Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Whenever someone asks me about video games I say I'm a filthy casual and my favorite game is Pokemon or Bubble Bobble, or something like that. Surprisingly, this usually nets a positive response and people telling me it's okay to be casual, but that might be because I'm a girl. The problem is that this happens stupidly often because I work in a video game themed bar and it's full of goony dudes.

Unrelated, I've tried ordering this one particular costume dress three different times now and still don't have it. The first company I tried immediately got back to me and said they didn't have my size in stock and offered a refund or exchange. I was disappointed, but took the refund. Then I found the dress somewhere else for less, so I ordered it there. I got an automated email saying it's on backorder. That was three weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything since. I just found it on Amazon (for more money, of course) and the seller claimed to have five in stock so I bit the bullet and ordered one. Now I'm anxious that this order will be cancelled or forgotten too.

I'm also waiting on a bunch of yarn and tea I ordered last week and the tracking isn't updating often enough. One package has said it's in Indiana for days, then suddenly it was in my city, on the other side of the country. It also says it should be delivered today but it's getting pretty late. :sigh:

I probably shouldn't be spending so carelessly, but my birthday is next week so gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brightman posted:

Despite having a newish gaming PC and running poo poo amazingly I super dislike the "pc master race" stuff. Mainly because anytime it comes up in earnest someone mentions all the tweaks that have to be made for games at launch in ini files and driver updates and poo poo, and the "pc master race" denies that's a thing. We all know very well that the majority of the time it's a thing
What games is this a thing for? I buy games through Steam and they just work (the few exceptions being older games that have some sort of problem with Windows 8 or 10).

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Tiggum posted:

What games is this a thing for? I buy games through Steam and they just work (the few exceptions being older games that have some sort of problem with Windows 8 or 10).

fallout 4

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I still cannot speak all of the languages.

This is probably first world because what loving third world farmers have the goddamn time to learn a second or third language, let alone whine about how rusty they are? The soybeans aren't going to milk themselves!

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.
My new running shoes fit great, but I don't particularly like the color scheme.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Brightman posted:

I never carry cash but similarly I cannot find a wallet I like. I had a Mighty Wallet (Tyvek paper wallet), but it looked horrible after 3 years, so now I'm back to my old leather wallet.

I had one of these because it was thin enough to fit into my jeans pocket (which is nothing to scoff at because women's jean pockets are downright infinitesimal). I replaced it with a standard bifold leather men's wallet, but it just isn't the same. :smith:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have two weeks off with absolutely no obligations but I'm just going to end up being bored.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Tiggum posted:

See? You're doing it right now, stop that.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Brightman posted:

See? You're doing it right now, stop that.

Well if your complaint is that older games aren't compatible with new versions of Windows, my PS3 games don't work on a PS4. At least on PC there's usually a way to get them working. I can't remember the last time I had to modify an ini or use some other hack to get a modern game working.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Monday_ posted:

Well if your complaint is that older games aren't compatible with new versions of Windows, my PS3 games don't work on a PS4. At least on PC there's usually a way to get them working. I can't remember the last time I had to modify an ini or use some other hack to get a modern game working.

Not just inis but driver bullshit, don't forget the driver bullshit. Also this is dependent on your hardware and maybe the threshold you have for janky mouse acceleration, fov, etc. Last ini I had to gently caress with was Fallout 4. Similar things happened with GTA5, and Batman is a whole...thing. So no, that's not my problem, my problem is people acting like this isn't something that exists.

Also it's an exaggeration, but seriously, acting like the game's thread isn't going to be filled with driver/ini/update bullshit posts for the first few days is insane.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Brightman posted:

Not just inis but driver bullshit, don't forget the driver bullshit. Also this is dependent on your hardware and maybe the threshold you have for janky mouse acceleration, fov, etc. Last ini I had to gently caress with was Fallout 4. Similar things happened with GTA5, and Batman is a whole...thing. So no, that's not my problem, my problem is people acting like this isn't something that exists.

Pretty sure, for most people, it isn't something that exists.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Statistically true because Nvidia has the larger market share, but there's still lots of people who have issues every release.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Tiggum posted:

Pretty sure, for most people, it isn't something that exists.

Got any stats on that? I mean if we check the Steam Hardware Survey it does look like most people are at least rocking Intel and Nvidia, and the popular options (but not overall majority) for other things are adequate for running a lot of games, except vram, that's sorely lacking. Most popular amount is just a gig, almost a quarter of the stats above that are just 2 gigs of vram which is sorta pushing it.

