Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah man its like that girl may have weighed 250 lbs but its the same as doing two chicks at the same time

Holy poo poo my swole as gently caress brothers slam whale now makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

School my jabroni rear end on high bar vs low bar squat

El Duderino
Mar 28, 2003

If you're not into that whole brevity thing..

FogHelmut posted:

Follow your heart.

Seriously though I have no clue... I would use whatever position feels more comfortable and still let's you keep good form when you start getting up there in weight.

For me even when weak low bar helped me from tipping forward and getting on my toes instead of heels

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Ran a 'Turkey Trot' this morning, 6K. Now I'm sitting on the couch waiting for football to come on while the girlfriend cooks a turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

High bar is better for building your quads, but both types of squats are good and they are pretty synergistic (I.e. working one will help improve the other)

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

FogHelmut posted:

Go find a PDF of Starting Strength, it does a good detailed breakdown of it

TLDR it puts the line of force through a different part of your body forcing different muscles

IME you can lift more weight with low bar once you get used to it

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FogHelmut posted:

Low bar if you plan to compete, high bar otherwise.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Do both but focus on high bar. Better yet, front squat.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Do both but focus on high bar. Better yet, front squat.

Sorry, gotta disagree. I've had two surgeries on my left knee (thank you, decade of tennis and soccer!) and the only non-painful squat is the low bar.

Front squat feels like my kneecap is about to blow off and paint the wall.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
*adjust as needed if crippled

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Decided to try out some hook grip deads and I have just 1 question: How long until I get the feeling back in my thumbs?

eta: While it did hurt my thumbs holy poo poo it's a solid grip. Felt like nothing could have made me drop that bar (except for my thumbs falling off)

Garrand fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 26, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
just get stronger grip, you rank rear end limp wristed weakling son of a bitch

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Adidas adipower squat shoes are on sale for amazon's black friday with code 30BLACKFRI, I think they came out to 80 dollas. GET BIG

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Nearly bought some on rogue fitness for more, thanks for the heads up.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Hollis Brown posted:

Adidas adipower squat shoes are on sale for amazon's black friday with code 30BLACKFRI, I think they came out to 80 dollas. GET BIG

What advantage do they have over an old pair of flat sole Converse?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Thicker heel which should let you push off them better.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

notZaar posted:

What advantage do they have over an old pair of flat sole Converse?

The raised heel makes it easier to achieve proper depth, similar to putting your heel on a small plate. I haven't had them before but I'm going to try and see.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Hollis Brown posted:

The raised heel makes it easier to achieve proper depth, similar to putting your heel on a small plate. I haven't had them before but I'm going to try and see.

For narrower stance squats. Most people won't like them for low bar squatting. But once you squat in them you won't want to low bar squat. They're a lot more supportive.

Also thanks a lot. Wife and I got a pair. Needed an upgrade from the pair I had.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I've never done anything but low bar squatting, and the shoes still helped me a lot. Not because of the raised heel, but because it had a wider solid base so I felt way more stable compared to squatting with converses.

I like low bar squats because they train you to assume the perfect making GBS threads stance. Now I can take a dump without fear of falling into a pool of crap when I visit countries with makeshift holes for toilets.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

UnfurledSails posted:

I like low bar squats because they train you to assume the perfect making GBS threads stance. Now I can take a dump without fear of falling into a pool of crap when I visit countries with makeshift holes for toilets.

this

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I squat barefoot, like God intented us to. Go caveman or go home.

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010
Slowly finding out that shoes matter, even in the early stages.

One month in, realised that every time I'd 'tweaked' my back squatting or had trouble with form I'd been wearing my fairly nice Asics trainers.

My best days coincided with the days I'd been wearing my cheap worn out old thin sole Airwalks, the right one of which has the sole flopping off.

You will know me in the gym by the sound. Flop, flop, flop, flop...

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
Einstein: E=mc²
Bodybuilder: LIGHTWEIGHT BABY!!!!

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
Had a weird Charlie horse feeling in my lower quad/upper knee on squats last week. Probably going to skip squats this week because I felt it on deadlifts Tuesday. Getting old sucks and kills gains

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
what the gently caress is a Charlie Horse Feeling

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Pretty much my reaction. The part of the quad that attaches to my inner knee started to spasm like a Charlie horse.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sounds like your ligaments protesting

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Rip in pieces

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Foam roll your quads

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How do I foam roll my traps

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
very carefully

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

FogHelmut posted:

How do I foam roll my traps

Use a lacrosse ball.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Today's anytime fitness crowd: three age 60+ dudes killing it, buff guy doing OHP in a polo shirt and dress pants, bodybuilder guy who came up to me to chat steroids (first time that's happened), and a rail thin girl leg pressing like triple her weight. Plus 1000 people doing cardio. Wild stuff.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Put 305 over my head today

https://www.instagram.com/p/-o1ll5pQfN/?taken-by=bradfordmills

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Looks like you put your head under it

But for real that is pretty impressive

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

a rail thin girl leg pressing like triple her weight.

Though it doesn't scale upward to world records, I'm always impressed by girl's power to weight ratio esp. compared to untrained guys

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

UnfurledSails posted:

I've never done anything but low bar squatting, and the shoes still helped me a lot. Not because of the raised heel, but because it had a wider solid base so I felt way more stable compared to squatting with converses.

Just practiced this high level skill at the ATL airport.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Thanks for all the shoulder tips everyone, now working them more frequently with some additional hypertrophy work.

Also, wasn't really paying attention to what I was eating yesterday, and upon calculating, probably only had 1,200 calories or so. As a result my lifts suck today.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edit: This was meant for the fit women thread, but I'll leave it here anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Very yes.

• Locked thread