Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I have made 2-3 year naps with blood nations a few times.

You can guess how those ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Lost one eye, implying he's carrying around the other one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiUt5HuW3xc

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Hi, I'm Pangaea, a land so overflowing with naked women that I need to ferry them from my forts to farm provinces so that they do not starve out my own forts and the mages therein. I'm also apparently the victor of NoobsRUs.

I'm gonna come out and say it- I don't believe I deserve this victory. I won more from better players fighting each other than due to good planning or play on my own part.

Let's start at the beginning. My pretender was Treelor: Lord of the Trees, a f4/e4/w9 Statue of War with turmoil 3 sloth 2 growth 3 lucky 3 magic 2 (I think?). He was also imprisoned, which sorta shot myself in the foot as far as planning to use those free barbarians from him, needing to wait until year 3 to get him. With the bless I had, I planned to primarily use White Centaurs and Revelers for my armies, supplemented by Manaed chaff. This nearly immediately got forgotten as I got into the merc business, buying up merc forces to supplement and even supplant my expansion. This turned out to be a bad idea in the long run, as expenses piled up. Still, I didn't fairly well early on I think, managing to take a half dozen water provinces near my cap as well as expand around decently.

Carcer's a good friend of mine, and we agreed early on to try and keep to ourselves if we could. Thankfully we seemed to be fairly distant from one another and this proved easy. Around the year and a half mark, I convinced him to go to war against Sauromatia with me, a plan that turned out badly for me. I took too long getting into position after he'd started and only managed to grab a couple of provinces by the end of it, and Sauro going AI mid-way actually screwed me over, with my army of ~4 different merc groups got shattered by him primary army, whose formation had been reshuffled by the AI to get first strike on elephants.

It was at this point that I made the biggest mistake, and something I think I won't repeat again. Tien Chi had had awful early game expansion. They didn't get a second province until turn 8, though I understand that his cap circle was BS. I figured I could go to war with him, finish it quickly. Turns out White Centaurs die to Wot5E when they have an S9 bless to let them pretty much ignore the first killing blow against them, letting them strike back. I was pushed back, and then just as I'd finished with the remains of Sauro C'tis decided to invade me. At this point I was in a war on 2.5 fronts, and I realize I would lose unless I closed that down to 1. C'tis had been badgering me with messages saying we could peace out if he got to keep the stuff he'd taken, but I figured he wouldn't be offering that if he thought he could win the war. Why offer to stop a war you think you can win, right? So instead I reached out to TC, offered them peace while keeping everything they took from me, and focused on taking out C'tis. I was right and C'tis wasn't able to hold back manaeds, and in fact tried using large groups of undead, when all my mages except Pans are either h1 or h2 priests. It didn't go well for him.

Through this I'd dabbled in various researches, aiming eventually for Evo 7 for Storm of Thorns, something all my Dryad Mothers could cast. This helped a lot, and as things finished with C'tis I decided to get in on the 3-wat fight over the remains of TNN, managing to take a bunch of their stuff and ending up surrounding TC to the south and north. It was at this point that Mictlan contacted me about Agartha and eventually convinced me to war with him against Agartha. I then did the stupid thing in listening to Carcer and let myself be convinced that Mictlan wasn't planning to join in the fight, and ceased my attacks. Like Bug Squash said, we both should have done better at communicating.

After this, I went to war with Tien Chi again, won, Carcer took out Mictlan, and it was me against him. At this point I had well over a hundred of each type of gem, I'd been working up a blood economy using a set of Blood Thorn armor or something like that that I'd traded gems for from Mictlan before he kicked he bucket.I started making Lightless Lanterns as fast as I could, having managed to get one of my forts on a province with garnet mages to give me plentiful F1 mages. Then I empowered my pretender to f6 to cast eternal pyre, and promptly had it dispelled the next turn. ~230 fire gems down the drain. But I had Vengeful waters! Dispelled, 80 gems gone. It was at this point that I decided to start reinforcing my spells with gems now that Agartha apparently had an s3 mage, recast Vengeful waters with something like 60-70 additional water gems, got Gift of Health up, and had at this point empowered a Pan up so that with items he was S6/B6, and was researching blood to start making use of that. I had been so frugal with gems before starting to war with Agartha, and now I was spending them. I had foudn a site that gave me S1 mages that with Crystal Coins and Skullcaps could cast Antimagic for my forces to help deal with Olms and their paralysis, Rain to reduce the strength of his magma babies, Warriors of Niefelhiem to give everyone resistance to fire. My armies were ready and hundreds of manaeds lead by Pans and Dryad mothers set out and began taking provinces.

