Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

serious gaylord posted:

You may notice he uses a GW drybrush, not a nice new brush. The reason its mashed into the tissue is to distribute the paint evenly while wiping off the excess, this is to stop the newbie drybrush error where you get a streak of paint because its not been wiped off properly. Its a normal way of doing it.

Hmmmm mm

I just Googled the cost of the GW Dry Brush and it seems signifigantly more expensive then a brush that is supposed to be mauled should be. Did I read it wrong, and are there 5 in the bag?

Speaking of which the Archaon Pony is missing his fourth head. Either Slaanesh or a Rats, I honestly don't care. Did he have to take a sickly three headed pony instead because it has the skull-cancer? Like a sympathy thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Doctor Borris posted:

Speaking of which the Archaon Pony is missing his fourth head. Either Slaanesh or a Rats, I honestly don't care. Did he have to take a sickly three headed pony instead because it has the skull-cancer? Like a sympathy thing?

The Slaanesh head on the other end.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

The main reason they're making these over-wrought, overly-busy miniatures is because they're got their heads so far up their asses with this "WE MAKE THE FINEST MINIATURES IN THE WORLD!" business that that's all they care about, and the think "more detail=more finest miniatureness!" which from a technical standpoint, in terms of being able to produce such miniatures, might be true, but from an aesthetic, modelling, and painting standpoint, it's falling flat on its face because yeah they're super-detailed, but they're ugly as poo poo and a complete chore to build and paint.

The finest miniatures stuff is just a marketing cover for the idea that they have a loyal, fixed audience with large amounts of discretionary income. If you think that your sales volume will remain constant no matter what you release or how pricy it is then you need to figure out ways to make your product increasingly expensive in order to remain profitable.

So it's likely not some sort of directive of "more skulls == more fineness and we must have the finest miniatures" it's a guy in business going "hey for our next quarter we need to release a $200 character model to hit target, try to figure out how and why" and so you get these oversized uninspired things with random skulls needed to fill out all the space. Because in their idea of their audience and business model it would be irresponsible to release a $50 Archaon when the exact same number of people would buy it for $165 if they made it suitably large or detailed or optioned or whatever.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Drybrush everything. And I'll slap the words out of any nerd's mouth who says poo poo to me about my painting but I'm the sort of tough guy you nerds don't want to mess with.

edit: nerds

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004
If you don't dry brush you are a virgin.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
drybrush and chill?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

bencreateddisco posted:

manually highlighting wood-grain is literally torture

Incorrect. Freehanding in wood grain on a smooth surface redefines what the word torture means.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah if you ask me it matters more what techniques you use than how good the model looks

lol if you dry brush

Emperor Karl Franz
Aug 25, 2015

Daedleh posted:

Frontline gaming is having a Black Friday sale with GW stuff at 15-20% off, and AOS at 40% off because:

Where's the second quote from, where they admit it's a bad seller?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Good to know about the Frontline sale regardless of AoS. Been wanting to get a 4x4 fat mat for Warmachine and a sale makes it feel a little less ridiculous spending a bunch of money on a giant mouse pad.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

fnordcircle posted:

Drybrush everything. And I'll slap the words out of any nerd's mouth who says poo poo to me about my painting but I'm the sort of tough guy you nerds don't want to mess with.

edit: nerds

Fight me!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I just dip my models into household gloss and then tie them to a bit of string and spin them round really fast so most of it flies off.

I make modern art as a side business.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Saint Drogo posted:

imagine shoplifting that fucker and getting caught and having the police called on you. imagine their faces when they see what you were stealing.

If Frankie from Cannery Row can (barely almost) get away with stealing that St. George clock, then it's possible to steal that lovely busy model.

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

If Frankie from Cannery Row can (barely almost) get away with stealing that St. George clock, then it's possible to steal that lovely busy model.

Steinbeck up in this bitch.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Doctor Borris posted:

Hmmmm mm

I just Googled the cost of the GW Dry Brush and it seems signifigantly more expensive then a brush that is supposed to be mauled should be. Did I read it wrong, and are there 5 in the bag?

