Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I didn't think it was terrible or anything. I guess I've enjoyed reading it since it was the first real work of this whole genre of translated stuff that I picked up. It's been an interesting ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Cynic Jester posted:

That's pretty much where people stopped developing and numbers started increasing instead.

Power level is character development, right?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Remember when Linley sculpted?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I liked when he was desperately struggling to kill that king despite being considerably weaker.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

SerSpook posted:

Remember when Linley sculpted?

Remember when he first found Bloodviolet and there were all these little hints throughout the story that it was going to be really important and then nothing happened?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Remember when Wharton was super talented?

I did enjoy CD, it just seemed much better while Linley had a real core goal beyond get stronk. The Radiant Church were cool villains! Zassler was cool too!

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

jwang posted:

From what I can tell from IET works, a lot of the time it's just a constant escalation till the point where he has no idea where to go, and then try to figure an out for everything, usually with a Super Primordial Saiyan Ultra Voltron Deus Ex Machina of some sort. I read Coiling Dragon because it's somewhat okay to pass the time with, the Stellar Transformation because it's tied somewhat to Coiling Dragon. Nine Cauldrons is somewhat okay simply on the merit that it's shorter, but overall his works always similar patterns that gets tiresome. After you've read 3 of IET, it's of my opinion that you need to move on to another author, specifically one that doesn't follow his template.

IET is actually really solid- as long as you are aware that he might have big dip in quality in later arcs.However, both his world-building, character and arcs are really decent until you get to the "and nothing happen anymore".

So, in CD's case, everything's decent until you get to the god part. Desolate Era actually stays good for a much longer while book-wise, but I don't know if it's any good post book 23 (as it also does something like 'going away' and I was wary so stopped reading). Lord Xue Ying, so far, has a very solid plot.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

There were some good parts after he became a god, but necropolis of the gods was pretty much the high point of the story. I always wonder what happened to that scorpion bro, the whole setup seems sort of unfair to magical animals unless divine artifacts can morph into animal friendly variants. Imagine a scorpion with a flail attached to its tail or something.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
My favorite part of Coiling Dragon is easily the duel with Olivier in the O'brien Empire. It's basically the point where Linley reaches the peak of the power scale that they established from the very beginning of the story. Only after that battle do we start to learn about "The Next Level" of power - Prime Saints. Then we get the different levels of Gods, then we learn about the different levels of Fiends, then we learn about Paragons, etc. Your basic power creep bullshit. But his strength when he fights Olivier is at least within the realm which the story laid out from the very first chapter.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I guess Krytyk felt bad about how long it took to get chapter 5 up, because the epilogue and afterword of Volume 6 of OSO are already done. Mostly just a hook for the next volume. I was kind of surprised that Yun forgot to give Sei the ring he made for her though.

Also I have basically been diving through LNs in between studying for finals and found out that Evil God Average's translation is done. I remember thinking it strayed a little too far from its initial premise at the beginning of the second half, but it turns out it goes right back to that afterwards. It's good and knew when to stop, so I would recommend it!

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Urgh.... There is a lot of fun stuff in ISSTH, but I really, really, really dislike how many "THIS IS THE ONLY ONE" stuff Meng Hao gets. Whether it's 13 cycles on Qi,10 of foundation, perfect foundation/core, that Parrot, being the meat jelly master, etc.....

All those things are 'it was never seen before' level. It would be so much easier to take if all those things had other people getting them (even if it was just different people), just very rarely. But noooo :( And it happens all the drat time for Meng Hao, which is really frustrating.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Not that it's necessarily born out by the actual story, but I get the impression that the world of ISSTH is stuffed to the goddamn brim with unique magical bullshit, and Meng Hao just started in the most backwater of backwaters. Like, back in the State of Zhao, there were people who were fairly impressive, or had some kind of reputation for themselves because holy poo poo guys, they're in FOUNDATION ESTABLISHMENT, except in come the Southern Domain cultivators who just point out "ahahaha you guys are all such hilarious garbage, look, their flying swords are all made of tin! They think Foundation Establishment is a big deal!" It's completely true, too--outside of Patriarch Reliance, the entire State is really puny.

