Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Teeter posted:

Looking up my car online, the specs list a 13 gallon fuel tank. I average 24mpg and typically go 250 miles between fillups. I fill up almost immediately when the low fuel light comes on, but it generally only takes ~10 gallons to be full. I could easily go an extra 60+ miles with those 3 unused gallons. Not that I'd want to push it, but does that seem to be correct or common with cars? Is 20% of my gas tank's range really hidden behind the low fuel light?

obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEdU_lrtZk

The common "reserve level" is 2 gallons of fuel left when the light turns on and the needle is just above E, and you'll have a gallon and a little once it hits E entirely. But this varies from as little as 1 gallon in some cars to as much as 5 or 8 gallons in large (and low mpg) pickups/suvs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is there some level of variance allowed in prepackaged food weights? I've started weighing some prepackaged foods and according to my kitchen scale they are often below the stated amount (even including packaging) and never above the stated amount. And yet when I place a 2 lb weight on the scale it comes up as 32 oz. Just seems odd.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

OctoberBlues posted:

Is there some level of variance allowed in prepackaged food weights? I've started weighing some prepackaged foods and according to my kitchen scale they are often below the stated amount (even including packaging) and never above the stated amount. And yet when I place a 2 lb weight on the scale it comes up as 32 oz. Just seems odd.

Whole Foods just got fined for consistently having prepackaged foods below their stated weight. I think, in theory, minor variance is allowed as long as it is equally likely to be above the stated weight as below it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

As in any type of manufacturing, food included, there will be a distribution of weight/volume/size etc. among any large enough sample of the product. This is normal (heh) and expected, but if you're consistently getting below the stated value then that's kind of fishy. The stated weight should be the average size.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some bogus rule allowing companies to fudge those numbers somewhat. They let them round down especially low calorie counts on stuff like crystal light and gum, for example.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Archimago posted:

Brink(s)manship (you can spell it either way) is the closest thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned already, but depending on the specific context you're trying to use it in, there's a good chance it doesn't quite mean what you want. It really only applies specifically to politics but I've seen it used outside of that on occasion and (reasonably educated) people will know what you mean. Also it's kind of a cool word.

This is a fun little word challenge. I'll go to sleep thinking on it and if I come up with something better in my dreams I'll post it.

Merriam Webster is dumb--they literally define the word "literally" to mean "figuratively." OED defines it as "any contest which is futile or purposeless especially ones pursued in a conspicuously aggressive manner" which is the definition I (and you, it seems) would tend to agree with more.

e. Just saw this on The Wikipedias entry for Pissing Contest and in case you somehow hadn't seen this I felt compelled to share:

:stonk:

The Irish have never been ones to do anything by halves. :stare:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

As in any type of manufacturing, food included, there will be a distribution of weight/volume/size etc. among any large enough sample of the product. This is normal (heh) and expected, but if you're consistently getting below the stated value then that's kind of fishy. The stated weight should be the average size.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some bogus rule allowing companies to fudge those numbers somewhat. They let them round down especially low calorie counts on stuff like crystal light and gum, for example.

It's also worth noting that the FDA is massively underfunded, and the food companies know this, and know that they can probably get away with poo poo like that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Say I hot glue a strong magnet into the internals of a game controller. Would it reliably stick to a metallic surface?

Or maybe using an epoxy to attach it to outside of the controller somewhere? I was thinking battery packs.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 24, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

SwissCM posted:

Say I hot glue a strong magnet into the internals of a game controller. Would it reliably stick to a metallic surface?

Or maybe using an epoxy to attach it to outside of the controller somewhere? I was thinking battery packs.

Sure, so long as the glue is stronger then the pull force of the magnet. However, most magnets are hard to glue because they are so smooth. I used to buy glue ready magnets from some place online, I cannot find the damm place on google but it was like "Letter & Letter Magnetics". Iirc they have one side roughed up so the glue will hold better.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Sure, so long as the glue is stronger then the pull force of the magnet. However, most magnets are hard to glue because they are so smooth. I used to buy glue ready magnets from some place online, I cannot find the damm place on google but it was like "Letter & Letter Magnetics". Iirc they have one side roughed up so the glue will hold better.

Can't you just rough up one side of the magnet yourself with a rasp or sandpaper or something?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

FreshFeesh posted:

With some frequency when I load a thread it looks like the following screenshot, with most all of the text and images missing. Highlighting the text creates the highlight box as normal, but doesn't display any content. The easiest way for me to resolve this is to hit the "Mark Unread to Here" button, but also just reloading the page tends to do it as well.

I have the no-ads upgrade but I still use uBlock. However I figured if it were an issue with ad-blockers reloading the page wouldn't fix things, and it would be on every thread every time.

What gives?

Still happening even without uBlock active. Any thoughts?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

FreshFeesh posted:

I have no idea but if you ctrl+shift+j (on firefox, I don't know the command for other browsers) when the error happens, the javascript error console pops up and you might be able to see an error there, maybe that's what preventing the page to fully build.

