Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Snatch Duster posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Wildstar will be shutdown within a year [IGN] [NEWS] [56k no way!]

Oh a thread title making fun of the game in question, I wonder if anyone else does that, hm

Star Wars: TOR - Knights of the Fallen Empire. An MMO you can play alone!
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - Unlimited Grinding Simulator
APB: Reloaded - The highs are very high and the lows are very frequent

quote:

The entire point of the thread is making fun of wildstar lol you loving dummy

The OP has zero content about the game, and its last 20+ pages is mocking the game loving lol

Past 7+ pages have been people discussing the game, it kinda stopped being a 'lol wildstar' circlejerk near the end of the last thread

I mean go ahead and make fun of it if you can be funny but at least bring your A game rather than no-effort 'LOL NERDS'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I don't get why we can't test out this game? I made fun of it but me and I am sure many others hope it does get it head out of it rear end and start being a less shity game since there is potential. and with it's f2P modal being very good It only cost time to download it.

if you want to make a thread to just trash this game non stop then maybe make one in imp zone

Cyron fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 19, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Dyne posted:

Oh a thread title making fun of the game in question, I wonder if anyone else does that, hm

Star Wars: TOR - Knights of the Fallen Empire. An MMO you can play alone!
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - Unlimited Grinding Simulator
APB: Reloaded - The highs are very high and the lows are very frequent

Past 7+ pages have been people discussing the game, it kinda stopped being a 'lol wildstar' circlejerk near the end of the last thread

I mean go ahead and make fun of it if you can be funny but at least bring your A game rather than no-effort 'LOL NERDS'

lol what a poo poo nerd playing a poo poo game

Wildstar is bad and always will be bad, if you can't accept that then lol

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snatch Duster posted:

lol what a poo poo nerd playing a poo poo game

Wildstar is bad and always will be bad, if you can't accept that then lol

Lots of game threads have joke titles!

*Lists 3 incredibly lovely and bad games.*

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Unlike those game threads, Wildstar thread was started to make fun of it. Atleast those threads have an OP with content promoting the game lol

This retarded babby goon too thick to realize this. Maybe that is why he continues to play wildsuck, because he is retarded.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

angry nerds have decided this database entry is only for certain talk; get extra angry when no one gives a gently caress

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I was unaware that threads specifically made for one purpose weren't constantly poo poo up by bitter angry nerds. Then I saw the fallout thread and realized that goons are just generally awful no matter what thread they post in.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Ah, yes, goons fighting over the fact there isn't enough mockery. Now we're back up to standard. Everyone carry on.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I mean I guess I could make a legit thread but I'm pretty sure it would be poo poo up.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhymenoserous posted:

I mean I guess I could make a legit thread but I'm pretty sure it would be poo poo up.

Probably, I'm just loling that you nerds keep posting in the mock thread and get butthurt that I and other goons mock your poo poo game lol

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Snatch Duster posted:

Probably, I'm just loling that you nerds keep posting in the mock thread and get butthurt that I and other goons mock your poo poo game lol

Nobody really cares one way or the other tbqh

I mean it's a f2p game who gives a poo poo

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

What would an effort post op even look like? I mean what stats and builds are even recommended now that they decided 32 new flavors of secondary stat was a good idea

How does this game even work

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anoia posted:

What would an effort post op even look like? I mean what stats and builds are even recommended now that they decided 32 new flavors of secondary stat was a good idea

They simplified secondary stats, the only two that kinda stand out as different from other MMO's are intensity and Vigor

But basically if you are a crit class you build like this:

Strikethrough (To hit) to whatever content you are doing.
Crit to 20% (Soft cap before DR).
Crit Severity
Vigor
All else

For healing it's all focus pool/focus regen/multihit because if someone is taking big enough hits that small flash heals won't get them topped up over a 30 second period they are doing something super wrong anyways and are doomed to die.

