Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I am sure that this has been asked a thousand times and I apologize for it, but is there a way/mod to restrict services to a certain area so I don't have my population centers getting deserted because all of my hearses are on the other continent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am sure that this has been asked a thousand times and I apologize for it, but is there a way/mod to restrict services to a certain area so I don't have my population centers getting deserted because all of my hearses are on the other continent?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=433249875&searchtext=hearse+AI and http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=439582006 may get you somewhere close.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cheers! I'll give them a shot.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
First off http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=558960454 :supaburn: :supaburn: :getin:

Secondly, some screenshots from my second, and now favorite, city:

And the triple interchange designed by madmen and forsaken by God and engineers that, somehow, holds all of it together:

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 24, 2015

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I'm just waiting for the game to be mature enough so we get something like NAM instead of fiddling with different mods. Of course at that point it will probably lead to a bunch of dependencies in order to download a simple lot. Ugh.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Baronjutter posted:

Money is generally trivial in city builders. If a game had even close to realistic budgets you'd end up with situations like lovely american cities that sprawled so bad they can't afford the upkeep on their roads anymore. I mean I'd love that, I'd love a game that actually attempted to model some of the financial considerations that goes into planning a city. I'd love to see short-term profits and "giving people what they want" pressures pushing hard for spawl, but then the city's budgets collapsing when that thin tax base can't support its spread out infrastructure.

There's no satisfying way to model this in a game, though, because the player is an immortal god who knows the mechanics of the game once he's played it and/or read gamefaqs for 20 hours. The trouble with real life politicians is they're incentivized to think only about right now; the problems their decisions create for ten years down the road will be someone else's problems to deal with. In a game The Player knows those problems will be his to deal with and will avoid the kind of short-term profit and re-election behavior that cripples American cities. And it would just be irritating and unfun if the game forced such problems down the player's throat.

Plus there are mechanics that are gamey and unrealistic but necessary to make the game not totally annoying, such as being able to bulldoze roads cheaply and make them instantly disappear. An optional Hard Mode where that's no longer possible and you have to live with tomorrow's consequences for today's design decisions would be interesting. But I wouldn't want to play the game that way all the time.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

And the triple interchange designed by madmen and forsaken by God and engineers that, somehow, holds all of it together:

Unlike the rest of your roads that thing actually looks like the kind of thing you'd expect from a German city road network.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Plus there are mechanics that are gamey and unrealistic but necessary to make the game not totally annoying, such as being able to bulldoze roads cheaply and make them instantly disappear. An optional Hard Mode where that's no longer possible and you have to live with tomorrow's consequences for today's design decisions would be interesting. But I wouldn't want to play the game that way all the time.

It could have random events where your expenses double overnight because the federal government decided to off-load a bunch of financial responsibilities onto communities or you get 24 hour notice before 2000 refugees get carted into your 500 resident hamlet :v:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Money is generally trivial in city builders. If a game had even close to realistic budgets you'd end up with situations like lovely american cities that sprawled so bad they can't afford the upkeep on their roads anymore. I mean I'd love that, I'd love a game that actually attempted to model some of the financial considerations that goes into planning a city. I'd love to see short-term profits and "giving people what they want" pressures pushing hard for spawl, but then the city's budgets collapsing when that thin tax base can't support its spread out infrastructure.

I'm sure there will be a mod.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I was watching Fluxtrance's video and in his main city, he played with unlimited money/unlocks, and he zoned directly into high-density after he designed his road structure and utilities. I just tried to do the same thing and sat around a 3 speed for several months and my high-density zones didn't build at all. What gives? Is it possible to zone directly into high-density and bypass low-density?

Cuz I'd like to design my downtown first and then fan out and design suburbs later. I know I could just upgrade the low into high later, but idk having a high-density grid filled with little caddyshack houses just feels off to me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Count Roland posted:

I'm sure there will be a mod.

Nah a game would have to be built from the ground up around those concepts to work, can't really tack them on.

You'd have special interests, community groups, developers, and elections. You wouldn't really be the mayor because who wants game over if you "lose" but instead you'd do your best to get certain types of mayor/council in that would allow you to do certain things. So if the single family housing developer lobby gets their candidate in you can't do anything to contain sprawl, your options are limited. Big chunks of land just start automatically getting privately built roads for their subdivisions and you can't do poo poo because your city government is pro-sprawl. And if despite all that you tried to improve the walkability in your core you'd run up against NIMBY groups and laws passed against wasteful transit spending that instead get earmarked for highways.

Or just everything you do would also cost "political capital" on top of money, and depending on the politics of your city different things would cost different amounts of political capital. Depending on your city's politics implementing transit or high density could be very cheap or very expensive, politically. And you'd generate political capital by giving people what they think they want. So traffic is bad and people think they need more highways. You know that won't fix the situation but populist politics say that's what you need to do. So you sigh and draw your highways, costing tons of money but generating the political capital you know you'll need to hopefully pass that ordinance to remove parking minimums from downtown zoning.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 24, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So a neighboring suburb decided to do this with an overpass, it's their busiest intersection by far and they've been doing major upgrades to the road the past couple years, so it made sense to try something different to improve flow. I'm just not convinced this is an effective design:

I mean, I see the thought process. It allows traffic entering and leaving the highway to merge without having to worry about oncoming traffic blocking your intersection. But it produces a ton of extra traffic signals so I'm not sure it actually buys anyone anything.