What's the last game you played at launch that "just work" as you put it? I have an i7-4790k, 16 gigs of ram, 970 gtx and still had to twiddle with Fallout's inis, because regardless of being able to run it at a solid 60 at max settings, the fov was still 80 with forced mouse acceleration. Is PC the best? Unquestionably. Is it perfect? gently caress. No.

FWP: My Roomba showed up but I can't find the loving goggly eyes I had set aside for it so now I can't laugh at it as easily while it cleans my floors.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I have never edited an ini file in my life. I've been playing Fallout 4 just fine?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Brightman posted:

What's the last game you played at launch that "just work" as you put it? I have an i7-4790k, 16 gigs of ram, 970 gtx and still had to twiddle with Fallout's inis, because regardless of being able to run it at a solid 60 at max settings, the fov was still 80 with forced mouse acceleration. Is PC the best? Unquestionably. Is it perfect? gently caress. No.

Most of them. Like, I have no idea whether any game I play runs at 60FPS or what the FOV is or what mouse acceleration does, and I'm pretty sure most people who play games are the same. That's some hardcore nerd poo poo. I used to make sure the screen resolution was right, but most games now just have that automatically detected, so I just leave the settings on the defaults and play the game.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I still cannot speak all of the languages.

This is probably first world because what loving third world farmers have the goddamn time to learn a second or third language, let alone whine about how rusty they are? The soybeans aren't going to milk themselves!

Many people know more than one language, first, second and third world. Only people who exist in places like Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, ect. learn only one language because that language is English. If you know English no reason to learn another. This is an English native speaker problem .

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Inzombiac posted:

Someone on the street looked at me.

If you are at Ohio State University, it could be considered sexual harassment. If I remember correctly, they consider staring as looking in someones direction for more than 3 seconds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shayu posted:

Many people know more than one language, first, second and third world. Only people who exist in places like Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, ect. learn only one language because that language is English. If you know English no reason to learn another. This is an English native speaker problem .

Canada learns 2.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Brightman posted:

Got any stats on that? I mean if we check the Steam Hardware Survey it does look like most people are at least rocking Intel and Nvidia, and the popular options (but not overall majority) for other things are adequate for running a lot of games, except vram, that's sorely lacking. Most popular amount is just a gig, almost a quarter of the stats above that are just 2 gigs of vram which is sorta pushing it.

FWP: My Roomba showed up but I can't find the loving goggly eyes I had set aside for it so now I can't laugh at it as easily while it cleans my floors.

I think this is less a 'pc gaming is bad' complaint and more a 'bethesda makes buggy games' complaint. More precisely 'Fallout 4 was buggy on release ergo all PC games released have to have the last 2% coded by the gamer in order to even run'.

My FWP is there are too many mods for Fallout New Vegas that I want to install.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
My FWP is that I'm so spoiled by mods, especially the extra music ones in new vegas, that I can't play and enjoy fallout 4 until the modders get off their butts and add all that in.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Brightman posted:

All of those games listed are console games that were poorly ported to the pc. So my statement stands true, that pc gaming is held back by consoles.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I finally reconnected with my childhood friend on Facebook, but he's a truther now and posts tips on how to defend american homeland :smithcloud:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

All of those games listed are console games that were poorly ported to the pc. So my statement stands true, that pc gaming is held back by consoles.

PC gaming is propped up by consoles.

Occasionally there's a gap and someone's foot slips.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I ran out of fucks. Maybe I ate too much turkey.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have to work today but am getting paid double time to sit around, play DS, cruise SA and eat an embarassing amount of food.

Now I'm poop-posting and maybe I'll go for a walk.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
There is a joystick I want to buy and if it was only $1.01 more expensive it would qualify for free same day shipping but as it stands if I want same day shipping I will have to pay $5.99 or wait one full day to get the joystick free. And for once in my life there isn't anything else that I can think of that I need at Amazon.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I tried to call Chase about my credit card and it was literally 20 or more ads one after the other until I gave up but I'm sure it went on even more. CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE WON! SWITCH TO T-MOBILE! Etc. Un-loving-believable. I tried to press 0 but some robot came on and said "you tried to use the keypad when you weren't supposed to" and it went back to the ads. Finally I gave up and called the business line and got a normal menu but holy poo poo, what the hell?

If you want some special offers go ahead and call 1-888-247-4080 you'll get a million of them.

E: oh yeah and my avatar randomly changed to this piece of poo poo and I'm really upset. Like did someone buy it for me? Couldn't they have bought red text instead?

