Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the best desktop, if you can afford it, really is enterprise linux with all the bells and whistles and nfs mounted home directories

running rhel at home is terrible because all the software is old. and dealing with nfs is basically hell.

in a megacorp you don't have those problems, because some other team keeps all the software current, builds it for the correct platforms, installs development tools etc.

and nfs is maintained by magical forest creatures. it's like The Force in star wars. it pervades all IT assets and the more you think about it the less you are able to understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
step 1 to having a truly successful linux desktop experience: make it somebody else's loving problem

step 2 is stop trying to do things other than work on software, because that's what it's really for.

running video games or whatever is possible, even easy, but that's not really the point of the whole thing, and linux desktops are happy to remind you of this constantly. (e.g. desktop effects causing tearing in your video games. loool)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:ughh:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Macs in the front, linux in the back

Only people I see care about windows are olds and enterprise CJs (and gamers, i guess?)

I meant windows the building feature not the kind of windows that is repugnant

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

stop trying to do things other than work on terrible linux software, because that's what it's really for.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in a megacorp you don't have those problems, because some other team keeps all the software current, builds it for the correct platforms, installs development tools etc.

lol

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
the only "exchange" i know is exchanging shitbox windows machines for mac or linux ones

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

step 2 is stop trying to do things other than work on software, because that's what it's really for.

the ouroboros of computing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

the ouroboros of computing

no it's more the pig poo poo reservoir of computing

the linux desktop is a farm, producing grain (your terrible software), for pigs (servers) which spray poo poo (advertising) into an endlessly deepening reservoir (your family's sad brains)

an ouroboros is a closed system. it's ecologically sound. internet services just suck electricity and poo poo all over everything.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

i'm starting to really like xmonad. poo poo just works which is p nice. plus i can take netflix to fullscreen, than fullscreen the actual video and resize it in xmonad and it retains the fullscreen.

other weird tidbit. been doing some ajax/jquery/python poo poo and i get a 500 internal server error when POSTing my data file to python on my linux box but poo poo just werks on when i'm on my mac which is all homebrew'd out. probably some permissions poo poo, idk. i'll figure it out tomorrow. something something xhr something something. it's uses werkzeug/flask so maybe pip hosed everything up

b0red fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 25, 2015

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

(e.g. desktop effects causing tearing in your video games. loool)

yeah this happens when you have a poo poo window manager that doesnt know how to disable compositing for games or videos

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
speaking of compositing, centos 7 really sucks rear end when i try to drive it remotely through a vncserver. live dragging windows corrupts their contents, it's slow, etc

seems likely that this is a consequence of gnome 3 being built around a compositor and not handling fallback to software compositing gracefully

any recommendations for a fix? would a different desktop environment help? kinda don't want to go there, but. (i don't like the gnoem3 ui at all, but my revulsion for cj'ing linux des away from the distribution default is overwhelming)

(my brilliant idea of using x11vnc to take advantage of the gpu's compositing on the local x11 server isn't working out so far. over the years x11vnc has been consistent for me in that it is great once i get it running but makes me want to kill my are self while i'm trying to get it running)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

any recommendations for a fix? would a different desktop environment help?

a better desktop environment is literally the only solution. kde and xfce don't require compositing. obviously a window manager running alone won't require it either

at the end of the day you will still be using vnc, and vnc sucks pretty much universally*, but it doesn't have to be unusably bad.

* vnc was designed to work at low resolutions and low framerates on a zero loss, zero jitter network with low latency. so it is probably ok if you are on a wired, local LAN with a 640x480 window and you never use any video or effects. but that's a pretty weird corner case

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 25, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

i am doing this on gigabit ethernet with best possible gbe latency (a single switch between local and remote). i know vnc was designed ages ago and it's poo poo but it's poo poo that actually works pretty well for my use case, when it works

with gbe bandwidth and modern compression techniques vnc can feel nearly as good as local graphics even at high resolutions, but it's fragile. easily disrupted by a bad vnc client/server combo. honestly most of the problem with vnc is the same as all other open sores: fragmented to death by multiple groups of cadt methodology devotees

i may just say gently caress it and give up on centos 7 for now, as 6 has been quite needs suiting in the past and i don't wanna spend more days fighting 7 (this was not my only issue, not by a long shot, and i suspect i'm not done either)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Celexi posted:

yeah this happens when you have a poo poo window manager that doesnt know how to disable compositing for games or videos

also because x11 is stone-age crap that needs to die already

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BobHoward posted:

speaking of compositing, centos 7 really sucks rear end when i try to drive it remotely through a vncserver. live dragging windows corrupts their contents, it's slow, etc

seems likely that this is a consequence of gnome 3 being built around a compositor and not handling fallback to software compositing gracefully

any recommendations for a fix? would a different desktop environment help? kinda don't want to go there, but. (i don't like the gnoem3 ui at all, but my revulsion for cj'ing linux des away from the distribution default is overwhelming)

(my brilliant idea of using x11vnc to take advantage of the gpu's compositing on the local x11 server isn't working out so far. over the years x11vnc has been consistent for me in that it is great once i get it running but makes me want to kill my are self while i'm trying to get it running)

the only legitimate reason to be remote desktopping a Linux is if for some reason you've made the mistake of having your non technical people use linux. this problem should be solved by buying them macbooks, not with remote desktop