Pretty much every tool GW puts out is significantly more expensive than it should be.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I actually really like some of their "Dry" paints

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
They're called dry because that's how you're going to be taking GW's dick.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Just the way I like it and I hope it leaves behind a little Texture, perhaps Agrellan Earth

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Emperor Karl Franz posted:

Where's the second quote from, where they admit it's a bad seller?

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/60/571413.page#8275698

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Clearly that guy is just being a hater, Age of Sigmar is great, what does "Frontline Gaming" know about sale-

Oh.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Drybrushing is great for beginners/churning out lots of tabletop quality dudes. it is also very good for painting skeletons so I expected this thread to be all for it :colbert:

FrostyPox posted:

Clearly that guy is just being a hater, Age of Sigmar is great, what does "Frontline Gaming" know about sale-

Oh.
It was up to outlets like Frontline to promote AoS, especially after it became clear the stick-up-the-rear end gaming audience was resistant to something so innovative. they had a choice, they could have backed this bold new direction in wargaming and instead they cut it loose like cowards.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Saint Drogo posted:

Drybrushing is great for beginners/churning out lots of tabletop quality dudes. it is also very good for painting skeletons so I expected this thread to be all for it :colbert:

It was up to outlets like Frontline to promote AoS, especially after it became clear the stick-up-the-rear end gaming audience was resistant to something so innovative. they had a choice, they could have backed this bold new direction in wargaming and instead they cut it loose like cowards.

This post is fantastic holy poo poo

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

AoS cannot fail it can only be failed

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Drybrushing is good, but it's not for everything. It can make everything look really muddy. My super secret technique is wash. Specifically sepia and or black.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Washes and dry brushing are for bases. Got to get those blends, brah. Or do whatever you like because you're painting space dollies and no one should care.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

This post is fantastic holy poo poo

Did you notice the point when it went from trolling to art?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Drybrushing is a good "cheat" technique, for seeing where the actual painted highlights on a figure should go (followed up by actually going back and properly highlighting the figure, of course). Dr. Faust's Painting Clinic has a video where he demonstrates this on some Bolt Action Soviets.

Saint Drogo posted:

:stare:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Drybrushing is acceptable for fur and ground texture, as well as maybe highlights on something like chainmail.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What are you talking about, drybrushing is a perfectly fine technique for all sorts of surfaces.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I am tempted to post Transformers customs, because those chaps drybrush so hard their skin flakes off.

SynthOrange posted:

What are you talking about, drybrushing is a perfectly fine technique for all sorts of surfaces.

Is that actually drybrushing

I started painting some models last week and found they looked like that from bad priming, maybe here or there

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
That's just the Dust Ravens chapter.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Textured paint was very popular in the late 40090s.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Rhinestone cowboy!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

I am tempted to post Transformers customs, because those chaps drybrush so hard their skin flakes off.
Is that actually drybrushing

I started painting some models last week and found they looked like that from bad priming, maybe here or there

Yeah that's not drybrushing proper unless that pebbly texture was already there for the drybrushing to pick out

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I used to drybrush quite heavily when I still had my Imperial Guard army. Because drat if I was going to spend that much time on each guardsman when I had to paint piles of the goons. The Kasrkin, Command Squads, and other special dudes got a better treatment, but the regular guardsman had some lovely, grubby, drybrushed gear. Prime, base coats, drybrush, wash/bathe in mud, drybrush, detail, done.

No more large scale games or big vehicles for me. Only skirmish now.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
So thread your suggestion would be to

Drybrush Neatwood?

:siren: DO NOT GIVE GW MONKEY :siren:

Fake edit: "I want to be a recaster."

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SynthOrange posted:

stucco marines

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It's a genuinely fine example of pointillism

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Awww poo poo this thread is back. Missed you dudes, anime chats, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Washes and dry brushing are for bases. Got to get those blends, brah.
:agreed:
Painting competitions are cool and good.

E: like wtf would you even go through and paint your models progressively better if not to start entering them into painting competitions? :psyduck:

• Locked thread