Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Will japan finally be able to amphibiously assault in hoi4? The world wonders. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm playing a PBEM of DC and one frame per week is just fine!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

To be clear, I am legit excited for DC:B, the poor marketing for it makes me sad. But I will feel super smug ifwhen HoI turns out awesome and I look down from my throne made of money on the grog subset who got really angry about lack of counters ruining the game.

I thought you'd decided to include a counters option afterall?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Double post because gently caress it, DC:B is now available on Matrix for £34.99

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/558/details/Decisive.Campaigns:.Barbarossa

E: except it doesn't show up in your cart so you can't buy it :eng99:

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 24, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Since the rest of the DC series is on Steam, is there any hint that there will be a concurrent release there as well?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I just hope he does the same thing for the soviets. Saying "oh your playing as stalin so the russians don't get all the fun options" seems like a real cop out and I hope it was just as excuse as he didn't have time to do both sides and he will get around to giving some love to the soviets for a paid expansion.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dtkozl posted:

I just hope he does the same thing for the soviets. Saying "oh your playing as stalin so the russians don't get all the fun options" seems like a real cop out and I hope it was just as excuse as he didn't have time to do both sides and he will get around to giving some love to the soviets for a paid expansion.

The Soviets are a little light but they're still a ton of fun.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Have no fear I'll buy the game same as the rest of you degenerates.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Drone posted:

Since the rest of the DC series is on Steam, is there any hint that there will be a concurrent release there as well?

Matrix said on the forums that it won't be on Steam until later.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Presumably you'll get a steam key if you buy on Matrix though, so best of both world really? Or was that just a legacy thing for when they moved old games to steam and new ones you have to buy on steam if you want it on steam?

Also Ian post:

Posted 1 hour 20mins ago posted:

Guys we're having a small technical glitch. It worked in $ but not other currencies. We're working on it now and will have it back up ASAP. We've turned off the game till its fixed to avoid confusion.

Thanks for your patience & sorry for the delay.

You'll have to wait a few more minutes to get the game!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Well I just bought it, anyone interested in starting up another PBEM now that there won't be compatibility breaks every other week?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Will DC:B run faster than 15 fps? The world wonders.
Top marks for making it a historical reference.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yup, just got it too, works in £ now anyway. I'd be up for a PBEM, total beginner in DC mechanics though, never played more than 1 run of Case White.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Pharnakes posted:

I thought you'd decided to include a counters option afterall?

There's a option to have NATO symbols in the division designer and onmap unit card instead of our custom icons, but it's in addition to the model/"sprite", not instead of it. There's no option to have just counters.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Darkrenown posted:

There's a option to have NATO symbols in the division designer and onmap unit card instead of our custom icons, but it's in addition to the model/"sprite", not instead of it. There's no option to have just counters.

I'm not much of a grog and I think your sprites look dumb :shrug:, give me counters, hell, charge me $2 for counters DLC, I don't care.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I played DC:Barbarossa for a couple of hours and it seems pretty solid. I like how streamlined it is - all artillery, air forces, engineers and other miscellaneous crap is modeled strictly off-map, so you only need to move division sized combat units on the map. Still takes a long time to play, I only completed two actual turns.

The decision/personal relationship side show is really amusing too. The german train guy loves me because I've been pushing hard for all logistics related decisions. I can only hope that it doesn't get too repetitive when you replay the game.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Yeah, that's how a sane person expresses an opinion about counters. It's a-OK to not like the models. What I am talking about is the people who make a full page rant about how the game is ruined forever multiple times per day.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I'm not much of a grog and I think your sprites look dumb :shrug:, give me counters, hell, charge me $2 for counters DLC, I don't care.

Yeah, I think a counters DLC is a good compromise. It'll take some extra effort on Paradox's behalf and those of us who (have taste and distinction) care can opt in.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Alchenar posted:

The USP for Flashpoint is that turns are asymmetric as well as the forces - you get to issue orders every x minutes based on your command and control level, so a NATO commander can typically dance about the battlefield a bit more whereas the USSR commander usually has to make a plan and stick to it.

That's the idea, but I don't find myself doing much dancing at all as NATO due to the order delay system. Doesn't matter if I get to input orders 3 times within 30 minutes, if it still takes my guys 30 minutes to execute. The exception being artillery, which can react nearly instantly as long as you can issue new orders and as artillery orders don't take more than a couple of minutes to play out, they can be a lot more reactive than any ground push. On paper that's a big advantage to NATO but as the Soviets usually have more guns it's not that much of an advantage (might be a disadvantage if it means they are more easily triangulated for counter-barrage fire, but I haven't figured that system out yet).

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oof, $74 for DC. Maybe not right now.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Alikchi and uPen lets resume once I buy and install now that games won't keep getting bricked.

Game is real good, y'all.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, that's how a sane person expresses an opinion about counters. It's a-OK to not like the models. What I am talking about is the people who make a full page rant about how the game is ruined forever multiple times per day.

