Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Bobnumerotres posted:

everywhere, freely, as a hugely overpowered rear end in a top hat and it's great. there are some really nasty puzzle rooms hidden in early areas and it's genius

just do it in hard mode. going through zero mission again knowing where stuff is is really fun, and zero mission has the most interesting hard difficulty in the series

I want to do that. I'm going to reload my save and do that. Also I wanna give my final verdict on this game after playing it twice - once as a retard shild and once as an extremely intelligent adult - It kicks rear end. IT' a really good Metroid game and I got to think 'I don't think I'm supposed to be here yet but gently caress it' at least a handful of times so thats epic win. its good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you play Zero Mission hard mode, you take double damage from everything, plus you have half as much health from energy tanks. If you collect 100% of the items, the final boss hits three times as hard and has three times as much health.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

You also get less missiles and super missiles.

It's getting hard to wait for the wii u version, I might just play it today.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

You also get less missiles and super missiles.

It's getting hard to wait for the wii u version, I might just play it today.

be strong with me. i felt like this a few months ago when it came out in europe.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: i got sixty nine lol :D

spicy

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

I've played through Zero Mission twice since it has come out on the Wii U here.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

farsel posted:

I've played through Zero Mission twice since it has come out on the Wii U here.

gently caress you fartsmell

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

...and hell, I suppose going for a third wouldn't hurt.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I said Zero Mission into the mirror 3 times and it did not appear. I just want to ballspark again.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

You can shinespark while in morphball form in Metroid: Zero Mission.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Evil Eagle posted:

You can shinespark while in morphball form in Metroid: Zero Mission.

can you really do this.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

can you really do this.

you just need the speed booster and the jumpball/highjump. Some of the best sequence breaks and shortcuts use it and they're really satisfying to pull off. When I played through last weekend I accidentally forgot a whole boss because I always get super missiles really early by ballsparking

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's one power bomb that requires a diagonal ball spark from a very specific position, that's harder than that missile tank in maridia in Super. You know the one.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Ralp posted:

you just need the speed booster and the jumpball/highjump. Some of the best sequence breaks and shortcuts use it and they're really satisfying to pull off. When I played through last weekend I accidentally forgot a whole boss because I always get super missiles really early by ballsparking

im going to play this game again.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

diagonal ballspark

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ralp posted:

there's one power bomb that requires a diagonal ball spark from a very specific position, that's harder than that missile tank in maridia in Super. You know the one.

This power bomb upgrade was my first experience with video game induced prodromal schizophrenia

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

This power bomb upgrade was my first experience with video game induced prodromal schizophrenia

I frowned when I remembered this just now lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theres an endgame puzzle in zero mission that requires you to ballspark across a whole bunch of rooms and its awesome

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Zero Mission is the best at gameplay for me. My friends watched me play in college and were questioning how I could remember all of the item locations. Most of the endgame powerups are tough to get but highly rewarding (looking at you, post-gravity suit energy tanks). Really wish this came to the US. I can't play NES Metroid after playing this. I never liked NES Metroid at all. It's just boring and very samey.

Fusion has the best bosses I've seen in a Metroid game and I regularly replay it on 1% mode (skip all items EXCEPT ONE...) just to fight those bosses again.

Super just has THE BEST atmosphere. So dark and desolate, with the best ending. My personal favorite all around. I replay it 100% at least twice a year.

The Prime series, while fun and really good, are too long for me. I always try to 100% games, and I went through the trilogy on the Wii with a guide and got 100% scans and items, then shelved it. Great games, but hard to replay for me. Hunters is ok, I GUESS... Pinball is weird yet kinda fun.

Metroid 2, for some reason is somewhere near the middle. I like replaying it, but the constantly dark atmosphere is just draining. This is fixed, however, in the COMPLETELY redone AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake). It's Metroid 2 but with a Zero Mission / Fusion skin. I'm also finding it hard to go back to Metroid 2 GB when I have this completely redone game sitting there. It's only up to area 6 or so as of now, but it is WELL WORTH the play. Benny D, you should try playing this for the thread. I'd love to hear your reaction. :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I play MP1 like once or twice a year with 100% pickups but I never scan anything.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a trick to the Prime pickups, I think there's just two in the game, where you have to balance in morph ball along a narrow winding catwalk? those were so annoying for me that I wonder if the cheap nunchuks I bought are deficient because I had to just inch Samus really really slowly in the cardinal directions.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Play it with a GameCube

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ralp posted:

is there a trick to the Prime pickups, I think there's just two in the game, where you have to balance in morph ball along a narrow winding catwalk? those were so annoying for me that I wonder if the cheap nunchuks I bought are deficient because I had to just inch Samus really really slowly in the cardinal directions.

