk about a subject, I wanna see that through - but The Flophouse probably benefits as a whole from it. They barely talk about the movie as it is, without limits they'd get lost in the tangent woods for hours.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I'm usually of the same mind, the only exception for me was Skeptoid but in that case the 15 minutes or less thing worked because I'd just let the episodes play continuously and they work pretty well as lil segments.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I listen to podcasts at work, that's 40 hours a week to fill, I love big meaty podcasts like Dan Carlin's crazy 20+ hours of World War One.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It all depends on the podcast, the subjects and the hosts how I feel about run time. I feel like I should have made that more clear. Some people can run as long as they want but others need that gun to their head to keep under two hours of rambling nonsense bullshit that only they find amusing. It's an odd and delicate balance.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I feel l like Weekend at Bernie's is one of those movies that pops up in pop culture every now and then int he form of some over long reference on some dumb show. It's a pop culture reference that refuses to get flushed down the toilet.

Am I wrong or what?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

No, it's definitely a persistent pop culture reference, because there are very few other options as far as shorthand for "parading around the corpse of something obviously dead for personal gain".

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It's a silly and weird movie. hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Paul Scheer's new show is about some reality TV program?