Unlike a lot of MMO's most damage to non tank classes is mostly avoidable to the point where I've had a healer dumb himself into a wall of fire and still managed to kill a boss from 75% health all the way to dead. There are only a couple of DPS races in the game that I've seen (Or fights where loads of good dps simplify things) and really it benefits you more to put out steady ok'ish dps while paying attention to mechanics rather than be some dps superstar who fucks up a lot and causes the healer to panic heal/break out nasty focus intensive skills that he'd rather not use.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 19, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anoia posted:

Rhymenoserous posted:

They simplified secondary stats, the only two that kinda stand out as different from other MMO's are intensity and Vigor

But basically if you are a crit class you build like this:

Strikethrough (To hit) to whatever content you are doing.
Crit to 20% (Soft cap before DR).
Crit Severity
Vigor
All else

For healing it's all focus pool/focus regen/multihit because if someone is taking big enough hits that small flash heals won't get them topped up over a 30 second period they are doing something super wrong anyways and are doomed to die.

Unlike a lot of MMO's most damage to non tank classes is mostly avoidable to the point where I've had a healer dumb himself into a wall of fire and still managed to kill a boss from 75% health all the way to dead. There are only a couple of DPS races in the game that I've seen (Or fights where loads of good dps simplify things) and really it benefits you more to put out steady ok'ish dps while paying attention to mechanics rather than be some dps superstar who fucks up a lot and causes the healer to panic heal/break out nasty focus intensive skills that he'd rather not use.

loving lol only autists play this game hahahaha

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Finally the Wildstar thread that I deserve is happening.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Snatch Duster posted:

loving lol only autists play this game hahahaha

Lol, haha. Nice posts dude. You'll be an imp zone superstar in no time :greenangel: :boom: :chanpop: :bandwagon:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
How about we just have a thread where people can talk about playing Wildstar and not playing Wildstar. That way everyone wins.

Except for those playing Wildstar

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Hi,

Is this good now?

tia

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Wheeee posted:

Hi,

Is this good now?

tia

eh

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Anoia posted:

32 stats just means more numbers to go up

guess you can't handle the hardcore, heh

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
i honestly didn't find the leveling experience that godawful in this game, but I can't warrant wasting my hard-earned daylight again for a "gently caress you" reward at leveling climax

also the saturated color design in this game is somehow brighter than visiting the sun outside, and I'm trying to develop a pale nerdy complexion for gamer girls

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Anoia posted:

Did that ever backfire?

I wish it had, but no. Nerds on the internet are too scared of that sort of thing.

Gildiss posted:

Lots of game threads have joke titles!

*Lists 3 incredibly lovely and bad games.*

that just means he has lovely taste in games, not that goons don't make jokes in every thread title in this entire subforum.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Wheeee posted:

Hi,

Is this good now?

tia

It's not as bad as it was, but I'd say it's hovering between good and mediocre, depending on your tastes. It's pretty much your standard theme park and action MMO so if you enjoy either of those, get on it. The community has some major idiots in it but the developers and community managers seem to have taken a sharp turn for the better, and the combat is pretty fun; I can't remember if TERA felt like it controlled better or not but it does feel like it handles better than Neverwinter, at least.

Though since there's a WAR private server that's active enough to have fast scenario queues and mostly functional public quests, I don't know that I'm gonna pay much attention to Wildstar.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

that just means he has lovely taste in games, not that goons don't make jokes in every thread title in this entire subforum.

I just looked at the first page of the MMO HMO and those were the first three that I saw that I knew were active MMOs. I didn't think the CoX thread counted and I didn't dig too much into it, but yeah, thread titles have jokes, film at 11.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 21, 2015

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

John Dyne posted:

...the combat is pretty fun; I can't remember if TERA felt like it controlled better or not but it does feel like it handles better than Neverwinter, at least.

Wildstar combat is very different to TERA. Both of them are non tab-target, but that's about where the similarity ends. TERA abilities are animation locked with hitboxes consistent to the character model, reminiscent of 3D beat-em-ups. Almost all the abilities in Wildstar can be used while still fully controlling the movement of your character, and character animations are just fluff rather than reflecting the actual hitbox (which is what the telegraphs are for).

I'm not especially advocating for one style over the other. TERA's system felt like it had a little more depth and potential for mastery, using your choice of ability to also control how your character is moving. Wildstar's complete freedom of movement was quite refreshing though, especially coming from Wow-like MMO's which so often force you to be entirely stationary while casting. Esper's notably didn't fit with that paradigm, which was the cause of a lot of complaints until they just gave them the same freedom of movement as other classes.

hit button fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 22, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Okay, yeah, that's what I was getting at but I couldn't remember how TERA did things. TERA felt a lot stiffer because of that, but Wildstar, your rear end is zipping around shooting laser beams and swinging a huge sword at mach 5. It felt a lot more loose.