It's too new to have any satellite photos of it and I'm not sure what the design is called.. I'm sure some engineer somewhere has researched it and given it a name though.

They should have built a giant highway ring instead, Cities: Skylines style.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

It's too new to have any satellite photos of it and I'm not sure what the design is called.. I'm sure some engineer somewhere has researched it and given it a name though.

Diverging Diamond Interchange.

(Giant "roundabout" interchanges also exist in real life, by the way.)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's called a diverging diamond and, as you say, it is safer and better for traffic flow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well having driven over it a few times now I hate it, but am somewhat curious to watch how Illinois drivers find a way to gently caress it up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

New infrastructure that's objectively better but suffers from being "new" is always better in the long term. Drivers do actually have the capacity to learn, eventually.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

xzzy posted:

Well having driven over it a few times now I hate it, but am somewhat curious to watch how Illinois drivers find a way to gently caress it up.

What do you hate about it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

What do you hate about it?

Hard to take at speed, it's marked as a 45 mph chunk of road but now you have to do it at 30-35 to safely make the bends. It's possible they just made the interchange too small. At the south end there's a second stop light that is too close to the interchange, and during rush hour traffic overflows onto the bridge, causing problems for people driving north.

I appreciate that this diverging diamonds business makes sense mathematically, but what they didn't factor into the equation is the capacity for the regional government to gently caress the implementation up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

xzzy posted:

I appreciate that this diverging diamonds business makes sense mathematically, but what they didn't factor into the equation is the capacity for the regional government to gently caress the implementation up.

Well let's be fair to them, I mean, who could have seen THAT coming?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Utah started installing those en masse a few years ago and they do their job and no one hits anyone on them. You and your neighbors will be a-ok. We have even more confusing intersections (like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6821204,-111.9811503,18.04z ) and people learn.

mutata fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 24, 2015

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

quadrophrenic posted:

I was watching Fluxtrance's video and in his main city, he played with unlimited money/unlocks, and he zoned directly into high-density after he designed his road structure and utilities. I just tried to do the same thing and sat around a 3 speed for several months and my high-density zones didn't build at all. What gives? Is it possible to zone directly into high-density and bypass low-density?

Cuz I'd like to design my downtown first and then fan out and design suburbs later. I know I could just upgrade the low into high later, but idk having a high-density grid filled with little caddyshack houses just feels off to me.

This happened to me, turned out to be a mod conflict. Check yo mods

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The venerable "Ask me about being a Traffic Engineer!" thread is pretty good for discussions about things like this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805

DDIs are a fairly new design but there seems to be a lot of them getting built now.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

mutata posted:

Utah started installing those en masse a few years ago and they do their job and no one hits anyone on them. You and your neighbors will be a-ok. We have even more confusing intersections (like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6821204,-111.9811503,18.04z ) and people learn.

why is everything a grid

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BBJoey posted:

why is everything a grid
Everything built in the US after 1946 is literally Sim City.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

mutata posted:

Everytime I think suburbia where I live is bad, I just think "the US exists" and know that it gets so much worse and be grateful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

zedprime posted:

Everything built in the US after 1946 is literally Sim City.

Not everything.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

xzzy posted:

Not everything.

why

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Landowners got into a fight when they were platting the city.

The loser owned the land with the diagonal roads.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sorry, does that say Hellgate High School??

edit: holy poo poo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

brb renaming all my schools to be metal as gently caress

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BBJoey posted:

why is everything a grid

Utahns pride themselves on their precious "grid system" where all roads are denoted by their coordinate number and addresses take the form of "210 south 400 west" type coordinates so you theoretically don't need a map to find a place.

It rarely works out that way though (for example I live in "Kirkbride Avenue" so no one ever knows where the gently caress I live), so usually I just curse it, but it's a matter of pride since Brigham Young came up with it in the mid 1800s or something.

I grew up in southern California where everything is a curved road, so I hear you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Sorry, does that say Hellgate High School??

edit: holy poo poo

Wow, I mean that's what every high school student thinks the school's name SHOULD be but I've never seen it made official before.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's pioneer language for you, and having the advantage of living near the river gorge they used the name on. The west in general is full of rad names like that.

Imagine living near the Tetons. :v:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

There's a Hell Gate in NYC.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bold Robot posted:

There's a Hell Gate in NYC.

Fresh Kills Park

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

Fresh Kills Park

Formerly Fresh Kills Landfill.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Subyng posted:

Everytime I think suburbia where I live is bad, I just think "the US exists" and know that it gets so much worse and be grateful.

You're not wrong, but at least here in Utah, we are surrounded by and within a 15-minutes drive from some of the most beautiful mountains in America.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

New infrastructure that's objectively better but suffers from being "new" is always better in the long term. Drivers do actually have the capacity to learn, eventually.

Wish people would learn round-a-bouts they've been here for years and I still have panic attacks going in to them because people don't understand which lane to use.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Reason posted:

Wish people would learn round-a-bouts they've been here for years and I still have panic attacks going in to them because people don't understand which lane to use.

Multi lane roundabouts are dumb, single lane or turbo.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Multi lane roundabouts are dumb,

actually;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

Meanwhile my neighborhood in Los Angeles was clearly designed by someone who didn't have the Precision Engineering mod installed.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is what most people's first city looks like. Just grids intersecting grids at horrible angles with the odd street just not perpendicular to anything.