Also it could not only be an extension but also greasemonkey scripts and whatnot.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Slimy Hog posted:

Can't you just rough up one side of the magnet yourself with a rasp or sandpaper or something?

Most tiny magnets these days are non-metallic and don't take well to any sort of cutting or machining, and are too hard to really scratch well.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Speaking of forums weirdness, some of the animated smileys are not animating in my browser. I'm using Chrome 46.0.2490.86 m, and even if I open :mmmhmm: for instance in its own tab, it doesn't animate. As a counter-example, :supaburn: works fine. I can load them in IE and they work there, so it's clearly some issue with Chrome. I've disabled all of my extensions to see if one of them might be interfering, but it still doesn't work.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I had an eye doctor appointment today because the contacts I got at my previous appointment several months ago felt dry and itchy in my eyes. The new contacts I have feel a lot better and I could barely feel them when I first put them in. However now it's a few hours later and I'm feeling a little bit of itchiness again. It's nothing compared to my old contacts and is very tolerable, but I can definitely still feel them.

I'm relatively new to contacts, so I'm unsure how much I should/should not feel them. My doctor said, "you shouldn't feel contacts at all if they fit right." Is this true, and does this new set not fit me properly either? Or is that my doctor being optimistic and realistically I'll always feel them to a certain extent?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I don't feel my contacts at all unless I've been staring at screens for most of the day or I've been wearing them for around 15 or so hours.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

kedo posted:

I had an eye doctor appointment today because the contacts I got at my previous appointment several months ago felt dry and itchy in my eyes. The new contacts I have feel a lot better and I could barely feel them when I first put them in. However now it's a few hours later and I'm feeling a little bit of itchiness again. It's nothing compared to my old contacts and is very tolerable, but I can definitely still feel them.

I'm relatively new to contacts, so I'm unsure how much I should/should not feel them. My doctor said, "you shouldn't feel contacts at all if they fit right." Is this true, and does this new set not fit me properly either? Or is that my doctor being optimistic and realistically I'll always feel them to a certain extent?

Are you using soft contacts, RGPs or hybrids like synergeyes? In my experience softs shouldn't be felt at all so you likely might have just got a bad pair.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Namarrgon posted:

I don't feel my contacts at all unless I've been staring at screens for most of the day or I've been wearing them for around 15 or so hours.

Well I have been staring at a screen all day for work, so maybe that's it?

Ciaphas posted:

Are you using soft contacts, RGPs or hybrids like synergeyes? In my experience softs shouldn't be felt at all so you likely might have just got a bad pair.

Yep, they're soft. Silicone hydrogels. I have a week's worth of dailies to try, so we'll see how the next pair feels tomorrow.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

kedo posted:

Well I have been staring at a screen all day for work, so maybe that's it?

I can't wear my contacts at all while looking at computer screens, so perhaps.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I am a salaried employee and I have laptop I can bring anywhere and it is owned by the company. I do not have a company phone, but I just connected my work Outlook account to my personal android phone because it would be nice to check my work emails when I'm out and about. I had to agree to a bunch of scary stuff to link this up, which sounds normal based on what I searched, but does my company have access to anything I do on my phone or just the emails? Surely it's not setup so they can see my texts and stuff, right?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SwissCM posted:

Internal would be good, or you could embed it in some kind of plastic casing then glue plastic to plastic.

Hell, just glob it on with a bunch of JB weld; I'm sure that would be strong enough, and you could shape the surface as it's setting to be nice and flat.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

OctoberBlues posted:

I am a salaried employee and I have laptop I can bring anywhere and it is owned by the company. I do not have a company phone, but I just connected my work Outlook account to my personal android phone because it would be nice to check my work emails when I'm out and about. I had to agree to a bunch of scary stuff to link this up, which sounds normal based on what I searched, but does my company have access to anything I do on my phone or just the emails? Surely it's not setup so they can see my texts and stuff, right?

They can probably remotely wipe your phone if it's lost, but beyond that no.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Are we not considering the implications for the operation of the controller with a strong magnet next to its electronics? I'm no electrical engineer, but that sounds dicey.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lawnie posted:

Are we not considering the implications for the operation of the controller with a strong magnet next to its electronics? I'm no electrical engineer, but that sounds dicey.

As long as the various wire traces aren't moving relative to the magnet, no current spikes should be induced.

The rumble feature already uses electric motors with (relatively) big magnets in them, if magnets were that much of an issue you couldn't have that.

Generally, solid-state electronics will be fine, it's A) stuff that moves around quickly and B) mechanical hard drives, which use magnetic storage and so can easily be wiped by rogue magnetic fields. No controller has a magnetic hard drive in it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lawnie posted:

Magnets are only an issue with magnetic storage devices, and things that are actually controlled/read using magnets. Any normal controller for any console introduced since like 1984 doesn't rely on a magnetic effect sensor to detect button presses or stick movement, so they're totally fine.