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

BobHoward posted:

i am doing this on gigabit ethernet with best possible gbe latency (a single switch between local and remote). i know vnc was designed ages ago and it's poo poo but it's poo poo that actually works pretty well for my use case, when it works

with gbe bandwidth and modern compression techniques vnc can feel nearly as good as local graphics even at high resolutions, but it's fragile. easily disrupted by a bad vnc client/server combo. honestly most of the problem with vnc is the same as all other open sores: fragmented to death by multiple groups of cadt methodology devotees

i may just say gently caress it and give up on centos 7 for now, as 6 has been quite needs suiting in the past and i don't wanna spend more days fighting 7 (this was not my only issue, not by a long shot, and i suspect i'm not done either)

what about https://www.nomachine.com its still bad but better than vnc

oh and guacamole is also better than vnc even though it uses vnc

Perplx fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 25, 2015

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the only legitimate reason to be remote desktopping a Linux is if for some reason you've made the mistake of having your non technical people use linux. this problem should be solved by buying them macbooks, not with remote desktop

it's not unknown for terrible employers to mandate windows on all desktops and to require developers to access their actual work environment remotely

sometimes they manage to find things that are even worse than vnc

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Soricidus posted:

it's not unknown for terrible employers to mandate windows on all desktops and to require developers to access their actual work environment remotely

sometimes they manage to find things that are even worse than vnc

is x11 forwarding better or worse than vnc

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Barnyard Protein posted:

is x11 forwarding better or worse than vnc

it sucks differently

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i'm _pretty_ sure our entire IC design staff VNC's into a CAD server to run all their tools. i'm afraid to ask

i do know that all the VM servers my group have are Ubuntu images with full X Window Systems / Unity (weird bulbous yellow face that slowly holds gun up to head then lowers it)

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

VNC supports disconnected operation which gives it a significant bonus over X11. The alternative is NX which is a bit voodoo at the best of times.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i've managed to make the jump to wayland for day to day work at last

it's uh...... not without its problems, certainly, but it's at least workable now. that being said i'm still waiting for martin grasslin to get KDE 5 up and running on wayland so i can give that a proper go, because their architecture is a lot less stupid than gnome's one (kde has a window manager that can act as a wayland compositor and also give privileged protocol access to the various shell bits and pieces like the taskbar and widgets processes, gnome just stuffs absolutely everything into the display manager including a JavaScript VM that runs the entire shell on the same thread as the OpenGL renderer :psyduck: )

i mean sure i could like, contribute patches and poo poo, but where's the fun in that

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Barnyard Protein posted:

i'm _pretty_ sure our entire IC design staff VNC's into a CAD server to run all their tools. i'm afraid to ask

this practice is p. much standard in the ic industry, and is in fact my use case. for my sins, i get to cj my own cad server and i'm building a new one

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it sucks differently

this is the best way to put it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the embryonic unix sysadmin

give him 20 years and a bald spot, he'll be assigning draconian quotas and complaining about java being "slow" with the best of them

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

welp turns out that centos 7's kde is terrible piss trash garbage (judging by the looks id say all kdes probably are) and doesn't run any better under vnc than gnome anyways and neither x11vnc nor x0vncserver do a better job than vncserver

back to centos 6 it is, hope there arent too many issues with skylake cpus, though I can probably get a deece modern kernel from elrepo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

welp turns out that centos 7's kde is terrible piss trash garbage (judging by the looks id say all kdes probably are) and doesn't run any better under vnc than gnome anyways and neither x11vnc nor x0vncserver do a better job than vncserver

back to centos 6 it is, hope there arent too many issues with skylake cpus, though I can probably get a deece modern kernel from elrepo

you have to turn off 'desktop effects' for it to work worth a drat in vnc

gnome just doesn't have a toggle to do this anymore

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

looking for a linux for personal use, want a middle ground between arch "gently caress you do it yourself" and ubuntu "lol i want be mac" bullshit. debian maybe?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
fedora gnome

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Apocadall posted:

looking for a linux for personal use, want a middle ground between arch "gently caress you do it yourself" and ubuntu "lol i want be mac" bullshit. debian maybe?

Xubuntu

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

:toot:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

only 31 replies?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Smythe posted:

fedora gnome

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you have to turn off 'desktop effects' for it to work worth a drat in vnc

it disqualified itself on a different level. no amount of turning 'desktop effects' off can make that ui design good

e: it has been like a decade or w/e since i last saw a kde, so the shock was considerable. i wasn't prepared :gonk:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

I use teamviewer on my fedora 22 box and its adequate

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

BobHoward posted:

it disqualified itself on a different level. no amount of turning 'desktop effects' off can make that ui design good

e: it has been like a decade or w/e since i last saw a kde, so the shock was considerable. i wasn't prepared :gonk:

use fedora for desktop instead of centos hope this hels

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BobHoward posted:

On a positive note, they added search to all their settings control panels to make up for the nonsensical arrangement of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Apocadall posted:

for desktop use ubuntu has more up-to-date packages than debian, that's not even considering the developer ppa's for more up-to-date stuff. It's more convenient. idk if you care about that or what you're using it for