Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

cheetah7071 posted:

Make Octopode Crushers be accompanied by packs of octobees.

octoshrikes

octoliches

Octopobees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Octopologists

They get Translocation magic.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

PleasingFungus posted:

the developer responsible for adding octopode crushers has wanted to remove them for some time. his main argument is that their key unique trait, the player-repositioning tentacle toss, is (a) very complicated and (b) rarely accomplishes that much in practice. iirc. E: iron giants still do this so: ???

(he's the same guy who added & removed jump attack.)

I'm going to ask around and try to figure out what's actually going on here.

technically, they removed the only kind of octopode that spawns outside gimmick entry vaults.

For the record I'm still incredibly angry that jump got removed. poo poo was dope.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

cheetah7071 posted:

Octocrabs, which breath octoclouds

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
I've been sitting on that image for a literal year now. you people used to be obsessed with crabs, but the moment I found that picture...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FR: A unique named the King Crab, who is a disciple of Qazlal and wears the +0 Crab Crown {rCloud}

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

cheetah7071 posted:

FR: A unique named the King Crab, who is a disciple of Qazlal and wears the +0 Crab Crown {rCloud}

FR: Replace King Crab with with Iron Chef, who boasts about having stolen the Crab Crown and then cooked the King Crab in his own clouds. Also, increases the amount if big Iron monsters in the dungeon, making things even more balanced.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

man fuuuck spark wasps

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

*King Krab, Krab Krown

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/FacelessVoid/morgue-FacelessVoid-20151124-055422.txt

I had no rMut this game but I found about 9 cure mutation pots which got me through most of extended. I thought I could clear the last two hell branches because I basically tabbed through the other two. Nope.

:smithicide:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FacelessVoid posted:

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/FacelessVoid/morgue-FacelessVoid-20151124-055422.txt

I had no rMut this game but I found about 9 cure mutation pots which got me through most of extended. I thought I could clear the last two hell branches because I basically tabbed through the other two. Nope.

:smithicide:

Wow, mutation-berserked & teleported into a pack of hellions and brimstone fiends. That's... tough.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

OK, apparently the long-standing concern was that tentacle throw didn't work very well without monsters around. another dev was simultaneously working on the iron giant concept, and so they ended up being merged; the monster is a giant so that it can have a band of giants pals to throw the player toward. there isn't really any obvious thematically compatible Depths-appropriate monster for octopodes to band with. (water elementals don't quite cut it!)

it's a loss to flavour, but I can understand why the decision was made.

Why not just have them show up with high tier packs of merfolks? Then you can get some javelins out of depths more reliably as well.

Not like other lair branches don't have enemies show up in depths anyways.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Almost lost as a SpEn by having a Pan Lord spawn in my face twice in a row, first time I banished it with damnation card, second time I had to run and he immediately does chain lightning followed by glaciate shortly after, I tanked the glaciate with shadow form:

code:
 92323 | Depths:4 | Noticed Ninwugog the pandemonium lord
 92323 | Depths:4 | Banished Ninwugog the pandemonium lord
 92844 | D:3      | Noticed Wyulitevi the pandemonium lord
 92849 | D:3      | HP: 2/136 [Wyulitevi the pandemonium lord/great icy blast (37)]
 92946 | D:$      | Escaped with the Orb!
:gonk:

Edit: I think he had digging, chain lightning, glaciate and summon greater demon, don't even remember the last time I had to deal with such a nasty spell set

apple fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 24, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Now that tournament is over, I have a new entertainment for you all.

In the Game Room, I am now running a Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup themed game of Mafia. Lords of Hell facing off against Adventurers seeking the Orb of Zot.

Don't know what Mafia is? A team of "scum" players must conspire together to defeat the town. To fight back, every day the town can select a player they believe to be scum and execute them. Every night, the scum can kill a player. The scum know who each other are, but the town do not know anyone's identity. Never played before? You're welcome to come join regardless!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

cheetah7071 posted:

Make Octopode Crushers be accompanied by packs of octobees.

octoshrikes

octoliches

cheetah7071 posted:

Octocrabs, which breath octoclouds

cheetah7071 posted:

cheetah7071 posted:

*King Krab, Krab Krown

PF why isn't this guy a dev yet.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

PleasingFungus posted:

I've been sitting on that image for a literal year now. you people used to be obsessed with crabs, but the moment I found that picture...

I'm still pretty obsessed with crabs and still want all dragons replaced with crabs.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I'm still pretty obsessed with crabs and still want all dragons replaced with crabs.

Crawl 0.18: Mighty Dicktron gave everyone crabs.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm super into the Crab of Hell y'all.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
We've got a giant slug that ate a wizard and wears his hat.

We need a crab unique now. Maybe he's a fighter that is constantly circling around the player while pinching and jabbing. Think about it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
A crab necromancer that summons Spectral Crabs. If you kill it, it rises from the grave as a Crab Lich and starts summoning those Ghost Crab things instead

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Did acquirement get more common in the last year or am I incredibly lucky for having 10 of the things after an hour or two of Pan diving.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

uPen posted:

Did acquirement get more common in the last year or am I incredibly lucky for having 10 of the things after an hour or two of Pan diving.

I don't think acquirement got more common, probably just a combination of lucky rolls and a lot of Pan scumming. Are you clearing entire floors, or just diving, because if you're clearing entire Pan floors it seems like a lot, but not super surprising.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I spent some time clearing floors for exp and then realized that the rest of the endgame was going to be this and decided I'd rather just get the runes so I can stop playing and proceeded to just leave floors asap.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

uPen posted:

I spent some time clearing floors for exp and then realized that the rest of the endgame was going to be this and decided I'd rather just get the runes so I can stop playing and proceeded to just leave floors asap.

