Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah okay, just mark yourself as a spectator so I know not to care if you can't make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I'd be in. Probably just spectating, but we'll see.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

paragon1, I wouldn't mind a link if you could PM me one. I may just spectate, but would love to see things as they unfold live(ish).

This is me as well

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Another problem is that everyone with a libertarian bent wants to micromanage how taxes are spent and the only one they curiously never have any issue with is public safety aka men with guns.

Somehow God does not strike them down with thunderbolts made of raw irony.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RuanGacho posted:

Another problem is that everyone with a libertarian bent wants to micromanage how taxes are spent and the only one they curiously never have any issue with is public safety aka men with guns.

Somehow God does not strike them down with thunderbolts made of raw irony.
I am kind of surprised, really, because they endorse the sole valid function for a state being "protection of private property," as opposed to the much more ancient pursuits of political groups, such as "promotion of agriculture" or "religious reasons."

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Huh it's weird that Jrod isn't posting any replies anymore. Maybe he got too busy making videos about how big his penis is for youtube?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Huh it's weird that Jrod isn't posting any replies anymore. Maybe he got too busy making videos about how big his penis is for youtube?

It's only been three days, give it time. Much like that Taco Bell you had for lunch yesterday, he'll be back.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
For the most part jrod seems more chill than Stephan Molyneux. I think he'd be good doing YouTubes about his ideas even though they would be several hours long each and broken up by ads for books by his favorite "thinkers."

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Wait, so are we going to need an invitation to even see this debate?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hey paragon, the savage time difference probably precludes me from joining a live discussion, but I wouldn't mind a link to it anyway

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
re: the roundtable, i get my schedule every week because woo minimum wage retail, so don't worry about working around me, i'll just let you all know if i'm going to be there once the time comes

also, shotgun on talking about sovcits

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My schedule is hectic and I am rarely caught up with these threads, so don't post often, but I always read them all when I have time.

If live to participate, but like others, don't hold it up on my account if I can't make it to a scheduled time.

In other words, I'm in! send the link yo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Put me down as a spectator and if I decide to remove my consent to joinder to be silent I... will probably be too late anyway, but yeah spectator would be nice.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I'll spectate, but I don't have PMs.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
AH gently caress IT

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hne3Ggtk_zQ6yQOY90knB9e_qrgU4S4AmL68JSMEynY/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wPHiojIjEWKO9gMN1SHIiKMN9Q3gKcSIYtIGNGBiA1s/edit?usp=sharing

Dickeye that sucks about your schedule. Right now it looks like we're going to be shooting for this Sunday the 29th, probably in the afternoon. I'm in EST, I'll let you guys know a specific time over the next couple of days. It's kind of unfortunate that Caros is so savagely unavailable on weekends.

I don't get the appeal of being there live when A) That makes however we do the call more of a cluster gently caress (I'm still going with skype because that's what I know how to use, if anyone thinks they can organize a better option easier please do so)

B)I'm setting this up so you'll be able hear the whole drat thing at your own convenience.

I'd just turn it into a stream at this point but I haven't the slightest clue how to set that up. Again, if anyone wants to volunteer to teach me/set that up themselves feel free.

:siren: I will almost certainly be setting up a second one for people who want to participate but can't make it this time. :siren:

Caros
May 14, 2008

paragon1 posted:

AH gently caress IT

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hne3Ggtk_zQ6yQOY90knB9e_qrgU4S4AmL68JSMEynY/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wPHiojIjEWKO9gMN1SHIiKMN9Q3gKcSIYtIGNGBiA1s/edit?usp=sharing

Dickeye that sucks about your schedule. Right now it looks like we're going to be shooting for this Sunday the 29th, probably in the afternoon. I'm in EST, I'll let you guys know a specific time over the next couple of days. It's kind of unfortunate that Caros is so savagely unavailable on weekends.

I don't get the appeal of being there live when A) That makes however we do the call more of a cluster gently caress (I'm still going with skype because that's what I know how to use, if anyone thinks they can organize a better option easier please do so)

B)I'm setting this up so you'll be able hear the whole drat thing at your own convenience.

I'd just turn it into a stream at this point but I haven't the slightest clue how to set that up. Again, if anyone wants to volunteer to teach me/set that up themselves feel free.

:siren: I will almost certainly be setting up a second one for people who want to participate but can't make it this time. :siren:

Actually I'm going to update mine today because it occurred to me that I'll be available Sunday evenings through most of December.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I'm not going to put myself on the list, because I'm not involved in it enough to dictate schedules. But I'm noticing JRod isn't on the list either. What happens when if he chickens out and doesn't emerge before your festival? Will we just have dramatic readings of Ancap blog posts instead?

