Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I dunno if rank in the S class is directly comparible to actual power, though. Like, Child Emperor isn't as strong as Pri-Pri Prisoner even and people think King is the strongest guy in the world and he's only ranked 7th.

Metal Bat probably just spends too much time helping his school friends out of scrapes, working two jobs to pay for his sick mother's medical bills and listening to his sister's emotional troubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe Tatsumaki and Fubuki are both their real names.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually it's Tornado and Blizzard, hth

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Prison Warden posted:

I dunno if rank in the S class is directly comparible to actual power, though. Like, Child Emperor isn't as strong as Pri-Pri Prisoner even and people think King is the strongest guy in the world and he's only ranked 7th.

Metal Bat probably just spends too much time helping his school friends out of scrapes, working two jobs to pay for his sick mother's medical bills and listening to his sister's emotional troubles.

Well, Child Emperor might not be physically as strong as the rest of the S-Class but he makes up for it with his genius I guess? The Math special had him make a device that could gauge the physical strengths of a person and he also outright stated that his strength wasn't a matter of physical abilities.

Also the kid is still hella strong. With a physical rating of 1880, he's stronger than Stinger's 1600 (A Rank 10), Darkness Blade's 759 (B Rank 5), Crimson Muffler's 100 (C Rank 89), and a random bear's 900 (wild animal). Given that Great Philosopher, who's A Rank 13, has a stronger physical rating (2442) than Stinger, it's clear that factors like weaponry, equipment, martial art abilities, special powers, etc. also are taken into consideration. Especially since Fubuki, who's technically a high A-Rank, only measured 19.

But yeah, I do agree that ranking =/= power. Genos is actively trying to climb ranks so he's going out of his way to stack up accomplishments, whereas Metal Bat doesn't really come off as the type to go out and seek fights. The only reason he's in his current situation is because the Hero Association begged him to play bodyguard. Also Genos got a boost to his rankings from his participation in the Meteor arc and the Sea King arc, I believe.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 25, 2015

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prison Warden posted:

And making sure his cat's kittens are adopted out to good homes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Rank is based on known/presumed accomplishments, not power.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Pri-Pri-Prisoner takes a ton of blows from the Sea King but at least his body remains intact.

Hell, the B-Rank Cyborg also got wrecked by the Sea King whereas the 3 other heroes just got knocked out.

ONE is racist against cyborgs is my conclusion.

Well, Genos was doing well until he blocked the acid spit with his body, which is what really got him. After that he was already mostly-destroyed and couldn't fight back.

Bad Seafood posted:

Rank is based on known/presumed accomplishments, not power.

Well, general rank; starting rank is decided by ability. Sort of. Saitama being kind of dumb put him in C, but Genos getting a perfect score put him in S from the start.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Metal bat is insanely powerful and is my friend.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

Metal bat is insanely powerful and is my friend.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Roland Jones posted:

Well, Genos was doing well until he blocked the acid spit with his body, which is what really got him. After that he was already mostly-destroyed and couldn't fight back.

Well, general rank; starting rank is decided by ability. Sort of. Saitama being kind of dumb put him in C, but Genos getting a perfect score put him in S from the start.

The anime also includes scenes of the Hero Association finding Genos's handiwork in destroying the House of Evolution's headquarters and jumping him up to S class because of that since that was a pretty major accomplishment in their eyes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The youngest known heroes so far are...

Child Emperor (S-Rank) - 10
Lily (B-Rank) - 15
Metal Bat (S-Rank) - 17
Genos (S-Rank), Blue Fire (A-Rank) - 19

Clearly the young ones are powerful.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah but when people are asking how Child Emperor could possibly outrank Pri-Pri Prisoner, or how anybody can outrank King, that's why.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Genos suffers from being a cyborg. Because he can be rebuilt, he can be destroyed without permanently killing anyone.

Dude's made of metal but crumples like paper and yet Metal Bat's metal bat somehow stands up to a Dragon-level giant bug.

I guess what I'm saying is that maybe Genos should buy some of Metal Bat's metal bats.
Metal Bat's Bat is Metal Bat. It's made from him, it is him. I wouldn't be surprised if his bat is made from an extremely heavy and durable metal and weighs a few metric tons. Genos on the other hand needs agility and speed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Suspicious Lump posted:

Metal Bat's Bat is Metal Bat. It's made from him, it is him. I wouldn't be surprised if his bat is made from an extremely heavy and durable metal and weighs a few metric tons. Genos on the other hand needs agility and speed.

I'd like to believe that it is just a simple bat made of metal because the lack of magic makes it even more magical.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

In a world where a man transformed into a giant crab monster simply by loving crabs too much, I can believe Metal Bat's indestructable bat is powered by his unwavering belief in justice.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

In a world where a man transformed into a giant crab monster simply by loving crabs too much, I can believe Metal Bat's indestructable bat is powered by his unwavering belief in justice.
I would also enjoy this answer. He's 17! At that age you think you're indestructible and maybe that's his power: unbelievable confidence.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

My favorite villain is probably this dude.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

I would also enjoy this answer. He's 17! At that age you think you're indestructible and maybe that's his power: unbelievable confidence.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lily (B-Rank) - 15
Metal Bat (S-Rank) - 17

Wait, what? Metal Bat is only 17? :psyduck: Where was this stated?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

In his character bio from the data book IIRC which will not be reposted in this thread as it contains spoilers.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah but when people are asking how Child Emperor could possibly outrank Pri-Pri Prisoner, or how anybody can outrank King, that's why.