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Nov 27, 2015

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

HOLY gently caress posted:

My wallet won't shut because there's too much money in it.

Also because it's kind of a lovely wallet that I really need to replace soon, but the cash doesn't help.

Also I can't seem to find a wallet I like enough to replace it with :argh:

Herschel

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I. loving. Hate. These new chip card readers. I was just at trader joes and pulled the card out in the middle of the transaction and the whole loving machine crashed for like 5 minutes and I was holding up the line because of this loving card poo poo.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
The stupid dress I've tried buying three times arrived today, and shipping was much faster than I expected! They sent me the wrong size and just slightly too small. :suicide:

Now to determine whether or not it's worth my time to contact the seller and send this back. This was the only Amazon seller that listed my size in stock, and I suspect those numbers are lies, especially since I just noticed it says five in stock no matter what size you pick. :sigh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

I. loving. Hate. These new chip card readers. I was just at trader joes and pulled the card out in the middle of the transaction and the whole loving machine crashed for like 5 minutes and I was holding up the line because of this loving card poo poo.

We've had chip and PIN cards here for years and I've never heard of anyone having this problem. The RFID ones we've got now are even better.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Tiggum posted:

We've had chip and PIN cards here for years and I've never heard of anyone having this problem. The RFID ones we've got now are even better.

Any one I've used here you have to stick the card in ONLY at the end of the transaction, not during, and if you pull it out before its done authorizing the machine gets all angry and you have to wait for it to reload. This TJs one was exceptionally lovely though.

E: scratch that the Target ones are fine but I have a Red card so maybe that's why. Every other store, though.

Also there's the issue where some stores take the chip and some don't, but they all have the machines with the chip reader so there's always a ton of confusion, for example you stick the card in and the cashier says "chip doesn't work here" or you swipe the card and actually you have to use the chip. Argh new technology.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Nov 28, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
A game I was really looking forward to got cancelled to make a "Free to play online survival action game, exclusive to the PS4". :what:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

Any one I've used here you have to stick the card in ONLY at the end of the transaction, not during

Why would you try to swipe your card before the end of the transaction? :confused:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Tiggum posted:

Why would you try to swipe your card before the end of the transaction? :confused:

Because you can? The machine literally says "swipe card at any time"

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Some POS machines allow that, but many don't, leading to customers who will stand at my register and impatiently swipe their cards several times before I've even finished scanning all of their items.

The thing has a goddamn screen. It lights up and tells you when to swipe your card.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I don't have access to a hair dryer and my freshly washed hair's turning into unmanageable ringlets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thin Privilege posted:

Any one I've used here you have to stick the card in ONLY at the end of the transaction, not during, and if you pull it out before its done authorizing the machine gets all angry and you have to wait for it to reload. This TJs one was exceptionally lovely though.

E: scratch that the Target ones are fine but I have a Red card so maybe that's why. Every other store, though.

Also there's the issue where some stores take the chip and some don't, but they all have the machines with the chip reader so there's always a ton of confusion, for example you stick the card in and the cashier says "chip doesn't work here" or you swipe the card and actually you have to use the chip. Argh new technology.

The rest of the first world has actually had those machines for a long rear end time now, so that one defies categorization a bit.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Avocados posted:

I finally reconnected with my childhood friend on Facebook, but he's a truther now and posts tips on how to defend american homeland :smithcloud:

I reconnected with mine and tried to set up a lunch for us. No reply, but a bit later she posted how she was angry at some retail worker about her dress, and "lady this baby ain't getting any smaller before my wedding!" So I found out she was pregnant and engaged because of a stupid rant. I tried to stay connected but no dice. The final straw was after I sent her kids their second or third birthday gift and realized I had to prompt her until she admitted she got it and thanked me. She had plenty of time to bitch about the "cashier monkeys" because they were too slow/rude/didn't call her maam or compliment her kids but no time for anything else. I don't talk with her anymore.

FWP: my fish are sick and several have been dying without any marks, some with bloody streaks, and only a few with spots today. The fish are all scaleless and medication is going to be impossible and I don't want them to all die.

FWP: we have too much stuff and I am the only one keeping the house clean and after a few days I just can't anymore and it gets worse until the "gently caress I don't care" breaks and I clean it up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I have a coupon good for half-off any item at the sports goods store that's only valid until the end of November, so if I want to use it I'll have to go tomorrow. But I really wanted to sleep in until noon instead.