Because I'd be into that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh come on Nolanar I've said like 4 times now that I don't expect him to show, but if he wants to come he can. The link to the word doc should tell you what we'll be talking about.

On that score seriously guys put what you want to talk about in the doc and I'll do what I can.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Caros posted:

Actually I'm going to update mine today because it occurred to me that I'll be available Sunday evenings through most of December.

Please do. How's the 29th looking for you, you didn't put anything for that day.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I will update my info into the doc, it's just been hectic and I haven't been able to get to my PC and updating it on iPhone is a pain.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Q by Jrod: "Why Should We Care About Property Rights?"

A by Jrod: "Because Slavery Is Economic Freedom And I Said So."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

"Property rights" if about the rights to own and dispose of property, not the rights of property. Duh.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The plan is to line up your schedules then try to schedule a debate with jrod right?

When this happens and he totally shows up instead of backing out, try not to be overwhelmed by his pure evolutionary fitness (self-reported as "prince william with hair and abs").

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

That's totally unfair. I don't know where you'd even get the idea that libertarians approve of slavery, beyond your own persecution complexes that are probably due to a bad breakup. *quotes multiple libertarian Freedom Indices that put slave states near the top of the list, quotes a dude who's totally in favor of "voluntary" slavery, quotes a dude who supports a healthy free market in children*

SedanChair posted:

The plan is to line up your schedules then try to schedule a debate with jrod right?

When this happens and he totally shows up instead of backing out, try not to be overwhelmed by his pure evolutionary fitness (self-reported as "prince william with hair and abs").

Wait, have we ever asked JRod what he thinks about evolution? He's never failed to disappoint so far, so I wouldn't put it past him to believe in some kind of Libertarian bizarro-Lysenkoism.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
For the thing Paragon is putting together I'm pretty sure it's just going to be goons cracking jokes about libertarianism in general and Jrod in particular possibly while drinking and discussing other topics? Jrod won't show and I know it's not being planned around him at least.

EDIT

Nolanar posted:

Wait, have we ever asked JRod what he thinks about evolution? He's never failed to disappoint so far, so I wouldn't put it past him to believe in some kind of Libertarian bizarro-Lysenkoism.

At least one of the people Jrod regularly quotes believes that whites are literal genetically superior to other races and thus are "natural elites". Now, he doesn't use those exact words because he stretches it out over three paragraphs of dogwhistles, but that's exactly what he was getting at. I forget who it was, probably Triple-H, and when it was brought up to Jrod he hemmed and hawed and made the excuse above that the words "whites are superior to coloreds" weren't explicitly written down ergo it's not racist but it's totally true that European culture is superior to some click-click tribe in the heart of Africa why do you keep calling me racist?!

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 24, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
it was HHH

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Nolanar posted:

That's totally unfair. I don't know where you'd even get the idea that libertarians approve of slavery, beyond your own persecution complexes that are probably due to a bad breakup. *quotes multiple libertarian Freedom Indices that put slave states near the top of the list, quotes a dude who's totally in favor of "voluntary" slavery, quotes a dude who supports a healthy free market in children*

Let's not forget: "It's insane that you would think libertarians are more opposed to taxes than slavery! Now here is why taxes are slavery..."

quote:

He probably has a mirror opinion to his take on vaccination, i.e., "I personally accept the theory of evolution but I don't think it is fair or reasonable to persecute those who bravely stand up to THE STATE indoctrinating their children with its approved scientific orthodoxy, now here's some concern trolling about why the theory of evolution may be in doubt, no doubt this will get me branded and crucified as a heretic..."

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 24, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

I thought the plan was just to record us talking among ourselves and making quips about Libertarians because we're sad internet people.

I didn't know jrod was expected to show up.

E:

GunnerJ posted:

He probably has a mirror opinion to his take on vaccination, i.e., "I personally accept the theory of evolution but I don't think it is fair or reasonable to persecute those who bravely stand up to THE STATE indoctrinating their children with its approved scientific orthodoxy, now here's some concern trolling about why the theory of evolution may be in doubt, no doubt this will get me branded and crucified as a heretic..."

Actually you'll find his vague concern trolling to be the other direction, favoring some unpopular and suppressed theories of evolution

jrodefeld posted:

Racism is collectivism and for me to call someone a racist they either have to self identify as such (unlikely) or I have to see some sort of evidence that they judge a group of people negatively simply because of their skin pigmentation. Short of that, there are plenty of times where I have cringed when people use language that I feel is somewhat insensitive or not politically correct. I'll freely say "I find that offensive".

