Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nielsm posted:

If you want contrast on your film you should develop it harder, and definitely not stand dev it. In particular, increase agitation, and possibly also time. Don't increase temperature, that just makes heavier grain. It might make sense to change dilution on some developers.

I got crazy contrast doing regular stand dev but agitating halfway through. YMMV

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Has anybody here used ektar for night photography? I'd like to try it out, and I was wondering if somebody had an idea about what sort of steps I should take to correct for reciprocity failure.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Tony Two Bapes posted:

Has anybody here used ektar for night photography? I'd like to try it out, and I was wondering if somebody had an idea about what sort of steps I should take to correct for reciprocity failure.

I haven't (Portra 400 forever) but APUG has, of course: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=722024

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shot some Tri-X 400 at 3200, developed it for 5 minutes in Xtol stock at 28 deg C, expected some massive grain. The result is actually quite fine grain.

Everything I thought I knew, is wrong?!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Sorry guys....

KEH sale today. 20% all film gear. Code: FLASH

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

Sorry guys....

KEH sale today. 20% all film gear. Code: FLASH

WOOOOOO :bubblewoop:

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Uh oh, I just bought 80 expired disposable cameras for $20, need to think of a fun project...

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

himajinga posted:

need to think of a fun project...

Film yourself eating 80 cameras.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

himajinga posted:

Uh oh, I just bought 80 expired disposable cameras for $20, need to think of a fun project...

Learning to process your own C41 sounds like a fun project.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Chain them to various posts and signs around town, then come back to collect them in a month.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Sounds like you have 80 DIY electrocution pranks to play on your friends

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

I think I'm gonna take a thousand daily pictures of my partner's sleeping face and not tell her until I have it all hanging in a gallery somewhere, or maybe a month in just start anonymously mailing them to her at work

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

img018 by Jonathan Taylor, on Flickr

Not sure how I feel about this one.

I shot it on Portra 400 but didn't like the colors or framing, so I cropped it to 1x1 and made an attempt at a black and white conversion in Lightroom. I burned the background in and dodged the people in the foreground a little but maybe it's too much?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

Film yourself eating 80 cameras.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for this since I have no idea about any of this, but recently I found about 20 of these rolls of film at my mom's house from the 80s and early 90s.

I have no idea what was on most of them (although some have dates and events written on them, so I have a basic idea). I wanted to get them developed for her as a nice surprise, but it's proving to be difficult. One of the only places in town that I could find that still developed film sent them away for 2 weeks only for them to come back and inexplicably say that the service was not available for this film.

First of all, how bullshit is this? From my limited googling it seems to be all the same developing process as other more modern film, but is it possible that a lab wouldn't have the equipment to open the container and get the film out properly? Or did they screw up and just send them back because they're idiots.

Second, it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to mail these away to get developed, and if so are there good places to send them that aren't going to cost me an arm and a leg. I'm in Canada if that matters.

Third, will this likely be worth my time and money? How likely is it that I'll be able to get usable photos out of all of this considering they're from 20-30 years ago and were basically stored in a container in a dresser drawer the whole time.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Asiina posted:

First of all, how bullshit is this? From my limited googling it seems to be all the same developing process as other more modern film, but is it possible that a lab wouldn't have the equipment to open the container and get the film out properly? Or did they screw up and just send them back because they're idiots.

Little bit from column A, little bit from column B. It's the same C-41 process film as anything else, but most labs these days aren't equipped to handle the (quite tiny) film.

Asiina posted:

Second, it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to mail these away to get developed, and if so are there good places to send them that aren't going to cost me an arm and a leg. I'm in Canada if that matters.

Blue Moon Camera will do it for a pretty nominal fee, so your biggest expense would be a small box and postage.

edit: Lomo has some recommendations, too, but like many things Lomo they look quite expensive for what they are. /edit

Asiina posted:

Third, will this likely be worth my time and money? How likely is it that I'll be able to get usable photos out of all of this considering they're from 20-30 years ago and were basically stored in a container in a dresser drawer the whole time.

You'll probably get recognizable results. Kodak consumer-grade film is designed with long shelf-life in mind, and I've developed rolls that have sat around since the mid 1960s in worse conditions (also a dresser drawer, but in South Carolina). That said, I wouldn't expect anything "good" - 110 cameras were usually pretty terrible and the tiny little negatives don't help.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 19, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy hell some old 110 film.

I think the lomo crowd still shoots this but I don't know of many places that still develop it here in the states. No idea about Canada. It likely got sent back to you because they just don't have the equipment to develop it since it's a different size of strip of film from 35mm.

