Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Truspeaker posted:

So I tried to buy Pokemon SMD off the eShop, and it seemed to work, it downloaded and everything, but it crashes before getting to any intro videos/the main menu and forces the system to restart. Ive literally never seen any other game on the 3ds break like this, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix it. Ive run the repair tool from the eShop, Ive redownloaded it twice, I formatted the SD card (after backing things up on my computer), nothing changes. Other games previously downloaded do work correctly still.

I assume its not a problem with the game itself, but something with either the SD card or the 3DS, but I have no idea where to turn to next. Has anyone had any issues like this, and were they able to fix it?

I guess there's nothing left to do but try it with a different SD. You can try calling Nintendo. At the very least they'll probably give you a refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you dont have an alternate SD card, delete the game and download a free demo of something from the eShop. It'll write to the same sectors of the card that way and then you'll have an idea as to whether or not its gone dodgy.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

So what are the games that are going on the 50% of sell in the USA.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I tried with a different SD card, and had the exact same issue. Trying now with downloading something else, but I made the mistake of that something else being Stretchmo which is very charming. Thanks for the ideas, I have a feeling contacting Nintendo support is the only way to fix it unfortunately.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Jarogue posted:

I want to know this as well, it'd be nice to be able to plan a budget for this stuff.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Jarogue posted:

I'm gonna grab 15% off eshop cards at Best Buy to make the deals a little better. There's a bunch of stuff I wanna grab, like Wind Waker HD, so hopefully some stuff will be marked down a good bit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You'll know in about 8 hours, I think.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Natsume's games are on sale already, here are the prices

3DS

A-Train 3D - $9.99
Brave Tank Hero - $2.49
Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove 3D - $9.99
Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove Mini - $1.99
Gotcha Racing - $2.49
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning - $19.99
Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley - $19.99
Harvest Moon - Tale of Two Towns - $9.99
Hometown Story - $9.99
Reel Fishing Paradise 3D - $9.99
Reel Fishing 3D Paradise Mini - $1.99
Yumi's Odd Odyssey - $9.99

Wii U

Alphadia Genesis - $7.49
Brave Tank Hero - $2.99
Ninja Strike: Dangerous Dash - $2.99

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mordiceius posted:

It's funny, I enjoyed XCOM a lot more than Fire Emblem Awakening. I think it was because in XCOM, all my soldiers were generic characters, so death didn't phase me beyond the pain of loosing high ranked folks. Fire Emblem Awakening bothered me since everyone is named characters, I would have extreme anxiety about taking anyone into battle.

Just turn off permadeath then, problem solved.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

All of those except Yumi's Odd Odyssey, looks like poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A-Train 3D is a good city sim and also the only one on 3DS.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

A Train is really good but I never should have paid full price. That's more a personal failing on sticking to one game than a reflection on its quality.

It's seriously good though, while it lasts. It just ramps up in complexity after the first few hours to a level that you really have to be into city management to get the best of. It's like, I just figured out station clocks and schedule time efficiency and suddenly I have to manage inter-city trade and forestry. I regularly find myself wanting to start it up again, but I'd have to go through those first few hours again as a refresher, and I'm afraid I'd get burned out again. I guess I just needed another level or two of tutorial in there.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"Up to 50% off" means there's a chance that only Virtual Console games are 50% off and the rest are like. 15% off

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mordiceius posted:

loving hell yes. If Stella Glow is in the school of the latter like FFT, then it is extremely my poo poo.

It's funny, I enjoyed XCOM a lot more than Fire Emblem Awakening. I think it was because in XCOM, all my soldiers were generic characters, so death didn't phase me beyond the pain of loosing high ranked folks. Fire Emblem Awakening bothered me since everyone is named characters, I would have extreme anxiety about taking anyone into battle.

Have you played a different fire emblem than Awakening? I'm just curious since that game's poo poo as an SRPG.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I hope the Smash DLC goes on sale...

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Haha. Keep hoping, pal.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Star Guarded posted:

I'm gonna grab 15% off eshop cards at Best Buy to make the deals a little better. There's a bunch of stuff I wanna grab, like Wind Waker HD, so hopefully some stuff will be marked down a good bit.

When do those go on sale?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Austrian mook posted:

Have you played a different fire emblem than Awakening? I'm just curious since that game's poo poo as an SRPG.

I played more hours than I can remember of Final Fantasy Tactics back in the day. I also remember trying Disgaea when that first came out but it never really hooking me (despite how much I wanted to love it). Oh, and XCOM of course. But that's about it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm fine with Fire Emblem's permadeath because "keeping everyone alive" is way trickier than just plowing through no matter the cost, it's basically a difficulty tweak. But I like XCOM's more because it actually impacts my story. I'm not happy when a guy dies, but it's memorable when an old favorite goes out in a blaze of glory to save the rest of the team, or a rookie misses a point blank shot and gets gibbed in response. In Fire Emblem I just restart the mission.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
From the 3DS Eshop:
Sale Ends 12/02

Fire Emblem Awakening: $27.99
Metroid (NES): $2.49
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: $23.99
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D: $20.99
Azure Striker Gunvolt: $7.50
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon: $27.99
BoxBoy $3.49
Ace Attorney Trilogy : $20.09
Shante and Pirate's Curse: $9.99
Crashmo: $4.49
Kid Icarus Uprising: $24.49
Rune Factory 4: $19.99
3D Sonic 2: $2.99
3D Outrun: $4.19
Minis on the Move: $6.49
Punch Out (NES) $2.49
Steamworld Dig : $4.99
Mario Golf World Tour: $20.99
1001 Spikes: $9.99
Inazuma Eleven: $9.99
VVVVVV: $7.99
Retro City Rampage DX: $4.99
Mutant Mudds: $4.49
Siesta Fiesta: $2.99