So Meng Hao makes it to the top of the State of Zhao and he's got this sweet FLYING RAIN DRAGON SPIRIT and MANA-DRAINING SWORDS and BUTT EXPLOSIONS, and now he is narrowly qualified to hack it in the Southern Domain. And he goes there. And because he is a quick thinker, outrageously lucky, and also determined to be the absolute strongest, he manages to make his way up the ranks, and he forms his Dao Pillars, picks up another random legacy of BLOOD, and while he's got more artifacts than most people, pretty much everyone he runs across has some super sweet artifact or technique or whatever going on. And yeah, the fact that he's maxing out his Cultivation at every rank is phenomenal, but because of how much of a gap there is between tiers, that doesn't count for as much as it might seem like. And now not only are we starting to see guys from other regions that make the Southern Domain start to look a little puny, we've got a guy from an entire different planet who eats Flying Rain Dragons for breakfast and you realize that not only is the Southern Domain insignificant compared to those other regions, the entire *planet* is insignificant. He'll travel to another world and there'll probably be people with perfect foundations all over the place or something.

Basically the world is just absurd and I love it. If you're a cultivator and you *don't* have some super unique special thing going on, you're doing something seriously wrong.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
How do you know his peers and opponents don't have cool one-of-a-kind stuff? Other people's treasures and legacies are unimportant to the plot until they interact with Meng Hao.

For example, Meng Hao has made good use of treasures he's stolen from other people like the feather fan and blood vine. It's a very exaggerated setting so I don't mind it much personally.

Hell, the latest chapter is Meng Hao trying to avoid a fight because he knows that he is outclassed despite his special snowflake advantages.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

There's a bunch of unique stuff other people have. Every former member of the Reliance Sect Meng Hao knows of has a unique technique/item/ghost-parasite, except Chen Fen, and he has a natural resistance to Ultimate Vexation.

Meng Hao just has a lot more unique powers because he's the MC and he needs all that firepower to invade heaven and kill god or something. I mean he was pretty much told in the latest chapter he has to face a group of lich lords and the god-king of his planet.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Not to jump down your throat for that legit criticism. I just really like ISSTH.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Most cultivators spend their lives meditating in a cave and pursuing the safest path to immortality.

Meng Hao runs all over the place getting in fights, stealing poo poo from people who could easily kill him, and doing lots and lots of weird drugs.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Not that it's necessarily born out by the actual story, but I get the impression that the world of ISSTH is stuffed to the goddamn brim with unique magical bullshit, and Meng Hao just started in the most backwater of backwaters. Like, back in the State of Zhao, there were people who were fairly impressive, or had some kind of reputation for themselves because holy poo poo guys, they're in FOUNDATION ESTABLISHMENT, except in come the Southern Domain cultivators who just point out "ahahaha you guys are all such hilarious garbage, look, their flying swords are all made of tin! They think Foundation Establishment is a big deal!" It's completely true, too--outside of Patriarch Reliance, the entire State is really puny.

So Meng Hao makes it to the top of the State of Zhao and he's got this sweet FLYING RAIN DRAGON SPIRIT and MANA-DRAINING SWORDS and BUTT EXPLOSIONS, and now he is narrowly qualified to hack it in the Southern Domain. And he goes there. And because he is a quick thinker, outrageously lucky, and also determined to be the absolute strongest, he manages to make his way up the ranks, and he forms his Dao Pillars, picks up another random legacy of BLOOD, and while he's got more artifacts than most people, pretty much everyone he runs across has some super sweet artifact or technique or whatever going on. And yeah, the fact that he's maxing out his Cultivation at every rank is phenomenal, but because of how much of a gap there is between tiers, that doesn't count for as much as it might seem like. And now not only are we starting to see guys from other regions that make the Southern Domain start to look a little puny, we've got a guy from an entire different planet who eats Flying Rain Dragons for breakfast and you realize that not only is the Southern Domain insignificant compared to those other regions, the entire *planet* is insignificant. He'll travel to another world and there'll probably be people with perfect foundations all over the place or something.

Basically the world is just absurd and I love it. If you're a cultivator and you *don't* have some super unique special thing going on, you're doing something seriously wrong.

Yes- and those mana draining swords and item replication and exploding butts and qi condensation great circle and blood legacy and... those are all things that are stronger than spirit-severing adepts have. Now, most Xanxia stories have ONE of those- or at least most decent ones.

ISSTH has so many good things in so many ways that it's more frustrating to me that it never has 'Meng Hao gets lots of good loot but it's still loot that other people in the setting can get' and not 'oh hey he constantly gets things that the strongest beings of the setting want'.

brainwrinkle posted:

How do you know his peers and opponents don't have cool one-of-a-kind stuff? Other people's treasures and legacies are unimportant to the plot until they interact with Meng Hao.

For example, Meng Hao has made good use of treasures he's stolen from other people like the feather fan and blood vine. It's a very exaggerated setting so I don't mind it much personally.