I would tend to think they are still salvageable, but it's likely going to be at least somewhat costly and you're not guaranteed to get great prints from it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice. It looks like this would cost upwards of $600 at a minimum and that's definitely out of my price range. A shame, it would have been nice to get those developed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Asiina posted:

Thanks for the advice. It looks like this would cost upwards of $600 at a minimum and that's definitely out of my price range. A shame, it would have been nice to get those developed.

If you have 20 rolls of it you should probably try asking for a special quote on getting it developed. I think a big part of the reason they charge much is that they have to do uncommon formats in small batches, but 20 rolls is a reasonably sized batch I'd say.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Asiina posted:

Check out the Darkroom https://thedarkroom.com/product/film-developing/
They'll process/scan/upload for $14 per roll of 110

nop
Mar 31, 2010
Not sure if you can mail them in but Lozeau will develop 110 film for $6 a roll.
https://www.lozeau.com/en-CA/laboratory/specialized-services-in-store/development-and-film-prints/

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

nop posted:

Not sure if you can mail them in but Lozeau will develop 110 film for $6 a roll.
https://www.lozeau.com/en-CA/laboratory/specialized-services-in-store/development-and-film-prints/

I have one local shop that I'll try to negotiate some sort of batch price and if that doesn't work I'll probably go with this.

Thanks for the suggestions, if I manage to pull this off and anything interesting comes out of it I'll be sure to show it, but I think it'll mostly be snapshots from birthday parties and weddings.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Asiina posted:

I have one local shop that I'll try to negotiate some sort of batch price and if that doesn't work I'll probably go with this.

Thanks for the suggestions, if I manage to pull this off and anything interesting comes out of it I'll be sure to show it, but I think it'll mostly be snapshots from birthday parties and weddings.

Good stuff. Even if you think the pictures aren't of general interest, there are probably some cool things on any decades-old roll of film, and the thread to show this kind of thing is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699945

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
What's the best way to store shot but undeveloped film? I'm going on a shooting trip and will probably come back with several rolls that will take some time to be developed. Where should I keep them, the fridge, the freezer?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Primo Itch posted:

What's the best way to store shot but undeveloped film? I'm going on a shooting trip and will probably come back with several rolls that will take some time to be developed. Where should I keep them, the fridge, the freezer?

fridge

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
MF Portra 400.

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

IMG_0265 by Daniel Smith, on Flickr

Got my first roll of film developed

I think I like film and I also think I need a scanner

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

SorePotato posted:

Got my first roll of film developed

I think I like film and I also think I need a scanner

Welcome to the club. Pro tip, start with an Epson v700 and you won't have to upgrade once you eventually go crazy enough to shoot large format.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I took a stocktake of my mess of a film stash and fixed it all with ziplock bags so I can sleep better:

A couple of gems I'd forgotten about, some 35mm Fuji Pro 800z, Adox CHS 100 in 120 and a roll of Rollei Ortho 25 also in 120.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

How much 120 do you still shoot?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Ilford 100

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

bobmarleysghost posted:

How much 120 do you still shoot?

I still shoot it quite often, it's just usually one roll at a time in 6x9 format.

I've still got 20+ rolls of Acros and 20+ rolls of Foma 400 in 120 left that I bought in bulk years ago that I still need to get through.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Did you set sharpening to 100000% or something?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Didn't do any edits myself. These should be strait scans from the camera shop.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Didn't do any edits myself. These should be strait scans from the camera shop.

That explains it, because minilab scans always have sharpening turned up to 11.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Asiina posted:

Not sure what it would cost so ship to Citizens Photo but they also do 110 film dev/scan by mail for the same price as 35mm.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

himajinga posted:

Not sure what it would cost so ship to Citizens Photo but they also do 110 film dev/scan by mail for the same price as 35mm.

Are you sure they do 110? I've asked in person and been turned down and their website doesn't list it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Having some weird problems and I have no idea what I'm doing (both in general and wrong)

Most recent roll has about the lower 1/4 significantly lighter than the top 3/4.

(yes, they are supposed to be that underexposed)

With previous rolls (TriX, hp5) I'm getting some weird spots. Usually white, and usually on the bottom of the film as well.

120 film
Rodinal 1:100
Ilford rapidfixer
formulary hypo clear
patterson system 4 (2x 135 or 1x 120)

It's probabl something incredibly minor that I didn't think of, like the reel has to be higher up on the pole or lower on the pole or upside down or something.