Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I’m planning on making a cosmopolitan for my girlfriend tonight, but I realized it calls for citrus vodka, and I’ve only got regular. Would tossing in a dash of lemon juice with straight vodka be an alright substitute? Anything else you guys would recommend as an alternative? I haven't got the free time to go pick up a bottle of actual citron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Give it a try; report back (you'll be fine).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I’m planning on making a cosmopolitan for my girlfriend tonight, but I realized it calls for citrus vodka, and I’ve only got regular. Would tossing in a dash of lemon juice with straight vodka be an alright substitute? Anything else you guys would recommend as an alternative? I haven't got the free time to go pick up a bottle of actual citron.

Are you using a recipe that doesn't call for lime juice in there already? Cosmos with unflavored vodka are absolutely fine and I considered them to be the "standard". Also, make one for yourself while you're at it, a good Cosmopolitan with Cointreau and poo poo is a Real rear end Cocktail and pretty much the only thing with vodka in it that I take pleasure in making and drinking. Those Sex And The City ladies knew what was up. Ounce and a half of vodka, 3/4 Cointreau, splash of lime (just squeeze half of one) and the tiniest splash of cranberry (you're basically just doing this for the color).

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I think the hatred of Malort, at least amongst other drinking professionals is the loving horrendous hangover you will get after the firsts time someone says "hey try this!" While visiting the Midwest and then you come to eleven hours later with your mouth feeling like a desert and an ash tray had a baby...

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah, it makes a lot more sense to build your home bar piece by piece with liquors you need for drinks you want, rather than attempting a catchall set because apparently your house is a speakeasy and on any given night is going to want one of a few dozen cocktails and God drat it you'd better be able to make one!

Eh, I liked it as a conceptual starting block (like a learning laboratory). You can do a number of classics with the set, and add a few things here and there as you branch out.

For me, it was more like, I'm reading a cocktail book/blog, and drat that sounds good, oh wow I can toss it together now instead of trecking to the store. (And I can't get booze at the grocery store, so that's another layer.)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
So, my friends have gotten into cocktails big time, and want me to be their expert. This is great. I now go over with my nearly dead specialty bottles, teach them how to make fun drinks, then get blastered. Course, it is a bit hard because one of them is celiac(Yes, it's real and not special snowflake. Spending 4 hours in the ER with her one time proved that)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Distillation leaves behind all of the protein, though, and therefore all of the gluten. Or are you using stuff that has additives in it, like fireball?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Distillation leaves behind all of the protein, though, and therefore all of the gluten. Or are you using stuff that has additives in it, like fireball?

I do not know to be honest

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Easy quick way to substitute normal vodka for citrus vodka is just to muddle a lemon peel lightly in the mixing glass IMO

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Made a bowl of my beloved Glasgow punch for a small roast chicken dinner party on Saturday. Kept dilution with water lower than original as Wondrich correctly suggests. My wife usually ignores this particular punch but was an enthusiastic participant at the bowl, this time. Another convert to the true path of the bowl.

Now to decide on a Thanksgiving punch. Thinking a cold variation of Blackwood's hot whiskey punch with whatever bottle of Scotch is closest to hand on my sagging cabinet. Could start the lemon peel steeping today, pull them in 40-48 hours, make the hot punch, cool until turkeytime guests arrive, and just pour with a touch extra water, float ice, and be done for Thanksgiving.

E: I'll actually save that for my next party with friends. Going to do a half-scale American whiskey punch with Wild Turkey 101 for Thanksgiving proper.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 23, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I want to make some Ramos fizzes. I remember reading that you have to shake differently with the egg whites, could someone give me a step by step?

Is Gordon's good enough for fizzes and Limmer's? I have been making a lot of gin drinks recently, and I want something cheaper than Bombay.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 23, 2015

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Shake hard and long. No, stop being a pussy, longer.

Your arms are tired? Longer or go thirsty.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Butch Cassidy posted:

Shake hard and long. No, stop being a pussy, longer.