And then Agartha surrendered and went AI before I really got to use any of that. The end.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Being irl friends before the game starts is the best strategem.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
this seems unfair

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Pomp posted:

this seems unfair

It just gives a few slaves what is unfair?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Fairly unfair to the virgins who might have been expecting to be rescued from their foul captor, I suppose.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shoeless posted:

Agartha losing to Maenads.

...The counter to Maenad swarms is Earthquake, or Rain of Stones, if you're using E. Agartha has some of the easiest access to Earthquake of any nation in the game. Hell, with boots they can get it off turn 1 before any mass Prot buffs can even hit. Pan went with a similar strategy in my newbie game and, as MA Ulm, that's exactly how I proceeded to walk straight through his massed hordes of them, admittedly with a Black Plate front line once I actually went on the offence. Think one of my mages got something like 1k kills in a single battle via a RoS trap. While Agartha admittedly doesn't really have A access for RoS, they can do the first choice even easier. Even with Gift of Health up, just a few casts of Earthquake should kill most of the Maenads given they are Prot 0.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

Fairly unfair to the virgins who might have been expecting to be rescued from their foul captor, I suppose.

This is dominions. No one is good.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Pharnakes posted:

You're God, you decide what's good and what isn't. Besides, the virgins should be grateful they get to die for God and not some two-bit warlock.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Barono posted:

You're God, you decide what's good and what isn't. Besides, the virgins should be grateful they get to die for God and not some two-bit warlock*.

*God may actually be a different two-bit warlock.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
But he's the right one. His candles are white.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah I reckon Carcer could have won, had I not so thoroughly broken his spirit.
:black101:
Pyrrhus was regarded by Hannable as second only to Alexander.
:eng99:

Decrepus posted:

Being irl friends before the game starts is the best strategem.
Dominion balances this by destroying friendships.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Lord Koth posted:

...The counter to Maenad swarms is Earthquake

Carcer mentioned (IIRC) that Pan had GoH or something so t1 equake wasn't killing a majority of the maenads right off, and buffs were coming up real quick to get them protected

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

...The counter to Maenad swarms is Earthquake, or Rain of Stones, if you're using E. Agartha has some of the easiest access to Earthquake of any nation in the game. Hell, with boots they can get it off turn 1 before any mass Prot buffs can even hit. Pan went with a similar strategy in my newbie game and, as MA Ulm, that's exactly how I proceeded to walk straight through his massed hordes of them, admittedly with a Black Plate front line once I actually went on the offence. Think one of my mages got something like 1k kills in a single battle via a RoS trap. While Agartha admittedly doesn't really have A access for RoS, they can do the first choice even easier. Even with Gift of Health up, just a few casts of Earthquake should kill most of the Maenads given they are Prot 0.

I tried this. He had gift of health up meaning the maenands had about 18hp, so the first turn earthquake didn't do much damage and before the secound turn one could go off the mass buffs had hit, including mass regeneration which largely undid the earthquake damage. I could probably kill the maenad swarms if they pushed deep into my territory but that would have allowed him to scoop up thrones and win without engaging my armies.

The secound problem with this was that my oracles were wierdly vulnerable to vengeful water and died just about each time they were attacked, whereas the waters bounced off my earthreaders msot of the time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This is dominions. No one is good.

Still, I wish there was some kind of routine in Dom4 scanning for your highest income and altering events to accommodate your probable strategy. Getting stuff you don't or can't use is always annoying. Sometimes I'm playing a completely bloodless nation and end up with tons of unusable blood slaves no-one wants. Even the ability to grind them down to astral pearls like regular gems would be a nice compromise.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I was supposed to fight 4 Markata archers, dammit. I had even named the Scouts like JA2 Mercs and created rich backstories for them.

On the other hand, AI Kitfox is being more successful than Kitfox.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 24, 2015

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
The AI cheats and looks at your moves before making its own moves

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Still, I wish there was some kind of routine in Dom4 scanning for your highest income and altering events to accommodate your probable strategy. Getting stuff you don't or can't use is always annoying. Sometimes I'm playing a completely bloodless nation and end up with tons of unusable blood slaves no-one wants. Even the ability to grind them down to astral pearls like regular gems would be a nice compromise.
Other than like Earth, most paths have pretty good synergy with Blood! Get empowering and then hunting.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

Other than like Earth, most paths have pretty good synergy with Blood! Get empowering and then hunting.

