Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

You mean you don't?

I had to stop. Hordes of beautiful women swarmed me every time I was just trying to enjoy a nice Chianti with my Benz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Say Nothing posted:

panarama-orama.

This is just a still from hemlock grove

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

snergle posted:

This is just a still from hemlock grove

Or, failing that, 'The Thing'.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Oh man. That CG is not so good. :(

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Inzombiac posted:

Yes Americans have kettles, you stupid potato.

How else would we make french press coffee?

this

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

FutonForensic posted:

Oh man. That CG is not so good. :(

They originally went with practical effects that looked pretty great, then at the last minute the order from up on high was sent to use lovely CGI exclusively.

https://vimeo.com/97585925

It's a sad thing, because well-done practical effects don't age half as quickly as CGI.

SpaceOrphan
Jan 27, 2014

This town is full of monsters!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

RillAkBea posted:

That just makes me think of a suburban housewife board game. "You find a spot on the bathroom mirror. Miss a turn while you clean the entire bathroom." "The Joneses have bought a new lamp. Lose $200 to buy a slightly fancier one."

"You've landed on 'Random Affair'! Roll 1 through 4 for Pool Boy, 5 through 8 for Cable Technician, or 9 through 12 for Pizza Delivery Guy"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Screaming Idiot posted:

LOOK, I HAVE A JOB TO DO. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY OTHER PLACES ON THE DISC NEED MY SERVICES? THERE IS A PLAGUE IN KLATCH TO WHICH I MUST ATTEND, AS WELL AS AT LEAST ONE GOOD CURRY RESTAURANT.

Bless you :allears:.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

In this article, there's another pic from his Facebook page of him in the trunk of a different car:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-34897404

Also, the video in this article had me cracking up even more because she was pronouncing it just how I'd expect someone with an accent would pronounce "gently caress dat bitch"

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Breetai posted:

They originally went with practical effects that looked pretty great, then at the last minute the order from up on high was sent to use lovely CGI exclusively.

It's a sad thing, because well-done practical effects don't age half as quickly as CGI.

This video is good. Only 5 minutes long, and gives a nice quick overview of why studios use CGI over practical effects, even though most people prefer the latter.

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

The Nards Pan posted:

I had to stop. Hordes of beautiful women swarmed me every time I was just trying to enjoy a nice Chianti with my Benz.

I see what happened here but I will not partake in it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Breetai posted:

Back when I studied model making in college and read Cinefex and such, most of the stuff that one thought was CG was actually done with practicals (90's). Such as the Pod Race viewer stands in Star Wars Episode 1 being done using colored Q-tips and a fan. We experimented with various ways to mess with chemicals, resins, hardeners, creating our own thermo-forming methods, innovative painting methods, etc. We tried to achieve realism whether it was a prototype product, or a movie model. We would make cell phones that you would believe were real even though they were hand made from raw materials.

Then "Everything CG all the time" came along.

Now it has become so overused that I'd rather see stop-mo or go-mo than the trash we're seeing. Everything is digital. Even the shows that you watch every day that could have the second unit spend a day and shoot establishing shots. Then you can pretend you're in the location. Instead, they use digital backlots because they're lazy and it's more expensive. Establish. Then shoot on a soundstage. You don't have to CG everything.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The little dog on the couch is what makes it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Is that David Mitchell Nick Offerman?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is that David Mitchell Nick Offerman?

Yes, with his wife Megan Mullally.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In the future head loss isn't a big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFBvunP4bps

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Ragequit posted:

Yes, with his wife Megan Mullally.

I think her name is Tammy

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Nuclear War posted:

I think her name is Tammy

Tammy 2

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

mostlygray posted:

Now it has become so overused that I'd rather see stop-mo or go-mo than the trash we're seeing. Everything is digital. Even the shows that you watch every day that could have the second unit spend a day and shoot establishing shots. Then you can pretend you're in the location. Instead, they use digital backlots because they're lazy and it's more expensive. Establish. Then shoot on a soundstage. You don't have to CG everything.

I think my biggest issue with existing CGI is that it seems so lazy compared to stuff like Terminator 2, Jurassic Park or even the first Matrix. Those movies for the most part put a lot of work into making things look as realistic as possible so things didn't look out of place and blended well. Now whenever I see any movies or previews that mix real with CGI, the CGI stands out like a sore thumb - plenty of movies are guilty (the last 2 Terminator movies, Mummy movies, 2011 Thing) and anything that's supposed to look "human" looks like it was rendered on the Doom 3 game engine, and movement is wonky as hell unless mo-cap is being used extensively. I really do wish the 2011 Thing would have used a combination of both, when I watched their special on the practical effects that were all ruined with terrible CGI, all of the puppetry was way way better and freakier.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'll never let her make me coffee.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

RFC2324 posted:

I'll never let her make me coffee.