Dehry fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 25, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think anyone anywhere at any point in time has ever not restarted after someone died in fire emblem

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

$25 is an excellent price point for Kid Icarus, and as long as you're not a whiny baby bitch about the controls you'll love it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Not a Children posted:

$25 is an excellent price point for Kid Icarus, and as long as you're not a whiny baby bitch about the controls you'll love it

I would be playing that game so much more if my hand didn't start to hurt after an hour or so of gameplay
HD remake when, Nintendo? Come on, it deserves it more than Twilight Princess

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think your best bet would probably be to buy eShop cards the next time Best Buy does their 10% off deal.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I'm fine with Fire Emblem's permadeath because "keeping everyone alive" is way trickier than just plowing through no matter the cost, it's basically a difficulty tweak. But I like XCOM's more because it actually impacts my story. I'm not happy when a guy dies, but it's memorable when an old favorite goes out in a blaze of glory to save the rest of the team, or a rookie misses a point blank shot and gets gibbed in response. In Fire Emblem I just restart the mission.

Restarting upon any death or just pushing through and accepting the consequences are both cool ways to play FE, but I suspect no one will ever try the latter unless IntSys actually makes it a game mode

Augus posted:

I would be playing that game so much more if my hand didn't start to hurt after an hour or so of gameplay

Your right hand or your left hand?

also ya that's a pretty okay sale

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Looper posted:

Restarting upon any death or just pushing through and accepting the consequences are both cool ways to play FE, but I suspect no one will ever try the latter unless IntSys actually makes it a game mode

Your right hand or your left hand?

also ya that's a pretty okay sale

I write left-handed, so my right hand that's holding the DS gets achy. Then I need to find something to awkwardly lean the DS on, then I need to shift positions over and over, it's a big mess really. Only a problem I have with this game in particular.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm left-handed and don't really want to buy that attachment for one game, even if it's a good one. It's just been sitting there unplayed.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Augus posted:

I write left-handed, so my right hand that's holding the DS gets achy. Then I need to find something to awkwardly lean the DS on, then I need to shift positions over and over, it's a big mess really. Only a problem I have with this game in particular.

Have you tried the patented pillow method?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dehry posted:

From the 3DS Eshop:

So is any of that ever going to go on sale on the PAL store? :v:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think anyone anywhere at any point in time has ever not restarted after someone died in fire emblem

I cant imagine how frustrating it would be for someone to actually do this at certain junctures, especially in the GBA one where the difficulty is much harder than in Awakening and you will def lose a few people. I mean you could also do this in XCOM and other strategy games as well. I would think it's easier to press onward than commit yourself to savescumming and wasting hours on certain missions to save a character.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

tbf unless you're playing on the hardest difficulty it's usually easy enough to beat most FEs with no deaths as long as you keep in mind to make sure your squishier units stay out of the enemy's range.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

So is any of that ever going to go on sale on the PAL store? :v:
Those things do get sales in the PAL store only most of those were last discounted at least six months ago.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's not all that hard. There's RNG yeah, but you can usually make it so you have the best odds possible once you're used to the mechanics, and you get a lot of helpful information, like move range, detailed information on what's likely to happen during an attack...

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Augus posted:

Only play for an hour then

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MinibarMatchman posted:

I cant imagine how frustrating it would be for someone to actually do this at certain junctures, especially in the GBA one where the difficulty is much harder than in Awakening and you will def lose a few people. I mean you could also do this in XCOM and other strategy games as well. I would think it's easier to press onward than commit yourself to savescumming and wasting hours on certain missions to save a character.

I beat hard mode in Fire Emblem 7 as a child without losing a single character. It's not really all that difficult.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dehry posted:

From the 3DS Eshop:
Sale Ends 12/02

Wait, is Outrun just like 80 cents off? I thought it was normally $4.99.

Anyway, I was hoping to see Ace Attorney Dual Destinies or Super Mario 3D Land on this list. I might bite for Luigi's Mansion, anyway.

Mario Golf is a good choice, imo. There's a ton of dress-up stuff for your mii golfer, the courses are pretty fun, the gimmick modes add a lot of weird-rear end obstacles and stuff to deal with, and the 3D is some of the best on the system. If you like golf games, I recommend it.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Of note from the Wii U US Eshop (check the price drops section as it has more stuff in it then the specialty ad does.)

Wind Waker HD: 34.99
Mario Golf (64) 4.99
Pikmin 3: 38.99
Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Wii): 12.99
Metroid Fusion (GBA): 4.79
Don't Starve GE: 7.49
Captain Toad: 27.99
Nano Assault Neo: 7.49
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: 9.99
DKC: Tropical Freeze: 34.99
Child of Light: 7.49
Steamworld Dig: 4.99
AVGN: 4.99
Star Fox Command (DS) 4.99
Never Alone: 5,99
Rayman Legends: 19.99
Pushmo World: 4.99
Adventure Time Finn and Jake Investigations: 19.99
Wonderful 101: 19.49
Alphadia Genesis: 7.49
Mighty Switch Force HDE: 4.99
Mighty Switch Force 2: 2.99
Spongebob Squarepants Plankton's something or other: 9.99 (75% off, jeez)
Ninja Strike Dangerous Dash: 2.99
Amazing Spider-man UE: 14.99
Skylanders SuperChargers Portal Owners edition: 29.99 This is the newest one
Amazing Spider-man 2: 19.99
Transformers Rise of the Dark Spark: 19.99
Mutant Mudds Deluxe: 499.

I left out some of the stuff that looks like shovel ware.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't think many of these are even remotely good prices. Most I could buy on ebay or even amazon at a better price and non-digital.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'll definitely grab Sonic 2 3D at that price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to buy Wonderful 101 and DKC Returns probably...love sales.