Other treasures by other people are either a°) treasures that are very weak and just there for a couple levels, b°) treasures that are there for Meng Hao to steal and they kept secret from everyone else so Meng Hao can be the only one to have it.

quote:

Hell, the latest chapter is Meng Hao trying to avoid a fight because he knows that he is outclassed despite his special snowflake advantages.
Yup, ISSTH actually has a lot of thinking parts from Meng Hao as well as some parts where he genuinely struggle. As I said, I am complaining because I like it.

Avulsion posted:

Most cultivators spend their lives meditating in a cave and pursuing the safest path to immortality.

Meng Hao runs all over the place getting in fights, stealing poo poo from people who could easily kill him, and doing lots and lots of weird drugs.

Are you joking? We constantly see that most cultivators risk their lives as much if not more than Meng Hao.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The world isn't fair and Meng Hao is the protagonist because it's ultimately unfair in his favor.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Arkeus posted:

Are you joking? We constantly see that most cultivators risk their lives as much if not more than Meng Hao.

Most cultivators risk their lives when they go outside, but they spend the majority of their time in a safe place under the protection of their sect or clan. When they go outside there is danger, but they can still rely on their friends, or their sect's reputation, or high level artifacts that have been passed down from their elders to help mitigate that danger.

Meng Hao spent years running around on his own acquiring battle experience, powerful magical artifacts, and mortal enemies.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Arkeus posted:

Other treasures by other people are either a°) treasures that are very weak and just there for a couple levels, b°) treasures that are there for Meng Hao to steal and they kept secret from everyone else so Meng Hao can be the only one to have it.
Li Fugui has spirit teeth and his sect intentionally assembled a harem for him. He cultivates via eating stuff and his job is to have sex.

Wang Youcai suddenly stopped aging after he got pushed off a mountain, is he a zombie or something? Who knows, but it seems pretty unique and the Blood Demon sect thinks he's good enough to be a chosen.

Xu Qing (with the help of Meng Hao) ate a millennia old ghost and now is ranked high enough in the Black Sieve sect to give orders to people at the Nascent Soul stage.

Other people have their own things going on, Meng Hao just ends up with all this stuff because he's the MC and 1) narrative causality means he pretty much has to end up with these things and 2) as the MC we only have his POV and so we know about his secrets.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ISSTH sounds like pretty bad and all of these justifications for its protagonist appearing to be a wish-fulfillment worst case scenario make it sound even worse.

How much of My Disciple Died Yet Again has been translated?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Chapter 37 is the latest. It's on Zhao Yu version 2.0, and the first major arc is still picking up speed. It's picking up a good head of steam though, and soon it'll be full speed ahead on the lampoon train.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Perhaps I'm spoiled by the blastron Kumoko translation and the ISSTH translation, but I find the My Disciple Died Yet Again translation rather stilted. It's very literal. More localization for the honorifics and slang would be nice.

The story is entertaining enough as of Ch 12, but I don't have a good feel for the characters yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

ISSTH sounds like pretty bad and all of these justifications for its protagonist appearing to be a wish-fulfillment worst case scenario make it sound even worse.

How much of My Disciple Died Yet Again has been translated?

Well, aside from power levels Meng Hao's life has mostly been pretty miserable. The violet fate sect has been a huge change for him, what with how fulfilling he finds alchemy and how people respect his abilities instead of trying to murder him all the time. But even then it is all based on concealing his identity. I'm sure Pill Demon doesn't give a gently caress, but the rest of the sect absolutely will.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

He's actually pretty safe from everyone except the Black Sieve sect. All his other grudges are pretty much seen as meaningless slapfights by anyone in power, stealing Ultimate Vexation isn't .

I'm guessing he's about to get exposed again, he pretty much has to fight now if he wants 'Fang Mu' to survive and I think core formation is supposed to come with more tribulation lightning.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Algid posted:

He's actually pretty safe from everyone except the Black Sieve sect. All his other grudges are pretty much seen as meaningless slapfights by anyone in power, stealing Ultimate Vexation isn't .

I'm guessing he's about to get exposed again, he pretty much has to fight now if he wants 'Fang Mu' to survive and I think core formation is supposed to come with more tribulation lightning.

Safe, yes. No one in the violet fate sect is gonna go up against Pill Demon directly, and that dude is very protective toward his disciples. But that doesn't mean his situation won't become a lot less comfortable when they find out that the person they already considered the living incarnation of deceit has been deceiving them.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Safe, yes. No one in the violet fate sect is gonna go up against Pill Demon directly, and that dude is very protective toward his disciples. But that doesn't mean his situation won't become a lot less comfortable when they find out that the person they already considered the living incarnation of deceit has been deceiving them.