Neverwinter kinda sat in the middle of that where, if I recall. I didn't play TERA much since the friends I joined ended up not sticking with it for very long, but Wildstar does feel more arcade-like than Neverwinter and TERA.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I love my dead gay game

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 23, 2015

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Minorkos posted:

I don't doubt that there are people who like modern MMORPGs. The problem is that I also like the genre, but only in theory. Massive multiplayer online role playing game! I love all those things. But I don't actually like the MMORPGs on the market today at all, and they all seem to have the same exact issues and it drives me nuts. I think it's the same thing for a lot of others because some people actually agreed with my spergy rant. I think there is actually a whole new market for these crazy innovative multiplayer RPGs with lots of people and a big world (not MMORPG)

Yeah, I re-read my post and I think it came across as too antagonistic towards you. I think we're in violent agreement: Different folks want different things from an MMO; Makers of MMOs are trying to be all things to all people; Modern MMOs aren't very good.

I also love the genre in theory. I love western-style RPGs with open worlds and choices for which zone to go to next. I love character customization - hell, I usually run without a helmet on in single-player games because I like my pretty princess, damnit. I like playing games with other people. I love co-operative games. I play a healer in nearly every MMO in which that's an option.

And, yeah, I agree with you. MMOs all seem to have the exact same issues and it's heartbreaking to see the wasted potential. Again, I get why it happens. It's a numbers game, because MMOs are insanely expensive to develop, so targeting the maximum number of players is the right idea. It just makes for really bland, boring, and frustrating experiences. Wildstar is actually a great example of this. It's just so bad, and not because of any one major thing. I just didn't find any part of it fun.

I guess I'll keep playing these games for a couple of weeks each until the issues overwhelm me and I quit.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

any good wildstar teeth lately?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

quote:

Heya guys,
I recently payed 20 euros to wildstar for a realm transfer (am going to link a screen of this further down), and the other day me and some friends got talking about the game and how it seems carbine are low on staff since some bugs are not being fixed, and new dungeons/raids aren't really being announced/launched. I WANT TO STRESS THIS IS NOT MENT AS A SARCASTIC HATEPOST! Considering how the initial launch of wildstar had its troubles and unbalanced spots, which ended up kinda ruining it, because people then left, we have to admit that the game has gotten far since then in the new F2P version. There's still some weird bugs when they patch up from time to time, which can be real bothersome, and content isn't really being thrown out there as fast as we wan't it too.
If you reached the point where you are raiding DS, in a guild which actually downs bosses, or you are just waiting for the warplot party to assemble, you also start worrying a bit at this point, cuz what happens when you reach the same point as guilds like Enigma and Codex? All there will be then is Housing and farming the raids, to perfect your gear. I'm not saying you can't spend hours on end on housing, but some of us came to clear content, or earn pvp rewards, or both right?: )
I know I'm hitting you guys with a wall of text, but what I'm trying to get at is basically that Wildstar is great! Wildstar has sweet graphics, a fantastic story, and challenging and fun endgame content. On top of that the community is actually rather great too, because we're rid of most of the 13-year-olds who only played WoW from MoP and later versions. But right now I feel the game needs to secure the future some more, like I miss to see some new dungeons being announced, or a new raid even. I know they made Y-80-something in F2P, and its cool, but one boss is just not enough to satisfy tbh. Even a trailer would hype me again you know, and I'm thinking they are planning it ofc., I won't believe that the devs stopped listening, so my guess is that Carbine are undermanned pt. and needs more money to hire the guys they lack. This would ensure faster bug fixes, and faster content development.
So how too (here comes the fundraiser part)? I'm thinking that just like I did, we could all tip in a bit for our favorite MMO here. Post a comment in here with a screenshot link from what you bought. Be it ingame for Ncoins or whatever who cares. Just show some faith in the game, and in eachother, cuz I know its hard to spend money on an mmo, if you fear that I might crash and burn sometime, but LISTEN, it won't ever crash and burn, if we guys stick together and support Carbine. Even with the playerbase as it would be now, we wouldn't even need to all buy signature, I mean just buying some ncoins once in a while is cool enough, and like that we can show that we still support this game, and want it to strive!
I know I sound like a mom-cellar-wanker, but I just have tryed so many MMO's out there for years on end, and I seriously have never been thrown aback as much as I have been from Wildstar. It is crazy amazing, and all it needs is it's hype back! It's needs some hype, and it needs its players to show the support it deserves!
And for crying out loud! half of you guys subscribed to WoW for hundreds of Euros, even after the crusader patch in Wotlk, and you all still tell yourself it wasn't a waste of money, so don't you think you could spend say 3 subscription fee's at least then on Wildstar?, a game that takes it players seriously, and don't just throw poo poo (and pandas) in their faces expansion after expansion. Oh gawd, now I sounded like I'm anti WoW, well I am these days, but I loved vanilla, and even TBC, but it just died for me after crusader patch in Wrath sorry guys if you love WoW so bet it, but then why are you even reading this? xD
that's it! I'm out, hope you all enjoyed, and I hope I see you ingame guys!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