This is basically pan.txt to be honest

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

odiv posted:

It looks like someone is logging on to underused servers with others' usernames and breaking their streaks?

That's pretty stupid.

Had this done to me after I left my tournament 4-streak hanging. Someone created a HuFi and then quit the game. Any way to get this fixed? I was planning to eventually try for 5.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
God, doing that in a loving dungeon crawler with tile graphics is like... the saddest possible thing I can imagine someone doing in video games and really bumming me out.

apple
May 18, 2003

Why not just create your account on every crawl server? It's not foolproof but short of your password being figured out or a new server popping up you should be safe.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

apple posted:

Why not just create your account on every crawl server? It's not foolproof but short of your password being figured out or a new server popping up you should be safe.

That is a lot of extra effort for people to just not get hosed over. Especially because it then means you've gotta be aware of every new server that opens, as it opens. If that is the solution, then they might as well just centralize logins somewhere rather than putting that onus on the player. Otherwise, there needs to be oversight for when these situations arise if there is no way to handle it on the code end of things (which is honestly more likely a logistics and money issue than a true programming issue).

If you can track all those servers for the purposes of streak breaking, you can implement some system to keep people getting screwed by trolls. Admittedly, this puts people on the honor system that they won't play on a bunch of different servers one time each in an effort to keep the streak going and then disavow any servers where their account loses, but they can only do that once anyway and seem far less likely than someone creating an account and quitting a game 2 seconds in just to screw someone.

apple
May 18, 2003

I know it sucks, but that's what I would do if I cared about streaks :v:

I do hope they work on a better login system.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

They aren't currently accepting new servers until that problem is dealt with, at least.

For streak purposes you could say that only streaks on the same server are meaningful. But you do need other servers to count for stats in general otherwise people would be screwed when they/servers move or their server dies.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I wasn't even aware of CWS until I saw that happen. I guess I should reg my name on all the servers and hope it isn't already taken.

(If I ran a server I'd probably consider griefing whoever is doing that)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

apple posted:

I know it sucks, but that's what I would do if I cared about streaks :v:

I do hope they work on a better login system.

I would probably do that to if I played online, were good at crawl, and cared about streaks. Regardless, it should be regarded, at best, as a temporary workaround. It is not a solution in any sense.

If they're working on a better system to resolve it, then great. I know the last time it happened they worked with people to get it straightened out (even if it took awhile). Maybe they'll still do so.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

LOL at all the streak people, I actually wouldn't mind if someone broke my streak of dead XL5 DECjs...

But seriously, how sad do you have to be to go to the effort just to break someone's streak.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So, tournament's over, did any goons win/standout? I read the results blog post but have no idea if they post in this thread or not. Who was the highest scoring goon/clan?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

So, tournament's over, did any goons win/standout? I read the results blog post but have no idea if they post in this thread or not. Who was the highest scoring goon/clan?

I was on the 3rd-place clan. My first terrible week got avenged with 5 wins in the next 7 games, including 3 nemelex choices and not using any Trog. Really should have been a 5-streak. Probably somebody I don't recognize placed higher than my 54th.

e: Haifisch's team at #30 was probably the highest all-SA team?

rchandra fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 25, 2015

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

rchandra posted:

Despite our procrastination, Better Late Than Nessos clocked in at #25. We also managed to be the third clan to grab all the uniques!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

rchandra posted:

I was on the 3rd-place clan. My first terrible week got avenged with 5 wins in the next 7 games, including 3 nemelex choices and not using any Trog. Really should have been a 5-streak. Probably somebody I don't recognize placed higher than my 54th.

Congratz! I did well at first, but then completely hit a brick wall in terms of success and effort, so I'll just imagine that I effectively stopped playing when I was 3-8.

Also, I believe the highest all-SA team was In Zot Corn Eats You, unless I'm forgetting somebody who's higher.

E:Nevermind Dead was #24th, by the way.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm having some real power problems with my GrEE. I've cleared Lair and gone down to D:15, but the strongest attack spells I have are Stone Arrow and LRD. The few books I've found have had nothing useful. I can't dive Orc:4 and hope for a book shop because Saint Roka is guarding basically all 3 down stairs, and Elf:1 is still too scary given my gear. I've already been Abyssed once, but found a very lucky exit right away. I'm giving Swamp a go for now, but it's slow with Stone Arrow. I can memorize Ignite Poison, though. Is that still a good spell to use for Snake? I haven't tried that in a very long time. Any tips on skilling or where to go?

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Fhqwhgads/Fhqwhgads.txt

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I got the high score for OgCk. :feelsgood:

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm having some real power problems with my GrEE. I've cleared Lair and gone down to D:15, but the strongest attack spells I have are Stone Arrow and LRD. The few books I've found have had nothing useful. I can't dive Orc:4 and hope for a book shop because Saint Roka is guarding basically all 3 down stairs, and Elf:1 is still too scary given my gear. I've already been Abyssed once, but found a very lucky exit right away. I'm giving Swamp a go for now, but it's slow with Stone Arrow. I can memorize Ignite Poison, though. Is that still a good spell to use for Snake? I haven't tried that in a very long time. Any tips on skilling or where to go?

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Fhqwhgads/Fhqwhgads.txt

I would learn petrify, and then start using LRD as it was meant to be used. It works great when suddenly _everything_ is a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
I got #83, with five wins (5-rune VSAK, 4-rune GrAE, 15-rune GhAs, 4-rune HaGl, and 3-rune OgCK). I'm pretty happy with that. :)

• Locked thread