Not really. Like, seriously, Fang Mu's poistion now isn't mediocre or just 'powerful'. You also have to keep in mind that a poo poo load of people admire Meng Hao. By the time Meng Hao was running away in Song, half the sects had decided to get him in the sect instead of simply stealing the Sublime Scripture. Him revealing himself as Meng Hao would only mean "He gets more famous" and would only elevate his status even further if that's possible. It's.. not, given he probably is considered above all the Dao Children currently.

My big issue currently is why the gently caress he didn't give the sublime scripture technique to Pill Demon, as even in-character that makes sense. I guess he just wasn't in a hurry to do it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
See, I just plain disagree. Outside of the violet fate sect, sure, lots of people respect Meng Hao. But the violet fate sect has used him as an object lesson for over a decade now. People don't like being lied to, and finding out that the person who lied to them is the disreputable schemer they have heard about for so long means they will interpret it very badly. Sure, some of them will see it as "oh look at how awesome he is", but others will just assume that he cheated somehow because that is all they know about Meng Hao.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The only people who still care about that are 2 dudes who aren't even chosen, even Chu Yuyan respects him (while also hating him). Eccentric Song already got over Meng Hao killing all his pets, Wu Dingqiu probably doesn't care that 2 nobodies got tricked.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Algid posted:

The only people who still care about that are 2 dudes who aren't even chosen, even Chu Yuyan respects him (while also hating him). Eccentric Song already got over Meng Hao killing all his pets, Wu Dingqiu probably doesn't care that 2 nobodies got tricked.

He doesn't care that two nobodies got tricked, but he will probably care that he got tricked.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

chu yuyan is the one i'd be most concerned about tbh, can't imagine how livid she'd be finding out the truth

but yeah him getting accepted as pill demon's legacy apprentice kinda puts him off-limits altogether, because who the hell is going to want to piss off the current greatest alchemist around? he's not worth the consequences for anyone actually powerful, and the people close to his level of cultivation would have to be retarded to take that kind of risk

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The thing about Chu Yuyan is that the reason she hates Meng Hao is also the reason she's attracted to him, which is that he's king rear end in a top hat of shitlord mountain and doesn't treat her like a princess unlike everyone else she's ever known.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I dunno if the black sieve sect is willing to openly go to war over Meng Hao, but even if they are not he still won't be able to go outside without them trying to gank him. But then, this all assumes that he goes back to his sect after his identity is revealed. It will probably be some big public spectacle instead, after which Meng Hao escapes or is forcibly whisked away.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

I dunno if the black sieve sect is willing to openly go to war over Meng Hao, but even if they are not he still won't be able to go outside without them trying to gank him. But then, this all assumes that he goes back to his sect after his identity is revealed. It will probably be some big public spectacle instead, after which Meng Hao escapes or is forcibly whisked away.

The Black Sieve can't gank him if he goes outside. That would be like Ganking a Dao Child each time he goes outside because he knows stuff/whatever. This is basically a declaration of war.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

It's only a declaration of war if you get caught.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ha, so much for all of those theories. Meng Hao ditched the violet fate sect on his own, without them ever learning his identity.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Ha, so much for all of those theories. Meng Hao ditched the violet fate sect on his own, without them ever learning his identity.

Pretty sure he's only ditching them so they can't be flattened when he kills this Ji guy. It'll be interesting seeing where it goes from here.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Aw bollocks. Seems like Binggo&Corp dropped Ze Tian Ji? They were doing a great job at translating and Ze Tian Ji seems to be one of the few web/light novels that has writing worth a drat so the translation quality actually makes a difference. I was avoiding reading the pastebin translation cause it didn't seem all that great and hoping for something better but I guess there's no improved version coming up soon.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

It's pretty clear he ditched them because the Ji clan is going to learn he is the one who killed that guy, so he doesn't want to cause a war between Violet Sect/Ji. As such they are totally going to learn his identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh, skythewood has started translating a new series, wonder if it is any good...

quote:

From the outside, she may look like a heroine, but beneath that layer, her real identity was a perverted sow. I learned that Kumiko was just acting like a pure ojou-san after a certain incident, and she started following me around at an increasing rate since then.

The fact Kumiko chased me around everywhere made me glad that she and I were not in the same class. I like pure and beautiful girls, but a clingy bitch wasn’t my thing.

“Kumiko really felt scared!”
“Shut up, you rotten whore.”

Nope!

• Locked thread