tl;dr

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Trying so hard not to offend anyone about anything. 'This is not a hate post! Don't get me wrong, I love everything, but everything needs to improve. NO OFFENSE'

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Dr. Teeth really scarred the members of the wildstar Reddit.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

John Dyne posted:

Trying so hard not to offend anyone about anything. 'This is not a hate post! Don't get me wrong, I love everything, but everything needs to improve. NO OFFENSE'

I can't tell if it reads more like someone with autism, someone under the age of 13, or both. I expect the next post from the person to say they cosplay their wildstar character or that they believe wildstar is real life

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
You guys can keep talking about how engaged you are by the content of wild star and I'll keep insulting your intelligence, heritage and morality. There's room for everyone on this big beautiful trash thread of ours.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I can't tell if it reads more like someone with autism, someone under the age of 13, or both. I expect the next post from the person to say they cosplay their wildstar character or that they believe wildstar is real life

Nah the next post is "WHY IS THISCOMMUNITY SO poo poo, I thought we all cared about each other but I guess I was wrong!!"

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

John Dyne posted:

Though since there's a WAR private server that's active enough to have fast scenario queues and mostly functional public quests

Holy poo poo am I glad I remembered to check back on this thread

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

John Dyne posted:

Though since there's a WAR private server that's active enough to have fast scenario queues and mostly functional public quests

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

Nah the next post is "WHY IS THISCOMMUNITY SO poo poo, I thought we all cared about each other but I guess I was wrong!!"

TBH the community is the absolute worst. Any attempt at discussion of creating duplicate content at a lesser difficulty level is met by the same screeching douchbags that don't understand modern MMO's or why their MMO of choice hemmorage players/crashed hard within two months of launch.

May as well post content: The attuned members of my guild managed to buddy up with a raiding guild who is running alts through GA so we could see what raiding is like/have a core group who understands mechanics for when we step in for the first time as a full guild. We got all the way up to the last boss this week, and the only reason we didn't down him is with so many first timers boss explanations ate up most of the night, this bodes well for week after next.

I'll re-iterate that raiding in this game is a pretty top notch experience, and they give me the same vibe that the current dungeons do "Difficult but doable". There are a dozen(ish) minibosses that all spit out loot, plus the bosses as well, I did get a bit annoyed that most of the pieces I rolled on and actually won were fairly minor upgrades, but that's nothing unique to this game.

The only thing I don't really like is that the number of tanks/healers per fight are in flux. This means rather than just gearing 2 tanks/3-4 healers you need to have a few semi geared tanks/healers that swap roles based on boss. I could see this being annoying for someone who hasn't built a good stable of "Offset Gear". Though realistically if you've farmed dungeons to any degree you should in theory have a minimally competent offset. I mean I do.

To Cyster: The runefragment changes in the last few patches are beautiful. But the cost of rerolling runes is still prohibitive, not so much to me, but to new 50's. Most of the gear given by the daily contracts board is useless, if you convinced someone to say put a rune reroll token in each reward tier it would solve the problem nicely while still keeping slightly goldsinky aspects in play for people quick gearing alts. Just sayin.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So are they keeping a decent playerbase or has it done the usual MMO post-launch drop off?

• Locked thread