Oh, of course. No question there.

Metal Bat is awesome and I am totally rooting for him in his current fight, though given the "villain clowns everyone until facing Saitama" thing I don't think he's going to be successful.

Lily (B-Rank) - 15
Metal Bat (S-Rank) - 17

Oh jeez, Blue Fire's only nineteen? That's rather young to get your hand ripped off. Hopefully Garou didn't finish him off. (Given his apparent lack of a body count otherwise I doubt he did, especially combined with how humans never seem to die in this despite things like the meteor wrecking the city, but still.)

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

So much loving swag :allears:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

In his character bio from the data book IIRC which will not be reposted in this thread as it contains spoilers.

Wait, the data book isn't up to date with the Murata version? I was always under the impression that it was drawn by Murata and only went through the stuff that Murata had already covered.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well it's not like Japan treats the original ONE version like a secret, by all accounts it appeared to be fairly popular even before the redraw. Just not phenomenally so. So the ONE webcomic is a perfectly understandable source of supplementary info on stuff that might not have come up yet in Murata's redraw.

Like teasers for the people who only stick to one of the adapted versions.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I'd like to believe that it is just a simple bat made of metal because the lack of magic makes it even more magical.

Metal Bat's dad used to play catch with him as a child, but one day had a fatal heart attack in front of the street sign on the corner. Later the same street sign is struck by lightning in the winter, and the pole cracks in half. Metal Bat then used his school metal shop to turn the scorched and slightly melted remains into a bat.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

can't we just call him batman

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What came first, the metal or the bat?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

One Punch Man wiki

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Metal Bat is clearly something supernatural.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Fubuki/Tatsumaki name question is answered later on.

Metal Bat is just further proof that pompadour = amazing character.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Also the kid is still hella strong. With a physical rating of 1880, he's stronger than Stinger's 1600 (A Rank 10), Darkness Blade's 759 (B Rank 5), Crimson Muffler's 100 (C Rank 89), and a random bear's 900 (wild animal). Given that Great Philosopher, who's A Rank 13, has a stronger physical rating (2442) than Stinger, it's clear that factors like weaponry, equipment, martial art abilities, special powers, etc. also are taken into consideration. Especially since Fubuki, who's technically a high A-Rank, only measured 19.

Wait wait wait

Fubuki, who's pretty much an average human regarding physical strength, has a 19

King is so weak that Child Emperor's gadget does not even register him

=

WHAT THE HELL KING, YOU'RE MORE THAN 19 TIMES WEAKER THAN AN AVERAGE HUMAN BEING (but in our hearts you're the strongest there is)

Goddammit. The story goes out of its way to demonstrate that power levels mean NOTHING in this series, not just because of Saitama's existence, and here I am going :psyduck: about the whole thing.
It's true, power levels ruin everything

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Say Nothing posted:

Metal Bat is clearly something supernatural.

Metal bat is way cooler than that dude and a lot less whiny probably.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fubuki got a 19 because she was in the depths of despair.

It recorded King's video game skills.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Torquemadras posted:

Wait wait wait

Fubuki, who's pretty much an average human regarding physical strength, has a 19

King is so weak that Child Emperor's gadget does not even register him

=

WHAT THE HELL KING, YOU'RE MORE THAN 19 TIMES WEAKER THAN AN AVERAGE HUMAN BEING (but in our hearts you're the strongest there is)

Goddammit. The story goes out of its way to demonstrate that power levels mean NOTHING in this series, not just because of Saitama's existence, and here I am going :psyduck: about the whole thing.
It's true, power levels ruin everything

Yeah, the device isn't really all that useful because it doesn't take the following into account.

Machinery: Genos can't be measured because he's a cyborg.
Weapons: Stinger actually has a lower power rating than Great Philosopher but also uses a spear. Child Emperor himself relies on weaponry and says as much himself.
Psychic Powers: As shown by Fubuki.

The 'average' was actually 22 for a regular staff member of the Hero Assocation. If I recall, Child Emperor just set a random C Rank's stats as 100 to use as a base, so these numbers don't really say much alone. They just show how strong everyone else is in relation to the original C Rank.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I thought King didn't register because Saitama already had broken it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GodFish posted:

I thought King didn't register because Saitama already had broken it.

That's the argument the characters use but it's hard to actually say whether or not that's actually the case (which is the joke, really).

Murata was streaming yesterday, drawing the next chapter. Here's a cap of something that happens in it.

http://i.imgur.com/CrH2aIP.jpg

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 25, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Personally I hope King takes it on himself to train at some point and become the hero everyone believes him to be. He is like my favorite character and I can only feel sadness at the idea that anime only people will only get a small taste of the power that is the King Engine.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mordaedil posted:

Personally I hope King takes it on himself to train at some point and become the hero everyone believes him to be. He is like my favorite character and I can only feel sadness at the idea that anime only people will only get a small taste of the power that is the King Engine.

At least King will be the first thing we come back to in the inevitable Season 2, whenever that finally happens.

When it does I really hope they take the time to do more One Punch Man side stories. Police story is an absolute must, but I also really want the tale of his time with a tooth-ache and the time he punched his way out of a monster shelter because they didn't have a bathroom to be animated.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There's actually a very slight chance this season could end with King, though I wouldn't bet on it until after episode 10 airs.