I stopped caring entirely about counters/sprites issues once I saw a video of the game in motion, and realized that at the zoom level I usually played the previous titles I don't even see the sprites. I'm sure there'll be a mod that replaces the sprites with 3D counters in short order, anyway.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pharnakes posted:

Yup, just got it too, works in £ now anyway. I'd be up for a PBEM, total beginner in DC mechanics though, never played more than 1 run of Case White.

Which side would you like to play if you don't mind playing someone with more experience? I'm comfortable with the Germans or Soviets.

Chump Farts posted:

Alikchi and uPen lets resume once I buy and install now that games won't keep getting bricked.

Game is real good, y'all.

Let me know when you're up and running, this is a great PBEM game.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'd probably prefer to pay Germans, I could do with a day or two to experiment against the AI a little if that's allright.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

We should have a DC: B goon tournament

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is there any way in Flashpoint campaigns: red storm to make your units hold fire until within a certain range/more likely to hit? Had 6 Avengers just exhaust their missiles at a Hind that was 5km out, so no hit chance. Same with Bradleys firing TOW's from 4+km.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

I'm set up, I'm praying for once that updates aren't too frequent, let me know sides and preferences, dudes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Threw up a pbem++ game, me as soviets, default settings with Geneva off.

e: Oh yeah, password is goon

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

I'm drinking tonight so I don't know if I'll do the opening turn, but good lord I'm happy that PBEM++ is up and running for this now.

Edit: that said, for new buyers, this game isn't War in the East and Germany isn't going to pocket Lvov in one loving turn, so it probably isn't as big a deal at all as before.

Game owns and gives Russia actual agency while making delays for Germany interesting and logical. Buy this game. Buy it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What a time for my PC to be broken :(

What's the time scale on the game like? Weekly turns up to Q1 1942?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

4 days as far as I got (September at best due to winning single player or having MP update build and brick poo poo).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 22, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Chump Farts posted:

I'm drinking tonight so I don't know if I'll do the opening turn, but good lord I'm happy that PBEM++ is up and running for this now.

Edit: that said, for new buyers, this game isn't War in the East and Germany isn't going to pocket Lvov in one loving turn, so it probably isn't as big a deal at all as before.

Game owns and gives Russia actual agency while making delays for Germany interesting and logical. Buy this game. Buy it.

There is a release day update to download but iirc it only fixes some AI stuff. I've got it so the game might yell at you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

4 day turns from June 22 to late January. Scale is divisional with air abstracted so unlike WtP or Case Blue you aren't ordering air/artillery strikes, just pushing Divisional chits around. The focus of the game is the asymmetrical command system rather than tactical control.

On the German side you're running OKH. Every turn you get a number of decisions (as few as ~3 on a slow turn, as many as 10 on a faster one.) Decisions cost PP and your relationship with the other commanders influences the costs. Every deciscion usually involves spending PP to make a choice, if you choose a thing a commander likes your relations go up, if they dislike it (allocating trucks to AGC at the expense of other theaters for example) will cause relations to degrade. High relations opens up new options and strategies like allowing you to assign theater assets / have more autonomy with panzer groups. You also use PP to do play cards.

On the Soviet side your commanders only have 2 traits, Initiative and Threat. Higher initiative commanders are more likely to activate armies so you can actually fight a war. High initiative (as in commanders with a positive number) also generates threat. Threat comes from commanders, decisions or losing territory. If threat becomes too high Stalin will have a paranoid attack, 0 out your PP, ban you from using cards and usually execute several commanders. So you need to balance defending territory while curating your commanders so there's at least a handful of competent people. You can also send out Zhukov to personally oversee a front/army to unlock cards/increase performance or send Khrushchev to reign in threatening commanders/take care of 'problems.'

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goodness gracious that game sounds pretty fun.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

Scale is divisional with air abstracted so unlike WtP or Case Blue you aren't ordering air/artillery strikes, just pushing Divisional chits around. The focus of the game is the asymmetrical command system rather than tactical control.

I have the biggest grogboner right now.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

It is really cool when you plan a good fortification of a city when Germany is already deployed and then Stalin shits himself and you can't lay the cards.

Also when he kills your commanders that have had so many speech cards played on them.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
While for a game that sounds fine so long as it is fun but I can't think in real of of a commander he had shot for being successful once the war actually started.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

dtkozl posted:

While for a game that sounds fine so long as it is fun but I can't think in real of of a commander he had shot for being successful once the war actually started.

They can have high activation rates and still be in a really lovely position with lovely results. You can break encirclements with 40 AP armies in Ukraine and then have 100 AP armies barely lumber into trenches near Minsk or Smolensk.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dtkozl posted:

It's unfortunately random rather than based on whoever lost whatever city started the fit. I've had him execute Budyonny so he's not all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

uPen posted:

It's unfortunately random rather than based on whoever lost whatever city started the fit. I've had him execute Budyonny so he's not all bad.

It really is too bad he didn't retire. He always seemed like one of those great russian characters but then you think "oh his bungling meant thousands of people died needlessly" it becomes a lot less romantic. At least he still has his own horse breed.