It's okay, she's apparently never finished making any.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Ozz81 posted:

I think my biggest issue with existing CGI is that it seems so lazy compared to stuff like Terminator 2, Jurassic Park or even the first Matrix. Those movies for the most part put a lot of work into making things look as realistic as possible so things didn't look out of place and blended well. Now whenever I see any movies or previews that mix real with CGI, the CGI stands out like a sore thumb - plenty of movies are guilty (the last 2 Terminator movies, Mummy movies, 2011 Thing) and anything that's supposed to look "human" looks like it was rendered on the Doom 3 game engine, and movement is wonky as hell unless mo-cap is being used extensively. I really do wish the 2011 Thing would have used a combination of both, when I watched their special on the practical effects that were all ruined with terrible CGI, all of the puppetry was way way better and freakier.

That's why Mad Max was so loving good. They used real poo poo as much as possible, and CGI as the finishing touches. And good god, did it pay off handsomely.

I think (hope) that in the future more studios take that approach, because the alternative is the uncanny valley dwarves in The Hobbit, and I would rather drown.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

porkswordonboard posted:

That's why Mad Max was so loving good. They used real poo poo as much as possible, and CGI as the finishing touches. And good god, did it pay off handsomely.

I think (hope) that in the future more studios take that approach, because the alternative is the uncanny valley dwarves in The Hobbit, and I would rather drown.

In The Hobbit they actually used real scale doubles where possible.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Nov 25, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You say that, but they also were originally going to use badass practical effects for the orcs before dropping everything and using CG instead after having a fully working costume for the main one.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Choco1980 posted:

You say that, but they also were originally going to use badass practical effects for the orcs before dropping everything and using CG instead after having a fully working costume for the main one.

Yeah, that was a shame.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

And disappointing considering the time and money sunk into the Hobbit trilogy overall. Guess most of that went towards people using clone stamp in Photoshop - even comparing the original LOTR to the Hobbit series is like night and day. Watching them now, it's like the Hobbit was the first trilogy with hokey "new" effects, and LOTR was after years of CGI and effects development/maturity making visuals better.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Benedict Cumberdragon was pretty sweet

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Ozz81 posted:

And disappointing considering the time and money sunk into the Hobbit trilogy overall. Guess most of that went towards people using clone stamp in Photoshop - even comparing the original LOTR to the Hobbit series is like night and day. Watching them now, it's like the Hobbit was the first trilogy with hokey "new" effects, and LOTR was after years of CGI and effects development/maturity making visuals better.

There was an article that just came out that explains that the Hobbit was pretty much done overnight without any planning because of Guillermo del Toro dropping out last minute, and Peter Jackson deciding to throw all his previz out. The script wasn't even finished when they started shooting and a lot hadn't been storyboarded, which is a stark contrast to LotR.

When you read about the behind the scenes, you realize that any movie where they put years of thought and a lot of money into effects, even CG, will look pretty good and you won't even realize a lot of instances where it's being used. But when it's being used as a quick fill in for a cheaper production, it becomes really lovely and noticeable. This was true when practical effects were the main thing, but they were so expensive and took so much time, that they usually just weren't used.

Poor Miserable Gurgi has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Nov 25, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:3:

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

This is the type of relationship to which us mere mortals can only dream.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Benedict Cumberdragon was pretty sweet

Yes, but an army of cartoon goblins chasing a group of cartoon dwarves through a toy model of a cave city was not.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Sort of like The Thing prequel: they had a lot of practical effects in the can, but they looked like poo poo.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

Sort of like The Thing prequel: they had a lot of practical effects in the can, but they looked like poo poo.

They didn't exactly have Stan Winston then did they?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MisterBibs posted:

No they didn't. In fact, almost every shot had a full puppet that was then overlayed in CG to make it look "more videogamey".
Phone posting so I don't have the link but there is a 15 behind-the-scenes where the prop makers show their process and talk about control being taken away from them.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

No they didn't. In fact, almost every shot had a full puppet that was then overlayed in CG to make it look "more videogamey".
Phone posting so I don't have the link but there is a 15 behind-the-scenes where the prop makers show their process and talk about control being taken away from them.

I saw it too, and iirc they actually showed bits and pieces of the practical work. Being practical effects, they looked like poo poo for something that, by definition, needs to look like it can be anything at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MisterBibs posted:

I saw it too, and iirc they actually showed bits and pieces of the practical work. Being practical effects, they looked like poo poo for something that, by definition, needs to look like it can be anything at any point.

I must have watched a different video.

• Locked thread