Your arms are tired? Longer or go thirsty.

I am reading Imbibe! and I just finished the chapter on Fizzes. He describes the first bar that serves a fizz with both cream and egg white as having a barback whose sole job it was to shake those drinks. He also digs up records of another bar that had multiple shakers who stood in a line and just passed the shaker down the line when their arms got tired.

You know, just to give you some context of how much a Ramos Fizz needs to be shaken.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I think the general consensus is to wet shake to dilute as normal, then strain and dry shake for a while. It doesn't take 2 minutes like a lot of recipes say, but go for at least 30 seconds. A minute is probably fine. If you add soda water directly to your tin before you serve (rather than after pouring into your serving glass) it won't foam up and overflow and will mix into the drink better.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Everything over heard is just to shake dry first, then shake with ice normally. Cold temp slows down the process with the eggs, so doing it without ice first speeds it up, then a regular ice shake to cool down the drink finishes it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

As I've repeatedly stated before, dry shaking is a bunch of hooey. I think people underestimate that cocktails should be shaken hard. Like, you should have to engage your core muscles to keep your body in one place because that's how hard you're shaking. If you shake like that you can make a very respectable Ramon Gin Fizz with only 2 or 3 minutes of shaking.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Nope. Dry shake second. Shake with ice first.

You don't really need to shake a crazy long time unless you're really bad at shaking. About 12seconds with ice, strain, dry shake another 8-10 to fluff.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah the 2 or 3 minutes thing was a joke. Dry shake is still silly though. You're just warming the drink up if you dry shake after you shake with ice.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
I have had good results wet shaking and then cheating by popping in the aerolatte for a bit. Hardly authentic but there you go.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I really want to try using a french press to foam it. You can make super voluminous very velvety cold foamed milk in one by just pushing the filter up and down through the milk repeatedly so it seems like you could probably do the same with the fizz...

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I really don't understand why people feel the need to do all these silly things... Is shaking really that hard???!?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I really don't understand why people feel the need to do all these silly things... Is shaking really that hard???!?
Thanks to something called "molecular gastronomy," using a dozen stupid kitchen gadgets is now totally chic and not for white trash who can't even scramble an egg. Here, let me explain how to cryomuddle your next julep...

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Nah, nitro muddling has a specific purpose, but I get what you are saying.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

It's really only a deal when you're trying to mix egg yolks and cream, and even then it's over exaggerated. Obviously the 'line of shakers' I mentioned from Wondritch's book were mainly for show, but when trying to combine yolk and cream/milk you should shake for a full minute or two.

I think the dry shake followed by a wet shake would be the best way and achieve the correct amount of dilution. If you're going to the effort of making a Ramos fizz then you may as well take the extra non effort of building it in an order that makes the most sense, right?

Also, 'strength' of your shake makes very little difference and is mainly for show. My shake is a goofy single handed maraca rhythm thing and my Boston shakers ice up as fast as any of the bartender's.

Plus everyone loves my shake :ocelot:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 24, 2015

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
[quote="Fart Car '97" post="

I think the dry shake followed by a wet shake would be the best way and achieve the correct amount of dilution. If you're going to the effort of making a Ramos fizz then you may as well take the extra non effort of building it in an order that makes the most sense, right?

[/quote]

Dave Arnold, Simon Difford and science disagree. Shake with ice, strain. Shake dry for a few seconds to finish, double strain into glass. Serve.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I shake for about a minute, drink it alarmingly fast, then make another.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Likewise, I don't understand those of you who apparently stop drinking French 75s before the champagne is gone. And what's this about some sort of headache the next day? Drink a glass of water.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The amount of dilution is determined by physics. There is a hard line that cannot be crossed. Shaking harder will have different effects though, such as creating more ice chips which melt and dilute as you drink unless you fine strain. I would imagine shaking harder will emulsify drinks with egg or cream in them faster than a softer shake will as well.