That is unfortunately what this term has come to represent. It is used by a left wing intelligentsia to distract people from a whole number of different ideologies and ideas by banishing certain people from "respectable" society. For example, as to the Bell Curve and the authors of that book, there are many people who simply refuse to debate or discuss any of the controversial ideas proposed. It is much easier to refer to the book and it's authors as racist and move on.

I don't know anything about that book or any of the science on IQ and race. However, the only appropriate intellectual response to that, is to refute the science. Calling the authors racist just distracts from the real important thing, which is whether their is any validity to the notion of average IQ differences between different ethnicities.

Of course it is entirely conceivable that a researcher could be completely non-racist but indeed discover that there ARE differences in average IQ between different races. You might even hope that this is not the case yet conceivably find that the evidence is irrefutable. Or a person could indeed be an anti-racist who feels that there are IQ differences between the races due to his research when in reality his research was flawed.

There should be open debates and discussions when those who believe in this hypothesis. Again, I don't know anything about this subject at all. But the term "racist" is used to stifle debate and full discussion on a host of issues.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 24, 2015

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Nolanar posted:

Also never forget that if you don't stop implying people who are Nazis in all but name are racist, Jrod will personally curb stomp you until you embrace the love of Libertarianism.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a Libertarian boot stomping on a statists' face forever. Heil Hoppe.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hans-Hermann Hoppe, the Game, the King of Kings, the Cerebral Assassin, the rear end Kicker.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hey guys, so,:siren: if you are interested in participating, please make sure your username and skype name are listed in the google doc.:siren: You can also message me on skype, I'm on there as paragon1 (my av is similar to my SA one), but I can't promise I won't forget to call you if you aren't listed.

:siren: Also, Please make sure to give me a yes or no on your availability this Sunday the 29th. :siren: <--------- THIS MEANS YOU CAROS AND DICKEYE

Who What Now, I still don't see anything from you on there either.

Also, you've all been very goonishly lazy on suggesting topics for conversation. :mad:

Who What Now posted:

For the thing Paragon is putting together I'm pretty sure it's just going to be goons cracking jokes about libertarianism in general and Jrod in particular possibly while drinking and discussing other topics? Jrod won't show and I know it's not being planned around him at least.

I expect it will be exactly that. Actually I expect it to be a huge clusterfuck that fizzles out and pisses me off. I'm bringing whiskey either way.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

Hey guys, so,:siren: if you are interested in participating, please make sure your username and skype name are listed in the google doc.:siren: You can also message me on skype, I'm on there as paragon1 (my av is similar to my SA one), but I can't promise I won't forget to call you if you aren't listed.

:siren: Also, Please make sure to give me a yes or no on your availability this Sunday the 29th. :siren: <--------- THIS MEANS YOU CAROS AND DICKEYE

Who What Now, I still don't see anything from you on there either.

Also, you've all been very goonishly lazy on suggesting topics for conversation. :mad:

I expect it will be exactly that. Actually I expect it to be a huge clusterfuck that fizzles out and pisses me off. I'm bringing whiskey either way.

i'm still making a shrug, i know that i'll be home around 10 EST saturday night, but i don't know sunday's schedule yet.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Literally The Worst posted:

i'm still making a shrug, i know that i'll be home around 10 EST saturday night, but i don't know sunday's schedule yet.

Fair enough. I've worked retail before, but man at least where I worked scheduled things a couple weeks out ahead of time.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

It's Black Friday weekend. A lot of the normal rules don't apply.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
:doh: I'd honestly completely forgotten that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, I honestly have no idea where I'll be that Sunday, so just mark me down as a 'No'

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Are the times on the spreadsheet what we're going off of? And are those EST? I'm 13 hours ahead of EST, and I'm seeing 0:00-05:00; 05:00-08:00; 08:00-12:00 on the spreadsheet. Is this all AM EST?

Also, I propose when we introduce Hoppe this gets played: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYWcV2DIIHU

If jrode does show up, someone should totally plug in a Triple H sound board. In the very least, the one bite from this soundboard could work: http://www.soundboard.com/sb/WMEB919

VVV e: Thanks for the clarification.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 25, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yes all times are EST. They are not all AM though what the gently caress. They're midnight to 8 AM, 8 AM to 5PM, and 5PM to midnight.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

paragon1 posted:

Yes all times are EST. They are not all AM though what the gently caress. They're midnight to 8 AM, 8 AM to 5PM, and 5PM to midnight.

Not to be a constant bother, but could check if you set your av to public? As it is I'm getting four "paragon1" users on Skype and not a single one has an av/picture loading up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Why are you making all these plans when it's pretty much certain that jrod won't show up?

• Locked thread