That's it yeah. They're just little tricky fake super monkey ball levels

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ralp posted:

I guess just uhhhhhh get good? Scrub? Scrub is bad? Bad at games scrub? Scrubby bad at game?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[jumps up and down, waving arms and shouting "scrub" to block view of completely undefeated Metal Gear Rex on screen]

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will NOT get good.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I remember one where the camera swings wildly at an inopportune point and it made me angry.

The twist on that concept was after you fight the invisible drone and have to navigate that maze beneath the floor, where instead of falling the danger is getting shocked by the walls. That one was tense because the stretch before that is really grueling and I was always low on health by that point.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 24, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is that metroid 2 remake finally out?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
someone made a romhack with project base and i haven't gotten around to trying it yet but here it is

http://www.hyper.metroidconstruction.com/

project base pushes super metroid a lot closer to zero mission in ways and it's cool to even play the original game with just the gameplay changes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm playing strider 2014 and it's another bad Metroidvania but a pretty fun action platformer. I wish it was just a series of levels instead of trying to pretend I care enough about the world full of the same 6 gray buildings to go back and explore areas with my new moves.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I'm playing strider 2014 and it's another bad Metroidvania but a pretty fun action platformer. I wish it was just a series of levels instead of trying to pretend I care enough about the world full of the same 6 gray buildings to go back and explore areas with my new moves.

before the final area theres a warning that you wont be able to go back and pick up everything and i was just like "they're keeping track?"

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

In Training posted:

Are the boss battles good? Or fighting in general?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Blackheart posted:

Are the boss battles good? Or fighting in general?

They're fun, even if They're all fairly easy. Well the game is in general, since your sword can knock back bullets and you get so much health and energy from killing guys you can just hold right and spam the sword and kill everything. I like the bosses with more involved patterns and they often have pseudo bullet hell style dodging sections. The one I'm on now made me rage quit after 3 tries though because you take unavoidable damage during one attack, which is very little. Then the same looking projectiles later in the fight can one shot you and it pissed me off.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I honestly wouldn't recommend the game, but I got it in that Capcom humble bundle and have had some fun with it. It's super short too

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i got it on psn+ but wasnt much of a fan really

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

you can swing as fast as you can press X in strider which is cool but yeah it's just kind of an okay game. at some point youre just fighting recolored enemies with more health and it's ugh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

you can swing as fast as you can press X in strider which is cool but yeah it's just kind of an okay game. at some point youre just fighting recolored enemies with more health and it's ugh

i just quit on the last part of the game which was like the 10th gauntlet of enemies and you have two little health pods for the length of the fight which you are supposed to use sparingly, but some enemies in the first wave require you to use the homing ranged sword and they immediately target the health pods get used. it was gay so i quit, likely 5 minutes before the end of the game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Goat posted:

someone made a romhack with project base and i haven't gotten around to trying it yet but here it is

http://www.hyper.metroidconstruction.com/

project base pushes super metroid a lot closer to zero mission in ways and it's cool to even play the original game with just the gameplay changes

This is AIDS. It's really easy to gently caress up and make the game impossible to progress in, going right when you land on Zebes means you won't be able to progress. Going left is confusing because everything is hated behind powerbomb doors. I still can't find any progress on the right. Getting over there you have to do a sequence break wall jump. That area is filled with a special kind of wall crawler that can't be killed with a normal beam and will track your movements. So I dunno what the gently caress I need to do. The game does an Other M ripoff story and includes the naked samus Sprite on death. It's a disaster

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
it's almost as if every super metroid hack is terrible because it expects that you're an expert in every single speedrunning trick and glitch from the original game and also that you made the hack and as such know where everything is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Nah, Super Metroid Redesign is some good poo poo imo.

• Locked thread