Same reason why you can wave a magnet around a modern HDTV all you want, where it would gently caress up colors on an old standard def tube set - those things used magnets to control the picture generation, modern stuff doesn't.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

FreshFeesh posted:

Have you cleared your browser cache?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Lawnie posted:

I work at a food plant. We can average a little less than the stated amount on the package on a single run but not by much, and we don't actually 'use' that allowance because what we make has too much variability from piece to piece to rely on it so we end up, on average, above the declared weight. Long term my understanding is that we can't average below the declared weight but that's not really my area of expertise, I just know that when someone screws up and we end up underweight QA has some formula they plug all our measurements in to to tell us if we have to throw everything out or not.

Weights and measures does come in randomly and check us but as far as I know they haven't in a while.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there still an entry-level job advice thread somewhere on the forums? I looked though BFC and either I'm blind or its in another subforum.

electrohead
May 24, 2007

Everybody loves you.

SwissCM posted:

My roommate made a spice rack out of little rare earth magnets, little metal cans, and JB weld. One magnet detached out of the 3 per can x 30 some odd cans over the past several months. I don't know if it bonds to plastic at all or how well. If you do it internally or encase it it they won't be near as strong though as the force drops off substantially with even a small distance.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

SwissCM posted:

All the magnetic things sold at Japanese ¥100 shops use duct tape to attach magnets to all the little magnetic stick doodads they sell. I used to try to glue magnets to things like dry erase markers and they just don't stay attached. I used pretty much every type of glue/bond and all don't really work so well (The strongest glues get hard, then a single drop of the object jars things free.)

Once I switched to using duct tape, I have not had a magnet come loose, despite numerous drops. Of course choose your duct tape color carefully. I use the Home Depot neon color Duck Tape to make it look less like I am using duct tape.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 25, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

OctoberBlues posted:

Like stubblyhead said, they have the power to remote wipe your phone.

Personally, I'd remove the email account. Some places have it as policy that they do a remote wipe when you leave the company, so say goodbye to all your stored texts, phone calls, contacts, etc...

If they REQUIRE you have work email on your phone, get them to pony up for a phone for you to use. If you simply want it yourself, my advice is to get an app like Nine or Touchdown that "sandboxes" the Exchange account into its own separate little "area" of the phone, so any remote wipe command will only apply to the account info in the app and won't affect the rest of your phone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Like stubblyhead said, they have the power to remote wipe your phone.

Well, maybe, depending on the setup. If you had to install some sort of special app for it, then yeah, it might be able to do things. If you're on Android, find the app in Settings -> Apps and check its permissions.

But if all you had to do was put your imap or gmail credentials into a regular mail app, then your company can't do jack squat to your phone. At work we just use Gmail for Business or whatever it's called, so I was up and running in the default app in about thirty seconds. The worst the company can do to my phone if I leave is cut off the address, which would happen anyway.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
It still makes me a little uncomfortable to allow access to anything on my personal phone even though they say it's not a privacy concern, so I just made a bookmark to Outlook express in my browser and check it from there. There's no notifications, but I check it enough during the day where it doesn't matter. The interface sucks for heavy emailing but for just firing off replies it's good enough for me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kings Of Calabria posted:

It still makes me a little uncomfortable to allow access to anything on my personal phone even though they say it's not a privacy concern, so I just made a bookmark to Outlook express in my browser and check it from there. There's no notifications, but I check it enough during the day where it doesn't matter. The interface sucks for heavy emailing but for just firing off replies it's good enough for me.

There are applications that can separate off the workplace's control to just the email or whatever. One of them is TouchDown for Android, which looks pretty old and janky, but safely isolates you from work being able to wipe all your personal stuff: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nitrodesk.droid20.nitroid&hl=en

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kedo posted:

My doctor said, "you shouldn't feel contacts at all if they fit right." Is this true

You are asking a comedy forum for medical advice. If you don't trust your doctor you need to find another one.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I'm about ready to submit my UC (University of California) transfer application, and I've had my Personal Statements reviewed by professors. However, I'd still appreciate another second opinion on my Personal Statements but my campus will be closed the rest of the week for Thanksgiving. Are there any online resources to have college personal statements reviewed? I'm probably going to submit the application Friday or Saturday.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Why not ask someone you know and trust locally?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

johnny sack posted:

Why not ask someone you know and trust locally?
I am doing so, people I know can obviously understand the context of my personal statements better than strangers in most cases. I was just curious.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

I'm about ready to submit my UC (University of California) transfer application, and I've had my Personal Statements reviewed by professors. However, I'd still appreciate another second opinion on my Personal Statements but my campus will be closed the rest of the week for Thanksgiving. Are there any online resources to have college personal statements reviewed? I'm probably going to submit the application Friday or Saturday.

Yeah, places like InstaEDU and Tutor.com will do this. I know that InstaEDU has a 2 hour free trial spread across four days, a proofread like that shouldn't take any more than 30 minutes.

You can also look in the grad school thread in the academics forum, or BFC thread on resume stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's the difference between racism and ethnocentrism? Is it just the balance of power?