I prefer killing everything and let skeletons rule, out of spite.

Blood hunting gets hard if there's no population left

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Diabl0658 posted:

The AI cheats and looks at your moves before making its own moves

Heh, I wish, but it's so bad at moving from province to province!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Any time I AI in a game, the computer immediately starts doing a better job than me.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

3 more newbie questions. This is what I think happens :

1) PD goes in the middle of the deployment area without orders, and automatically patrols (as per the patrol order)

2) Garrison (troops not assigned to a commander) do not default to patrol orders, but rather "hide in the fort and cower" orders.

3) When an army storms a castle in the same turn that a relief army attacks the province, the sieging army first fights the incoming army, and then storms the castle. The incoming army does not magically teleport inside the castle to defend against the invaders (unless they are stealthy).

Did I miss anything?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I dunno if PD patrols for stealthy dudes with the same effectiveness as an army with the exact same makeup would, but they don't patrol down unrest like the army command (they don't kill malcontents, you just get 1 unrest reduction per 10 PD). This is dominions, though, so I'm certain of nothing :v:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Fat Samurai posted:

3) When an army storms a castle in the same turn that a relief army attacks the province, the sieging army first fights the incoming army, and then storms the castle. The incoming army does not magically teleport inside the castle to defend against the invaders (unless they are stealthy).

The first part is right, but even if you sneak an army into a fort that's being stormed, they don't actually participate in the defense, since they are hiding.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I like the idea of an entire army hiding somewhere in a fort while a massive battle gets fought in the courtyard.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The God in his ultimate wisdom mandated the construction of castle rooms to hide in when things get scary. The world is a scary place for a hundred-yard long snake god.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
pd troops don't exist until a fight starts in their province

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Schrödinger's Chaff.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

We can probably find instances of this poo poo hsppening for real in WW1 or the eastern front, just replacing earf snakes with Stalin.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

COE4 THREAD IS UP

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753823

:f5:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Have you guys seen this?

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/extra-endgame-spells

Most of the spells seem pretty cool.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Man, there's a certain Earth spell in that list which makes me really afraid for capitals.

Also an Air spell boosting research? That would be perfect for some min-maxing with drain scales. :v:

Edit:

But who am I kidding? With that mod everyone would take an Earthsnake-pretender and rush that certain spell's school just to headshot every enemy capital. :shepface:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
It also needs S3 and has only 3 range tho.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Finnish Flasher posted:

It also needs S3 and has only 3 range tho.

On the other hand, an invading army can just plop down a lab 3 provinces from your cap and then send down a comet of doom. And every fort less then 3 provinces from one of your forts becomes a deathly threat.

Depending on how accurate the spell description is (I got burned by spells claiming to rain down total annihilation more then once), every game with that mod will probably degenerate into mutual assured destruction using E6S3-wizards like nukes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

How do the fear spells/auras work? The usual morale rout check happens when the squad have lost some of their members, but from what I understand spells check whenever they hit. Also, does a Fear spell that hits only a single unit makes the entire squad rout, or only that unit? And what about Auras? Do they check every turn?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Libluini posted:

On the other hand, an invading army can just plop down a lab 3 provinces from your cap and then send down a comet of doom. And every fort less then 3 provinces from one of your forts becomes a deathly threat.

Depending on how accurate the spell description is (I got burned by spells claiming to rain down total annihilation more then once), every game with that mod will probably degenerate into mutual assured destruction using E6S3-wizards like nukes.

This is pretty much what a war between pretender gods would look like though. You want godhood, well say goodbye to any large concentration of people who believe in you and embrace brutal guerrilla warfare forever

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Some of those spells are pretty okay but god drat that guy doesn't know poo poo about balance.

Also I like that a bunch of his high-path spells are just "summon PG chassis"

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

Some of those spells are pretty okay but god drat that guy doesn't know poo poo about balance.

This is also fully keeping in line with Dominions' design philosophy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Also I like that a bunch of his high-path spells are just "summon PG chassis"

Actual like or sarcastic like, I can't tell.

• Locked thread