I don't think dry shaking after wet will warm up the cocktail in any significant amount. Your tools are still ice cold and you are only shaking it for a small amount of time. If anything, waiting for someone to run the drink to the table has a bigger effect.

Basically dry shaking first is a pain in the rear end and I'm glad this thread + other bartenders have turned me on to wet/dry.

To the guy with the maracca shake: why not have different shakes for different drinks? Form should always follow function. You can still be showy with different shaking techniques.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 24, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Maestro posted:

The amount of dilution is determined by physics. There is a hard line that cannot be crossed. Shaking harder will have different effects though, such as creating more ice chips which melt and dilute as you drink unless you fine strain. I would imagine shaking harder will emulsify drinks with egg or cream in them faster than a softer shake will as well.

I don't think dry shaking after wet will warm up the cocktail in any significant amount. Your tools are still ice cold and you are only shaking it for a small amount of time. If anything, waiting for someone to run the drink to the table has a bigger effect.

Basically dry shaking first is a pain in the rear end and I'm glad this thread + other bartenders have turned me on to wet/dry.

To the guy with the maracca shake: why not have different shakes for different drinks? Form should always follow function. You can still be showy with different shaking techniques.

If someone ordered a flip or something then yeah I'll change it up, because my normal shake won't cut it when egg whites come into the picture. I was referring only to the vigor of a shake not really having any effect on the end temperature of the drink, because some people are under the impression that shaking more vigorously will get it colder, and therefore every drink should have the crap shaken out of it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So for home mixing, do you strain into the glass, dump the ice, pour back into the shaker, and then shake some more?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Depending on the size, couldn't you just strain into the other half of your Boston shaker?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
I shake and strain one. And only for cocktails using fresh fruit juice.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Maestro posted:

I have yet to work in a place well designed to have dump sinks available at every station so it's actually a bigger pain in the arse to do it wet/dry because you have to dump the ice in the bin where it melts and soaks the floor so I'm yet to really catch on to this trend, what's the biggest advantage over dry/ wet shaking?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Hey Kenning, my family got a shipment of random Florida citrus from Grandma, and I'm wondering what manner of punch can be made from it. Things weren't labeled well, and some were test-eaten. Estimate is 4 oranges, 4 tangerines/tangellos, 2 not-lemons (not-sweet) that we cant figure out if they're grapefruits, 1 oranger-not-lemon that's sweet. I apologise for being vague as hell, but that's all we know, and I'd like to make a thanksgiving punch from the Mystery Citrus.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Gentlemen and women, I posit this to you. After weeks of careful study conducted by yours truly I have ascertained that at a ratio of 2:1:1 a boulvardier is simply superior to a negroni, assuming a decent percentage of rye in the mash. None shall question my findings. Also can someone buy me more campari? I seem to have run out.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If you can find it, Leopold Bros. Apertivo is far superior to Campari.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

If you can find it, Leopold Bros. Apertivo is far superior to Campari.

Is it available at either LCBO or SAQ? (I live in a city on the border betwixt provinces). Alternatively can I get it in vegas when I go in feb?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I have no idea about Canada, it's made in Colorado. If you email them off their website, one of the Leopold Brothers will get back to you and let you know where you can purchase it. Vegas is probably a better bet.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I have no idea about Canada, it's made in Colorado. If you email them off their website, one of the Leopold Brothers will get back to you and let you know where you can purchase it. Vegas is probably a better bet.

Will email them tomorrow the .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I have yet to work in a place well designed to have dump sinks available at every station so it's actually a bigger pain in the arse to do it wet/dry because you have to dump the ice in the bin where it melts and soaks the floor so I'm yet to really catch on to this trend, what's the biggest advantage over dry/ wet shaking?

The main advantage for me (using glass + tin setup) is that I don't have to make sure the shakers are perfectly aligned to create a seal that won't send cocktail everywhere. The ice creates the seal of course, and after straining the tins are still cold enough to stay sealed for the dry shake. I also find you get a thicker foam, but that could just be my perception.